Start by marking “Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)

Orchid Blues (Holly Barker #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,179 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Orchid Blues, by Woods, Stuart
Published October 29th 2001 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Orchid Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orchid Blues

Katherine
The plots holes kept bothering me too much to really get into this book. For example, the dead people in the submerged car. It was clearly stated that this family had a son, but unless I missed it, he wasn't in the car, and no one looked for him, just fell off the plot. Annoyed me, cause would holly as chief of police be looking for this kid? Like for his welfare as well as being a potential witness?

And the se had to be the most gullible bad guys of All Time. They shoot someone, the his fiancée
Mary
Orchid Blues is the first Holly Barker story I have read. It is the book where she meets Stone Barrington. I would like to read the first book in this series since I enjoyed this one so much.

We met the man she was to marry, only to lose him in the second chapter! Jackson Oxenhandler I think I remember was his name. He was on his way to the wedding and in the right place at the wrong time. A bank was being robbed and he was there to get money for their honeymoon in Paris!

That is where it starts
Nancy
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals, HERE!

I have found that I rather enjoy the Holly Barker series, and found that I absolutely enjoyed listening to Orchid Blues, Book #2, by Stuart Woods!

I absolutely love Holly as a character! She is the perfect woman character for me. She is strong, charismatic, independent, and doesn't give a darn what anyone else says or thinks, she does what she feels is right! She reminds me of Lisa Gardner's D.D. Warren. Holly Barker is qu
Amy
I'm going to say right off, Stuart Woods pissed me off right off the bat with this one. Killing off one of my favorite characters is a good way for me to put down the book and say "Nope, not finishing it." But, I kept going. I'm glad I did.

Holly kept herself together well and did a good job helping to find the killers. I will say that I thought she didn't go far enough in one particular situation to try to catch them. I wish she had done a little more ass-kicking like in Orchid Beach.

Other than
Evil Twin One (Ange)
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Synopsis: Holly is on her way to be married to Jackson Oxenhandler, her steady beau, when her wedding day is shattered by a serious crime that takes place very close to home. A highly disciplined team of men hit a bank in Orchid Beach, Florida, and the waves from this robbery nearly capsize Holly's life. She vows to find these men-who have been careful enough to leave nothing behind except the corpse of a bank customer-and quickly, she discovers evidence that leads her into the midst of what app ...more
Kshydog
Was surprised that just like in the first book, a character close to Holly, her fiancée, dies without giving any info about the killer. Did not like that Holly did not play a major role in this story though she did work with Harry Crisp, the FBI agent again. Her father, Ham, took over all the adventures in this one by getting involved with a militia group of extremists. Scary to realize there are groups like them in existence. Disappointing the way various units of government do not try very har ...more
April
While Stuart Woods' books are potboilers, I find myself quite liking the Holly Barker series. We all have times when we just want a light, good story that has elements that appeal to us. In my case, it started with the first book in the series having a Dobermann Pinscher on the cover. However, I dipped into one of the Stone Barrington series (what a laughably phoney name, likely intentional), excepting the ones were Holly, Stone and Daisy the Dobermann work on cases together.
Laura Lavender-blackwood
I give this a three star read. I read this book out of order. Didn't know that until the end. I still like it even out if order it made me rush out to get the first book from the library. Good thing the library had it. The first few pages I cried very touching than I wanted revenge in the worst way. I think I even became a little blood thirst. I loved the way Stone Barrington was put in the book. I do so love him. Looking forward to reading Holly's first story.
Nancy
In this sequel to Orchid Beach, we rejoin Holly Barker, the chief of police of Orchid Beach, Florida. She is engaged to her sweetheart, but then things take a turn that she does not anticipate on her wedding day. I applaud Woods for creating such a strong, yet believable, female character. I think Holly is appealing in that she has emotions, but doesn't live by them. I've also been sucked into Woods' world that he has created. If you read enough of his novels, you can visit with characters from ...more
Eadie
This was the 2nd book of the Holly Barker series. I am really enjoying this series and also the part Holly's doberman, Daisy, has in the book. This was a fast-paced plot that kept me interested until the end. I will definitely keep reading this series and I look forward to the the next installment.
Mary
Not set in Hawaii but certainly a book to read in the land of beautiful flowers. Another book found on a resort bookshelves. The groom dressed in white stops at a bank while ON HIS WAY to his own wedding. His tension at being detained leads to his murder ... and the plot thickens.
Will
Holly meets Stone on her wedding day. Holly's fiance Jackson is killed in a bank robbery on their wedding day, standing in line with Stone Barrington. The robbery was planned by The Elect, a shadow militia right wing group plotting to cleanse the US. The robbery investigation points to an inside job, and the suspects lead Holly and Ham to Lake Winachobee where Ham is recruited into the inner sanctum. The Elect plot an assassination attempt against the president, using Ham and a Barretts 50 cal s ...more
Robert Hill
This is a better than average thriller. The plot contains an interesting conspiracy story that sounds plausible to me. I am not a great admirer of Woods' prose but it is passable and is above average entertainment.
mitchell thomas
good read

a good read, sidney sheldon. harold robbins? he makes me think of some great stories, thank you mister woods we need more
Greer Andjanetta
An easily readable and entertaining (as always) book from SW. The 2nd in the Holly Barker character series with more adventures in the Florida town where she is sherrif.
Jann
This is book two of the series whose main character is Holly Barker, chief of police in Orchid Beach, Florida. The story starts off with a bang (literally) and kept my interest throughout. I really like Stuart Woods style of writing.
Marianne
Scary group out to overthrow the govt. infiltrated by Holly's father. Danger, sadness, and sheer bravado prevail.
Diane Wallace
thought i'd only like Stone's story...but now Holly's mystery is awesome also..wow!!!
Barbara Mckinney
First book I read by him. Was recommended. I will read more.
Ashley
I fully enjoy the Holly Barker books although I am not a fan when she shows up in the Stone novels. Woods has a habit of changing characters to fit a book and sadly, Holly falls flat (as most of the Stone females do) unless she is in her own world. Having read other Holly novels (out of order :( ) I knew she was never married but wasn't expecting Jackson's demise to occur so early. I had thought killing off characters was Woods' way of easily disposing with Stone's many lovers but I see now that ...more
Linda Davis
I really liked it...Kept the suspense going all the way to the very end!
would have liked to know who was on the other side though...
G.
The ending is unbelievable, but still fun.
Mike Calhoon
Holly Barker#2: With Father Killer wants Holly
Jenn
Vicki
Held my interest and I would definitely pick up more in the Holly Barker series.
Beth
Reading a crappy book like this is what happens when you finish your book in an airport and have to read what your husband just finished. His report that it wasn't too good should have been a red flag. I should have bought a magazine. Anyway, I didn't like this... it was far fetched with stilted dialog and annoying characters. I don't recommend.

(Apologies to any of my friends who are Stuart Woods fans, I may be being a bit hard on this one. Probably it was just a letdown after reading two books
  • The Early Spenser (Spenser, #1-3)
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Star Struck (Kate Brannigan, #6)
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • Everglades
  • Clandestine
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • The Carousel
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 2: The Last Coyote / Trunk Music / Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #4-6)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Holly Barker (6 books)
  • Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1)
  • Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Iron Orchid (Holly Barker, #5)
  • Hothouse Orchid (Holly Barker, #6)
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)