Start by marking “Chasing the Lantern (Dawnhawk Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Chasing the Lantern (Dawnhawk Trilogy #1)

Chasing the Lantern (Dawnhawk Trilogy #1)

Life was rough for Lina Stone. A career as a sky pirate under swashbuckling Captain Fengel seemed like a step up. Instead she finds that her new skipper has lost his airship and is dangerously in debt to a powerful criminal cartel.

Lina's only hope at fending off Fengel's creditors is a wrecked frigate bearing a priceless gemstone. There are just two problem: an ancient cur
Published 2012 by Brass Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Lantern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Lantern

Melissa Ousley
Aug 13, 2016 Melissa Ousley rated it it was amazing
Chasing the Lantern is a steampunk fantasy with ruthless pirates, a cursed gemstone, and a lost world of reptilian creatures. The world Jonathon Burgess has created is richly imagined. I loved the detail in the descriptions of the Dawnhawk (the sky ship depicted on the gorgeous cover of this book) and the dark and mysterious magic of the Aetherite navigators is a wonderful contrast to the steampunk Mechanists keeping the ships in the air. This mix of magic and machinery makes for a fantastic ...more
Jeremiah Reinmiller
Jan 21, 2013 Jeremiah Reinmiller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
You take Pirates of the Caribbean, inject it with a large dose steampunk, then soak it thoroughly in fantasy and what comes out is this great book filled with unique characters and locales. I thought it was a wonderful read from start to finish. I'm usually wary of stories with multiple POV characters but this book pulls it off flawlessly. I didn't find myself ever wishing I'd go back to a certain character and was always happy as I jumped to each perspective throughout the tale. I particularly ...more
Roman Kalik
Oct 07, 2012 Roman Kalik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was book was a gamble, of sorts.

Why? Because I invested in the Kickstarter. The theme caught my attention, the short snippet from the book itself further entrenched my interest, but at the end of the day, Jonathon Burgess remained a beginning writer self-publishing his first book.

But the gamble paid off. This was a truly enjoyable ride, and I'm well and truly interested in more. Thank you, Mr. Burgess, for a very enjoyable ride in a somewhat Steampunk-ish, very much pirate-ish, and thorough
Susan
Sep 11, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great action filled romp through a fantasy world populated by flying lizards and mad magic users. I loved following two pirate crews as they circled and chased each other in search of treasure and adventure. I highly recommend this book to any one who enjoys fantasy, adventure, and steampunk. The pacing is perfect and keeps pulling you forward on this mad-cap adventure.
Agross Armada
Sep 28, 2012 Agross Armada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Ere flies a tale of pirates cast into the aether-strewn skies of the Atlean Sea! High adventure awaits in a world most beautiful, bewitching and treacherous. You'll not soon forget the exploits and misadventures of Jonothan Burgess' sky-borne salts and vicious cut-throats. Chasing the Lantern is a gem no self respecting treasure hunter can afford to pass up.

Yo-ho!
Becky Wooler
Jan 08, 2015 Becky Wooler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not super into steampunk, but this was a fun read. The characters were interesting, the steampunk elements were pretty much limited to the airships and the captain's monocle, and I enjoyed the characters.
Rob
Dec 29, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Intriguing World

A rousing tale full of action. An interesting world that will fascinating to explore further. reminds me of a steampunkish version of the adventures of the Ketty Jay.
Petra
Oct 12, 2014 Petra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
It is always really nice to find a good book, everyone can publish now, so it gets even harder, but this one is really good, it's funny, different somehow, characters are just amusing and everybody love pirates .. simply perfect combination. :)
Peter Hurley
Nov 19, 2012 Peter Hurley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backed this on kickstarter & glad I did. Really enjoyed it. Almost missed my stop reading it a couple of times. Looking forward to the next book from this author
Jessica Reinmiller
I found this book thoroughly entertaining & engaging. A fun read that kept me hooked until the end. A combination of steampunk, pirates, & magic. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Jesse Deleon
Aug 16, 2016 Jesse Deleon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A series of adventure in the sky!

Jonathan Burgess has written a great start to an exciting series. Pirates, airship's and laughter make this first book worth reading!
Daniel Ace
Daniel Ace rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Charlie Simpson
Charlie Simpson rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Bryan Smith
Bryan Smith rated it it was ok
Aug 10, 2014
Tyler
Tyler rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jobarda
Jobarda rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Owen Kerschner
Owen Kerschner rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Mp1
Mp1 rated it it was ok
May 17, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Johnna
Johnna rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Laurieb
Laurieb rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2014
Freakie Deakie
Freakie Deakie rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Clifton Hill
Jul 27, 2015 Clifton Hill rated it really liked it
A wonderfully fun romp, both clever and funny.
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Roman Pauer
Roman Pauer rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Cornelius Smith
Cornelius Smith rated it liked it
May 12, 2014
Carl Berger
Carl Berger rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Clockwork Cathedral (The Time Corps Chronicles #1)
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Ruby Celeste and the Ghost Armada (Ruby Celeste, #1)
  • The Locket Thief
  • Hour of the Wolf
  • Fate War: Alliance
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Song of the Summer King (The Summer King Chronicles, #1)
  • Earth & Sky
  • The Lady Astronomer
  • To Walk in the Way of Lions (Upper Kindgom, #2)
  • Thread Skein
  • Demonworld
  • A Storm of Wings
  • Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon (Gideon Smith, #2)
  • The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3)
  • The Fall of Onagros
I haunt the Pacific Northwest. You can find me counting dust motes and chronicling the spaces between raindrops (there aren't many). I've won the 2010 Gallivan Writing Award, and am author of the Dawnhawk Trilogy. Learn more about my work at www.jonathonburgess.com.
More about Jonathon Burgess...

Dawnhawk Trilogy (3 books)
  • On Discord Isle (Dawnhawk Trilogy #2)
  • Beneath a Burning Sky (Dawnhawk Trilogy #3)