Start by marking “Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)

Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula #1-3)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  364 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"Move over, Dracula!" could the bunny "really" be a vampire? The Monroes found him in a movie theater while "Dracula" was playing. Now all their vegetables are turning white! Chester, the Monroes' cat, sets out to save the world from the vampire bunny. Harold the dog tries to stop Chester before it's too late! And the rest, as they say, is history.In the twenty-five years...more
Published August 10th 2004 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bunnicula In-a-Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunnicula In-a-Box

Ivonne Rovira
I read the first of book in the darling Bunnicula series long ago when my children were young. (To give you an idea of how long ago, my baby — the last of three — just turned 21!) So when I ran across an audiobook version from the library, I couldn’t resist.

The Bunnicula Collection contains the first three books in the series: Bunnicula, Howliday Inn, and The Celery Stalks at Midnight. The first book, of course, introduces the nocturnal bunny who was discovered by the Monroe family at a horror m...more
Robb Bridson
I don't often think back to books I read as a kid, mostly because my memory is not that great. But I do remember having a strong fondness for the Bunnicula books (really they were more about the laidback dog's misadventures with a paranoid lunatic cat).
When I think back to books that fostered a love of reading in me, these books were important. I haven't gone back and read them again, and I fear my adult sensibilities might cause me to miss the point. The enjoyment I got from these books (I beli...more
Sunil
I remember reading the Bunnicula books as a kid, so when I saw that I could experience them as read by Victor Garber, how could I say no? All I really remembered about the series was that it was about a vampire bunny that sucks the juice out of vegetables, turning them white. What I somehow failed to remember is that the books are NARRATED BY A DOG. You guys, it's kind of brilliant. As a narrator, Harold is perfectly naive and completely lovable, providing a great contrast to Chester the cat, wh...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

YES! I loved Bunnicula as a kid! I read them over and over in grade school. It's good to read them again, and know that they're still just as good now.

BUNNICULA by Deborah & James Howe

Harold is the family dog, as well as the "author" of the stories. He lives in a comfortable home with Mr. and Mrs. Monroe, their two sons, and Chester the cat. One night, the Monroe family goes to the movies, and brings back a little surprise. It's a rabbit that...more
Matthias Ferber
Couldn't quite make it through all three. These books are cute, and it was nice to be reacquainted with the story of Bunnicula, which totally cracked me up in fourth grade, but they're just not quite snappy enough for these adult ears, especially at audiobook speed (Victor "Spy Daddy" Gerber, sadly, turns out to be a more effective badass than narrator). I was amused how seamlessly "Howliday Inn," switching genres from horror to mystery, transposed all the familiar Agatha Christie conventions in...more
Joan
With this special 25th anniversary audio edition, I got three books for the price of one. I have heard about Bunnicula for years, but never had the chance to read it. Now I am hooked and want to read the rest of the series.

You are expecting to fall in love with the cute little bunny on the cover. Instead you are charmed by the diplomatic dog and narrator of the story - Harold and the snobbish, but endearing cat - Chester. They lead the reader through a series of adventures that are mystery, com...more
Mark Dewey
I remember I thought the first book was cool when I was a kid—so I figured I'd check these out and see what they're like.

Anyway, I still liked it, although it wasn't as mysterious as when I was a child, seeing as this time I didn't suppose that the rabbit might actually be dangerous. Nevertheless, it was still an intense tale.

The second book was also good, but there's one thing you should know. Bunnicula isn't even in it! It's not about him or anything. I think there's only even one mention of h...more
Marie
I love this series by Deborah and James Howe. a great listen or read-aloud by parent or sibling or caregiver, etc., or chapter book read for grades Kindergarten (advanced) and especially Grades 1-3 I love the humor, the mysteries that hint of the supernatural that Howard (family dog) and Chester (family cat) want to solve. Chester is naturally suspicious. Good-natured Howard is brave too but goes more with the flow... a bit of detective noir, only for younger kids, and with animals.... a really...more
Beth
I have such wonderful memories of reading this series when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. I loved how the book, while written for kids, really did have an adult humor to it.

I didn't enjoy listening to these books as much as I did reading them, but it was definitely worth the trip down memory lane.

I guess my only criticism of the audio presentation is that while Victor Gabrer is a great narrator, his voice is not the one I imagined in my head when I think of Harold and Chester. I also thought his...more
Natalie
I have always loved these books. Just re-visiting. :)
Trae Brookins
Rosa
I read these three volumes of Bunnicula when I was a little girl. I had been listening to a couple of heavy books in a row and wanted something light so I got excited when I saw this.

While Victor Garber couldn't quite pull together the voices I wanted characters to have, I still found the voices he did worked pretty well. The stories themselves are just so freaking funny. Chester is absolutely insane and I love Howie's awful puns. Harold is just amazing. I found myself laughing all the time. Wh...more
Kdiard
Fun! Fun! Fun!
Gwenne
I loved Bunnicula as a kid so I checked out the audiobook for my boys. They got such a kick out of it that they insisted that I listen too and it was just as fun as I remembered.
Bev
This collection of Bunnicula stories read by Victor Garber is FABULOUS! The tales have withstood the test of time and are still hilarious to this day. Garber does an outstanding job, particularly with the voices of Harold and Chester. Every year, my 3rd graders and I listen to the first book in class and they love it! This is a classic that all children should experience.
Erin
Bunnicula is the greatest vampire story ever told. BOOM SON.
Logan
I bought this (the audio version) for my son for Xmas. To my horror he finds it boring. WTH!? Regardless, I am enjoying it more than the constantly repeated Skippy Jon Jones audio books. Nothing against SJJ, but damn, man, there's only so many days I can listen to "SJJ and the Big Bones" on repeat for an entire car trip.
Teresa B
The Bunnicula books are hilarious! Written from the point of view of the family dog, these tales reveal the "horror" of having a vampire bunny in your house. YEARS after reading them aloud with our then-young children, our family STILL quotes from it--but I won't tell you the line for fear of giving away something important!
Elizabeth
I read all of these when I was probably seven-ish, but I wanted to revisit them, especially since I often recommend them as funny-scary not-too-long books. Good news: I still like them. Funnier (and punnier) than I'd remembered.

Note to readers/listeners: please don't actually feed chocolate to dogs.
Hope
All three books are delightful! I definitely want to read and/or listen to the entire series, and anything else I happen to find by Mr. Howe.

I like that it's an action-packed story that a youngster will find engaging, without the violence or meanness that sometimes creeps into kid's stories.
Cara
May 20, 2008 Cara added it
Recommends it for: vegans, 4H members
Shelves: influences
vampire bunny, hell yes! i forgot about bunnicula. i loved these books. watership down and the velveteen rabbit be damned! bunnicula would kick all their asses. there is something so hilarious about a killer rabbit. monty python knew it. you should too.
Kelley Ross
I remember reading these as a child and absolutely loving them. They are ridiculous, but so charming! Imagine the thought of a vampire bunny who sucks the life out of vegetables during the night, and you have the right idea about this book series.
Elizabeth Burgess
Can't wait to share this book with my one day children. What a great learning tool for then (lots of vocabulary, literary devices, etc) not to mention the books are exciting and have a great sense of humor, even for the adults!

Jo
I loved this series as a child! I found a hardcover collection of the first 3 books today and had to snatch it up for nostalgia's sake. I think this may have been the series that started my love for all things vampire related. ;)
Christine V Mae Gaskins
These are cute stories. A few parts were laugh out loud moments even for an adult. I read #1 as a child in elementary school. For the sake of nostalgia I wanted to experience the collection. It was enjoyable.
Laramort
I never read this series as a child, but man vampire vegetables! It doesn't get much better than this. Anyone who has ever owned a dog and a cat can appreciate the personalities in these books. Very funny.
Christa
Okay so this popped up when I typed in Midnight's Children and I needed to review it because the Bunnicula stories were some of my favorites when I was little. I highly recommend it to anyone with children.
Jessica
I love these books!! I keep rereading them no matter what age I am. I am currently rereading them with my son, and we both get equal enjoyment out of it. Chester is the best!!!
Nancy
I listened to the audio book, and Victor Garber was so entertaining.
This book definitely tickled my funny-bone. I wonder if children can pick up on the humor.
Valarie
I read these when I was a child and now my children are reading them. Great fun stories that any vampire lover of any age can enjoy.
  • The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod Journal
  • Of Mice and Magic (Ravenspell, #1)
  • The Wizard's Apprentice (The Keepers, #2)
  • A Taste for Red
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy
  • Catfantastic II
  • Magic Tree House: #1-8 [Collection]
  • Archer's Quest
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • Graven Images
  • Simon Bloom, The Gravity Keeper (Simon Bloom, #1)
  • The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1)
  • Burned (Void City, #4)
  • Piece of Mind (Emily the Strange Novels, #4)

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi...more
More about James Howe...
Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1) Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2) The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3) The Misfits (The Misfits, #1) Totally Joe (The Misfits, #2)