Start by marking “George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage” as Want to Read:
George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage

George and Laura: Portrait of an American Marriage

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  17 reviews
They would be called upon to lead a nation in one of its darkest hours -- but were they up to the task? He had been the wild, hard-drinking scion of one of America's premier political families. She was the school librarian with a warm smile and a tragic secret of her own. Yet after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, they rose to the challenge: He became the embod ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by William Morrow & Company (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about George and Laura, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George and Laura

Melinda
If I could choose anyone famous with whom to have lunch, I would pick Laura Bush. I have long found her to be a fascinating, intelligent, charismatic, charming individual who appears to be as genuine on television as I would imagine her to be. This book proved my theories to be true. But more than that, I delighted in discovering that the title delivered its promise - Anderson details the hasty courtship and engagement as well as the low and highlights of an endearing marriage.
Both personalitie
Obviously I didn't pick up this book because I am a fan of the first couple but I'm very interested in marriage in general and specifically, marriage under pressure. I can't imagine any other pressure-cooker more stringent or all-consuming than the White House and I was interested to read one person's interpretation of why George and Laura are still together. More incredibly, for all George's faults, he has never been dogged by rumours of infidelity, the way previous presidents have.

I learned so
Vicki
Jul 27, 2011 Vicki added it
I actually really liked this book. I learned a lot of things that I did not know about both of them, and I think it helped me understand a lot more about them. You really get to learn a lot of their motivations because of things that happened when they were younger. They really do have an amazing relationship, one that I think is pretty rare nowadays in our country. The chapters on when he was president show that he really was working hard to do the best he could for the country, even when he wa ...more
Naomi
I enjoyed the book, though I'm not sure I got a balanced view of the couple. And it seemed to end abruptly.
Kent
Mar 17, 2008 Kent rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
got this as a gag gift from Elizabeth - but so far it's interesting, but not dramatic, telling of W's and Laura's upbringing from childhood thru 9/11. lots of cool anecdotes, lots of funny statements collected over the years. you can read this a little at a time, then put it down, and pick it up, and you'll never lose the flow.

if W's life wasn't true, it would be hard to write it even as fiction.
Luann Habecker
i don't know that i am the better for reading this. i persevered through it. honestly, it came across like someone got a handful of quotes that either of them had said and then took the liberty of filling in the blanks. it was really bad towards the end when the same quote/reference was used-again.
Wendy
I just really liked this book. I know this president was not always looked kindly upon by many, but I like them as a couple. Great Americans, dedicated to their country, to their families, and to each other. I really admire Laura Bush. . . quite an inspiring woman. Would love to meet her.
Sherrel Wiser
Absolutely loved the book. I both wondered how we could possibly elect George W. for President, and that fortunately he was the right man at the right time when 9-11 occurred. Laura Bush was a wonderful 1st lady and now I have a greater appreciation for both.
Jodielayton
I think as with anything, you have to really learn about someone or a subject before you can decide you don't like them or it. I judge a man by the caliber of wife he catches. President George Bush is one who caught well.
Erika
The first book that portays George W. as a human being, even a somewhat likeable one. George may not be the brightest bulb there ever was, but he appears to love deeply, and it shows.
Edith Ray
Oct 02, 2007 Edith Ray rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Too bad but this book is probably enjoyed by only certain political thinking people. I appreciated George and Laura more after I read the book.
Bonnie
I really enjoyed this book. Whatever you think politically, this was about the relationship that the two have and I found it refreshing.
Christen
Awesome....great insight into their marriage and the presidency. Really interesting and very well written!
Deanie Humphrys-Dunne
I think this book is very interesting. It's entertaining and informative. I highly recommend it.
Judith
Well written but made me dislike Bush as a president even more than I already did.
V Manera
Sep 28, 2009 V Manera rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
An enjoyable and entertaining book - well worth the read
Michael
interesting, nothing hard hitting here, just their story
Judy
Judy added it
May 13, 2015
James Larry Jenkins
James Larry Jenkins marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Joshua Shupe
Joshua Shupe marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Patty
Patty added it
Apr 19, 2015
Jody Pulcheon
Jody Pulcheon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Julie Nguyen
Julie Nguyen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Winona Gibson
Winona Gibson marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush
  • How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life
  • Reflections: Life After the White House
  • The Perfect Wife: The Life and Choices of Laura Bush
  • Beyond Peace
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • The Rebellion of Ronald Reagan: A History of the End of the Cold War
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings
  • Nancy Reagan: The Unauthorized Biography
  • President Nixon: Alone in the White House
  • I Love You, Ronnie: The Letters of Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan
  • What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era
  • Nixon Volume #1: The Education of a Politician, 1913-62
  • Reagan, in His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
  • The Obama Nation
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • A Charge to Keep: My Journey to the White House
An Affair to Remember: The Remarkable Love Story of Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy William and Kate: A Royal Love Story These Few Precious Days: The Final Year of Jack with Jackie The Day Diana Died Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve