Start by marking “Storks in a Blue Sky” as Want to Read:
Storks in a Blue Sky

Storks in a Blue Sky

A Historical Romance set in Georgian times. The beautiful Sarah Durrant is an uneducated servant who takes the place of her mistress when she suddenly dies at Lynmouth, as they are travelling to Ilfracombe across the remote wilderness of 18th century Exmoor.
Her own origins are a mystery. She only knows she is illegitimate and possesses a gold locket which contains a minia
Published April 2008 by Appledrane

To ask other readers questions about Storks in a Blue Sky, please sign up.

Carol Dobson Yes, I also sell 'Freedom', which is a sci fi story for teenagers/YA set in the robot city of Albuquerque.
I promote them locally, by selling in…more
I promote them locally, by selling in bookshops etc. and internationally by being on Amazon.(less)

Toni Osborne
Aug 16, 2015 Toni Osborne rated it it was amazing
What an interesting and captivating historical romance story this turned out to be. I am not usually attracted to this kind of novels preferring mysteries and thrillers above all. This was a wonderful step out of my routine.

Set in North Devon during the 18th century the writing has a literary style to reflect the period and shows the author’s wide range of knowledge. The plot is strong and the writing is passionate particularly when detailing Sarah and Jean Luc, the protagonists’ feelings. Once
Phyllis
Jun 13, 2016 Phyllis rated it really liked it
A young women and her maid head to Devon to live as companions to an aunt. Along the way one is very ill and dies. The other continues on and finds herself in a way of life she knows nothing about.
Em
Mar 26, 2015 Em rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, historical
It was a quick, interesting read. Romance is not my favorite genre, but I was intrigued by the Historical tag. I came across Sarah Durrant, initially a maid, but with a massive dose of good luck [or was it otherway around?] was obliged into impersonating her dying, uncared for young mistress, with whom she had a superficial resemblance. As the death and subsequent subterfuge occured during a journey the destination of which was their prolonged stay at an unseen distant relative's place, it was ...more
Tony Parsons
Oct 27, 2016 Tony Parsons rated it it was amazing
North Devon. Lord William Throgmorton & Lady Throgmorton had sent Lady Sophie Throgmorton & Sarah Durrant (Lady’s maid) to live with the Duchess de Delacroix in Bedlam.
Sophie had died leaving Sarah to fend for herself.
Sophie made sure Sarah had a proper but not an aristocrat’s burial.

Wildercombe Manor (Bedlam). Sarah met Mrs. Yelland (housekeeper).
The next day Lady Sophie Throgmorton (aka Sarah Durrant) meets the Duchess de Delacroix.
Lord Templeton, Lady Soustrans & Lady Athelstone
Jane Jago
Oct 26, 2016 Jane Jago rated it really liked it
Being fair to this book it's a solid four stars.

I didn't actually enjoy it as much as I hoped to, but I think the fault lies in me. I couldn't get fond of the heroine and that's one of my needs to get the most out of any book.

From where I'm sitting, the descriptions of places are better than the understanding of people.

Still an engaging read though.
Bonnye Reed
Nov 08, 2016 Bonnye Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-or-pdf
GAB I received a free electronic copy of this book from Carol Anne Dobson. Thank you, for sharing your hard work with me!

This is a classic historical romance, with descriptions of flora and fauna, British and French roads and countrysides that take you there. There is even a good bit about flora and fauna in New France from the St Lawrence Seaway to the cajun swamps, and Ms. Dobson touches on the war between the French and British - The Seven Years War 1754-1763 - that resulting in France losing
Julia Bell
May 01, 2015 Julia Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give three stars for this story, but I'm upping it to four because of the wonderful descriptions of North Devon and France. Ms Dobson has a wonderful skill of making me feel as though I was there and her account of the wreckers was harrowing and very well researched.

I liked Sarah very much and despite her traumatic secret, she was kind, considerate and compassionate. But I found myself shaking my head in dismay at Jean Luc. No matter how much I tried I couldn't bring myself to lik
Mary
Nov 06, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: mary-s-books
Dobson's novel is one of the most interesting books I've read lately. Although I'm not a fan of this period, I was fascinated by the setting and the dialog. At first I was a little baffled by the Devon accents, but the author's literary style captured me from the start nonetheless. Her descriptions immerse you in scenes of the north coast of England and regions of Alsace. I enjoyed Storks In A Blue Sky and reccomend it highly.
Barbara Marie
I thought the book was a little bit difficult for me to read too long of chapters

I gave it two stars because it was difficult to read
And I could not keep up and too long of chapters
Donna
Jun 30, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vintage-romance
This is a great story but I think the cover and title are a wrong/confusing choice.
H.E. Bulstrode
H.E. Bulstrode rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Annalise
Annalise rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Michelle Smyth
Michelle Smyth rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Margaret Crampton
Margaret Crampton rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Camille Khairallah
Camille Khairallah rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
MaryannC.Book Fiend
MaryannC.Book Fiend marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Zoe and the Edge
Zoe and the Edge marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Carol Dobson
Apr 22, 2014 Carol Dobson added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
MaryKate
MaryKate marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
T.K. Naliaka
T.K. Naliaka marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Zaara
Zaara marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Cindy Gregson
Cindy Gregson marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Belletab
Belletab marked it as to-read
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Stacey
Stacey added it
Jun 23, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Tami
Tami marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Laurel Bradshaw
Laurel Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Agnieszka
Agnieszka marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Jimzzz
Jimzzz marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
A qualified teacher and librarian with a B.A. in English, French and Russian.
Author of three books:
Storks in a Blue Sky, a historical romance which won the 2009 David St John Thomas Fiction Award,
Freedom, a sci fi story for teens/YA, set in a futuristic New Mexico
Hecate's Moon, a historical novel set mainly in North Devon 1794.
More about Carol Anne Dobson...