Start by marking “The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #7)

The Fyre Mirror (Elizabeth I #7)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Elizabethan England comes alive as its young queen struggles to stop a serial killer who uses fire as a weapon. From commoner to courtier, from the delights of rural England to the streets of teeming London, the queen and her coterie turn detectors in Karen Harper's acclaimed mystery series.

Smitten with spring fever, Elizabeth Tudor escapes London for fantastical Nonsuch P
Published February 15th 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published August 13th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Fyre Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fyre Mirror

Queen Elizabeth decides to have her portrait painted, so she sets up a competition to discover a winning artist. But everything goes wrong. Fires start everywhere, destroying lives and things. Who is responsible? She sets out to discover who and learns more than she bargained for.
#7 in Karen Harper's Elizabeth I Mysteries Series. Springtime has come to Elizabethan England and the Queen has gone to Nonsuch Palace in the Surrey countryside. Her father, King Henry VIII, had it built using the finest craftsmen of his time. Now his daughter revels in the perfect weather and fine accommodations...until a deadly fire burns alive two of her subjects. She calls together her "Privy Plot Council" and these amateur detectives are hot on the trail of a murdering arsonist!

NOTE: The s
I'm biased because I adore this particular genre and time period, and I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series of books by Karen Harper. They are written very similarly to Fiona Buckley's Ursla Blanchard Mysteries.... almost confusingly so. This series focuses on Queen Elizabeth I, herself, solving the murders of her subjects. Absolutely fictitious activities frequent the books (Elizabeth leaving the castle in disguise to chase down clues and criminals). But, this is why it is Historical "Fiction ...more
Quick read. Good mystery. Enjoyed the focus of Elizabeth the 1st
The situation with the artists' competition and the science of using mirrors to start fires were interesting, but the characters were wooden. The history was better than the plot.
I find it difficult to believe that any review would claim the dialog in this book is "authentic." I consistently felt my suspension of disbelief un-suspending itself as I read. The villain seemed fairly clear to me from about a quarter of the way through -- and I generally try to avoid guessing.

Alas. I had such high hopes, too. I'll probably read another book in the series to see if this one was perhaps just a fluke.
Katherine Blocksdorf
While I thought the writing was good, the premise was ridiculous. Elizabeth I chasing after mysterious arsonists and taking them on single-handedly? Obviously, lots of folks are entertained by these types of stories, but for me, she led an interesting enough life without making up silly mysteries.
I really love this mystery series. Lots of intrigue, danger, and fun with Queen Elizabeth I and her most trusted servants and courtiers use good ole detective work to solve mysteries within her Court. If you like this period of history, you'll have fun with these books.
Very good. This was the second book by this author that I have read, and I have enjoyed them thoroughly. I plan on reading the entire Elizabeth I series. Just when you think you know whodunnit, Ms. Harper gives you a new suspect to consider.
Lady Heinz
I enjoyed the story, but having Queen Elizabeth as a detective...well, it just stretches my ability to imagine just a leetle too far. Would have worked if the person solving the mystery was perhaps a character close to the queen instead.
Diane Heath
In this mystery Elizabeth and her Privy Plot Council must discover who is the arsonist killing her artists. What is the motive behind the fires? What did her young protege learn in Italy that has put his life in danger?
I just could not get into this story. I realize this is fiction, but Elizabeth I as a sleuth solving a murder mystery? Just didn't work for me.
What a fascinating and intriguing story! I love the idea of Q.E.I as a sleuth! Kind of an Elizabethan Sherlock Holmes. A fun read.
Danielle Reily
Danielle Reily marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Sam Spencer
Sam Spencer marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Valentine Morgenstern
Valentine Morgenstern marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Erin Farmer
Erin Farmer marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Christina Elliott
Christina Elliott marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Andrea added it
Aug 30, 2015
Jenna marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Janie marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Sara added it
Sep 20, 2015
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • Face Down Upon an Herbal (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #2)
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • Morning's Journey (The Dragon's Dove Chronicles #2)
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • Secret of the Lost Settlement: The Duty of Warriors
  • Men and Their Whims
  • The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)
  • Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • All the Queen's Players
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...

Elizabeth I (9 books)
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • The Tidal Poole (Elizabeth I, #2)
  • The Twylight Tower (Elizabeth I, #3)
  • The Queene's Cure (Elizabeth I, #4)
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
  • The Queene's Christmas (Elizabeth I, #6)
  • The Fatal Fashione (Elizabeth I, #8)
  • The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I, #9)
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)