Start by marking “Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)

Orchid Blues (Holly Barker #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,895 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
Orchid Blues (Holly Barker Novels)
Published October 29th 2001 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Orchid Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orchid Blues

Alien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniBaby by J.K. AccinniTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonA Land Remembered by Patrick D. SmithThe Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Best Books Set in or About Florida
130th out of 262 books — 152 voters
Stormy Weather by Carl HiaasenTourist Season by Carl HiaasenThe Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonaldBasket Case by Carl HiaasenSkinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen
Florida Mystery/Thrillers
104th out of 145 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Ed
Jan 29, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Holly Barker series. After an Army MP career, Holly starts as police chief of the small FL town of Orchid Beach. Eventually this quick reading series is connected with, and then absorbed by, author Woods' Stone Barrington universe.

Orchid Beach, FL Police Chief Holly Barker series - Holly is on her way to be married to Jackson Oxenhandler, her steady beau, when her wedding day is shattered by a serious crime that takes place very close to home. A highly disciplined team of men hit a ban
Katherine
The plots holes kept bothering me too much to really get into this book. For example, the dead people in the submerged car. It was clearly stated that this family had a son, but unless I missed it, he wasn't in the car, and no one looked for him, just fell off the plot. Annoyed me, cause would holly as chief of police be looking for this kid? Like for his welfare as well as being a potential witness?

And the se had to be the most gullible bad guys of All Time. They shoot someone, the his fiancée
Mary
Apr 20, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Orchid Blues is the first Holly Barker story I have read. It is the book where she meets Stone Barrington. I would like to read the first book in this series since I enjoyed this one so much.

We met the man she was to marry, only to lose him in the second chapter! Jackson Oxenhandler I think I remember was his name. He was on his way to the wedding and in the right place at the wrong time. A bank was being robbed and he was there to get money for their honeymoon in Paris!

That is where it starts
Alan
Aug 04, 2016 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the first book of his that I have read and it was great!
Sharon
Jul 29, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable but enjoyable summer read.
John
Susan
After enjoying the first book of the series so much, I was a little disappointed in this follow-up book. For me the book was still a good read but a few things just rubbed me the wrong way:
>the plot line of book two seemed to borrow a great deal from the first book
>Holly was not only not the main character of the book, but sidelined behind two male characters
--It is a shame that after creating such a wonderful female protagonist in the book one, Woods gave her such a minor role in book two
Nolan
Jul 04, 2016 Nolan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls-audio
In this second book of the Holly Barker series, she has caught the attention of several federal agencies who were clearly impressed with her ability to solve high-profile cases. She also caught the attention of one of the lawyers in the district attorney’s office. His attention resulted in a marriage proposal, and as the book opens, it’s Holly’s wedding day. Her husband-to-be, with a bit of free time on his hands before the ceremony starts decides to make a stop at the bank to ensure that the ne ...more
Nancy
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals, HERE!

I have found that I rather enjoy the Holly Barker series, and found that I absolutely enjoyed listening to Orchid Blues, Book #2, by Stuart Woods!

I absolutely love Holly as a character! She is the perfect woman character for me. She is strong, charismatic, independent, and doesn't give a darn what anyone else says or thinks, she does what she feels is right! She reminds me of Lisa Gardner's D.D. Warren. Holly Barker is qu
Amy
May 09, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to say right off, Stuart Woods pissed me off right off the bat with this one. Killing off one of my favorite characters is a good way for me to put down the book and say "Nope, not finishing it." But, I kept going. I'm glad I did.

Holly kept herself together well and did a good job helping to find the killers. I will say that I thought she didn't go far enough in one particular situation to try to catch them. I wish she had done a little more ass-kicking like in Orchid Beach.

Other than
Evil Twin One (Ange)
Shelley
Feb 14, 2011 Shelley rated it liked it
Synopsis: Holly is on her way to be married to Jackson Oxenhandler, her steady beau, when her wedding day is shattered by a serious crime that takes place very close to home. A highly disciplined team of men hit a bank in Orchid Beach, Florida, and the waves from this robbery nearly capsize Holly's life. She vows to find these men-who have been careful enough to leave nothing behind except the corpse of a bank customer-and quickly, she discovers evidence that leads her into the midst of what app ...more
Kshydog
Mar 11, 2015 Kshydog rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was surprised that just like in the first book, a character close to Holly, her fiancée, dies without giving any info about the killer. Did not like that Holly did not play a major role in this story though she did work with Harry Crisp, the FBI agent again. Her father, Ham, took over all the adventures in this one by getting involved with a militia group of extremists. Scary to realize there are groups like them in existence. Disappointing the way various units of government do not try very har ...more
April
Apr 12, 2014 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Stuart Woods' books are potboilers, I find myself quite liking the Holly Barker series. We all have times when we just want a light, good story that has elements that appeal to us. In my case, it started with the first book in the series having a Dobermann Pinscher on the cover. However, I dipped into one of the Stone Barrington series (what a laughably phoney name, likely intentional), excepting the ones were Holly, Stone and Daisy the Dobermann work on cases together.
Laura Lavender-blackwood
I give this a three star read. I read this book out of order. Didn't know that until the end. I still like it even out if order it made me rush out to get the first book from the library. Good thing the library had it. The first few pages I cried very touching than I wanted revenge in the worst way. I think I even became a little blood thirst. I loved the way Stone Barrington was put in the book. I do so love him. Looking forward to reading Holly's first story.
Kem
Jan 10, 2016 Kem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are parts I liked and many parts I didn't. There were a few 'hold your breath' moments, but these were overshadowed by a lot of unbelievable parts that ruined what could have been a good plot. I don't like it when those who are supposed to be good guys do bad things. There were several in this book. FBI and Secret Service. There's also a lack of closure in this book. I don't know if that's typical in Woods book, but I hope not.
Nancy
Jul 25, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel to Orchid Beach, we rejoin Holly Barker, the chief of police of Orchid Beach, Florida. She is engaged to her sweetheart, but then things take a turn that she does not anticipate on her wedding day. I applaud Woods for creating such a strong, yet believable, female character. I think Holly is appealing in that she has emotions, but doesn't live by them. I've also been sucked into Woods' world that he has created. If you read enough of his novels, you can visit with characters from ...more
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting-enough plot, marred by far from believable characters, particularly a small-town policewoman who responds to her fiancé’s murder only hours before their wedding, by matter-of-factly working the case in consultation with her new best friend, the man who witnessed the murder and tried to help the dying man.
Susan
Sep 12, 2015 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I really liked the first one and was very disappointed with this one.

I did not get much past the first chapter. When the tragedy that happens in the first chapter, it turns me off of the entire story. Then I believe she behaves more like a man would than a woman. It did not set well with me and I did not finish it.
Eadie
Dec 15, 2014 Eadie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 2nd book of the Holly Barker series. I am really enjoying this series and also the part Holly's doberman, Daisy, has in the book. This was a fast-paced plot that kept me interested until the end. I will definitely keep reading this series and I look forward to the the next installment.
Mary
May 11, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not set in Hawaii but certainly a book to read in the land of beautiful flowers. Another book found on a resort bookshelves. The groom dressed in white stops at a bank while ON HIS WAY to his own wedding. His tension at being detained leads to his murder ... and the plot thickens.
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holly meets Stone on her wedding day. Holly's fiance Jackson is killed in a bank robbery on their wedding day, standing in line with Stone Barrington. The robbery was planned by The Elect, a shadow militia right wing group plotting to cleanse the US. The robbery investigation points to an inside job, and the suspects lead Holly and Ham to Lake Winachobee where Ham is recruited into the inner sanctum. The Elect plot an assassination attempt against the president, using Ham and a Barretts 50 cal s ...more
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, stuart-woods
HB-B @ 2001, 9/07/04. 2nd Holly Barker Series. While Holly waits at the courthouse for her groom, he disrupts a robbery and gets killed. Holly throws herself into her job to solve the robbery and she and Ham stumble across a bun toting cult bent on changing America. Very good.
Andrea
Aug 11, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this Holly Barker series. Book 1 was a clear 5 star mystery and a page turner. This one was really good too and I worth the read if you liked the first one as much as I did. I would give it a
4 if I could.
Ellen Moore
Aug 29, 2015 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series by Woods with the female police chief. There is plenty of action and romance, and the characters are well developed and interesting. Daisy the dog also adds interest as does Holly's father Ham.
Gayle
Jul 16, 2015 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is reminding me of the Evanovich/Coban/Grafton series; I figured since there are only 3 of them, and since I enjoyed the first one well enough, that I'd read all these. Nice and quick books to read.
Kristin
Jun 07, 2015 Kristin rated it liked it
Not as good as some of Woods' other books, but it definitely kept my interest--as he always does. Usually there is a big twist at the end of his books, but with this one, not so much. Still worth the read if you are a Stuart Woods fan. Quick and light.
Robert Hill
Mar 19, 2014 Robert Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a better than average thriller. The plot contains an interesting conspiracy story that sounds plausible to me. I am not a great admirer of Woods' prose but it is passable and is above average entertainment.
Lee
When Police Chief Holly Barker's fiance is murdered during a bank robbery moments before their wedding, Holly buries herself in her work trying to find the perpetrators.
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Everglades (Doc Ford Mystery, #10)
  • Clandestine
  • Stone Cold (Jesse Stone, #4)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • The Missing World
  • Boca Knights
  • Blinded (Alan Gregory, #12)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast, #4)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • Ties That Bind (Amanda Jaffe, #2)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Holly Barker (6 books)
  • Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1)
  • Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Iron Orchid (Holly Barker, #5)
  • Hothouse Orchid (Holly Barker, #6)