Start by marking “Change Your Mind: A practical guide to Buddhist meditation” as Want to Read:
Change Your Mind: A practical guide to Buddhist meditation

Change Your Mind: A practical guide to Buddhist meditation

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Paramananda’s light style helps to answer the bigger picture of ‘why meditate?’ as well as walk us through the mindfulness of breathing and the lovingkindness meditations. With key reminders on the importance of our body and suggestions on working with it in meditation, he also considers the distractions, how to set up and maintain a regular meditation practice, insight an ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Windhorse Publications (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Change Your Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Your Mind

Meen
Apr 10, 2009 Meen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meen by: I just like Buddhism.
OK, there's no way I can go into everything I learned from this book... Actually, it's all very simple, really, and he makes that point over and over. Simple, yet profound. Meditation has never made much sense to me before. Seriously, I never quite understood what was supposed to happen during it, and the times that I tried it, I always felt like I must be doing something wrong... This book is so excellent at making it all make sense--Buddhism and meditation, that I am going to keep on the alway ...more
Frank Jude
Mar 02, 2010 Frank Jude rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in starting a meditation practice or in deepening understanding
Shelves: buddhism
I like to read what some 'experienced' practitioners might think of as 'basic' or 'beginner's books' and I suspect this is the kind of book they'd have in mind. However, whether you are a novice or have an established practice, this book can provide insight, inspiration and clarity. And while Paramananda is a member of the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order, this book is empty of any sectarian bias or proselytizing.

While mainly focused on concentration meditation, he does give some good gener
John
I placed this on my "life-changing" shelf, not because it is the best book on meditation, but rather because it was the first one that I read. It started me on a path of meditation that now spans a decade. Although I have not always been consistent in my practice, I can definitely say it has been worthwhile.

I'm not sure what drew me to buy this book, but today I noticed the receipt for the purchase was still in the book. I bought it the week I started graduate school at the University of Texas
Nick G
A great guide to meditation - only reason I give it three stars is because I bought it after taking an intro to Buddhist meditation class, and a lot of the information was repeated from what I learned in the class. This book would serve anyone as a great indroduction to specific Buddhist meditations of Mindfulness of Breathing and Loving Kindness, in lieu of a class.
David
A very clear, useful, even-handed guide. Manages to simplify without getting too prosaic. I definitely recommend it to those interested in dhyana, as you come away with a pretty solid grasp of what is entailed. No too dogmatic, either. Author carefully couches his explanations so that non-Buddhists can feel free to try out the techniques.
Fraser
I found this to be a really excellent and useful reference book. I learned more from this 'introductory' text than I did from reading quite a few others!

The sections on the hindrances are very good and very practical indeed.

It led me to read another book by Paramananda which I would say was even better and more illuminating.
Evan
Exceedingly straight-forward, with all of the necessary how-to's. The revelation is the subtle joy and wonder that permeates the writing. One of the few meditation books I've read that is able to marry the pragmatism necessary for beginning a practice with the poetry necessary to sustain it.
Ethan
Nice intro to meditation. Very practical, not burdened by odd philosophical constructions (which I don't mind, though they can be offputting for some) or the spacey wowness of authors like Eckhart Tolle (which I hate).

I'm not much of a Buddhist, but I admire the practice.
Curtis
this is the best description of meditation by a westerner that I have ever read. I think he understands that meditation has benefits that go beyond his own field of inquiry to heal the mind.
Dani
Excellent introduction to meditation and mindfulness. It is clearly written, simple and full of practical advice for beginners.
Rui Varela Morte
É o livro indicado para quem sente aquele primeiro chamamento que levará à prática da meditação.
Muito completo.
Kathleen
Clear description what to expect with meditation. Cool. This gives me a better understanding how this works.
Stantontas
Yeah I'm such a hippie. So far this book is pretty well grounded though.
Milena Roux
Amazing. Clear fluid and practical, highly recommended for novice meditators
Neen Campbell
Serene but practical
Cyrus
Excellent overview.
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
JS
JS marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Asheesh
Asheesh marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Turia Madi
Turia Madi marked it as to-read
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Christopher Haim
Christopher Haim is currently reading it
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Fredrik
Fredrik marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Insight Meditation Kit
  • Money, Sex, War, Karma: Notes for a Buddhist Revolution
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Buddha
The Upanishads A Deeper Beauty: Buddhist Reflections on Everyday Life Buddhist Reflections on Everyday Life: A Deeper Beauty Silence as Yoga Body: The Art of Meditation

“As long as our actions are based upon an inner discontent they will in the long term reinforce the very feelings of discontent we are trying to avoid.” 2 likes