Start by marking “The Charioteer of Delphi” as Want to Read:
The Charioteer of Delphi

The Charioteer of Delphi (The Roman Mysteries #12)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  436 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Roman Mysteries Book XII

A RETURN TO ROME. Flavia and her friends experience the danger and exhilaration of chariot racing in the circus Maximus.

It's September AD 80. Flavia, Jonathon, Lupus and Nubia are back in Rome to celebrate the Festival of Jupiter at the town house of Senator Cornix. A famous racehorse has gone missing just days before important events at the Cir
Published October 2nd 2007 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Charioteer of Delphi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charioteer of Delphi

Vicki Cline
A young man, Scopus, comes from Delphi with a letter to Lupus from his mother. She asks the four friends to help Scopus get a job at the Circus Maximus, with the hope of his eventually becoming a famous charioteer. Once in Rome, they help recover a valuable missing horse belonging to the Green faction. Scopus is very good with horses, but the other stable-boys beat up on him. This was quite an exciting book, with many perilous events. I also learned several Latin words having to do with racing.
Leah
Mar 24, 2015 Leah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Children/Teens into Mysteries
Recommended to Leah by: I had liked the previous books
Shelves: childrens
This was the book that ended it for me. I had been dissappointed in the last few books and then this one came along and just left me feeling negative towards the series.

The mystery wasn't much of a mystery for me, I had figured out who the beggar boy was before the protagonist. Then the whole fire and torture of the horses seemed ridiculous to me, as he may as well just have given the horses to the other team if he hated the greens so much! I also found Nubia's affinity with horses a bit odd sin
sabisteb
Die Hauptperson dieses Bandes ist der 13jährige, autistische Scopas. Scopas versteht Pferde, aber keine Menschen. Das ist eine ungewöhnliche Besetzung in einem Kinderbuch.
Störend empfand ich es, dass entgegen der bisher sehr realistischen Vorgängerbände plötzlich mythische Fantasy Elemente in die Geschichte einfließen. Nubia hat prophetische Träume und empfägt Visionen von Pferden, die ihr Hinweise auf das Verbrechen geben, musste das wirklich sein?
Insgesamt mal wieder eine Füllepisode, die auch
Ujwals
This was a good book. It had all the aspects of a fun book. THere was a good mystery, which included a complicated plot, many suspects, and clues that can allow the reader to solve the mystery. I liked how the author, once again, used a Roman event to base the plot off. This time it was chariot races in the Circus Maximus. The only thing about this story that I didn't really like was the injuries in the horse races, and the fact that the setting wasn't very unique or changing. In addition, in th ...more
The Library Lady
As a passionate fan of Lindsey Davis' books about Marcus Didius Falco, I find these fun to read since they are set in the same place and time.
They're well written and researched. But I do have to say I find the friendship between the 4 children to be highly improbable and that a lot of the realities of life in Ancient Rome are carefully glossed over. Nonetheless, a good historical fiction series and a good mystery series that will hopefully get kids interested in Roman history.
Phair
I still can't believe how much information she packs into these supposed kids' books [too good for just kids!:]. This one was all about Roman chariot racing, gambling, racketeering and in general the seamy side of the racing game. We get some information on Nubia's past and some follow-up on Jonathan's reactions to events in the previous book. These books can't be written fast enough for me. I want more NOW.
Diana Sandberg
Man, these just keep getting better. A major character in this one is a young lad whom we, from our 21st century perspective, can recognize as autistic, fairly high functioning, but clearly autistic. Excellent. And, as always, a good story, although a bit of the woo-woo in this one; not enough to put me right off, but slightly disappointing. Still, altogether most satisfying.
Nathalie
Moving on to #XII. But this one bored me. I look forward to getting back to the love storyline of Flavia and Flaccus. Maybe she'll get back to that in the next book...she BETTER.
Tchipakkan
picked it up this morning, couldn't put it down... I should know better by this time!
Trish
The Roman Mysteries 12. Had a regression to childhood moment! Not a bad mystery, set around chariot racing and how the teams and races worked.
Brett
An interesting look at the chariot races of ancient Rome, with a good mystery attached.
Charles
My favourite of the series!
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Lesley
Lesley marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Maria Kessaris
Maria Kessaris marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Troybear
Troybear marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Inaaa
Inaaa added it
Apr 09, 2015
  • Feud (Lady Grace Mysteries, #6)
  • Conspiracy (Lady Grace Mysteries, #3)
  • Cat-O'nine Tails (Cat Royal, #4)
  • Pompeii: A Roman Girl's Diary, AD 78
  • Germanicus (Marcus Corvinus, #2)
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • Tiger, Tiger
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • Twilight Magic (My Secret Unicorn, #10)
  • Princess Emily and the Substitute Fairy (The Tiara Club, #6)
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
Caroline Lawrence won a scholarship to Cambridge to read Classical Archaeology, then did a degree in Hebrew and Jewish studies at University College London. She now lives in London with her English husband and teaches Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Art and French to children.

Series:
* Roman Mysteries
Western Mysteries
More about Caroline Lawrence...

The Roman Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2)
  • The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3)
  • The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • The Twelve Tasks of Flavia Gemina (The Roman Mysteries, #6)
  • The Enemies of Jupiter (The Roman Mysteries, #7)
  • The Gladiators from Capua (The Roman Mysteries, #8)
  • The Colossus of Rhodes (Roman Mysteries, #9)
  • The Fugitive from Corinth (The Roman Mysteries, #10)
The Thieves of Ostia (Roman Mysteries, #1) The Secrets of Vesuvius (Roman Mysteries, #2) The Pirates of Pompeii (Roman Mysteries, #3) The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5) The Assassins of Rome (Roman Mysteries, #4)