Start by marking “Her Roman Protector” as Want to Read:
Her Roman Protector

Her Roman Protector

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  47 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A Mother's Mission

When her baby is stolen out of her arms, noblewoman Annia will do anything to find her—even brave the treacherous back alleys of Rome to search for her. Desperate to be reunited with her daughter, Annia finds herself up against a fierce Roman soldier who insists her baby is safe. Dare she trust him?

Rugged war hero Marcus Sergius rescues abandoned babies
Published February 4th 2014 by Love Inspired Historicals (first published November 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Her Roman Protector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Roman Protector

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Setting: Ancient Rome
3 1/2 Stars

The story opens with a young woman named Annia, who has just given birth to a baby girl alone except for the midwife and her slave Virginia. Divorced by her husband Galerius Janius on false charges of adultery, he has also taken away her two small sons and exiled her to a small villa at the outermost edge of Rome. Annia is shocked to learn that her baby girl is to be taken away, perhaps to die.
Marcus Peregrinus, a commander of the "Vigiles" has been ordered by the
Barbara
This book, set in ancient Rome, and later in Britain during the same time period, certainly kept my attention. The setting was enjoyable, and the research done by the author enabled her to include some fairly unique elements. The plot includes everything from the horrors of infant exposure and slavery and placing money and power above everything else to the sweetness of romance, courage and heroism, fear of possible religious persecution, and societal and gender roles and expectations. The auth ...more
Carla Capshaw
Mar 29, 2014 Carla Capshaw rated it it was amazing
I always love to see a Romance set in ancient Rome. Milinda Jay uses this exciting, and often, cruel time period to full effect in Her Roman Protector. Readers will be rooting for Annia and Marcus to get their happy ending and fully satisfied when they do.
Gail
Nice story, centered around the idea of the Roman paterfamilias, the idea that the father of a family owned its members. Apparently it was fairly common for the father to deny a newborn infant and order it exposed-- left out with the garbage to die or be picked up by slave traders and raised to a useful age. The hero works with his mother to rescue these babies and the mothers, if they need it. The heroine was falsely accused of adultery and divorced by her husband before her daughter was born. ...more
May
Surprisingly this story is a nice blend of tension and romance with good pacing and wholly likable characters. One cannot help but feel pity for Annia when you first meet her as the divorced mother of three young children. The fact that her newborn daughter is snatched away from her just tears at your heartstrings. Rather than give up, Annia digs in to overcome her hardships and through a somewhat interesting twist of fate, she is reunited with all her children thanks to her unlikely savior--Mar ...more
June
Jul 27, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Sometimes it's hard to read about things that happened in history. My children have loved learning about Rome in school the last couple of years, so I've been learning interesting stuff with them which made reading this book even more fun.

Marcus had dreams from the time he was a child of protecting important people. He thought the emperor was the most important person until he met Annia and her children. Even then, at first he believed the lies he was told about them. But when he saw how hard An
Carol Gerlach
Mar 07, 2014 Carol Gerlach rated it it was amazing
Thank you Jay Milinda for a beautifully written historical fiction novel. At last an author who can write a heartfelt love story without profanity, sexually explicit love scenes and capture true love between a man and a woman.

The Roman practice of exposing infants was unknown to me. Again, this sensitive author has given voice to the mothers of ancient times who suffered this great loss.

Annia and Marcus are both heroes--one as a mother of an exposed child and Marcus as their protectors.
Janis Kay
Dec 19, 2013 Janis Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-fic
When I got this in the mail with my shipment, I thought: hmmmm, interesting. Let's read it and find out if it's any good.

Well, it's pretty good. I was very pleasantly surprised at the plot and story line. Why? Cuz I'm more of a western/war/regency person, but whatever. This was a nice diversion from my 'usual' lol. Very nice job and I await to see what's next from this author:)
Aubrey Davey
Feb 04, 2014 Aubrey Davey rated it it was amazing
I will admit that am normally a fan of paranormal romance. I thought this book would be a nice change because I like the time period in which it is based. I was thrilled that it was both historically accurate and adventurous. Ms. Jay breathed life onto the page so that the characters and the Villa became something I could see, feel, taste, smell and touch!
Ria Potter
I really was surprised by how much I liked this. It was creative, moving, and packed with action. Set in Rome as well, one of my favorite historical periods.

While normally I would have dismissed Love Inspirational novels, this book was relatively tame in that regard.

I am definitely going to read more by this author.

Four stars!
Harlequin Books
"An interesting look at Roman life in the early days of Christianity. The hero's struggle to do what is right and still pursue the future he believes he wants is well represented." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars
Sara
May 04, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
I liked the story but the way it was written was a little confusing.
Joshualyn Prater
Aug 16, 2014 Joshualyn Prater rated it really liked it
it was pretty good, it kinda drug out for a little while, and I don't see what the big deal was on his past, she shouldn't have made such a big deal about it. the ending was pretty good. :)
Luz
Luz rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Lisa Hyatt
Lisa Hyatt rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Steph
Steph rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Daniella
Daniella rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Lisa Hyatt
Lisa Hyatt rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2015
Lily
Lily rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Rosemarie Exell
Rosemarie Exell rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Lori Weller
Lori Weller rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2014
Emily Rose
Emily Rose rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Ash
Ash rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Stephanie Freeman
Stephanie Freeman rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2015
Norman Weekley
Norman Weekley rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Kathryn Smith
Kathryn Smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Lolo
Lolo rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Theresa Le
Theresa Le rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Milinda spent her childhood trying to hide from her siblings so that she could read in peace. The only person who understood her obsession with the printed word was her aunt, a librarian, who mailed Milinda the books she couldn't find in her home town. In this way, Milinda read all the biographies ever written for children, all of Beverly Cleary, and her favorite, The Happy Hollisters.
Milinda went
More about Milinda Jay...