Start by marking “Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)” as Want to Read:
Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)

Orchid Blues (Holly Barker #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  4,477 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Orchid Blues (Holly Barker Novels)
Published October 29th 2001 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Orchid Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orchid Blues

Alien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniBaby by J.K. AccinniTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonA Land Remembered by Patrick D. SmithThe Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Best Books Set in or About Florida
124th out of 251 books — 144 voters
Stormy Weather by Carl HiaasenTourist Season by Carl HiaasenThe Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonaldBasket Case by Carl HiaasenSkinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen
Florida Mystery/Thrillers
101st out of 143 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

The plots holes kept bothering me too much to really get into this book. For example, the dead people in the submerged car. It was clearly stated that this family had a son, but unless I missed it, he wasn't in the car, and no one looked for him, just fell off the plot. Annoyed me, cause would holly as chief of police be looking for this kid? Like for his welfare as well as being a potential witness?

And the se had to be the most gullible bad guys of All Time. They shoot someone, the his fiancée
Orchid Blues is the first Holly Barker story I have read. It is the book where she meets Stone Barrington. I would like to read the first book in this series since I enjoyed this one so much.

We met the man she was to marry, only to lose him in the second chapter! Jackson Oxenhandler I think I remember was his name. He was on his way to the wedding and in the right place at the wrong time. A bank was being robbed and he was there to get money for their honeymoon in Paris!

That is where it starts
Predictable but enjoyable summer read.
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals, HERE!

I have found that I rather enjoy the Holly Barker series, and found that I absolutely enjoyed listening to Orchid Blues, Book #2, by Stuart Woods!

I absolutely love Holly as a character! She is the perfect woman character for me. She is strong, charismatic, independent, and doesn't give a darn what anyone else says or thinks, she does what she feels is right! She reminds me of Lisa Gardner's D.D. Warren. Holly Barker is qu
I'm going to say right off, Stuart Woods pissed me off right off the bat with this one. Killing off one of my favorite characters is a good way for me to put down the book and say "Nope, not finishing it." But, I kept going. I'm glad I did.

Holly kept herself together well and did a good job helping to find the killers. I will say that I thought she didn't go far enough in one particular situation to try to catch them. I wish she had done a little more ass-kicking like in Orchid Beach.

Other than
Evil Twin One (Ange)
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Synopsis: Holly is on her way to be married to Jackson Oxenhandler, her steady beau, when her wedding day is shattered by a serious crime that takes place very close to home. A highly disciplined team of men hit a bank in Orchid Beach, Florida, and the waves from this robbery nearly capsize Holly's life. She vows to find these men-who have been careful enough to leave nothing behind except the corpse of a bank customer-and quickly, she discovers evidence that leads her into the midst of what app ...more
Was surprised that just like in the first book, a character close to Holly, her fiancée, dies without giving any info about the killer. Did not like that Holly did not play a major role in this story though she did work with Harry Crisp, the FBI agent again. Her father, Ham, took over all the adventures in this one by getting involved with a militia group of extremists. Scary to realize there are groups like them in existence. Disappointing the way various units of government do not try very har ...more
While Stuart Woods' books are potboilers, I find myself quite liking the Holly Barker series. We all have times when we just want a light, good story that has elements that appeal to us. In my case, it started with the first book in the series having a Dobermann Pinscher on the cover. However, I dipped into one of the Stone Barrington series (what a laughably phoney name, likely intentional), excepting the ones were Holly, Stone and Daisy the Dobermann work on cases together.
Laura Lavender-blackwood
I give this a three star read. I read this book out of order. Didn't know that until the end. I still like it even out if order it made me rush out to get the first book from the library. Good thing the library had it. The first few pages I cried very touching than I wanted revenge in the worst way. I think I even became a little blood thirst. I loved the way Stone Barrington was put in the book. I do so love him. Looking forward to reading Holly's first story.
In this sequel to Orchid Beach, we rejoin Holly Barker, the chief of police of Orchid Beach, Florida. She is engaged to her sweetheart, but then things take a turn that she does not anticipate on her wedding day. I applaud Woods for creating such a strong, yet believable, female character. I think Holly is appealing in that she has emotions, but doesn't live by them. I've also been sucked into Woods' world that he has created. If you read enough of his novels, you can visit with characters from ...more
I really liked the first one and was very disappointed with this one.

I did not get much past the first chapter. When the tragedy that happens in the first chapter, it turns me off of the entire story. Then I believe she behaves more like a man would than a woman. It did not set well with me and I did not finish it.
This was the 2nd book of the Holly Barker series. I am really enjoying this series and also the part Holly's doberman, Daisy, has in the book. This was a fast-paced plot that kept me interested until the end. I will definitely keep reading this series and I look forward to the the next installment.
Not set in Hawaii but certainly a book to read in the land of beautiful flowers. Another book found on a resort bookshelves. The groom dressed in white stops at a bank while ON HIS WAY to his own wedding. His tension at being detained leads to his murder ... and the plot thickens.
Holly meets Stone on her wedding day. Holly's fiance Jackson is killed in a bank robbery on their wedding day, standing in line with Stone Barrington. The robbery was planned by The Elect, a shadow militia right wing group plotting to cleanse the US. The robbery investigation points to an inside job, and the suspects lead Holly and Ham to Lake Winachobee where Ham is recruited into the inner sanctum. The Elect plot an assassination attempt against the president, using Ham and a Barretts 50 cal s ...more
Ellen Moore
I like this series by Woods with the female police chief. There is plenty of action and romance, and the characters are well developed and interesting. Daisy the dog also adds interest as does Holly's father Ham.
This series is reminding me of the Evanovich/Coban/Grafton series; I figured since there are only 3 of them, and since I enjoyed the first one well enough, that I'd read all these. Nice and quick books to read.
Princess Kristin
Not as good as some of Woods' other books, but it definitely kept my interest--as he always does. Usually there is a big twist at the end of his books, but with this one, not so much. Still worth the read if you are a Stuart Woods fan. Quick and light.
Robert Hill
This is a better than average thriller. The plot contains an interesting conspiracy story that sounds plausible to me. I am not a great admirer of Woods' prose but it is passable and is above average entertainment.
mitchell thomas
good read

a good read, sidney sheldon. harold robbins? he makes me think of some great stories, thank you mister woods we need more
Greer Andjanetta
An easily readable and entertaining (as always) book from SW. The 2nd in the Holly Barker character series with more adventures in the Florida town where she is sherrif.
Dan Donovan

Trite excuse for a thriller. I thought the author was better than this but obviously not. Banal as a poor movie of the week.
This is book two of the series whose main character is Holly Barker, chief of police in Orchid Beach, Florida. The story starts off with a bang (literally) and kept my interest throughout. I really like Stuart Woods style of writing.
Katharine Ott
"Orchid Blues" - written by Stuart Woods and published in 2001 by Putnam Adult. A very good thriller, and a quick read.
Scary group out to overthrow the govt. infiltrated by Holly's father. Danger, sadness, and sheer bravado prevail.
Police and FBI team to solve a bank robbery connected to anarchists near Vero Beach, FL, pub.2001
I enjoyed this book. There were a few curse words that I could have done without, but overall a good read.
Susan Cobb
I love this series with Chief of Police Holly Barker. The story line keeps you guessing till the end.
Diane Wallace
thought i'd only like Stone's story...but now Holly's mystery is awesome!!!
  • Black Ice (Detective Jill Jackson, #3)
  • The Early Spenser (Spenser, #1-3)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Last Breath (Last #3)
  • Clandestine
  • Deadly Assets (Badge of Honor, #12)
  • Shooting Stars and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 3)
  • Proof Positive (Amanda Jaffe, #3)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #7)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • The Carousel
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Holly Barker (6 books)
  • Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1)
  • Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Iron Orchid (Holly Barker, #5)
  • Hothouse Orchid (Holly Barker, #6)