Start by marking “Another Little Piece of My Heart” as Want to Read:
Another Little Piece of My Heart

Another Little Piece of My Heart

What if your devastating break-up became this summer’s hit single? In this rock-and-roll retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, music can either bring you together or tear you apart.

At her dying mother’s request, Claire dumps Jared, the only boy she’s ever loved. Left with a broken family and a broken heart, Claire is furious when she discovers that her biggest regret beca
Published December 1st 2013 by Harlequin Teen (first published January 1st 2013)

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana PeterfreundPersuading Annie by Melissa NathanCaptain Wentworth's Persuasion by Regina JeffersPersuade Me by Juliet ArcherCaptain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange
Derivatives of Jane Austen's Persuasion
13th out of 38 books — 34 voters
If I Stay by Gayle FormanJust Listen by Sarah DessenThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenWhere She Went by Gayle FormanNick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
YA Music Books
89th out of 409 books — 717 voters

More lists with this book...

Rashika (is tired)
Another Little Piece of My Heart was a hard book to rate. Quite simply put, I did not like it at all when I started but as I progressed, something happened. I stopped getting annoyed. I started smiling like a creeper. I was cheering the main character on and when I closed the book, my heart felt fluffy. I don’t even know what that means. I just felt so nice and comfy and it was a really good mood to be in. I also went to sleep right away.

I picked this book as a means to celebrate. I had just tur
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Apr 15, 2014 Tiff at Mostly YA Lit rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

I was totally pulled in by the idea that this was a rock retelling of Persuasion. And in retellings, especially ones where I actually know the original story quite well, I spend a lot of time comparing to the original. I'm really happy to say that it delivers on the retelling without feeling like it needed to rely on the original - you can totally read this as a Persuasion novice, but if you've read Austen's story, you'll definitely notice and love the si
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖shut me up already✖
Edit: Después de pensarlo le subo a la nota a un 2.5 porque (aunque fueron menos) el libro tuvo cosas muy positivas:
*Me encantó una parte en la Claire estaba llorando y Jared le decía (con los ojos llorosos si mal no recuerdo) que dejara de llorar porque sino el también lo iba a hacer. ¡Que hermoso es ver que un personaje masculino se permita ser vulnerable y que admita que quiera llorar sin remordimientos!
* Cuando Claire estaba mal porque (quizá) Hannah y Jared se acostaban y me encantó que s

Most guys who get dumped by their girlfriends usually retaliate by drinking, spreading rumors or hooking up with other girls. But Claire couldn't be so lucky. No, instead of the usual, I've-been-dumped behavior, her ex-boyfriend, Jared, decides to write a hit song (or three) about the girl who broke his heart, landing him Grammy’s and superstar status. But when your mother who is dying of cancer and request you to break-up with the only guy you've ever loved, you do it to make her happy
Feb 11, 2015 Hallie rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Now this, which doesn't have such high ratings, and probably any friends who try will hate, this was pretty much That Book for me when I was ill. (Explanation here.) It's a YA Persuasion retelling, which got my interest right there. But Persuasion is one of my absolute, lifelong, superlatives-abounding favourites, and I'm not an automatic fan of modern retellings of Austen anyway, so the potential for great crankiness was also high.

Part of the fun came from the experience of being hap
Christine Alibutud
Jan 04, 2015 Christine Alibutud rated it really liked it
"But that’s okay because some nights are like a perfect song. The energy in the air lifts your spirits, and the chill drives you forward...

...The sound of a thousand buzzing insects fills in the gaps, and the touch of a hand makes you dance with joy."

I am an absolute sucker for stories that involve reunion of ex-lovers, that is why it is no surprise why I enjoyed Another Little Piece of My Heart!
"Jared had his arms wrapped around me, and I leaned into him, feeling so comfortable. His
Dec 06, 2013 Jesselle rated it really liked it
When I learned about Another Little Piece of My Heart, I knew at the moment that it’s a story I wouldn’t want to miss. A book that revolves around music always gets my 100% attention and this book totally deserved it. Reading the book made me realize that my love for music is endless. Ever since I was a kid, music is the heartbeat of my life. A day wouldn’t pass by without me listening to music or singing a song out of the blue. I suppose all music lovers can relate when I say that I bob my head ...more
Dec 03, 2013 Stacee rated it it was amazing
This was perfection. Love love loved the take on Persuasion and it's easily now one of my favorite retellings.

Being inside Claire's head was awesome. She struggles with the turn of her life, but doesn't become a mopey teenager. The conversations with her best friend, Kristen were hilarious. I found myself rereading their exchanges before I could continue.

Jared...I don't have the words for him. He's a perfect modern day Wentworth. The musical aspect really works for the story, especially when w
Kell Andrews
As an underestimated middle sister, I've always had an affinity for Anne Elliott out of all Jane Austen heroines. But what if Anne didn't fade away after disappointed love, but dyed her hair bright orange, moved to a beach town, and joined a band? That's Claire. She's funny, outspoken, and smart.

And so is Jared -- her one-time musical match, but now an international rockstar, out of her league -- and her life, unless they can stop being outspoken and just say what they really want.

Martin is a g
Allison (Crazy Something Maybe Reviews)
This wasn't what I was expecting at all. It was pretty unremarkable. I feel like I've read this story before and liked it better then. I couldn't help, but feel let down when the H and h spend the whole book avoiding each other and dating other people only to get back together at the very end of the story. This is my least favorite thing in the world. I like to experience the main characters a bit as a couple before I finish that last page.

Regardless, this was a light, enjoyable read. I wasn't
Mar 15, 2014 Sarah added it
This was really uneven for me. I enjoyed some elements (the music/songwriting stuff and the sibling dynamics), but I had a lot of frustrations with everything being nearly resolved and in particular the unforgivable parental behavior that was forgiven (this is a huge issue for me with YA on a regular basis--when parents don't earn their child's forgiveness and yet they get it anyway). This is supposed to be a Persuasion retelling and while I can see the connection, it's a very loose retelling.

Nov 26, 2013 Louisa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was really sweet, and I loved how things changed, or things were learned, and people grew up, and I wish we got to see more of the after, the happiness! Really great book!
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
The blurb totally got my attention for reviewing this book. I'm a sucker for modern re-tellings of my favorite old books- especially Jane Austen. The other thing that really got me was the music aspect of this book. I love books that involve music.

The music was definitely my favorite thing about this book. I love how feelings, memories and situations all revolved around music. I'm sure we all have songs that when we hear them take us right back to a certain moment. There are songs that remind me
Dec 23, 2013 Rachmi rated it it was ok
I haven't read Persuasion but I've seen the BBC miniseries adaptation (which I enjoyed and really liked, by the way). So I pretty much know what this retelling will be about. Unfortunately, Jared and Claire story here didn't work for me.

It was mainly because I couldn't feel and connected to the characters. Claire, who told the story from her POV, couldn't make me believe of anything she felt, did and thought. Instead, she was annoying me most of the time. I understand she was angry with Jared an
Nov 16, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
When I first heard about this book, I wasn't sure I would suggest the ARC. As a big fan of Robin Benway's "Audrey, Wait!," I thought this book was too similar to be worth a read.

I was wrong.

The only problem with this book is my problem - there are some books that I love, but I can't really adequately express my feels. This is one of those books, so you'll just have to read my ramblings and try it yourself.

I really loved this book, and not just because it takes place near the fabulousness that i
Nov 13, 2014 Alexa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
What I enjoyed most about Another Little Piece of My Heart is that it reminded me, in a lot of ways, of the type of fan fiction I used to write when I was in high school. I was am obsessed with boy bands and musicians, so it's not particularly surprising I was eager to read this. Even though I felt like everything was only touched upon lightly (if that makes sense), it was still a pretty fun read.

I adored the fact that this book was set in the summertime! Not just any summer either, mind you, bu
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
I loved this book SO much!

Look for my review on the official blog tour on December 6 at Such a Novel Idea!

Good lord I loved this book! I still can't really explain it. Logically, the book followed an outline I could have easily predicted by reading the synopsis. It wasn't anything particularly different or unique in that respect. So, why did I just want to hug my Kindle when it ended?

1. The Music

2. The Characters

This was an emotional read for me. I connected on an emotion
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Nov 30, 2013 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for anything Austen related, books, movies, retellings, you name it, I will read or watch it. I never worry about it ruining the classic or any other such nonsense because simply put, I just have fun with it.

But with all my Austen love, I have never read a retelling of Persuasion, at least, I don't think I have. I don't remember reading one although I have read many others that she has written so I jumped at the chance to. Why not? I loved the first, maybe I would even love this mo
Dec 11, 2013 Farrah rated it really liked it
A wonderful retelling of a classic, Another Little Piece of My Heart was a lovely read. I really enjoyed this YA romance.

Claire was a great heroine. She didn't have the best starts. At first, I thought she was somewhat petulant, bitter, and inclined to blame others for her own problems. But, as the story went on, she great up, realizing that she was responsible for her decisions and her happiness. By the end of the book, I really liked her.

Jared was really sweet. Even though we saw him through
Dec 11, 2013 BookHookup rated it really liked it
The original, full review can be found HERE on The Book Hookup.

Ana, Celeste, and Christina's Review:

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review during this blog tour. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Initial Thoughts and Rating

Ana: Good, quick read! I enjoyed this story and it’s characters and I thought it was
Reviews from a Bookworm
To check out my book review blog, please go to:

It's probably become quite clear through some of my other reviews, if you have seen them, that I am not the biggest fan of romance books. I don't hate them all, but it takes something special for me to really enjoy one. But I requested this through Netgalley (thank you Harlequin Teen and Tracey Martin!) because of the music themed cover and that the summary actually sounded interesting and I am so glad I did!

I did
Loved it!! There is no other words i can express how much i love this book. The writing is beautiful. I just can't get enough of it. Totally worth 5 stars. Well done!!
Jun 14, 2015 Grace rated it it was amazing
Review Posted @ She Reads Things

I'm not going to lie. After reading this, I did in fact read it again. No joke, I actually read this twice, back to back. That's how good this book is. The plot line was woven together so nicely and I completely fell in love with the characters.

This is a story about a girl who is in a tricky situation in her life, experiencing familial, personal, and social problems. The social problems relate to a certain famous ex who got
Mary Joyce
Jan 17, 2015 Mary Joyce rated it it was amazing
This book was beautiful. I don't like retellings, but this book....I could reread many times. Jane Austen is a huge author to live up to but Tracey Martin delivers the book Persuasion into modern concepts that I loved, especially being a music lover.

To start, Jared and Claire were a great couple. They were real, sweet, and had a foundation for a lasting relationship. Both of them were flawed, but not in a stupid way, as if they were only like that to make the story work. They were stubborn with
Sofía Luayza
Jul 26, 2014 Sofía Luayza rated it liked it
I have to admit I don't like books about the characters being musicians, because I find them too unreal, especially when one of them becomes famous. The reason I started reading this was merely because it was based on Jane Austen's Persuasion, which is one of my favourite books.
Another Little Piece of My Heart reminded me of Elizabeth Eulberg's books. The writing, the themes it developes, the nature of the characters... that's a good thing, because I love Eulberg's books and how she manages to d
Chel (The Procrastinator's Corner)
Apr 12, 2014 Chel (The Procrastinator's Corner) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Also posted on The Procrastinator's Corner

I am a huge fan of books about music especially if there are guitars in it. But what makes Another Little Piece of My Heart extra special for me is that it is a retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. I haven’t actually read Persuasion yet but so far, I have enjoyed all its retellings that I have read and Tracey Martin’s take on Persuasion is not an exemption.

Claire and Jared’s relationship before was perfect - save for the fact that Claire’s parents are
A Canadian Girl
Mar 03, 2014 A Canadian Girl rated it it was ok
I normally tend to complain if a novel has too much drama, but in the case of Another Little Piece of My Heart by Tracey Martin, I was mentally prepared for it. How could a book not be full of drama when the main character’s ex has written a song about her?! Sadly, Another Little Piece of My Heart didn’t live up to my expectations.

I think the lack of drama in Another Little Piece of My Heart can be attributed to the writing style, which forces the reader to spend large chunks of time in Claire’s
3.5/5 stars

When I saw this book on Netgalley and saw the familiar title of one of my favorite class rock songs, I obviously had to snatch it up! After getting started with the reading I thought I was going to be hit over the head with the music piece, which I feel like I have been with books in the past. The main character, Claire, is part of a band but this isn't a story about that like other "books about music." I've read books that are all about the band and the music and the managing of the
Feb 20, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2014
This book was a good adaptation of the idea of Persuasion, which has my favorite Austen heroine. The idea of this book was fun and a good homage to the idea. The problem here is that, like so many Persuasion updates, the main fault in the original break up of the couple was switched from Claire to Jared. It made it harder to see why she would want to be back with him and it made the rekindling of their romance less interesting and impactful. Overall, it was a cute story and I enjoyed the musical ...more
  • Third Charm (Run to You, #3)
  • My Date From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #2)
  • Season of Second Chances
  • While You're Away (While You're Away, #1)
  • Stir Me Up
  • The Art of Falling (Oceanside High, #1)
  • The Incredible Here and Now
  • A Tale of Two Proms (Bard Academy, #4)
  • Ink Is Thicker Than Water
  • The Last Best Kiss
  • Breathing Under Water
  • The Sound of Us (Radio Hearts, #1)
  • The Summer I Found You
  • Where You'll Find Me
  • Waiting for the Storm (Angel Island, #1)
  • Heartbeat
  • The Secret Life of a Dream Girl (Creative HeArts, #4; Dahlia and Keegan, #1)
  • Made of Stars

“Claire’s Summer Survival Playlist Janis Joplin—“Piece of My Heart” We Are The Fallen—“Bury Me Alive” Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers—“Runnin’ Down a Dream” Indigo Girls—“Least Complicated” The Doors—“Light My Fire” Mumford & Sons—“Little Lion Man” Girlyman—“Joyful Sign” Matt Nathanson—“Love Comes Tumbling Down” Natasha’s Ghost—“Falling Up” The Beatles—“While My Guitar Gently Weeps” Nemesea—“Afterlife” Dar Williams—“The Ocean” 2 likes
“I'm not sure why people go to the beach in groups only to ignore each other, but it works for me.” 2 likes