Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Tales” as Want to Read:
Around the World in 80 Tales

Around the World in 80 Tales

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Around the World in 80 Tales bySaviour Pirotta and richly illustrated by Richard takes readers on a journey across six continents, with entertaining folktales from eighty different storytelling traditions. An excellent introduction to foreign countries, these beautifully told stories are perfect for reading aloud and encouraging children to learn about different cultures a ...more
Published October 15th 2007 by Kingfisher (first published October 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in 80 Tales

Cheryl
I'm concerned. There's no author's note, no bibliography. Are these stories really representative of the cultures listed? The first story is an American version of the Bremen Town musicians... really?? Another story listed for the Americas is The Golden Horseshoe, which strongly resembles the several versions I've seen of The Princess on the Glass Hill. I don't know what's going on here, but I don't think it's really a lesson in multi-cultural diversity.

The pictures seem old-fashionedly casually
Thecajungirl
Fantastic tales from around the world. My children adored this book. Nice addition to a new parent's library. They can recall most of the tales. Each tale offers the opportunity for discussion. Most of these are fine to read without worrying you will upset your child. I adore reading children's tales. If one compares this book to one of Andrew Lang's Fairy Books (1889-1910) the latter must be read aloud with caution. Some children find some of the tales upsetting. All of these tales were within ...more
Janice
This is a fun book to read short stories and ledgends from different parts of the world. The tales are fun, and most of them we had never heard before. It is always great to read a story that is new and unique. The only downside is some of the stories do not have a picture, so it is harder to keep 2 year old Bryan engaged. But four year old Kendall doesn't mind, so maybe better for older kids.
Jodi
I love this book a a great bedtime read aloud for the kids. 80 stories from different countries all around the world. I was impressed how few I had ever heard before and how playful and engaging most are. Also the stories are mostly 2-3 pages long so it is easy to read just one on a night you are short for time, or 2 or 3 on more leisurely nights.
kaity
I read one tale each morning to my daughter, starting when she was about two months old. Almost all of the stories were new to me, and a handful were very well written. We'll come back to this one many times!
Hannah
Feb 28, 2011 Hannah added it
Shelves: 2011-02
{Laurie's note: I can't believe she finished this in one night! It's 176 pages!}
Kate
Many interesting tales from all over the globe. Fables and fairy tales.
Mckayla
Aug 09, 2008 Mckayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young readers(up to around twelve)
Recommended to Mckayla by: My sister
Many creative fun folk stories in this book. They all have a great moral!
Read this in middle school and could not put it down. I LOVED this classic.
Carolyn
Book divided by continents.
M Murphy
Great stories.
Sioma
Sioma added it
Feb 26, 2015
Pragya
Pragya marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Viki
Viki marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 30, 2014
Blythe
Blythe marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Saviour Pirotta is the award-winning author of over one hundred fiction and nonfiction books for children. His works have been translated into 28 languages. Originally from Malta, he now lives in England.

More about Saviour Pirotta...
If You Love a Fairy Tale Firebird Patrick Paints a Picture Turtle Bay Aesop's Fables