Mending Fences

Mending Fences

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  626 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Two families--bound by friendship-- devastated by secretsFor ten years Emily Dobbs and Marcie Carter have been the closest of friends. They've raised their kids together, shared joy and heartache, exchanged neighborhood gossip over tea. But when Marcie's son, now a college freshman sports star, is arrested for date rape, the bond between the families could be shattered for...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Mending Fences, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mending Fences

Spring Clark
This was an interesting read. What would you do if a member of your best friend's family were accused of a crime? How would your support and not judge? What would happen if the crime hit a closer to home - to one of your family members? Could you separate what was done to them from who did it and not blame others?

I liked this story and thought it raised lots of interesting questions.
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
Great story. Two friends are best friends for 10 years and one of them's son is accused of date rape. Done very well. :)
Laurie
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Jul 08, 2009 Liberty Abbott-Sylvester rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves an intense family drama
Recommended to Liberty by: Novel Ladies 5 Star Nomination
For more than ten years two women have been friends-Marci Carter, mother of two, married to a verbally abusive husband and Emily Dobbs, mother of two, married but alone due to a husband devoted to his job. Marcie and Emily have raised their children together, shared secrets, laughs and more. But that friendship is about to be tested as Marci's son Evan is accused of date rape. Marci's husband Ken will do anything to prove his son's innocence, even if that means losing his wife and daughter. Emil...more
Donna
This was another good book by Sherryl Woods only a little long to get to the end which was pretty predictable. Sad how a father can influence a son with his demeaning put down of his wife and the son's mother, it was more or less Ken's fault how his son turned out. Thank goodness for the mother who finally saw the truth and stood up for herself and daughter. Good friends are a treasure to behold...
Jan Mcleod
Everything I have read by Ms. Woods has been exceptionally good, but this novel surpasses them all!
There are a number of flashbacks in the story to fill in background information, establish character's personalities and relationships. However, the story now centers around Evan Carter, a college freshman who has a dual personality---Mr. Perfect and a bully who continually rapes young women.
Unfortunately, Evan's family, the Carters, and a close neighboring family, the Dobbs, have been good friends...more
Laurel
This is the book I read; not another one by the same name that I added in error earlier. It's an "ok" fast read. It gives some good lessons to teach your teenagers, and some life lessons for spouses. I prefer books with a christian slant, but there is a moral tone in Emily's life philosophy. The main characters are in two families that do everything together as their young children are growing up. When the children are older teens, the oldest boy is accused of a heinous crime, and the families h...more
Amy
Don't Stop Reading
If I remember correctly, the romance in this book doesn't start until nearly halfway through. I enjoyed reading about the families and the detectives working on the crime so much that I didn't think the story really needed a romance. In fact, at one point while I was reading, I'd thought, "Oh, this isn't a romance but rather all about a crime & two families.". The romance between Emily & Grady seemed like it was tacked on, in a way. The story could have worked without it.
Luisa
Loved this book! It was so interesting, dealing with date rape and verbal abuse and how the two families affected dealt with the situation. The suspense increases subtly, not because of a threatening situation, but that you can't anticipate when the truth will come out and what will everyone do with it once it happens. The author handled this delicate theme with a lot of finesse and the story of how friendship overcomes these obstacles was very uplifting.
Alexis Kasznia
I thought this book was excellent. Woods uses the technique of Streamline to get the reader up to speed on who the two best friends are, their husbands, their two kids and the awful secret one family holds as one son is facing the possibility of losing everything he worked for, while his family is unraveling as well as the friendship of the two moms in this story. A must read for women and friends alike to see how the boundaries of friendship are tested.
this book is about 2 family's that meet and share a life for several years. children and parents becoming friends/family. each family has its own problems which they discuss or hide from the other. it covers present, to past, to present. 1 day something tragic happens ripping 1 family apart but with a domino effect hitting the other one, one with a secret kept by the daughter which could initially tear the bond between mothers/families apart for life...
Kelly
Whata great read. Some intense emotions, and not the light summer romance as the last 2 books I read by her but I really enjoyed the book. Well written and well developed characters. And even though everything was wrapped up, I would love to know what happened and how the girls grew up. Recommend this one!
Christi Tollinger
This was an okay quick read kind of book. It explores the relationships of one family and their children. The one woman's son is charged with rape and while they want to believe he is innocent it is not easy to do knowing the child and his disrespect for his mother.
Gloria Bernal
I liked it, my first novel by Woods but it won't be my last. Fast and easy to read. This one about two families that lived back to back from each other, best friends for years, and then one tragic incident changes everything. Recommended domestic life drama.
B D
Jul 30, 2008 B D is currently reading it
A story about 2 neighbors who are best friends. A terrible secret is revealed that may or may not spoil thier friendship. Intriguing read, and the subject of the book (rape - specifically date rape) is especially interesting to me.
Robin
I enjoyed this book a lot. Its a good romance with history bringing two people apart & together. Doesn't take a lot of brainpower to read this which is just what I needed... to be entertained.
Will remember this author.
Corky
The best of friends Marcie Carter and Emily Dobbs for ten years, now find their friendship being tested by date rape involving both families. It is only the strength of the women that keeps the friendship alive.

Mary
Easy read with a good story line. Wish I had enjoyed the love story within the plot a little more, though, I found it a bit cheesy and under developed. It almost seemed like an afterthought to me.
Christine
I enjoyed this book about two families who care about each other suddenly faced with a terrible conflict. This is a well written book about a traumatic experience that happens all too often.
Diana Senn
Feb 21, 2014 Diana Senn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: female romance readers
This is a great book, it deals with long time friends and the times and trials of staying together thru very trying situations. It.s the story of forgiveness under the worse possible situations
Angie crosby
An easy to read book that makes you think. I really enjoyed this book. Read the bulk of it in one day.

How do you react when something tears your life apart? Especially a friendship?
Chiara
This is a very easy read. I consider this a fluff book but great chick lit. about a friendship through the years and family and how we don't always see what is right in front of our face.
Ashley
May 25, 2009 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Debbie Macomber or Sherryl Woods fans
Such an awesome book. I learned that rape can happen to anyone, even close friends, whether you think that someone is capable or not. A great read!
Stephanie
This book was EXCELLENT!! I read it in one day! I love Sherryl Woods books they are light and funny and serious all wrapped in one!
Lori Martin
Wonderful read about a terrible subject...date rape.....Sherryl writes a great book....will read many of her other books
Lisa
Powerful story, well done and felt true to life. Pulled my heart strings. Nice characterizations. I liked it!
Evelyn garcia
very interesting with an exciting twist ! the ending was so good it tied back with the title i love it!
Marleen
This was the best Sherryl Woods book I've read so far. I'd give it a 3.5 without a doubt.
Monette Logue
This was good and easy read. I enjoyed the suspense and the characters of the book.
  • Changing Habits
  • Fireside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #5)
  • A Reckless Beauty (Romney Marsh, #5)
  • Desperate Measures
  • Total Control (NASCAR, #5)
  • Sacred Ground
  • Missing
  • The Queen's Lady (Graham, #7)
  • Never Too Late
With two other careers to her credit before becoming a novelist and four states in which she's lived for extended periods of time, Sherryl Woods has collected friends and memories, along with way too much unnecessary junk.

"The friends are the only things I've brought with me through the years that really matter," she says. "I could probably live without one more chintz teacup, another tin-litho sa...more
More about Sherryl Woods...
The Inn at Eagle Point (Chesapeake Shores, #1) Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1) Harbor Lights (Chesapeake Shores, #3) Beach Lane (Chesapeake Shores #7) Flowers on Main (Chesapeake Shores, #2)