Start by marking “The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)

The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula #3)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,216 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
HARE TODAY, GONE TOMORROW

Bunnicula is missing! Chester is convinced all the world's vegetables are in danger of being drained of their life juices and turned into zombies. Soon he has Harold and Howie running around sticking toothpicks through hearts of lettuce and any other veggie in sight. Of course, Chester has been known to be wrong before...but you can never be too
Published October 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Celery Stalks at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Celery Stalks at Midnight

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
336th out of 3,383 books — 6,373 voters
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
190th out of 2,348 books — 2,300 voters

More lists with this book...

Christina
Jan 16, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
In the third installment of the Bunnicula series, Bunnicula escapes from his cage and vegetables are turning white again. After realizing his mistake, that you have to drive a stake through a vampire, not a steak, Chester arms himself with toothpicks and sets out to find Bunnicula and stake all vegetable victims turned into minion vampires. Of course Harold joins the crusade, along with Howie, the Monroe's newest addition to the family, who was acquired from Cheateau Bow-Wow. But things turn fro ...more
Dolly
Mar 28, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I have the most remarkable coincidences in my reading selections and it never ceases to amaze me when it happens. Like, for example, today, when I am reading this book with our girls and Chester makes reference to Thoreau. "It's...it's natural, organic, back-to-the-earth. Thoreau would have been proud of you." I just happened to recently pick up Walden again (for the third or fourth time) and am making an earnest attempt at finishing it...finally! So, it's the little things like this that make m ...more
April
Oct 14, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, own, childrens, zombies
No matter how you slice it, the fact of the matter is that I am a fan of both zombie vegetables AND mystery solving animals. I also quite like old school book covers and vampiric rabbits. Of course, I really took to The Celery Stalks At Midnight by James Howe, third in the Bunnicula series, gobbling it up during the April 2012 Dewey Readathon in an hour or so.
Read the rest of my review here
Andrea Galbusieri
Mar 16, 2014 Andrea Galbusieri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
They're too cute! I can't stop reading about Harold, Chester, Howie and Bunnicula.
Hollowspine
Feb 27, 2010 Hollowspine rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Another of the wonderful Bunnicula series, again read to me by my brother. This time the action again centers around Bunnicula, the veggie juice sucking vampire bunny. This time however it's not the bunny himself that has Chester up in arms, but his vegetable victims. It all starts when Bunnicula gets loose from his cage and then white vegetables appear around the neighborhood.

One great thing about this book was it's hilarious and perfect title. Very clever and funny. Chester remains my favorite
Teresa
Cute and entertaining, some of the jokes went over my 9 year old's head, not that they were inappropriate but perhaps too old fashioned due to the age of the book.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"CHESTER, the cat, Harold, the dog, Bunnicula, the vampire (?) rabbit, and Howie, the wirehaired dachshund puppy, return in this sequel to Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery and Howliday Inn to ask the question: Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of lettuce?

Chester has just finished retelling the tale of Bunnicula to Howie, who has just joined the Monroe family, when he discovers that Bunnicula is missing from his cage. Chester stays up all night worrying. What becomes of the vegeta
É F.K. Ó Conghaile
Sep 27, 2014 É F.K. Ó Conghaile rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Good-enough book. But, I have some criticisms. Among them is that several times there is the use of the s-word with regard to hunger. This is unnecessary and offensive, particularly so in a children's book. Also, the main theme of this book is the undead subjects of Bunnicula's alleged attacks - the celery and presumably other vegetables Chester has claimed Bunnicula has drained the life force out of. While rather unsurprising in the series (and perhaps inevitable), and rather overlapped in horr ...more
Cristi-Lael
Nov 06, 2015 Cristi-Lael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, own
Oh, how I love this series! These are so much fun to read aloud to my kids. And perfect for reading in October!
Aditya /
May 22, 2011 Aditya / rated it it was amazing
I read this book almost 20 years ago, and don't remember much about it except that it was down to earth and funny, and that I always remembered the title as a book I loved -- which matches what some of the younger reviewers are saying :) For those who liked this.. I suggest reading Owl In Love after a few years :) Say.. when you're around 14 or older.
Claire
Mar 31, 2010 Claire rated it it was amazing
I used this book for my book report. It is a good choice. You should also read Bunnicula. That is also one of James Howe's famous books. I love this book. :) :) :):):):):):P:P:P:P:P:):):):):):):):)::)::):):):):):):):):):):P:):O):):):):):P):):):):):)P:) :) :) :) :) :P :)P L)BL) :) :) :)NB :) :) :) :LPOBN READ THIS BOOK. I LOVE THIS BOOK.
Gena Lott
Dec 16, 2011 Gena Lott rated it really liked it
Howe is a great writer who uses puns profusely and has gotten into the heads of three very distinctive animals.
Some of his plays on words may be lost on the intended audience of 4th grade readers, but they stories are still full of fun and especially good as a read-aloud where an adult can explain some of the word fun.
Amy
Jun 04, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I wanted to revisit this childhood book called "Bunnicula" that I read as a teen during my fascination with Dracula. It was a cute book and after re-reading it, I still felt the same. Then I realized that the co-author, having lost his wife (and writing partner) had written five more books in a "Bunnicula series." So I started reading them. I wasn't as impressed. This one was a little better than the second in that it kept with it's children's themes and steered clear of the more mature themes t ...more
Jarrod Scarbrough
Aug 28, 2014 Jarrod Scarbrough rated it really liked it
Hare today, gone tomorrow!

Bunnicula is a fun series of Children's books about a vampire bunny who sucks the juices out of vegetables. Chester the cat, along with dogs Harold and Howard are always on alert making sure Bunnicula doesn't escape and wreak havoc. In "The Celery Stalks at Midnight", Bunnicula goes missing, and our heroes go on an adventure of epic proportions (for house pets anyhow), following a trail of shriveled white vegetables. All is well in the end, or is it? These are just plai
Myles
Feb 27, 2011 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, lent
Another entertaining installment to the Bunnicula books, even if Howe has retreated from the length and ambition that was present in Howliday Inn.

Suspicious feline detective/conspiracist Chester, his Watson Harold are now joined by Howie, the dachshund puppy introduced at the end of the last novel whose purpose is to provide Short Round comic relief in the form of puns.

Bunnicula the vampire bunny takes a big part again, having been on the loose outside in the night. Chester is afraid that these
Michelle Isenhoff
Apr 22, 2012 Michelle Isenhoff rated it liked it
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of artichokes?

This title and catch phrase just cracked me up. This is the third in the Bunnicula series. It took only four days to read aloud, and my boys enjoyed it, but it isn’t quite the caliber of Howliday Inn, which isn’t quite the caliber of Bunnicula. In this one, Chester begins to wonder what happens to the vegetables the vampire bunny bites? Do they become vampires themselves. Are they plotting to take over all of Centerville? Could the Monroes (i
Holly
Mar 31, 2015 Holly rated it liked it
This is a very boring book for an adult to read, but I'm going to give it 3 stars.
1) This book has an awesome cover & title. (I want it for my book case.)
2) How can you not like a book that includes vampire bunnies and zombie vegetables?
3) I really like that the author uses the term, "homicidal heads of lettuce."

"Think of it, Harold, if Bunnicula got out last night, this entire neighborhood could be filled with killer parsnips, blood-thirsty string beans, homicidal heads of lettuce—”
Twyla
Apr 01, 2015 Twyla rated it it was amazing
Anne Holly
A very slight and somewhat silly installment, with lots of madcap hi-jinks that we all enjoyed. Chester was a bit more idiotic in this one than I am used to, as I rather see him as a mad genius, rather than just ridiculous, but this was certainly a fun read. My 7yo loved it, and this series is one of his favourites. He is almost certain to read this himself in the future.

Note: Dates read are approximate, as I am updating after the fact.
Michele Lee
Jul 31, 2011 Michele Lee rated it liked it
We bought this book from the library book sale.

Chester and Harold are back, along with new partner in crime Howie. Unfortunately Bunnicula is missing, and Chester takes it upon himself to teach Harold and Howie the dangers of having a vampire bunny on the lose (in the form of veggie ghoul minions wandering around the neighborhood). So now the trio are on a mission to stake all the white vampire victim veggies they can find before they rise, and to find and imprison (or destroy) Bunnicula for go
Leslie
Jul 13, 2015 Leslie rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Same as "Return to Howliday Inn," I don't remember this from my childhood. This is more clearly a tongue-in-cheek mystery (without the addition of a sob story), so I like it better, but I'm still not sure I get it. Chester, the cat, thinks Bunnicula is on the loose creating vampire vegetables. He incites Howie and Howard to hunt them down throughout the neighborhood to stake them with toothpicks. Capers ensue.
Danelle
Bunnicula is missing & Chester the cat is convinced that he's out draining vegetables, which will in turn become zombie vampire vegetables and take over the town. Chester convinces Harold the dog and Howie the dachshund to find the vegetables before midnight and to hopefully find Bunnicula along the way. A fun adventure that's kid-friendly though a little dated.
Sam
Jan 08, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing
The celery stalks at midnight takes place in the same house and Bunnicula is missing and chester the wants to find the rabbit. A new partner named Howie a dog wants to help find the missing rabbit. I really liked the book because it had a part when they met Howie the dog.
Lauren Svede
Mar 24, 2015 Lauren Svede rated it really liked it
I thought this book was an amazing book. Bunnicula was also a good book, so when I saw this one on my bookshelf I just had to read it. Like Bunnicula some of it sounded scary and real, but then the reader finds out that it is all in Chester's head and it becomes so funny! : )
Miranda
Sep 03, 2015 Miranda rated it liked it
This is not my favorite of the series. I remember really liking the first book and enjoying the second as well, but maybe my expectations have changed and this just isn't the same for me anymore. Still cute, but didn't match the nostalgia of the others.
Jun 11, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: walts-reading
We are doing these out of order, but we found it for 25 cents at a Library sale, will probably re-read it in order after we find the others.....

Honestly this is probably a little old for WALT, but I remembered them so fondly from my childhood I found it hard to wait....He got the main idea, had some questions about vocabvlary (which is good) but wasn't as excited as I was....We will wait a couple of years and then start with the first one, with WALT reading them to me!!

ALl in all not a bad set o
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Jun 20, 2014 Nidah (SleepDreamWrite) rated it really liked it
This is a fun series. Remembered reading the first two or was it the first book, when I was a kid. Finally got around to finish series I haven't caught up on. Another good sequel. And like the characters.
Russell Holbrook
Apr 17, 2015 Russell Holbrook rated it it was amazing
I read this book in second grade. It changed my life and set me on the course to my destiny. I remember that I loved it and read it over and over. Shortly after, I wrote my first horror story.
Meghan
Apr 07, 2015 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Loved this series as a kid, and now have the pleasure of sharing it with my own (who also love them!)

These are particularly fun as read-alouds (you have to do funny voices, though!)
david w. rong
Nov 29, 2014 david w. rong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was awesome!!!!!

It was funny, ridiculous, and awesome!!! I loved the book! I would highly recommend it. I can't wait to show this book to my cousin!!!!!
You'll love this ...: Celery Stalks at Midnight 12 56 Oct 22, 2012 05:55PM
  • Christina's Ghost
  • Socks
  • I, Houdini
  • The Mummy, the Will, and the Crypt (Johnny Dixon, #2)
  • Scruffy
  • Leo the Lop
  • My Teacher Flunked the Planet (My Teacher is an Alien, #4)
  • The Trouble with Tuck
  • Anastasia, Ask Your Analyst (Anastasia Krupnik, #4)
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • The Headless Cupid (Stanley Family, #1)
  • Tucker's Countryside

James Howe has written more than eighty books in the thirty-plus years he's been writing for young readers. It sometimes confuses people that the author of the humorous Bunnicula series also wrote the dark young adult novel, The Watcher, or such beginning reader series as Pi
More about James Howe...

Bunnicula (7 books)
  • Bunnicula
  • Howliday Inn
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • Bunnicula Strikes Again! (Bunnicula, #6)
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow (Bunnicula, #7)