Start by marking “Just Ella” as Want to Read:
Just Ella

Just Ella

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,133 ratings  ·  309 reviews
Ariella was only looking for a distraction, something to break up the monotony of palace life. What she found was a young man willing to overlook her title and show her a new and vibrant way of life. But when her growing feelings for Gavin spiral out of control and clash with the expectations of her station, she will discover that the consequences of her curiosity are far ...more
Published August 14th 2013 by Hidden Falls Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Just Ella, please sign up.

Jeanette Same title, different book, different author. But, yes, there is a book of the same title in which Margaret Peterson Haddix wrote. I haven't read hers…moreSame title, different book, different author. But, yes, there is a book of the same title in which Margaret Peterson Haddix wrote. I haven't read hers yet, but the description doesn't seem to be very alike this one.(less)
Real by Katy EvansDriven by K. BrombergCollide by Gail McHughBully by Penelope DouglasBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Romance Debuts 2013
60th out of 432 books — 3,747 voters
Edenbrooke by Julianne DonaldsonBlackmoore by Julianne DonaldsonSeeking Persephone by Sarah M. EdenThe List by Melanie JacobsonDrops of Gold by Sarah M. Eden
LDS Romance
12th out of 266 books — 169 voters

More lists with this book...

Inspired Kathy
AWESOME!! LOVED THIS ONE!!

Once in a while I come across a book that I fall in love with. That happened yesterday.

I got an email from Amazon a couple days ago with a "recommended" book - Just Ella by Annette K. Larsen. I looked at the cover and summary and was intrigued by it. It sounded right up my alley. I spent a while perusing the author's website and fell in love with the author before even starting this book.

Read these paragraphs from her bio and tell me she isn't the perfect match for the
Kathy
This was a pleasant surprise. For some reason I didn’t have the highest expectation going into it. I think part of it was that I didn’t love the cover. I probably would have put off reading it for awhile if I hadn’t read the great reviews (especially Chrissy’s). I guess I’m a cover snob and I gravitate to the books with awesome covers (which doesn’t always mean you’ll get an awesome book. Unfortunately.)

Ariella was a great heroine. I really liked her. The book opens when she is fifteen and I th
Chrissy
LOVED it!! I could not put this book down! I stayed up too late reading it and then got up this morning and re-read the end. It was SO GOOD!!

The romance was so real and part way through my heart was breaking for both of them but then the end...it was perfect. This is a clean romance that I will let my girls read when they are teenagers but it was great for me too. I was worried when the main character started out so young (15) but this book spanned for a few years.

Now I am off to stalk this aut
Robyn
For me, this read was the rare ignore my kids and stay up late reading kind of story. First of all, it's clean. It's a lovely, romantic story where you feel butterflies in your stomach because it's so cute, not because the "romance" has gone too far. The characters have real feelings but put them in perspective with real life.
Also, the book has some twists in it and is not completely predictable. I felt like I had something figured out and then I was wrong. This happened several times, which ma
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I am squeezing in a review for this book because I just loved it. It was a book I picked up because I heard some awesome things about it from people I trust with book recommendations. I got a little ahead in my review reading and jumped right into this book because I was so excited. I picked it up for free because of my Amazon Prime membership which was SO happy! Although, this is a book I'd actually like to have on my shelves forever.

Clean romance is one of my very favorite genres. This book is
Deborah
Oh my. That is what keeps popping in my head. Oh my. It was just soooo good. I have wanted a great book like this for a while and it was worth the wait.

The beginning was a little slow for me and I was questioning whether or not I was going to "fall" for this one. Well, the minute she was caught after the dance(for those of you who have read it, know what I am talking about and for those who haven't then enjoy the bliss of reading it) the book exploded for me. The tension and relationship buildin
Melissa
This is unlike any fairy tale I have read. It's like Cinderella backwards. I loved it and will be devouring more by this author! What a fun book. I loved Ella who I immediately fell in love with and Gavin was just awesome! The writing was great! The story had great movement and a good build and wow what an ending! The love story was wonderful and tragic and so much fun to read. I just really enjoyed reading this book and will be buying a hard copy for my daughters and I to read again! Clean with ...more
Heather
Sep 19, 2013 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
In her Author's Note, Annette K. Larsen mentions being influenced by Jane Eyre, and wanting to create heroines that have a moral compass. I myself couldn't agree more and feel very strongly that heroines such as Jane Eyre and Elizabeth Bennett, these are the characters who experience true romance. I'm so appreciative of authors that can create a story that sweeps me away in amorous enchantment and yet still remain squeaky clean. I can recommend this book to my 14-year-old daughter and still want ...more
Valerie Waters
Awwww!!!! What a great story!!! Awww....I have needed a good book like this for awhile now. This book was so great. I did get a little annoyed about some of the modern day speech and customs but the book was so amazing I am willing to overlook that. Gavin. ahhh what a guy!!! I loved Ella too. They were the perfect couple. Thank you Kath for recommending this book!!!! Thank you Chrissy for loaning it to me!
Ami
6 stars :) I loved it. What a beautiful love story. One of my top 3 favorite books for sure. If you loved Edenbrooke & Blackmoore, this is your next book.
Mimi
I love fairytales. :)

Ella is a princess who feels stifled in her role as princess. She wants to be useful instead of ornamental. This story is her journey towards finding a purpose, and finding love, of course. The dynamics of her relationships with her mother and father are interesting. I especially found the punishment her father chose (and its outcome) to be thought provoking. I found the philosophies of leadership interesting as well.

I really liked that the heroine didn't think that her roma
Sandy
I couldn't put this book down. I even used covert measures that I haven't resorted to since childhood to sneak out and finish this book after I was supposed to be in bed. And despite how much I loved the story, it was perhaps just a little too fanciful at times. I mean, it is fairytale-esque, but as much as I wanted certain characters to end up together, sometimes the hammer of reality would hit a little too hard and whisper, "This just wouldn't be possible."

Also, the pacing felt a little too in
Tara
If I could give this 6 stars, I would. :) I could not put it down! Such a sweet, clean story...with plenty romance, and a few semi-heart wrenching moments that had me (almost literally) clutching my heart! I actually found myself hoping my 2-month-old son, who just started sleeping through the night last week, would wake up for a feeding so I could justify reading in the middle of the night. I loved the story, fell in love with the characters, and did not want it to end! My only disappointment w ...more
Donna
Great story. Please write many more.
Anoush Emrazian
Purchased on a whim. I enjoyed this story, but parts of it were frustrating. I love the premise (Princess falls in love with commoner instead of the oft told tale the other way around) and I find it interesting that somehow the story can't be resolved in the same way.

Some things I didn't agree with. (view spoiler)
Katie Watkins
It's true--I was one of those girls who wished to be a princess. In fact, I was obsessed with Princess Diana and even now love any "royal" news. How could I not absolutely fall in love with this story?! What I found to be ironic is that Ariella is a princess but doesn't really want to be one. How could she not? Well...after this glimpse, however fictional it may be, into the life of royalty, I could definitely understand her reasoning. That didn't make me love the story any less or cause me to w ...more
Sheila
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. This is

one of those books that slowly wraps you up in it's

story never freeing you until the last word. The

characters in this story are varied, but so

memorable. I especially loved Princess Ariella or as

she likes to call herself, Ella. She is not like her six

sisters who love being royalty. Ella is bored with her

life and in the process makes friends with a gardener

by the name of Gavin. Their friendship grows into,

as Ella says, "The most precious t
M R
This novel is a breath of fresh air in the YA romance market. Princess Ariella is a delightful, strong, complex character that draws you into the story. Her friendship, and budding romance, with the handsome gardener, Gavin, is realistic and sweet. The struggles they face show that love is not always an easy path to tread, but is worth every pain in the end.

Larsen gives her characters tough choices and makes them actually deal with the consequences of every decision, good and bad. I loved how i
Tarah
Holy cow! I don't know what I was expecting when I started this book, but my expectations were blown away! I haven't come across a book that I loved liked this in a long time. I hope Annette K. Larsen writes another one soon. Ella was a fantastic character. She was strong and sympathetic. She was able to figure out who she was and try to help others. Gavin was everything I look for in a male lead, and you just fall in love with him a little bit. Ella makes moral choices that are hard, and may no ...more
Jana
By far one of the best romance novels I've ever read. Pulls you in with great, likable characters and keeps you going with a sweet and exciting love story--plus a good plot to give it even more substance. Full of those tender moments you want to go back and read again, plus exciting moments, clever humor, and some suspense as well. I love how all the obstacles in Ella and Gavin's relationship are believable, not just lame miscommunication issues like so many romance novels try to rely on. Also n ...more
Becca
This is an incredibly sweet and satisfying story. Ella and Gavin's story had me feeling all the feels. I felt nervous in parts, tears in other parts, and smiles throughout. Thank you Annette Larsen for taking matters into your own hands and creating Ella!
Joanna Stadelman
Such great characters! Great writing and a sweet, captivating storyline. (And loved all the princesses names!)
Love2read
I normally don't read romances. I can't say I know all that's expected in a romance novel, but if I were to read them often I would expect to see a nice story like this one. The characters are likeable and the story is captivating. Yes, it's predictable at times, but who cares? Overall it's a very nice and pleasant read.

I would highly recommend this book to romance lovers of all ages. If you enjoy romances and a happy ending, I think you'll like this one.

Rate: PG
Kimberly Jepson
This is the kind of book you don't want to put down once you start it. The first time I read it, I stayed up until 6 am to finish reading it (as a sleep-deprived mother of a newborn). I just love the sweet romance that grows gradually and feels like a real relationship. The writing is lovely and really sweeps you away. It is squeaky clean, which I love, without being at all cheesy. The plot is involving and the characters are very well developed. You will love it!!
Kristen
7/28/14 - Just as great the second time around.

9/24/13 - Love, love, loved it! Such a fantastic book. I could not put it down, kept pulling my eyes open so I could read just a couple more pages. Great story, great characters, great romance, great ending. I want more!!! A new favorite!

Moral Note: Clean romance, clean language, mild violence
Allison Whittle
I loved this book! It was a sweet story and an easy read. I loved that it was interesting yet also clean. I didn't have to mentally censor anything, which makes reading so much more enjoyable to me. Great characters!
Corey
I loved this book! I started reading it after dinner, intending to read for an hour and then resume the following day but I couldn't put it down. I stayed up until 1:30am to finish it.
If you are anything like me you will pick this book up and begin to read and quickly put it down thinking "predictable, cliched, formula romance". But please don't! It was all of those things (on some level) but also so much more. I set aside my misgivings and powered through the opening chapters (after all I was only in this for a bit of fluff anyway) and found so much more "meat" than I was expecting (especially for so short a novel). Often in these types of books our heroine is blown about on ...more
Hannah Clark
I really liked this book. I'm always looking for great YA books for girls to share with my daughter when I finally have one, and this definitely goes on that list.

"Just Ella" is up there with "Keturah and Lord Death" by Martine Levitte in memorableness for me. I loved Ella. She has probably just become one of the best YA heroines I've ever read. She was flawed, but she was also very level-headed, sincere, and had a lot of depth. I loved that she was able to feel some pretty deep, heart-wrenchin
Zette
I borrowed Just Ella through Amazon Prime for my Kindle because I wasn't sure I would like it since this is the author's first book. I was so pleasantly surprised by this sweet, uncomplicated, feel-good romance that I purchased the book right after I returned my borrowed copy so I could read it again in the future. Not only was the heroine a beautiful princess but she was also compassionate, honorable and strong. In the author's notes, Annette Larsen said, "My books are about women who face hard ...more
Happily Ever Afte...: Giveaway! Just Ella and Missing Lily 2 11 Aug 26, 2014 09:57AM
Clean Romances: Ebook Giveaway of Just Ella - Ends Tomorrow! 2 20 Nov 04, 2013 01:49PM
All Clean Romance...: New Release 3 17 Oct 07, 2013 11:23AM
Clean Reads: New Clean Romance 4 79 Aug 31, 2013 04:57PM
Clean Reads for M...: New Clean Romance release 16 35 Aug 29, 2013 02:28PM
Clean Romances: New Book Release 8 51 Aug 27, 2013 11:22AM
Clean,Secular/Non...: New Book Release 6 11 Aug 26, 2013 09:14PM
  • A Bargained-For Bride
  • Working it Out
  • Second Chances 101 (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #5)
  • Home Matters (A Ripple Effect Romance Novella, Book 1)
  • Silver Linings (A Ripple Effect Romance Novella, Book 2)
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Fallen
  • Immersed (The Ripple Effect Romance Novella Series, #6)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Yours (Tennessee Waltz, #2)
  • My Own Mr. Darcy
  • You Belong with Me (Love and Dessert Trilogy, #1)
  • Bayward Heart (Cascade Brides, #2)
  • As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)
  • Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • Wings of Shadow (Underground, #1)
  • The Knight of Redmond
  • Daughter of Isis  (Descendants of Isis #1)
  • Please Don't Remove Margreat's Glasses!
I was born in Utah, part of a crazy, fun family of nine. I grew up in Flagstaff, AZ and St. Louis, MO before striking out on my own college adventure in Virginia. I decided to try my hand at writing novels after I was married and living in Idaho. I write clean romance because it’s my favorite genre, but often difficult to find.

I have Charlotte Bronte to thank for the courage to write novels. After
More about Annette K. Larsen...
Missing Lily Destiny Waiting (Triple Treat Romance)

“You were the one choice I made for myself. And that one choice was taken away from me, because the night I realized I was in love with you was the same night you left.” 1 likes
“he’s the other half of my heart.” I shrugged a little, knowing it sounded fanciful and romanticized. “I can’t be myself without him.” 0 likes