Start by marking “Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)” as Want to Read:
Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)

Menagerie (Menagerie #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  2,849 Ratings  ·  636 Reviews
From New York Times bestselling author Rachel Vincent comes a richly imagined, provocative new series set in the dark mythology of the Menagerie…

When Delilah Marlow visits a famous traveling carnival, Metzger's Menagerie, she is an ordinary woman in a not-quite-ordinary world. But under the macabre circus black-top, she discovers a fierce, sharp-clawed creature lurking ju
Published September 29th 2015 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Menagerie, please sign up.

Rachel I honestly don't know. Unfortunately, I can't anticipate all of the twists that will occur during plotting, or even during edits. Sorry!

Emily May
Sep 22, 2015 Emily May rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-uf, arc, 2015
If monsters could look like humans, and humans could look like monsters, how could anyone ever really be sure that the right people stood on the outside of all those cages?

3 1/2 stars. If it wasn't for the slightly messy and rushed ending, this would be a solid four stars. One thing is sure about Ms Vincent - she knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat.

Menagerie presents a paranormal alternate reality that is unlike anything I've ever read. It's creative, it's fantastical, but the most
karen
Oct 27, 2015 karen rated it really liked it

this is my first rachel vincent book.

i'd heard good things about her, but always from readers who like urban fantasy or that kind of YA fantasy romance that i'm just not into. this book sounded like a departure from her usual style, and i've had a lot of luck with sideshow/carnival novels this year, so when i saw it listed as a giveaway on the reading room, i figured "might as well," and then there was WINNING!!

but i did not expect to love it as much as i did.

because, yeah - it's pretty much ur
Rachel
Aug 19, 2015 Rachel added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey, guys, I just wanted to let everyone know that with MENAGERIE coming out soon (Sept 29, 2015!!!) I'm seeing lots of reviews and "shelving" of the book here on GR. Unfortunately, lots of people are shelving it as YA, and MENAGERIE is NOT YA. Nor is it romance. My publisher classifies it as fantasy/commercial fiction.

While MENAGERIE addresses some (very serious) issues I tend to return to in my work, it is a very different kind of book than I've ever written. It's not simply one woman's story/
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Menagerie is one of those books that completely split my opinion. Some things I thought were great, others had me barrowing my face in my hands with frustration.

But first thing’s first. The book’s concept is unique and intriguing, and I am happy to say that the execution didn’t make me think differently. The plot is fresh and that, combined with the fact that this novel is devoid of romance, makes Menagerie stand out from other generic books from the genre.
But if monsters could look like huma
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

MY FIRST FAVORITE BOOK OF 2016!

Okay, on with the review!!

In this traveling circus there are all of these beautiful cryptid creatures & they live in horrible conditions. You only have a few that are really dangerous. Some stuff went down way back when & the government stripped all cryptids of their rights &they were under no protection, even the hybrids. They were treated so horrible in this place I couldn't hardly stand it!!!!!!!

I loved almost
Alyssa
Aug 21, 2015 Alyssa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-releases
OKAY I AM FINISHED.

While the first half of this book was ROUGH for me (I was looking at a 1-star rating for this book, to be honest), I slowly got used to all the disturbing things that went on (oh my gosh am I a psychopath?! That sounded really bad...), and started to get into the story itself.

Basically, once you can get past human captivity, torture, forced labor/slavery, and some sexual harassment... you can enjoy this one. Which makes me feel like a psychopath because HOW CAN ONE JUST GET US
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

I knew precisely two things about this audiobook going in: Rachel Vincent wrote it, and she published a blog post stating that “MENAGERIE is not urban fantasy, nor is it romance, nor is it YA.” And, that was enough to hook me because 1. Vincent can write! And 2. I wanted to sample this genre bending story first-hand.

I’ve read a couple of reviews that have compared it to Anne Bishop’s THE OTHERS series, and that’s not too far off base, albeit not 100% accurate either. It’
Andie
Jan 04, 2016 Andie rated it really liked it
"Welcome to the menagerie, where beauty and grace shine from every cage and peek from every shadow. You’ve never seen anything like the exotic wonders within, so keep your eyes open, ladies and gentlemen, because in our world of spectacle and illusion, what you see isn’t always what you get.”

Right off the bat, this is unlike anything Vincent has ever written. So if you’re expecting her usual romantic/fun stories, well, don’t.

Menagerie is a dark, provocative, and disturbing story. It depicts a
Vippi
Jan 07, 2016 Vippi rated it it was amazing

If that girl was a monster, anyone could be a monster. That's why the world was so terrified of another reaping. Because just like last time, humanity would never see it coming.
really be sure that the right people stood on the outside of all those cages?

It is dark, provocative, at times even disturbing. It depicts a world where cryptids – protohuman hybrids – are harassed and stripped of
Eilonwy

4-1/2 stars -- just short of perfect.
Delilah Marlow leads a pretty dull life, living with her boyfriend and working as a bank teller. Then one night she visits Metzger's Menagerie, a traveling showcase of cryptids -- shapeshifters, mermaids, djinn, a minotaur, among many others -- and is suddenly declared a cryptid herself. She is stripped of her clothing, belongings, bank account, and all her rights, and sold to the menagerie by the state of Oklahoma. Trapped and helpless, she is abused, debas
Liz
Jan 19, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
This one is without any doubt amongst the best books I have read in 2015, and while reading it I was often reminded of this quote:

Set in an alternative reality where life will never be the same either for human beings or cryptids after the Reaping it is not the usual or expected story about supernatural beings. When Delilah Marlow, an ordinary woman with an extra-ordinary fascination visits Metzger's Menagerie she expects many things but not the ruthlessness of the workers towards the cryptid
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Mar 27, 2016 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
This was a tough book to read. The subject matter made it hard for me to turn the page. My indignation for the fictional characters ran so deep, I wasn't sure what compelled me to read on.

Please note, there isn't romance in this story. I do however have hope for some in the future. But I also fear it will never come to that.

Meanwhile I'm disappointed the next book isn't out yet. I got this as an audible daily deal. I will be reading the next installment.

The narrator for the audio book did a real
Glass
Sep 26, 2015 Glass rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely brilliant.
Aug 10, 2016 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Corina
Oct 17, 2016 Corina rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
4.5 WOW

What an amazing book with a fabulous plot. Kept me flipping pages like crazy. I did spoil myself with the ending, as usual when it gets too nerve-racking. But I can't wait until the next book, which will be out in 6 month, ugh.

The premise was a menagerie of mythical beings. Usual "freak shows" and crazy exhibitions have biological rarities, referred to as "freaks of nature". Using humans with unique physical looks and/or diseases. But Menagerie was a circus of hybrids and mythical creatu
Marta Cox
Aug 18, 2015 Marta Cox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
This book is set in what I can only describe as a sort of parallel universe. It's set in the US but it's completely different to the world that we live in. In Ms Vincent's reality the things that go bump in the night are real and just about every mythological or paranormal creature you've read about is actually corporal. Now here's where things get a little tricky to explain so I will try my best. In 1986 thousands of children were murdered by their parents under some type of compunction but ...more
Hannah *BeneaththeInk*
Jan 13, 2016 Hannah *BeneaththeInk* rated it really liked it
4 stars

Rudolph shook his head to disguise the chill traveling up his spine. This female could incite riots. She could save the carnival—or be the end of everything he’d been working toward his entire life. “You must break her, Gallagher. She is the spark, and if that spark kindles, it will burn my menagerie to the ground.”

This is unlike any paranormal book I've read.

I don't even know how to describe it. There were flaws, but the incredible array of mythology and depth of the characters was tan
Hailee (haibooklovers)
Jul 23, 2016 Hailee (haibooklovers) rated it it was amazing
I am irritated at myself for having this on my shelf for so long without having opened it.

I loved every minute of this book. It's weird and brutal and violent and unlike anything I have ever read.

The world the author builds here is maybe my favorite part. I have many questions and hopefully I will have answers in the next book!
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I loved this audiobook! I love it when an audiobook can completely pull me into another world like this one did. I couldn't get this story out of my head even when I wasn't actively listening to it. Everything about this story was so vivid and I really felt for the characters. I bought this audiobook when it was on sale months ago but I had no idea how wonderful the story was at that time. I am so glad that I decided to pick this one up.

The w
Maria Angelica
Oct 20, 2016 Maria Angelica rated it really liked it
Shelves: tenho, lido-2016
4.5
Eu sabia que adoraria esse livro quando eu resolvi compra-lo no ano passado. Estou muito feliz que minhas expectativas foram atendidas.
Aviso de cara para quem não tem estômago para ler sobre qualquer tipo de abuso, seja físico ou emocional, que esse livro talvez não seja para você. Mesmo não tendo cenas altamente gráficas, por muitas vezes fica muito claro o que está acontecendo por trás das cortinas do Menagerie. Não é nada gratuito e sim necessário para ilustrar as condições horrorosas que
Scott  Hitchcock
A fun and easy urban fantasy story taking place where you could guess. Factoring in a lot of mythological creatures with some twists. What would happen if you weren't quite human? An interesting concept. The series is supposed to have three books. I'm not sure it interested me enough to make a story line out of two more books but it was good as a standalone nonetheless.

This was an audiobook. The narrator was good, not special.
Lauren
The more I think about it, the less impressed I am with this book. It was a solid read but it could have been better.

The Good

The world building was rock solid. Unlike a lot of poorly thought out urban fantasies this novel took the time to craft a realistic world. It was disturbing. If intelligent animals could speak this would be their experience of modern life. I had that thought a number of times and it made me really uncomfortable. Which is fantastic. The best sort of fiction pushes me to ref
ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)

3.5 STARS!!!!

Couple of slow chapters in the book i just wished for more action, but the story is fresh, creative and has a very strong story line.... i was glued till the very last page!
For the romance lovers = NO ROMANCE! Didn't really miss it to tell you the truth.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
What a great interesting story that was everything I expected and more. Only complaint, too many POV's.
Glory
Feb 13, 2016 Glory rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
4.5 звезды

Из неотправленного письма автору:
«…и если б я знала, что вы та самая Рейчел Винсент, написавшая «Отданную душу», которая показалась мне детским лепетом, то в жизни бы не подошла к этому роману. Но я не знала. Как не знаю и, что вы там ели, пили и курили, чтобы после блеклой и поверхностной «Души» вдруг разродиться «Зверинцем». Такого допинга не существует.
Теперь непонятно, радоваться мне, что не пропустила эту историю, или рыдать. В любом случае, автор, гореть вам (и вашему предполагае
Beth
Sep 13, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Menagerie is the start of a new series from Rachel Vincent that is sure to tantalize your imagination.

Delilah thought she was an average human girl when she finds herself enslaved as a supernatural in a carnival.

In this dystopian world, the average human treats any supernatural as chattel to be owned, controlled and even experimented on at the owner’s whims. Supernaturals have no rights and Delilah finds herself considered one of them after an incident while visiting a carnival where she defend
nick
Sep 20, 2015 nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

3.5/5

Menagerie is only my second book by Rachel Vincent, The Stars Never Rise being the first. I loved the writing, the story-telling and the characters in The Stars Never Rise and knew that I wanted to try more by the author. Menagerie also captured my attention because the idea seemed so creative with the book being set in a traveling circus housing all sorts of supernatural creatures. I didn't really know what to expect when I started Menagerie, but it made me feel very conflicting emotions -
AH
Pre-reading thoughts:Ooooh....a new series by Rachel Vincent. Can't wait!

I'm not sure if many readers remember those old traveling carnivals, complete with the rides, the games of chance, and the freak shows. Menagerie takes the traveling carnival and puts all sorts of cryptid creatures to work as slaves performers.

It's a different world, a world where the cryptids are hunted down, experimented upon or put to work in carnivals. In this world, cryptids have no status. Delilah comes from a human
Kara-karina
Sep 18, 2015 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
The closest I can compare this new series from Rachel Vincent is The Others by Anne Bishop and Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs. It has the same level of nasty tension between people and cryptids as in Bishop's books, and it has mythology more familiar to Briggs. And it's also wholesomely awesome! So, if you are a fan of one or the other, buy it! It has a decent price on kindle.

Delilah Marlow spent all her life thinking she is human. Sure, she is very uncomfortable with human policy towards cr
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A darkly imaginative and provocative tale, Menagerie introduces a new fantasy series from Rachel Vincent for an adult audience.

On her twenty fifth birthday, Delilah Marlow's boyfriend presents her with tickets to Metzger's Menagerie, a travelling carnival, whose attractions include cryptids, creatures of legend and myth kept captive since the horror of The Reaping. Delilah has never been comfortable with society's treatment of cryptids, and she is horrified when she witnesses a keeper abuse a yo
That's Normal's B...: Menagerie (MAIN DISCUSSION SPOILERS) 9 48 Dec 28, 2015 05:00PM
NOT YOUNG ADULT 3 52 Sep 11, 2015 08:04AM
Sweet! New Rachel Vincent! 3 48 Aug 18, 2015 05:19PM
  • The Voodoo Killings (Kincaid Strange, #1)
  • Crucible Zero (House Immortal, #3)
  • Our Lady of the Ice
  • Dreamstrider
  • When I Wake
  • The Veil (Devil's Isle, #1)
  • Made For Sin
  • Thinning the Herd
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • The Weight of Feathers
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Cold Burn of Magic (Black Blade, #1)
  • The Wanderers (The Wanderers, #1)
  • Veiled Magic
  • The Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Stories, #1)
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with
More about Rachel Vincent...

Menagerie (3 books)
  • Spectacle (Menagerie, #2)
  • Untitled (Menagerie, #3)

“But if monsters could look like humans, and humans could look like monsters, how could anyone ever really be sure that the right people stood on the outside of all those cages?” 13 likes
“What have you eaten today?"

"Humble pie, my own words, and a little crow. All three taste like shit.”
4 likes