The Queene's Cure (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #4)

The Queene's Cure (Elizabeth I #4)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Karen Harper’s crowd-pleasing Elizabeth I Mystery series, hailed as “extraordinary” by the Los Angeles Times, continues with this marvelous, majestic novel. The Queene’s Cure transports us into the shadowy world of sixteenth-century medicine, as an enlightened young queen seeks the cures that could heal a realm and transform a land....

In late summer of 1562, within a bedc...more
Published March 26th 2002 by Delacorte Press (first published 2002)

Ape
What a silly book =). But it was quite good for a day of travelling back after holidays and hopping from train to train, as it didn't require a lot of thought and I could dibble in and out. As a crime mystery, it is screamingly obvious, but there is a moment towards the end when I was concerned for her majesty's safety - he he. With all the silly crime fiction out there, there couldn't not be Queen Elizabeth I detective... with her private privy council, her detective squad that she sends out on...more
Cera
I found this less satisfying than the previous books because one of the plots in the book seemed to anticipate germ theory by a few hundred years. It is _entirely possible_ that there really was a proto-germ-theory going around in Elizabethan times that died out due to inability to prove it, or all the upset of the English Civil War, or any number of other reasons. But it flung me out of the book and left me going 'Hey, wait a minute...' which was unsatisfying.

Also, the level of physical peril t...more
Christie
First sentence: "She mustn't die."

Queen Elizabeth is having trouble with her Royal College of Physicians. Her subjects are at the mercy of disease and pestilence and England's physicians are lagging behind the continent in medical knowledge. Leaving the college, Elizabeth finds a pox-marked effigy of herself in the royal carriage. Taking it as a threat to herself, Elizabeth is determined to find who is responsible before the effigy's prophecy comes true.

I have to say this is probably my favorite...more
Denise
I've just finished this book and I must say that this is the best (so far) of the author's Elizabeth I's books! It is 1562 and the Queen's surrogate "mother", Kat Ashley, is seriously ill. A German physician is called in as a last hope when the Queen's physicians can do no more. He manages to retrieve Kat from the jaws of death with his "new" techniques. And so we are introduced to the world of 16th century medicine at a time when a smallpox epidemic was considered the work of a wrathful God. He...more
Moonmomie
I'm biased because I adore this particular genre and time period, and I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series of books by Karen Harper. They are written very similarly to Fiona Buckley's Ursla Blanchard Mysteries.... almost confusingly so. This series focuses on Queen Elizabeth I, herself, solving the murders of her subjects. Absolutely fictitious activities frequent the books (Elizabeth leaving the castle in disguise to chase down clues and criminals). But, this is why it is Historical "Fiction...more
Susan
I didn't expect to like this so much. The history is good and the mystery keeps you guessing. Queen Elizabeth is searching for a way to keep her constituents healthy in a time when medical was all about leeches and lancets. Along the way, there are people who wish to see her off the throne and go to extreme lengths to make it happen. The cast of suspects are many - the doctors from the Royal Medical College, courtiers that have been dismissed from court, and members of her own family from the St...more
Hermien
Another delightful Elizabeth I investigation.
Terri Lyons
Enjoyed the historical elements, particularly the notion of "medicine" in Elizabethan England but I had a hard time reconciling a 27 year old Elizabeth as an amateur detective. She certainly was brilliant enough, extremely well read, and very much a control freak - all of which would lead her to be very interested in any crimes/murders that would impact on her, her crown and England but, really, sneaking out in the middle of the night to detect??? When would she have had the time?
Jody
I truly enjoyed this book about London & Queen Elizabeth the 1st. The pompous doctors in this book come across quite well. Elizabeth is right to fear that someone is trying to not only frighten her but to give her smallpox. She and her Privy Plot Council work to find out who is trying to upset the crown of England. Karen Harper makes Elizabethan England come alive in this series.
Carmen
Once again Queen Elizabeth is searching for the clues to a murder. She does not involve Meg, but she is in the picture as she has medecines which help them figure out what is going on. It is always interesting to find out the daily life of the times, the ideas, prejudices, etc. while reading a story.
Julia
I really enjoyed this speculation of disease theory in Elizabethan time and appreciated that the author did research in doctor's books of the era. Not necessary to know if it is absolutely conceivable because this is Fictional, after all. Great Historical fiction!
Lalla
This book is an excellent read. The book is filled with many historical details while it follows Queen Elizabeth and her trusted circle of servants and courtiers as they try to solve a plot to end her reign on the throne.
Diane Heath
This "episode" in the Elizabethan mysteries explains how Meg returns to the Queen's service. It is an interesting look at the state of medicine in Tudor England.
Heidi
Elizabeth 1 mystery #4---about the demented undertakings of a Dr from the Royal College of Physicians placing effigies and infecting the queen with the pox
Barbara
Higly amusing story, not very believable due to the choice of characters and the way they behave which they wouldn't in that time, but still highly amusing.
Bettie Lindley
The series is a fascinating look at Elizabethan England using the scaffold of mystery. It also has interesting feminist outlooks.
Jami
UGGH! Another book I won from the library- this one was awfullll....maybe i should have signed up for military history..
Heather
lovely characters, beautiful writing, interesting plot. haven't finished yet, but am enjoying, esp historical lore.
Cindy
This is the best in the series to date. I loved the medical information and cures suggested etc.
Jeni
I love Elizabethan fiction...this was pretty good.
Viji
One of Elizabath I Mysteries. Nice reading.
Ann Caitilin McCarthy
Ann Caitilin McCarthy marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Megan Assalone
Megan Assalone marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kimberlee Teitzel
Kimberlee Teitzel marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Katie Menzel-Butz
Katie Menzel-Butz marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kate Jordan
Kate Jordan marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Gazebo (Miss Silver, #27)
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • The Queen's Exiles
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • A Prayer for the Damned (Sister Fidelma, #17)
  • The Blood That Cries in the Ground
  • Coaster
  • Her Bodyguard
  • All the Queen's Players
  • A Whisper From Eden
  • Fatal Majesty: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots
  • Cursed in the Blood (Catherine LeVendeur, #5)
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott...more
More about Karen Harper...
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)