Start by marking “Now I Know Who My Comrades Are: Voices from the Internet Underground” as Want to Read:
Now I Know Who My Comrades Are: Voices from the Internet Underground

Now I Know Who My Comrades Are: Voices from the Internet Underground

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In China, university students use the Internet to save the life of an attempted murder victim. In Cuba, authorities unsuccessfully try to silence an online critic by sowing seeds of distrust in her marriage. And in Russia, a lone blogger rises to become one of the most prominent opposition figures since the fall of the Soviet Union. Authoritarian governments try to isolate ...more
Published February 18th 2014 by Sarah Crichton Books

To ask other readers questions about Now I Know Who My Comrades Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now I Know Who My Comrades Are

Daniel Parker
Really outstanding account of how wannabe democrats around the world use the internet to expose the problems in their society, culture, and governments. I learned quite a bit by reading these accounts. One thing for sure. Keep supporting the world wide web and net neutrality. corrupt governments will eventually capsize on the free flow of information via the web, twitter, blogging, facebook, etc. It may not have been the author's intention, but if Americans want to value their freedom more, read ...more
Zara Rahman
Really great - finally, a book about internet and society that focuses on views from parts of the world other than simply the US and Europe, written by someone who clearly has extensive experience in various different cultures as well as the ability to speak to people in their own languages and really understand their perspectives. It was refreshing to get these different perspectives, and an interesting read too!
Chris Aylott
Parker gives a clear-eyed appraisal of the challenges facing and strengths of online dissident movements in China, Cuba and Russia. She does a particularly good job of presenting the viewpoints of the people she profiles, showing how the cultures they have grown up in influence their speech and their assumptions.
Ken Braley
"Now I Know Who My Comrades Are" takes it's title from one of the author's many conversations with Zhao Jing, one of China's most well know bloggers, who writes under the pen name Michael Anti. Emily Parker, is currently a digital diplomacy adviser and senior fellow at the New America Foundation, and previously was a member of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's policy planning staff, where she focused on digital diplomacy, internet freedom, and open government. In this book, Parker gives insig ...more
Jeff
By profiling internet activists in repressive regimes, Parker creates a portrait not just of dissent and the possibilities of internet activism, but she also helps create a picture of exactly what censorship and repression looks like in the modern age. It's a thoroughly engrossing read, and anyone looking to understand what democratic activism looks like in a technologically saturated world should read this book.
Eve
Saw Emily Parker speak at New America Foundation in New York and was so impressed I bought the book after the talk. It did not disappoint. Parker is a sold writer - forceful but never overstating her points. She is also a thorough interviewer as reflected in the full portraits of Internet activists throughout the book.
Elizabeth Zander
Timely and very interesting to read about how the internet is used and censored in China and Russia.
Veronika Bel
What an accessible and fascinating way to connect three countries with unique liberty and freedom expression struggles and tease out the common denominators. A page turner that leaves you wanting and researching more. As a native Russian speaker, the Russia section was accurate and realistic. It hit a nerve. I expected to enjoy it the most. But, I was surprised just how enthralled I was with the Cuba and China sections - two countries I knew little about. Parker made me want to learn more, not j ...more
Dariel
Highly recommend this book. Very engaging and insightful. As a Cuban-born writer myself, I couldn't appreciate it more.
Samuel A
An excellent, though-provoking excursion into the lives of otherwise ordinary people who find themselves at odds with their governments in three countries where being at odds with the government is often ill advised. The book is less about the Internet than it is about how people interact with power and develop their own sense of empowerment, providing a sobering look both at what new communications technologies can help people achieve, and at how much still remains to be accomplished.
Cheryl D
An informative and somewhat unnerving book. The internet will never be the same after you examine the ideas put forth by the author. The only negative the book is somewhat repetitive in places. It was also borrowed by a friend who cited it in a college paper. She thought it was an excellent read.
Chuck
Parker looks at dissidents in China, Russia, and Cuba, to see how the Internet is changing the way activists...activate. It was really interesting stuff, but each section seemed to be a bit too long.
Oliver
A solid presentation of how the internet has been used in China, Cuba, and Russia in the face of isolation, fear, and apathy (respectively). The portions on China and Cuba are the most compelling. Echoing this review, what's lacking here is any kind of synthesis of the three parts.
Shehzad Arifeen
Shehzad Arifeen marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Seth Romo
Seth Romo marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Geloni
Geloni marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Steve Winick
Steve Winick marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Arock
Arock added it
Nov 21, 2014
Alycia
Alycia marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Dolores
Dolores is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Daphne
Daphne marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Hollie
Hollie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Russell
Russell is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Matthias
Matthias is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Angad Mahal
Angad Mahal marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
  • China Goes Global: The Partial Power
  • Unthinkable: Iran, the Bomb, and American Strategy
  • Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel
  • Too High to Fail: Cannabis and the New Green Economic Revolution
  • I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did: Social Networks and the Death of Privacy
  • The Emperor Far Away: Travels at the Edge of China
  • Japan: Its History and Culture
  • History of the United States of America During the Administrations of Thomas Jefferson
  • Dragnet Nation: A Quest for Privacy, Security, and Freedom in a World of Relentless Surveillance
  • All Q, No A: More Tales of a 10th-Grade Social Climber
  • Congress: The Electoral Connection
  • The Public Library: A Photographic Essay
  • Convictions: A Prosecutor's Battles Against Mafia Killers, Drug Kingpins, and Enron Thieves
  • Masters of the Word: How Media Shaped History
  • The Future of Power
  • Rights Gone Wrong: How Law Corrupts the Struggle for Equality
  • Jefferson and the Ordeal of Liberty
  • The Decision to Use the Atomic Bomb
Emily Parker is the author of "Now I Know Who My Comrades Are: Voices From the Internet Underground" which will be published by Sarah Crichton Books/Farrar, Straus & Giroux in February, 2014. Mario Vargas Llosa, winner of the 2010 Nobel Prize for Literature, wrote that the book is "a rigorously researched and reported account that reads like a thriller. It's been a while since I have read a bo ...more
More about Emily Parker...