Start by marking “George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage” as Want to Read:
George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage

George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage

They would be called upon to lead a nation in one of its darkest hours -- but were they up to the task? He had been the wild, hard-drinking scion of one of America's premier political families. She was the school librarian with a warm smile and a tragic secret of her own. Yet after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, they rose to the challenge: He became the embod ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by William Morrow & Company (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about George and Laura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George and Laura

Melinda
Jan 22, 2010 Melinda rated it really liked it
If I could choose anyone famous with whom to have lunch, I would pick Laura Bush. I have long found her to be a fascinating, intelligent, charismatic, charming individual who appears to be as genuine on television as I would imagine her to be. This book proved my theories to be true. But more than that, I delighted in discovering that the title delivered its promise - Anderson details the hasty courtship and engagement as well as the low and highlights of an endearing marriage.
Both personalitie
Oct 07, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Obviously I didn't pick up this book because I am a fan of the first couple but I'm very interested in marriage in general and specifically, marriage under pressure. I can't imagine any other pressure-cooker more stringent or all-consuming than the White House and I was interested to read one person's interpretation of why George and Laura are still together. More incredibly, for all George's faults, he has never been dogged by rumours of infidelity, the way previous presidents have.

I learned so
Vicki
Jul 27, 2011 Vicki added it
I actually really liked this book. I learned a lot of things that I did not know about both of them, and I think it helped me understand a lot more about them. You really get to learn a lot of their motivations because of things that happened when they were younger. They really do have an amazing relationship, one that I think is pretty rare nowadays in our country. The chapters on when he was president show that he really was working hard to do the best he could for the country, even when he wa ...more
Elaine Cougler
Aug 14, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it really liked it
George and Laura by Christopher Andersen is an intimate look at the Bushes and their family. I liked the insight Andersen gave me but was left wondering at his light handling of Bush's obvious intellectual challenges. For Laura I have nothing but praise having read this book. Maybe she should have been president. Of course I'm not an American so perhaps have a different viewpoint as an outsider looking in. I did end up liking this couple portrayed by Andersen as both having challenges and of fin ...more
Angela
Jul 09, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
I gave this book 3 stars only because, to me, it wasn't written well. Which is funny because I loved Christopher Anderson's writing with Princess Diana. It took me awhile to read it because it was just dull to me. I didn't like the first of the book especially. It was too slow & drawn out. But I do love former President George W Bush & former first lady Laura. I believe they truly love one another & work very well together. And this book many times did show this.
Kent
Feb 26, 2008 Kent rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
got this as a gag gift from Elizabeth - but so far it's interesting, but not dramatic, telling of W's and Laura's upbringing from childhood thru 9/11. lots of cool anecdotes, lots of funny statements collected over the years. you can read this a little at a time, then put it down, and pick it up, and you'll never lose the flow.

if W's life wasn't true, it would be hard to write it even as fiction.
Luann Habecker
i don't know that i am the better for reading this. i persevered through it. honestly, it came across like someone got a handful of quotes that either of them had said and then took the liberty of filling in the blanks. it was really bad towards the end when the same quote/reference was used-again.
Becky
Feb 07, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
I am not a George Bush fan, but this book was a great insight into the Bush family and those that make up our leaders. I gained a new respect for Laura, and it proves to every kid that great things can happen even if your are "average" (keeping mum on having the right amount of money.....)

An enjoyable non-fiction, from someone who doesn't read a lot of biographies.
Wendy
Jul 26, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
I just really liked this book. I know this president was not always looked kindly upon by many, but I like them as a couple. Great Americans, dedicated to their country, to their families, and to each other. I really admire Laura Bush. . . quite an inspiring woman. Would love to meet her.
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
This is a biographical account of the first couple’s marriage. It begins on September 11, 2001 and then flashes back to their beginnings. I found it to be interesting. It contained information that I wasn’t aware of. It is well written and a quick read.
Jodielayton
I think as with anything, you have to really learn about someone or a subject before you can decide you don't like them or it. I judge a man by the caliber of wife he catches. President George Bush is one who caught well.
Sherrel Wiser
Absolutely loved the book. I both wondered how we could possibly elect George W. for President, and that fortunately he was the right man at the right time when 9-11 occurred. Laura Bush was a wonderful 1st lady and now I have a greater appreciation for both.
Judith
Jan 19, 2008 Judith rated it liked it
Well written but made me dislike Bush as a president even more than I already did.
Bonnie
Aug 18, 2008 Bonnie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Whatever you think politically, this was about the relationship that the two have and I found it refreshing.
Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
Feb 25, 2011 Deanie Humphrys-Dunne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-7-5-11
I think this book is very interesting. It's entertaining and informative. I highly recommend it.
Naomi
May 02, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I enjoyed the book, though I'm not sure I got a balanced view of the couple. And it seemed to end abruptly.
Erika Nerdypants
The first book that portays George W. as a human being, even a somewhat likeable one. George may not be the brightest bulb there ever was, but he appears to love deeply, and it shows.
Christen
Jul 20, 2009 Christen rated it it was amazing
Awesome....great insight into their marriage and the presidency. Really interesting and very well written!
Michael
Nov 27, 2007 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
interesting, nothing hard hitting here, just their story
Edith Ray
Oct 02, 2007 Edith Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Too bad but this book is probably enjoyed by only certain political thinking people. I appreciated George and Laura more after I read the book.
Sherlonya Turner
Sherlonya Turner rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2010
SM Surber
SM Surber rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Jan 03, 2017
V Manera
Sep 25, 2009 V Manera rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
An enjoyable and entertaining book - well worth the read
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2008
Richard Lallo
Richard Lallo rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Renae Sokola
Renae Sokola rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
  • Farewell, Jackie: A Portrait of Her Final Days
  • Beyond Peace
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Obama Nation: Leftist Politics and the Cult of Personality
  • The Right Man: The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush
  • I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan
  • What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings

Christopher Peter Andersen is an American journalist and the author of 32 books, including many bestsellers. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, Andersen joined the staff of Time Magazine as a contributing editor in 1969. From 1974 to 1986 Andersen was senior editor of Time Incorporated's P
More about Christopher Andersen...