Start by marking “The Square Persimmon and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Square Persimmon a...

Takashi Atoda

The Square Persimmon and Other Stories

The Square Persimmon and Other Stories is an introduction to the work of Takashi Atoda, one of Japan's most popular and versatile writers of fiction. His themes-first love, lost love, change, fate-are universal ones, but his characters and settings are Japanese.
Published April 10th 1991 by Charles E Tuttle Co (first published December 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Square Persimmon and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Square Persimmon and Other Stories

George Berguño
Aug 24, 2011 George Berguño rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Born in 1935, Takashi Atoda became one of the most important Japanese writers of his generation. He published over forty short story collections and garnered several literary prizes. And yet his name is little known outside of Japan. Perhaps one reason why Atoda has not gained an international following is that his writings are very Japanese. The eleven short stories that comprise this collection are intensely lyrical, balancing realistic details with subtle symbolism. They demonstrate a stagger ...more
Novia
Jun 01, 2010 Novia rated it it was amazing
Takashi Atoda is a genius!! That explain how I feel about his short stories collection called the Square Persimmon and Other Stories. When I borrowed the book, it was simply because of the word Persimmon, I need it for my What’s In The name Challenge for either plant or food. I am so glad I have joined this great challenge because I can discover great books through this simply based on book’s title challenge.

When I began reading the first story titled The Mongolian Spot, I had this small sceptic
Nishant
May 13, 2015 Nishant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My first introduction to Atoda's magical stories and I must say, this book is simply a masterpiece. Reading these stories, I felt as if a gentle wind had ruffled by and had altered my personality by something I couldn't quite put my finger at. But the change was surely there, and I often felt the sudden inner calm one feels on reading a wonderful haiku. These stories are a true celebration of the appreciation of beauty in small ordinary things and I could feel an inwardly pull from every single ...more
Tantri Setyorini
Wah, how I miss this book. It's the first book I read in english when I'm about 17 or 18. I don't really remember all the stories, but I remember it's quite satyr, typical of japanese literatures, I think. But I enjoy some stories; the one about an ugly woman whose husband cheated her with his beautiful co-worker and the one about the man who's suspected found the elixir that keeps him young for decades.
Sae-chan
Most of the stories dealt with the past and memories. Your childhood, your first, your history. Sometimes I don't, or I try not to, think that the past has past. True that the past shaped who you are, but they are gone. But I came to learn more that the past is here. The past, the present, the future. They are different gramatically, but blend together as one essentially.

過去も未来もかき混ぜるように
Brian Thomas
Brian Thomas rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2008
Sandra
Sandra rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2012
Keenan
Keenan rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Pauline
Pauline rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Lurk42
Lurk42 rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Asna
Asna rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Shashank Singh
Shashank Singh rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Scarlet
Scarlet rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Julian Heather
Julian Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Afifah Widya
Afifah Widya rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2017
Tristan
Tristan rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2011
Faith Jessica
Faith Jessica rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2010
hannaH
hannaH rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Tita
Tita rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Lucie
Lucie rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2011
Rhian Healy
Rhian Healy rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2013
Meril
Meril rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Beth Whiting
Beth Whiting rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2011
Thu
Thu rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Teh
Teh rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Todd Birzer
Todd Birzer rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
The 9th president of the Mystery Writers of Japan (1993-1997). 阿刀田 高
More about Takashi Atoda...