Start by marking “How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials, #1)

How to Sit (Mindfulness Essentials #1)

How to Sit is the first in a new series of how-to titles by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh that introduces beginners to and reminds seasoned practitioners of the essentials of mindfulness practice. Pocket-sized with bold black-and-white illustrations by Jason DeAntonis, How to Sit provides explicit, simple directions on the mechanics of posture and breathing, along with instru ...more
Published April 8th 2014 by Parallax Press (first published March 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about How to Sit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Sit

Michael
Jul 31, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, mindfulness
Every page contains wisdom that can easily be incorporated into existing, or new, mindfulness meditation practices. This is a gem I will return to again and again.
Phil Overeem
Apr 19, 2014 Phil Overeem rated it it was amazing
Slim but powerful. I hope to consistently put it to use, since I am teeming with habit energy.
Kazia Trujillo
Jun 11, 2014 Kazia Trujillo rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book!
Mary Loebig Giles
Jun 16, 2017 Mary Loebig Giles rated it it was amazing
A deceptively simple book with bite-sized reflections and breezy line drawings that reflect the beauty and value of mindfulness or "sitting" meditation. Each reflection is as centering and illuminating as the practice itself with instruction and tips embedded along the way. The book can be read in small doses or in one sitting and is peppered with wisdom insights about the need for and transformative power of this practice. LOVED.
Stephen West
Apr 08, 2014 Stephen West rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddhism
Disappointing.about 120 pages with each page only containing about a paragraph or two. Not sure who this was intended for. Not really thorough enough for a beginner in meditation and to superficial for those looking for insights beyond just an introduction.
laskavka
Jul 12, 2015 laskavka rated it liked it
Shelves: zen
Takový jakýsi průvodce každodenní meditací. Celá knížečka pojednává hlavně o tom, jak si někam sednout a správně dýchat a nechat si pročistit mysl. Není to špatně napsané, ale pořád se to opakuje dokolečka z různých pohledů a může to znít trochu nudně.
Tamara
Dec 29, 2015 Tamara rated it liked it
Some great points about meditation and regulating/building insight into emotions in this volume. I prefer the How to Love and How to Relax editions. Some really useful points for both the therapist and the meditator.
Nina1982
Jun 03, 2014 Nina1982 rated it really liked it
A very useful reminder how and why to lead a mindful life and what to do if you want to establish a meaningful meditation practice.
Digdem Serter
Aug 02, 2014 Digdem Serter rated it really liked it
It is always pleasure reading Thich Nhat Hanh's words.
Kristopher Muir
Jun 06, 2017 Kristopher Muir rated it it was amazing
How is your focus? How distracted are you? Do future tasks creep into your present moment? Have you ever tried sitting just to sit?

Today I finished reading Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh’s book “How to Sit.” The philosophy of the book seems to adhere to the framework of Occam’s Razor--don’t make things more complicated than they need to be. There are many ways to solve problems in our world, and one of the best ways is simply to practice sitting. The book is short (115 pages), the sentences are
Angela Palmer
Mar 12, 2017 Angela Palmer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Repetitive, confusing, and boring

This book is nice because it's short but it also falls painfully short. Basically each page is a "new" item about sitting but they are so disconnected that it leaves you wondering how they all interact together. Also, this only covers things at a surface level and does not go further into how to improve your practice.
Shaegan Vishal
May 07, 2017 Shaegan Vishal rated it really liked it
My perspective is this is a great book on taking control of time. It reads like philosophy should.

Why it captures you from the beginning is it's mindfulness through action rather than the opposite.

In a high paced world, it is easy to lose track that time keeping moving and all we can do is control how we spend it.
Amber Buchanan
Jun 18, 2017 Amber Buchanan rated it it was amazing
This will be so helpful in leading mindfulness with my middle schoolers.
Stephanie
Mar 09, 2017 Stephanie rated it really liked it
loving this series, such simple and yet challenging reflections. some favorites:

"Sometimes we do a lot, but we don’t really do anything. There are many people who work a lot. There are people who seem to meditate a lot, spending many hours a day doing sitting meditation, chanting, reciting, lighting a lot of incense, but who never transform their anger, frustration, and jealousy. This is because the quality of our being is the basis of all our actions. With an attitude of accomplishing, judging
Anne Boardman
Feb 03, 2017 Anne Boardman rated it it was amazing
A lovely little book, filled with practical guidance and encouragement. Namaste
Am Y
Feb 13, 2017 Am Y rated it it was ok
Full of repetitive and simplistic notions of sitting as a form of meditation. Some sentences do not make logical sense: e.g. The author says there is no reason why he sits; he says he sits because he likes sitting. Well, then isn't that a reason? The reason being that he likes sitting?! :P
Probably not a book for the more intellectually inclined; more for those who don't think too much about things and like their text to be very simple.
Hepburn
Jul 05, 2014 Hepburn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014_books
This little book is full of wisdom, energy, and love, and one of the most precious books that I have ever read because of the following reasons:

First, Thich Nhat mentioned that "when you think you are sitting alone, your ancestors are sitting with you." So, breathing in, I can say, "Mother, I invite you to breathe in and out with me."

The following quote reminds me of my decreased mother:
"When they were alive, they might not have had a chance to sit mindfully and breathe peacefully. But now, in
Sep 10, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Simple. Easy. Peaceful.
Nayeli
Dec 28, 2016 Nayeli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
This is a VERY short book, each page contains only a paragraph or two on a topic related to mindfulness, meditation and sitting / breathing. I found the ideas in it very calming so I read it over a week or so to try and process everything better. Each time I meditated before or after reading.

I'm not sure how much of a "beginner's book" it is, since it wasn't the first book on the topic I read, but it does touch on some guided meditations at the end. Also, I read an ebook... and I imagine it's b
Lynecia
Apr 02, 2014 Lynecia rated it liked it
Shelves: mindfulness

A delightful little book full of wonderful short chapters and quaint illustrations, offering quick, but powerful reminders on the power of mindfulness meditation.
I give it 3.5 stars not because it isn't helpful, but because I don't think its a great place to start for beginner's to the philosophy or practice. It's a supplemental book for those who'd like some pick me ups and/or inspiration when it comes to their own practice.
I recommend "Peace is Every Step" first; and this as a compa
Alexa
While I started this book a while ago, I decided to start again and read it all in one sitting. I found it to be a great introduction to the concept of meditation, explaining the importance of doing something just to do it (for example, sitting just to sit, breathing just to enjoy breathing).

I'm glad I took the time to really focus on the lessons shared here, as the book explained quite a lot in about 100 pages! I also liked the included guided meditations, because it's nice to have a place to
Jessica
Dec 23, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book to carry around to remind myself of many things. The most important is to be in the present moment, and that focusing on the breath can make that possible. It will also allow me to be more calm in stressful situations. I have been practicing meditation for a few months now, and I'm working on doing it on my own without the guidance of an app. This book has guided meditations in the back that I can focus on while I'm practicing. Some of the concepts covered are still t ...more
Joe
Jun 23, 2014 Joe rated it it was ok
Not really sure who the intended audience for this book is. It's full of great wisdom, but I was confused as to why one would need this book. If you have a meditation practice and want some short paragraph reminders to reinvigorate or remind you of your intention, than perhaps this book is perfect. It's just not thorough enough for a beginner and it's a bit too simplistic for someone with experience and practice. Good ideas, just seems like an odd book to create (especially since the author has ...more
Annie
Dec 12, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book. Simple way to start meditation practice.
"Instead of describing sitting meditation as the practice of concentration, looking deeply, and getting insight, I like to describe sitting as enjoying doing nothing. Primarily, sitting is to enjoy the pleasure of sitting, being fully alive and in touch with the wonders of our working bodies, the cool air, the sounds of people and birds, and the changing colors of the sky."
Angelica
Oct 07, 2016 Angelica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm interested in zen and learning how to find peace and joy in my life, as well as letting go of stress. This is an easy access collection of wisdom to get anyone on their way to practising Zen Buddhism (I think...I mean, it's helpful to me). Andréa recommended this to me and there are others in this collection, including one called How To Love that I plan on reading next. Compassion, baby! This is a book I will carry with me.
King Rock
Dec 12, 2015 King Rock rated it really liked it
Shelves: eastern-thought
So, I rolled through the aisles at Barnes & Noble (comforting in their familiarity) until I reach the eastern philosophy space. I never know what I intend to pay for and bring home with me. I saw this one and could not help but smile a little. I don't know if Thich Nhat Hanh knew I was in a wheelchair or not, but he certainly has a sense of humor!
Otávio Al'ban
Although it is supposed to be a sitting meditation guide, I think it is too subjective for beginners, which can be somewhat damaging if the goal of the book was to bring more people to the practice. For me, the title "How to sit" is very misleading - if I wasn't experienced in the Soto Zen zazen, I'd be quite frustrated with its content.
JDK1962
May 23, 2014 JDK1962 rated it really liked it
A book of small essays (a few paragraphs each, at most), probably of most use to those with a meditation practice already going. Seems like the kind of book one can come back to a few times a year, and as your practice develops, you'll pick up new/different insights.

But what do I know...I'm a rank beginner, and everything helps at this point.
Kyley
Oct 30, 2014 Kyley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This is a beautiful little book. Unpretentious and welcoming. It has tangible advice on developing a practice and it has wise and playful insights on when, where, why to sit. Most of all it is full of love and warmth for the practice of meditation. It's a pocket sized treasure, and I am sure I will return to it for encouragement and insight.
Siddharth Chandra
Feb 12, 2015 Siddharth Chandra rated it it was amazing
Like any other Thay's (Thich Nhat Hanh) book, this book also brings you back to reality. Every word, every page written in the book reflects Thay's pristine thoughts. The book teaches us how to relax, breathe and sit in the most serene manner known to mankind.
  • The Kindness Handbook: A Practical Companion
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • The Art of Letting Go: Living the Wisdom of St. Francis
  • Blue Desert
  • Introduction to Tantra: The Transformation of Desire
  • Aging as a Spiritual Practice: A Contemplative Guide to Growing Older and Wiser
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe
  • Writings from the Zen Masters
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

Mindfulness Essentials (5 books)
  • How to Eat (Mindfulness Essentials, #2)
  • How to Love (Mindfulness Essentials, #3)
  • How to Walk (Mindfulness Essentials, #4)
  • How to Relax (Mindfulness Essentials, #5)

“There is nowhere to arrive except the present moment.” 14 likes
“As soon as we pay attention to our breath, as we breathe in, these three things—body, breath, and mind—come together.” 4 likes