Start by marking “The Shadow Box” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Box

The Shadow Box

In this compelling dramatic triptych, three terminal cancer patients dwell in separate cottages on a hospital grounds. The three are attended and visited by family and close friends: Agnes and her mother Felicity, estranged further by the latter's dementia; Brian and Beverly whose martial complications are exacerbated by Brian's new lover, Mark; and Joe and Maggie, unready ...more
Published January 4th 2011 by Samuel French, Inc. (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Box

Eric Kibler
Jan 13, 2013 Eric Kibler rated it really liked it
A play about death. By focusing on three dying people and their loved ones, it illustrates the five stages of dying identified by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross. But it also focuses on the idea that, while dying, people are still living. Enjoy every sandwich, as Warren Zevon said. Very affecting.

I'm giving it a second reading before auditions tonight.
Sherry (sethurner)
The Shadow Box won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1977. The play is set in an unnamed hospital with cottages for the terminally ill, and centers on three people (Joe, Brian, Felicity) dying of unnamed illnesses, and their families. The stories are separate, braided together through the device of an unseen interviewer who allows the patients and family members to voice their inner thoughts and fears not exposed in other dialog.

The idea is that everybody dies, that very few people want to acknow
Tiffany
Jan 08, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this script. I am performing as Maggie in a cut version of this show for a One Act play and I absolutely love it.

For character development purposes I have read the full version of this script many times over and I completely reccomend it as a read or a view. It is completely depressing and it will make you cry but as with most sad things, there are some really funny and beautiful moments here.

It's a very artistic show in the way that things all happen at once and especially in
Jordan
Dec 05, 2012 Jordan rated it liked it
The Play shadow box by Michael Christoper was a sad play with out a happy ending. At some points in the play the reader just keeps wondering ok when is something going to happen. The start of the play is a little bit confusing because it switchs between many people such as joe then brian and this is all going on while talking to "Voice of Interviewer". At some points in the play though the reader really feels for these families. The book in my opinion is that it could have been a bit more fast p ...more
Karen
Apr 27, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: theater
For sure not an easy read, but an interesting play. I got into the story of mother and daughter--loyal daughter caring for her dying mother, always sacrificing, always overshadowed, never appreciated. Yep, it's a hard read.

I played said mother, Felicity. It was the best work I ever did on stage. I don't know why. I guess spiteful, blind old women just fit with me. Scary.

The daughter's name was Agnes.
Liz
Mar 04, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this show/script. I was lucky enough to be introduced to this show through my college being a member of the stage crew. There are three cabins at this retreat home for terminally ill patients and their families. Each family is different: an old women and her daughter, a heterosexual couple and their son, and a homosexual couple and their drunk friend. The show goes through the emotions of each character and their families coping with the fact that they are dying.
Mary
Dec 01, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays, favorites
I highly recommend this play. I fell in love with it. I performed a scene from it with my friend. The character I played, Beverly, is the ex-wife of a dying patient, Brian. The scene involves Brian's BOYFRIEND, Mark, and Beverly discussing the hardships of falling in love and Mark's struggle to take care of him. In reality, they are both equally afraid to lose him.
Vickie
Sep 01, 2007 Vickie rated it it was amazing
A play that is not only very well-written, but oh so poignant for me. Emmy and her circle of close and best friends performed it in their senior year at high school. What a gift they fashioned for themselves and their audiences, to close out an excellent high school career - they did it powerfully, compassionately, and with love, together.
Michelle
Aug 02, 2007 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Another play that I read and then was cast in. It is a beautiful, tragic, sometimes harsh play about death (and life). I recommend it even if you aren't familiar with Kubler-Ross' theories about death.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 09, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: released, pc, read-in-2005
It's a bit of a depressing play but worth the read. Those who are left behind when loved ones die often have a harder time at letting go than those who are actually dying and that's what this play addresses.
Julian Dunn
Jun 17, 2016 Julian Dunn rated it it was amazing
Considering taking a role in a production of this play in the fall, so I bought it -- and it's very powerful. Can't wait to take it on.
Matt
May 05, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play-hunt
I had the great privilege of doing a scene from this play and playing the wonderful role of Brian. Every word in this one is filled to the brim with purpose and life.
Selby
Aug 03, 2013 Selby added it
Shelves: plays
I played Beverley. This is the second-to-last play I was ever in. Joanne Woodward played that role on TV.
sycobabel
Sep 01, 2010 sycobabel rated it really liked it
Brilliant.
Mark Woodland
Jul 28, 2011 Mark Woodland rated it it was amazing
Very serious play that looks at three families with a member at a hospice for cancer, each of whom is dying. Excellently well written & a real heart-wrencher. Won the Pulitzer Prize.
Trevor
Aug 14, 2014 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I played the role of Brian in my undergrad and often lifted monologues from this play to audition with or teach from.
Jim
Feb 13, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Life-affirming. I recommend everyone read this play. I thought it was incredible.
Alyse
Feb 08, 2009 Alyse rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, 2009-plays
A play about life, death, and everything in between. I highly recommend it. There are roles for all types of actors.
Amanda Valdez
Apr 27, 2012 Amanda Valdez rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite plays of all time. 3 stories. Poignant monologues. Absolutely beautiful arcs for Michael's characters.
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2011
Tintri
Tintri rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Joan Nelson
Joan Nelson rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Donna Albanese
Donna Albanese rated it really liked it
May 28, 2015
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Mitchell Helton
Mitchell Helton rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Katherine McCay
Katherine McCay rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Stephanie Taylor
Stephanie Taylor rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2008
Sheila Ryle
Sheila Ryle rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
Carol Morrison
Carol Morrison rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
  • Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, The
  • Kimberly Akimbo
  • Clybourne Park
  • Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
  • Anna in the Tropics (TCG Edition)