The Broken Hearts Club

The Broken Hearts Club (Conrad Voort #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Meeting every week in the back room of a New York City bar is an informal group of men who have all suffered the sting of a broken heart. But soon the anger turns to rage and the club explodes into murderous acts of vengeance. One of its targets is the ex-girlfriend of a detective assigned to the case.
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published February 29th 2000 by Ballantine Books

Deanna
Mar 15, 2008 Deanna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of suspense/thrillers.
Loved it! One of those "could hardly put it down" kinda books, and when I had to put it down, you know, to eat, take care of the kids, clean something or sleep, all I could think about was this book. I was so anxious to finish it, and now that I have, I'm kinda sad it's over. I enjoyed the writing style, it was nicely paced and the twist of the story was totally unexpected!

I would definitely recommend this book!
LJ
THE BROKEN HEARTS CLUB (Police Proc-New York-Cont) – NR
Black, Ethan – 1st in series
Ballantine, 1999 – Hardcover
A group of men, who have been dumped by the women they love, are brought together by a psychologist who to "vent" their pain. This turns to anger, which turns to murder. Into this you have Detective Conrad Voort, "the richest cop in New York," whose girlfriend has announced she is moving out and is now seeing the psychologist.
*** This is a book whose premise had potential to be a suspe...more
Barbra
Tried to get into this but failed miserably. A friend borrowed it and said it was very good but I only read the first chapter and couldn't read any more.

Back Cover Blurb:
Dr Ian Bainbridge, a psychologist researching a book on men who can't recover from rejection, presides over their weekly meetings in the backroom of a New York restaurant - encouraging them to express their hurt, their anger, their rage.
But when a woman is slashed to death in her apartment after a particularly emotional meeting...more
Dana
A psychologist has brought together a group of men to meet once a week at a tavern in New York. They all suffer from a broken heart. There is a banker, a literary agent and a mechanic. As they continue to talk they get more and more angry and then this turns to hate and finally to rage. The rejection fuels the rage and then it spins out of control.

Detective Voort, the richest cop in New York, with his partner, Mickie is assigned the case to catch the killer. But the killer seems to change identi...more
Shannon
It sounds rather odd to say that this is my first phsyco-thriller...
When I actually took the time to think about it, I really haven't read a book much like it... Wierd.
Anywho, it was definitely different reading than what I'm used to.
Aside from some rather awkward chapters, the climax made it all worth it. I can't say anythign without it completely spoiling the book - but I will say, just stick with it... once you get about two-thirds of the way in, it gets harder to put down.
Nyie
apa jadinya jika klub ini ada ya?:p
pastinya jadi reuni galau mania para anggotanya ya,readers?:p
tapi(sebenarnya)yang diceritakan disini adalah perubahan orientasi seksual para"korban hati"ini sehingga mereka perlu saling curhat satu sama lain tentang pandangannya akan cinta yang sama.
Roussie
I read an article in the New Yorker about John Banville who won the Booker prize for The Sea. Under another name--Benjamin Black--he writes detective noir novels. At the library I plucked Ethan Black off the shelves by mistake. This book reads like a lot of other detective novels as does the next one of his I read, Irresistible. Finally figured out by the level of the writing that I had the wrong Black.
Lizz
i liked this book. i looked at it a lot more from a psychological perspective then the murder part.
Melissa
Book #15 read in 2006

This was a different kind of a read. The story was very predictable at times and at others very slow-going. I did enjoy the Voort character and, because of that, will give the next in the series a try before I give up.
Jolene
I just did not like this book, even at the end I was totally lost. This book was really hard to get into and hard to stay into. I'm really sorry, but that's how I feel about this one, it really was not a favorite book of mine....
Šárka
Awesome page turner except for the kayak hunt. That cost it the fifth star. I found it to be "too much" after the rest. But I'm a Poirot and Holmes sorta person. Action is not my cup of tea.
Noelle
The plot was kind of generic, along with all the plot twists. But I'm a sucker for thrillers, so I'm always going to be interested. Long story short, I've read worse.
Lindsey Moore
Picked up at the on the "cheap" shelf on my way to the beach. I thought it was very well written, yet graphic at times, overall a good summer/beach read.
Holley Haley
I greatly enjoyed the twists and turns, but was not expecting the amount of sexual content. Parts of it genuinely felt like a romance novel.
Mike
Parts of the book were a little more sexually graphic than I was used to. Good story and good twist though. I liked the book.
Carol
I thought it was very predictable and somewhat graphic. I was not very impressed.
Luann
Yikes, scary and lots of twists you don't see coming.
Juan
Great read. Couldn't put the book down.
Mary G.
The book was good to very good.
Betty
Good Book well written
Melissa
Aug 16, 2008 Melissa marked it as to-read
need to get
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Sydney Guire
Sydney Guire marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
  • Father Figure
  • Only the Ring Finger Knows: The Ring Will Confess His Love (Only the Ring Finger Knows, #4)
  • Gideon
  • School Rumble, Volume 2
  • Let Dai, Volume 01
  • Exact Revenge
  • Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Nayla
  • Fade To Black
  • Kiss Them Goodbye
  • Denial
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • The Girl of the Sea of Cortez
  • Daddy
  • Oblivion
  • Places in the Dark
  • Dead Lines: A Novel of Life . . . After Death
Irresistible All the Dead Were Strangers Dead for Life: A Novel At Hell's Gate Dead for Life

“Whenever someone acts one way in public - goes overboard, if you know what i mean - it'll turn out they have an opposite side. The quietest person will have the worst temper. The happiest person will suffer the worst depressions. The best thing about a person is the worst thing.” 39 likes