Start by marking “Angel By My Side” as Want to Read:
Angel By My Side

Angel By My Side

In 1995, Mike Lingenfelter was ready for his life to be over. Two serious heart attacks and open-heart surgery had taken away most of the good things he had in his life. But then a golden retriever named Dakota, who had been rescued from death himself, came to help Mike with his rehabilitation recovery. This is the story of how Dakota became Mike's protector and best frien ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about Angel By My Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel By My Side

Laurla2
"it's not what you teach your dog, its what you learn from your dog."

"individuals who have mental illness or low self-esteem focus on themselves; animals can help them focus on their environment. rather than thinking and talking about themselves and their problems, they watch and talk to and about the animals."

"animals help by placing the focus on the animals rather than themselves."

"i was understanding how having dakota around was helping me relax and take my mind off whatever the moment might
Dennis Raffaelli
This is an interesting book about a man and his service dog. If you love dogs, you will love this book. Dakota, the dog in this story, is loving and intuitive. The importance of service dogs in the lives of a lot of people is stressed.

I would have given the book four stars, but it got into new age ideas such as spirit guides. I can accept that dogs can be spiritual. I would even go along with the ideas that they have souls. I just had a problem with the concept that some angel or spirit took up
Kristin
May 23, 2010 Kristin rated it it was amazing
Dianne Emley
May 30, 2015 Dianne Emley rated it really liked it
This book was a selection of my book club. I enjoyed it and related to it having owned dogs (and cats) and knowing the strong bond that can grow between humans and pets. The bond here was particularly profound. Although there were sad moments, the book was ultimately uplifting.
Ca
Sep 03, 2015 Ca rated it it was ok
This enlightened me regarding the use and acceptance of guide dogs so worth the read. Wow, the dog, and others out there like him, is amazing! I would describe it as a book by a normal guy with a great story to share, rather than a great read based on the style of writing.
Nancy
Sep 10, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing
My 17-yr old cat, Moorea, is dying from cancer. Her oncologist is Dr. Greg Ogilvie.
When Dr. Ogilvie heard about Moorea's amazing work as a pet-therapy volunteer with Love on a Leash, he recommended this book.
It gave me hope and also let me know about another couple who were blessed with an angel in fur, like our Moorea.
Joan
Jun 30, 2016 Joan rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful book. Of course I cried my eyes out, but it was uplifting at the same time. I learned so much about the relationship between animals and their human's. I highly recommend this book along with a box of Kleenix.
Cindy
Oct 08, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any animal lover!
Shelves: 2009
A wonderful book about the human-animal bond, The Angel By My Side tells the story of Mike Lingenfelter and his service dog, Dakota. Dakota works for Mike in order to help him predict and treat his severe angina attacks. But, more than that, Dakota is a lovable, hug-able dog that touches lives wherever they go. He works as a therapy dog in nursing homes, schools, and childrens hospitals. Dakota has an uncanny way of understanding human ailments, and communicating with us. His calming presence is ...more
Mary
Apr 27, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming and true story of a service dog and angel and the impact he had on many peoples lives. it is very touching as it shows us the power of the human-animal bond. A great book to share with those you love.
Jayne Bartrand
Mar 07, 2016 Jayne Bartrand rated it liked it
I knew dogs were used for diabetes and epilepsy alerts, but this one for angina/heart alerts was amazing. True story. Odd with the psychic readings of the dog spirit, but the alert/assist dog, I believe.
Chris
Feb 02, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
All animal lovers will enjoy reading this book. Mike was blessed to have such a wonderful dog in his life.
Mar 31, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal lovers, challenged people
Recommended to Jennifer by: Golden Endings Golden Retriever Rescue
Anyone who loves dogs, golden retrievers, service dogs, or miraculous happy true stories should read this. This is THE supreme "animal bond" book in my view. And I have read a LOT of animal bond books.

What I learned...it is illegal to bar a service dog from anywhere.

God bless animal angels everywhere!
Judy
May 18, 2009 Judy rated it it was amazing
true story about one of those rare dogs who really bonds with, and saves, his human. A 2-tissuebox book -- lovely!
Steve
Jun 29, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
heart-rending and life-affirming account of the special bond between animals and humans.

Christine Calabrese
Dec 08, 2012 Christine Calabrese rated it it was amazing
Excellent nonfiction, evn though the ending is a bit too fantastic...
Beth
May 08, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Not my normal genre, but an interesting real life story.
Dick Whittington
Apr 15, 2010 Dick Whittington rated it really liked it
Amazing and true story of alert dog.
Bluejay44
Sep 19, 2016 Bluejay44 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful read.
Beth
Jul 12, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
great dog story!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Debbi Scott
Debbi Scott rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Markie Blackburn
Markie Blackburn rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Barbara Hurtig
Barbara Hurtig rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Mmminmn
Mmminmn marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Paula Foley
Paula Foley marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Ricki
Ricki rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016