Start by marking “Secrets of a Hutterite Kitchen: Unveiling The Rituals Traditions And Food Of The Hutterite Cultu” as Want to Read:

Mary-Ann Kirkby spent the first ten years of her life in a Hutterite colony and years later reclaimed her heritage in the national bestseller I Am Hutterite. Since then, Kirkby has spent two years travelling to nearly fifty Hutterite colonies across North America, earning their trust and a place in their hearts. Secrets of a Hutterite Kitchen takes readers into the midst o ...more
Published April 15th 2014 by Penguin Canada

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Hutterite Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Hutterite Kitchen

Lindsay
Oct 14, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book A LOT more than the first one. I don't know if it's because this book had a level of polishing the first didn't, or if it's because it's written more as a series of vignettes that is more of journalistic style that the author is familiar with, but I feel like it's just better over all. Some of the recipes seem great, and I would like to make them. Others crack me up, like the Hutterite Wedding Cake. The stories are all great, and I loved hearing the perspectives from ...more
Lori-ann
Nov 10, 2014 Lori-ann rated it really liked it
This author has such a straight forward and engaging style. I had many laughs as I read the quotes of the Hutterite people she included in the book. Such hard workers and a society to be admired - if I could put up with all the sacrifices and restrictions of a communal life I would love to live in such a supported living environment - they really help each other out in contrast to mainstream families (and even moreso to modern, urban families) where only 1 or 2 parents shoulder the whole load of ...more
BonnieL
May 26, 2014 BonnieL rated it really liked it
Captivating look at how Canadian Hutterite colonies function and the integral part the communal kitchen plays in their ives. The sheer scale of cooking meals and providing food fot 100+ people was fascinating. This book succeeded in bringing us into the daily lives of these interesting people. Loved it
H
Jul 24, 2015 H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
FASCINATING as well as hunger-inducing. I tagged this under cookbooks because it includes recipes - scaled down as well as the originals, so if you find yourself with 110 eggs to use in a hurry, you're in luck. I still think the descriptions of Hutterite life are overly idyllic, but I guess you'd get an entirely different book interviewing people that left the life.
Annegirl
Apr 30, 2015 Annegirl rated it it was amazing
This book was a continuation of the first, including recipes, how things are done on a colony, and it's people. Kirkby's got the Hutterites trust with her first book, which is very smart. So now she's able to actually visit for any length of time, helping with chores and truly see how Hutterites live, well done. I enjoyed this book a lot because it took me home, I could taste all the dishes and feel the comraderie of the people. Kirkby has given me an insight about my people that I always ...more
Niki
Aug 18, 2014 Niki rated it really liked it
This book was fascinating and made my mouth water! Yum! Mary-Ann Kirkby has written another very interesting and informative book about the unique culture of the Hutterites, focusing on the kitchen. Feeding the large colonies requires a lot of planning, prep work and, simply, a mind-boggling amount of food! The reader learns that there is a lot of fun, laughter, rivalry, and customs woven through the inner workings of the kitchen, as well. The food sounds delicious and adventurous readers (with ...more
Barbara
May 19, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I have loved both books by this author about the Hutterite culture. It was wonderful that she included recipes in her book, some of which I will certainly try.

I can't learn enough about the wonderful Hutterite people! Even though I have read both of the author's books, I still have unanswered questions; i.e. Do the Hutterite seniors collect Canada Pension each month?; Are there a lot of health concerns such as type 2 Diabetes on the colonies, and if so, how is this dealt with? Is it ever possib
Brittany
Mar 27, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. I liked the first one, but this one was much better- maybe because I felt like this one was more informative about the Hutterites themselves rather her own personal history as a Hutterite. I was also really impressed by and appreciated how the author kept the tone so positive and respectful, especially considering that she is no longer in the faith and community. The love that she still feels for the people and culture is very apparent.
Allyson Langworth
Jul 22, 2015 Allyson Langworth rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely amazing account and journey the reader is taken on through out this novel. Mary-Ann keeps you anticipating what happens as an individual goes through the day in a communal living setting. She makes you see although it is communal living their are still individual family times too. Demystifying communal living I gues it is best said!
Amazing writing and thank you for sharing your journey through numerous colonies with us, the reader!
Mae
May 17, 2015 Mae rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Learned about a way of life that I had the opportunity to observe as a child, but really did not know much about. Written with a sensitive humorous approach I enjoyed learning about the communal life style and in particular the method and quantity of food that has to be prepared daily. Not a lounging lifestyle by any means......
Jaclyn
Oct 31, 2014 Jaclyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies, ebooks
I thought this was an interesting read. I had found this book because of Word on the Street. The author goes and visits hutterite colonies in Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and even one in Montana. You get to learn about how Hutterites feed their colony through the kitchen and where all there food comes from and the routine of the head cooks. I found it very interesting! I would definitely recommend it anyone who like to see the world of a hutterite.
Pam
May 16, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down! Absolutely fascinating. A warm, accessible study from a lady who knows of what she speaks. I admire Ms. Kirkby in her willingness to revisit her past and to do so with an open heart. I hope she finds enough inspiration for another book, her first two are stellar. Warning....this book will certainly make you seek out the nearest farmers market or colony in search of buns and homemade jam!
Cyd Highfield
Aug 05, 2016 Cyd Highfield rated it it was amazing
This was wonderful. Part of me feels that I'm missing just a little bit because I didn't read "I Am Hutterite" before it.

Wonderful stories and amazing insight into small snippets of Canadian Hutterite history and daily life.

I'm actually looking forward to trying some of the reciped.
Kari
Aug 02, 2016 Kari rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
Having grown up with colonies around me, visiting as a child, young adult, and now back around colonies I have always been fascinated by the idea of the communal kitchen. I was happy to see this as a selection for the cookbook book club. I found two recipes to try, buns and turtle cake.
Hanna
Aug 16, 2014 Hanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed this peek into Hutterite Culture. It's easy to read and covers more than just food (although that's the heart of the book). Be warned, it will make you hungry! I'm going to have to try that cottage cheese pie sometime :)
Jackie
Jun 22, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
Kirkby portrays Hutterite life as a sort of utopia and quite a few of her descriptions felt exaggerated to me. It was an interesting read - and nice to follow up after the first book, "I am Hutterite".
Charmaine Puzey
May 19, 2014 Charmaine Puzey rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. Funny. Fantastic read. Can't wait to try some of the bread recipes. Maybe not the jellied pigs feet tho. :)
Patricia
Dec 29, 2014 Patricia rated it really liked it
This is the follow-up to I Am Hutterite. Fabulous read. There are some recipes but it is mostly a detailed look at the running of the community. I hope she comes up with a third!
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Karin Gilroy
Karin Gilroy rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Valerie Teeling
Valerie Teeling rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Cinserity
Cinserity rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Myra
Myra rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2015
Kami
Kami rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Katherine Macdonald
Katherine Macdonald rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Jolene
Jolene rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Honey, Olives, Octopus: Adventures at the Greek Table
  • Bitter Medicine: A Graphic Memoir of Mental Illness
  • My Name Is Mahtob: The Story that Began the Global Phenomenon Not Without My Daughter Continues
  • They Left Us Everything: A Memoir
  • Licking the Spoon: A Memoir of Food, Family and Identity
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
  • Wrestling with an Angel: A Story of Love, Disability and the Lessons of Grace
  • A Promise Kept
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love
  • Atheism: A Very Short Introduction
  • National Geographic Rarely Seen: Photographs of the Extraordinary
  • Karla: A Pact with the Devil
  • Bread Matters: The state of modern bread and a definitive guide to baking your own
  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible
  • Bitter Almonds
  • Chocolate Chocolate: The True Story of Two Sisters, Tons of Treats, and the Little Shop That Could
  • The Bear's Embrace: A Story of Survival