Start by marking “Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula, #1-3)

Bunnicula In-a-Box (Bunnicula #1-3)

"Move over, Dracula!" could the bunny "really" be a vampire? The Monroes found him in a movie theater while "Dracula" was playing. Now all their vegetables are turning white! Chester, the Monroes' cat, sets out to save the world from the vampire bunny. Harold the dog tries to stop Chester before it's too late! And the rest, as they say, is history.In the twenty-five years ...more
Published August 10th 2004 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bunnicula In-a-Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunnicula In-a-Box

Courtney
Bunnicula:
July 12-15
As a kid: 4.5 stars - I liked it, enough to check out later books. It wasn't a favourite that I collected though.
As an adult: 3.5 for story, + 1 star for the narrator = 4.5. I liked it, but not quite as much. Would still recommend it to others, and wouldn't be opposed to re-reading it one day.

Mysterious events begin happening when Howard's human family return from a screening of Dracula one night with a small bunny that they found abandoned. The bunny's behavior, including h
Ivonne Rovira
I read the first of book in the darling Bunnicula series long ago when my children were young. (To give you an idea of how long ago, my baby — the last of three — just turned 21!) So when I ran across an audiobook version from the library, I couldn’t resist.

The Bunnicula Collection contains the first three books in the series: Bunnicula, Howliday Inn, and The Celery Stalks at Midnight. The first book, of course, introduces the nocturnal bunny who was discovered by the Monroe family at a horror m
Lara
I was about to shelve this today and then I actually looked at it. Bunnicula! Read by Victor Garber! How could I not?!?

Totally fun! I'm not crazy about the voice Garber uses for Howie, and in that third book it seemed like several times he maybe got confused about which character was speaking, but overall I really liked hearing him read these. These three books were definitely some of my absolute faves in elementary school, and I have read them a lot (and also miiiiiight dress up as Bunnicula ev
Robb Bridson
Feb 04, 2013 Robb Bridson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't often think back to books I read as a kid, mostly because my memory is not that great. But I do remember having a strong fondness for the Bunnicula books (really they were more about the laidback dog's misadventures with a paranoid lunatic cat).
When I think back to books that fostered a love of reading in me, these books were important. I haven't gone back and read them again, and I fear my adult sensibilities might cause me to miss the point. The enjoyment I got from these books (I beli
Al
Apparently, Victor Garber is the voice of Harold that's been in my head for almost 30 years. His interpretation of these books is brilliant! It was wonderful to revisit these childhood favorites in this way.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

YES! I loved Bunnicula as a kid! I read them over and over in grade school. It's good to read them again, and know that they're still just as good now.

BUNNICULA by Deborah & James Howe

Harold is the family dog, as well as the "author" of the stories. He lives in a comfortable home with Mr. and Mrs. Monroe, their two sons, and Chester the cat. One night, the Monroe family goes to the movies, and brings back a little surprise. It's a rabbit that
Sunil
Jun 17, 2012 Sunil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I remember reading the Bunnicula books as a kid, so when I saw that I could experience them as read by Victor Garber, how could I say no? All I really remembered about the series was that it was about a vampire bunny that sucks the juice out of vegetables, turning them white. What I somehow failed to remember is that the books are NARRATED BY A DOG. You guys, it's kind of brilliant. As a narrator, Harold is perfectly naive and completely lovable, providing a great contrast to Chester the cat, wh ...more
Matthias Ferber
Apr 19, 2008 Matthias Ferber rated it liked it
Couldn't quite make it through all three. These books are cute, and it was nice to be reacquainted with the story of Bunnicula, which totally cracked me up in fourth grade, but they're just not quite snappy enough for these adult ears, especially at audiobook speed (Victor "Spy Daddy" Gerber, sadly, turns out to be a more effective badass than narrator). I was amused how seamlessly "Howliday Inn," switching genres from horror to mystery, transposed all the familiar Agatha Christie conventions in ...more
Joan
Jul 31, 2011 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this special 25th anniversary audio edition, I got three books for the price of one. I have heard about Bunnicula for years, but never had the chance to read it. Now I am hooked and want to read the rest of the series.

You are expecting to fall in love with the cute little bunny on the cover. Instead you are charmed by the diplomatic dog and narrator of the story - Harold and the snobbish, but endearing cat - Chester. They lead the reader through a series of adventures that are mystery, com
Mark Dewey
Apr 15, 2010 Mark Dewey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, juvenile, audio
I remember I thought the first book was cool when I was a kid—so I figured I'd check these out and see what they're like.

Anyway, I still liked it, although it wasn't as mysterious as when I was a child, seeing as this time I didn't suppose that the rabbit might actually be dangerous. Nevertheless, it was still an intense tale.

The second book was also good, but there's one thing you should know. Bunnicula isn't even in it! It's not about him or anything. I think there's only even one mention of h
Blessing
Sep 27, 2015 Blessing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best books to read via audio book read by Victor Garber. He does a brilliant job at all the voices and the fantastic humor. I got to hear how these books came to be, by the author. How his wife had started the books with him and after her early death he continued them, making sure to keep the humor in them alive. Great characters: Chester the cat who is oh so very serious, Harold a dog who is the glue that keeps them all together, however he doesn't understand a lot of things without explanation ...more
Beth
I have such wonderful memories of reading this series when I was in 3rd and 4th grade. I loved how the book, while written for kids, really did have an adult humor to it.

I didn't enjoy listening to these books as much as I did reading them, but it was definitely worth the trip down memory lane.

I guess my only criticism of the audio presentation is that while Victor Gabrer is a great narrator, his voice is not the one I imagined in my head when I think of Harold and Chester. I also thought his
Marie
I love this series by Deborah and James Howe. a great listen or read-aloud by parent or sibling or caregiver, etc., or chapter book read for grades Kindergarten (advanced) and especially Grades 1-3 I love the humor, the mysteries that hint of the supernatural that Howard (family dog) and Chester (family cat) want to solve. Chester is naturally suspicious. Good-natured Howard is brave too but goes more with the flow... a bit of detective noir, only for younger kids, and with animals.... a really ...more
Trae Brookins
Aug 29, 2010 Trae Brookins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Rosa
Sep 29, 2012 Rosa rated it really liked it
I read these three volumes of Bunnicula when I was a little girl. I had been listening to a couple of heavy books in a row and wanted something light so I got excited when I saw this.

While Victor Garber couldn't quite pull together the voices I wanted characters to have, I still found the voices he did worked pretty well. The stories themselves are just so freaking funny. Chester is absolutely insane and I love Howie's awful puns. Harold is just amazing. I found myself laughing all the time. Wh
Bev
Jun 04, 2010 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of Bunnicula stories read by Victor Garber is FABULOUS! The tales have withstood the test of time and are still hilarious to this day. Garber does an outstanding job, particularly with the voices of Harold and Chester. Every year, my 3rd graders and I listen to the first book in class and they love it! This is a classic that all children should experience.
Teresa TL Bruce
The Bunnicula books are hilarious! Written from the point of view of the family dog, these tales reveal the "horror" of having a vampire bunny in your house. YEARS after reading them aloud with our then-young children, our family STILL quotes from it--but I won't tell you the line for fear of giving away something important!
Elizabeth
I read all of these when I was probably seven-ish, but I wanted to revisit them, especially since I often recommend them as funny-scary not-too-long books. Good news: I still like them. Funnier (and punnier) than I'd remembered.

Note to readers/listeners: please don't actually feed chocolate to dogs.
Logan
Jan 06, 2012 Logan rated it it was amazing
I bought this (the audio version) for my son for Xmas. To my horror he finds it boring. WTH!? Regardless, I am enjoying it more than the constantly repeated Skippy Jon Jones audio books. Nothing against SJJ, but damn, man, there's only so many days I can listen to "SJJ and the Big Bones" on repeat for an entire car trip.
Kelley Ross
Apr 16, 2010 Kelley Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I remember reading these as a child and absolutely loving them. They are ridiculous, but so charming! Imagine the thought of a vampire bunny who sucks the life out of vegetables during the night, and you have the right idea about this book series.
Elizabeth Burgess
Aug 01, 2012 Elizabeth Burgess rated it liked it
Can't wait to share this book with my one day children. What a great learning tool for then (lots of vocabulary, literary devices, etc) not to mention the books are exciting and have a great sense of humor, even for the adults!

Jo
I loved this series as a child! I found a hardcover collection of the first 3 books today and had to snatch it up for nostalgia's sake. I think this may have been the series that started my love for all things vampire related. ;)
Laramort
I never read this series as a child, but man vampire vegetables! It doesn't get much better than this. Anyone who has ever owned a dog and a cat can appreciate the personalities in these books. Very funny.
Christa
Dec 14, 2008 Christa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Okay so this popped up when I typed in Midnight's Children and I needed to review it because the Bunnicula stories were some of my favorites when I was little. I highly recommend it to anyone with children.
Cara
May 20, 2008 Cara added it
Recommends it for: vegans, 4H members
Shelves: influences
vampire bunny, hell yes! i forgot about bunnicula. i loved these books. watership down and the velveteen rabbit be damned! bunnicula would kick all their asses. there is something so hilarious about a killer rabbit. monty python knew it. you should too.
Desirae
Jun 24, 2016 Desirae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
The first book in this series is amazing but honestly the other two books in this series were really disappointing.

I gave the series four stars because the first book was so great and it seemed unfair to drag its total score down because the other two books were lacking.
Christine Gaskins
These are cute stories. A few parts were laugh out loud moments even for an adult. I read #1 as a child in elementary school. For the sake of nostalgia I wanted to experience the collection. It was enjoyable.
Hope
Dec 01, 2011 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
All three books are delightful! I definitely want to read and/or listen to the entire series, and anything else I happen to find by Mr. Howe.

I like that it's an action-packed story that a youngster will find engaging, without the violence or meanness that sometimes creeps into kid's stories.
Jessica
Feb 14, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I love these books!! I keep rereading them no matter what age I am. I am currently rereading them with my son, and we both get equal enjoyment out of it. Chester is the best!!!
  • The Fir Tree
  • Haunted House, Haunted Mouse
  • The Dandelion's Tale
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • The Pig of Happiness
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • Owls: Our Most Enchanting Bird
  • Meteor Men
  • The Dark Worlds of H.P. Lovecraft, Vol 1
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju
  • Snake Attack! (LEGO Ninjago Chapter Book #5)
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 5: Ghost Town
  • Lady Mechanika, Vol.1: the Mystery of Mechanical Corpse
  • The Shadow Out of Time
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Cat & Mouse
  • That's What Leprechauns Do
  • A Fall of Stardust

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1)
  • Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)