Start by marking “The Charioteer of Delphi” as Want to Read:
The Charioteer of Delphi

The Charioteer of Delphi (The Roman Mysteries #12)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  511 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Roman Mysteries Book XII

A RETURN TO ROME. Flavia and her friends experience the danger and exhilaration of chariot racing in the circus Maximus.

It's September AD 80. Flavia, Jonathon, Lupus and Nubia are back in Rome to celebrate the Festival of Jupiter at the town house of Senator Cornix. A famous racehorse has gone missing just days before important events at the Cir
Published October 2nd 2007 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Charioteer of Delphi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charioteer of Delphi

Emma Wallace
3.75/4- I hate to say but this was not my favourite, probably because I had expectations following on from Sirens of Surrentum: the plot did not engage me as much as the others although I did relish the opportunity to see the darker undertones of Roman leisure and it definitely gave me nostalgia for my Latin Sources days. Again loved the insight into Nubia although I did feel that it lost out through a less of a focus on my baby cinnamon roll Aristo! Saying that I enjoyed this as always!
Staara
Apr 10, 2016 Staara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not as bad as most-if not all of the others in this series.
Thankfully that ridiculous nonsense regarding the two stupid girls and their 'you'll never, ever, ever, never, forget your first love, the tragic hurt and pain!
Even if you've been torn from your family-some of whom have been killed and you've been sold off into slavery-this 'first love' is even more tragic and painful and hurts so much more oh boo hoo-tears by the gallon!
Anyhow I'm glad that for this book Lawrence has stee
Vicki Cline
Aug 08, 2012 Vicki Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-mysteries
A young man, Scopus, comes from Delphi with a letter to Lupus from his mother. She asks the four friends to help Scopus get a job at the Circus Maximus, with the hope of his eventually becoming a famous charioteer. Once in Rome, they help recover a valuable missing horse belonging to the Green faction. Scopus is very good with horses, but the other stable-boys beat up on him. This was quite an exciting book, with many perilous events. I also learned several Latin words having to do with racing.
Matilda
Oct 29, 2015 Matilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lavinia
Flavia and her friends travel to Rome to help with a mysterious missing horse. Charioteer's are dying rapidly when the four young detectives find a curse tablet.. Lupus steals a lucky statue to stop charioteers from racing, while Flavia, Nubia and Jonathan figure out what's going on. They suspect Urbanus - who is captain of the Green team, sabotaging his own horses and placing money on other teams. But when Nubia runs away with her favourite horse, Pegasus, and a one-legged beggar, to prevent Pe ...more
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: I had liked the previous books
Shelves: childrens
This was the book that ended it for me. I had been dissappointed in the last few books and then this one came along and just left me feeling negative towards the series.

The mystery wasn't much of a mystery for me, I had figured out who the beggar boy was before the protagonist. Then the whole fire and torture of the horses seemed ridiculous to me, as he may as well just have given the horses to the other team if he hated the greens so much! I also found Nubia's affinity with horses a bit odd sin
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die Hauptperson dieses Bandes ist der 13jährige, autistische Scopas. Scopas versteht Pferde, aber keine Menschen. Das ist eine ungewöhnliche Besetzung in einem Kinderbuch.
Störend empfand ich es, dass entgegen der bisher sehr realistischen Vorgängerbände plötzlich mythische Fantasy Elemente in die Geschichte einfließen. Nubia hat prophetische Träume und empfägt Visionen von Pferden, die ihr Hinweise auf das Verbrechen geben, musste das wirklich sein?
Insgesamt mal wieder eine Füllepisode, die auch
Ujwals
Dec 10, 2013 Ujwals rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. It had all the aspects of a fun book. THere was a good mystery, which included a complicated plot, many suspects, and clues that can allow the reader to solve the mystery. I liked how the author, once again, used a Roman event to base the plot off. This time it was chariot races in the Circus Maximus. The only thing about this story that I didn't really like was the injuries in the horse races, and the fact that the setting wasn't very unique or changing. In addition, in th ...more
The Library Lady
As a passionate fan of Lindsey Davis' books about Marcus Didius Falco, I find these fun to read since they are set in the same place and time.
They're well written and researched. But I do have to say I find the friendship between the 4 children to be highly improbable and that a lot of the realities of life in Ancient Rome are carefully glossed over. Nonetheless, a good historical fiction series and a good mystery series that will hopefully get kids interested in Roman history.
Phair
I still can't believe how much information she packs into these supposed kids' books [too good for just kids!:]. This one was all about Roman chariot racing, gambling, racketeering and in general the seamy side of the racing game. We get some information on Nubia's past and some follow-up on Jonathan's reactions to events in the previous book. These books can't be written fast enough for me. I want more NOW.
Diana Sandberg
May 25, 2012 Diana Sandberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, these just keep getting better. A major character in this one is a young lad whom we, from our 21st century perspective, can recognize as autistic, fairly high functioning, but clearly autistic. Excellent. And, as always, a good story, although a bit of the woo-woo in this one; not enough to put me right off, but slightly disappointing. Still, altogether most satisfying.
Nathalie
Moving on to #XII. But this one bored me. I look forward to getting back to the love storyline of Flavia and Flaccus. Maybe she'll get back to that in the next book...she BETTER.
Trish
Jul 20, 2008 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
The Roman Mysteries 12. Had a regression to childhood moment! Not a bad mystery, set around chariot racing and how the teams and races worked.
Tchipakkan
picked it up this morning, couldn't put it down... I should know better by this time!
Brett
Mar 28, 2010 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-mystery
An interesting look at the chariot races of ancient Rome, with a good mystery attached.
Charles
Sep 20, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the series!
Mrs. Roy
Anika
Anika added it
Jul 11, 2016
Klara Oh
Klara Oh rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Jennifer Barden
Jennifer Barden rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Bing
Bing rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
LauraCS
LauraCS rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Emmeline
Emmeline rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
  • Jinx (Lady Grace Mysteries, #10)
  • Cat's Cradle (Cat Royal, #6)
  • I, Claudia (Claudia Seferius, #1)
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • Princess Sophia and the Prince's Party (The Tiara Club at Silver Towers, #5)
  • Greek Myths
  • Perfect Getaway (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #12)
  • The Sword That Cut the Burning Grass (Samurai Detective, #4)
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)