Start by marking “Thief of War” as Want to Read:
Thief of War

Thief of War (River of Souls 0.2)

Arbija will do anything to stop the Erythandran Empire from conquering her homeland. She will take on a new name, a new past, even a new face, all so she can infiltrate the palace and steal the Empire's more powerful magical artifacts. With these weapons, surely she can defend her people and keep them safe and free. Can she succeed where her sister failed?

At the publisher'
Published September 18th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Thief of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thief of War

Elspeth
I wanted to like this, but it just dissapointed me. I didn't know it was a prelude when I was reading it so the resolution just pissed me off.
Beth
This story is part of Ms. Bernobich's River of Souls setting, and is the first work of hers that I've read.

It's possible that Ms. Bernobich's present strengths express themselves best in novels. My impression of this novella (60-ish pages?) is that there are too many irons in the fire in relation to its length. Arbija's strong feelings of romantic love and friendship weren't given enough support to be convincing. I wasn't able to get a good bead on this world's magic aside from its smell (inter
Monica
Mar 14, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first that I have read from this author, even though I have had her on my to-read list for a while now. It really struck me how beautifully written this story was, and I would recommend it for both fans of hers and those that have never read something of Bernobich's. This story has gotten me really excited about reading more of her work, and I am about to go put her novels on the top of my to-read pile.
Nerine Dorman
Aug 26, 2013 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore Beth's writing, and this is a lovely tale of magic, intrigue and yes... love, which illustrates past events that will make sense to those who've read her novel Passion Play and the rest in the series. I don't want to go into too much detail because this will just spoil things, but themes treated here are about how one can be torn between familial obligations and one's true desires.
Amy
Oct 17, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella
4.5 stars. I haven't read the series that this novella is a prequel to, but I might in the future. You don't get a large amount of background on the world this is set in, but you don't need it. I'm a sucker for fantasies set in an academic setting. I wish I could have studied magic in college! The main character is only pretending to be a student here, since she's really a spy trying to prevent the invasion of her homeland. Engrossing and too short.
Barbara
Jan 09, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women
A lovely fantasy novella, of adventure, magic, learning, intrigue and coming of age. I read this one for free, but will look out for more from the author.
Louis Groff
Oct 14, 2013 Louis Groff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest, Thief of War appealed to me largely because of its brevity after reading the three current Outcast Chronicles books by Rowena Cory Daniells back to back (check them out if you haven't!).

It's a story of a character named Arbija Ismaili, a young woman who can manipulate magic for a variety of uses, although primarily to disguise her identity as part of a grand espionage scheme to steal a set of magical jewels in order to prevent a war from invading her homeland. She assumes the id
Nightwing
Sep 18, 2013 Nightwing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Bernobich's latest book, actually novella, in her River of Souls series is Thief of War. It serves to tell one of the back stories her readers have been begging for. This is the tale of how the the three fabled jewels of Lir were first stolen. But, as usual for Ms. Bernobich's work, it is so very much more. It is, primarily, the story of a woman, Arbija, who has vowed to do anything within her power, which is pretty formidable, to keep her lands from being conquered. Arbija undertakes years ...more
Ali-Abbas
Nov 06, 2013 Ali-Abbas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rattled through this in a pleasurable hour or so. I've not read any of the other books to which this is apparently a prequel, but that did not hinder me at all. It is a thoroughly well constructed short story / novella, written with both intensity and a light touch: just enough description and a real focus on character.

My only reservation, and the only reason to hold back the fifth star, is a stylistic point. The grammatical structure changes when the main character falls into reflective moods
Marion
I did not know that this was some sort of prequel to a series (of which I know nothing about).

For a short story (or novella, there are so many types of short stories, I can't differentiate them) I thought that it was quite satisfying in terms of "world" and story. We know just enough to understand the plot, but we are not drowned under a sea of details that eventually don't matter all that much.

I'm just confused by the "romance" aspect, which is very mild, but still present, and ends the story.
Tammy
3.5/5 stars. I liked this very much. I liked the tension between who the main character pretends to be and who she actually is. I liked that she fell so well into her role and enjoyed it so much, yet still embraced her mission, even if completing one would mean the ending of the other. I liked the world this was set in, the friends she had, and every vivid, well fleshed-out moment of it.
Carla
Jan 30, 2015 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, own, 2015, in-anthology
Interesting world and concept but the relationship felt flat and superficial. I would prefer if the author had only focused on the main story rather than developing a shallow love story. Both stories ended up suffering from that lack of focus.
Dec 29, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, but sweet. It is evocative and draws you into the story - something that is challenging for a short story like this. And it leaves you both satisfied and wanting to know more of the story.
Adam Siegfried
Oct 16, 2013 Adam Siegfried rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an impromptu purchace after browsing r/fantasy on reddit. The story can be read for free through Tor.com.
Kendal
Kendal rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2014
NatD
NatD rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
Ina
Ina rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2017
Jen Perkins
Jen Perkins rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Pexa
Pexa rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2017
Grzegorz
Grzegorz rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Anji
Anji rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Oriol
Oriol rated it it was ok
May 14, 2014
Tine
Tine rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2013
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Damien Ryan
Damien Ryan rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Beth Bernobich is a writer, reader, mother, and geek. She loves to tell stories.
More about Beth Bernobich...

River of Souls (5 books)
  • Passion Play (River of Souls, #1)
  • Queen's Hunt (River of Souls, #2)
  • Allegiance (River of Souls, #3)
  • Nocturnall, A River of Souls Story
  • The Edge of the Empire (River of Souls, #4)