Start by marking “I Heart You, You Haunt Me” as Want to Read:

Girl meets boy.
Girl loses boy.
Girl gets boy back...

..sort of.

Ava can't see him or touch him,
unless she's dreaming.
She can't hear his voice,
except for the faint whispers in her mind.
Most would think she's crazy, but she knows he's here.

Jackson.
The boy Ava thought she'd spend the rest of her life with.
He's back from the dead,
as proof that love truly knows no bound
Published January 8th 2008 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about I Heart You, You Haunt Me, please sign up.

Sky well it is pretty adutish, I'm 13 and I'm reading it with no problem. It is really sad, I mean really SAD!! I cried for a day, my friend couldn't go…morewell it is pretty adutish, I'm 13 and I'm reading it with no problem. It is really sad, I mean really SAD!! I cried for a day, my friend couldn't go to school because She couldn't talk through the tears. If you've ever lost someone you love you really sympathize. I'd say it depends on how much you've been exposed to. I'm fine. (less)
Kira K It's a book about a girl that is haunted by her boyfriend, I bet you'd like it
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyTote Mädchen lügen nicht by Jay AsherLooking for Alaska by John GreenSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Best Teen Books About Real Problems
89th out of 2,250 books — 11,645 voters
Shiver by Maggie StiefvaterHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareEvermore by Alyson Noel
YA Novels by Goodreads Authors
29th out of 1,558 books — 2,897 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara ♥
August 22, 2012

Again, it was SAD, but it was a lovely story about how a teenage girl might deal with the grief of losing someone she loved. :)

March 3, 2009

4.5 stars. It was REALLY good. I'm glad I bought it!

It was a lovely (SAD) story about a girl, Ava, whose boyfriend, Jackson, has died, and how she deals with her grief and guilt over his death. Plus, the entire book is written in verse, which I loved. It was just a really nice, sweet story that ended on a positive, hopeful note.

I asked my husb

Something behind me.
Something familiar.
Hauntingly familiar.
I glance behind me,
but I don't see anything.
Or anyone.
And then,
when I look in the mirror again,
I see,
for a split second,
not just me,
but someone else.
Jackson."

can I just say that i adore the cover. it's more lovely in person. it has this soft, velvety feel to it that i just so love <3

i read this over a year ago but, I'm going to go off what i remember. Maybe I'll re-write this when i get back home and giv
Zulema
May 29, 2008 Zulema rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books that I have ever read. I absolutely love this book. I am the kind of person that enjoys reading about love & friendships. If you like those kind of books, then you should read this book in particular. This book is about a girl named Ava. She is 15 years old and her boyfriend has just died. She keeps blaming herself that she is the one that killed him when it really wasn't her fault. Eventhough her boyfriend is dead, he comes back. Well, sort of. He comes back sp ...more
Tatiana
Oct 04, 2010 Tatiana rated it it was ok
Recommended to Tatiana by: YA book club pick
Shelves: ya, verse, 2010
Call me naive, but I have always thought that writers choose verse over prose for their works to create something aesthetically pleasing, meaningful, evocative, highly emotional - all that with a bare minimum of words.

Apparently, these days novels in verse are written to appeal to reluctant readers who have no patience to read books with descriptions, character development and rich story lines. Or rhymes.

They
ways.

Well, I am
Kristi
Oct 26, 2008 Kristi rated it really liked it
I finally got my hands on a copy of this book! I’ve heard so many good things about it, I couldn’t wait to read it for myself. I was a little worried about how it would work out telling a story in verse, but I loved it! Even without using a lot of words you were still able to feel the intense emotions Ave was having.

If you haven’t heard what this story is about yet, I’ll give you a brief overview. The story starts as Jackson’s funeral. Jackson was is Ava’s boyfriend. Throughout the story Ava is
Apr 14, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: verse
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder is a story filled with love, grief, and guilt. Once again, Lisa Schroeder broke my heart into pieces. But this book actually broke my heart with a bit of disappointment as well.

I was not going to review this book, but Lisa Schroeder deserves much better than a blank page with three stars. The issue is mine. It happens, much like in real life, we can’t like and connect with everyone or every character. Hell, the world would be a boring place if we did!
Aria Stuck in Wonderland
Do you believe in ghosts?
What if the person you love the most dies?
Of course you’d feel devastated, distraught and depressed.
But what if he comes back?
Would you be happy that he kept his promise to be with you forever, even as a ghost?

Ava’s boyfriend Jackson died because of a dare and she blames herself for it.
Driven by guilt she shuts everyone out of her life.
She thought she lost him forever.
But then Jackson came back.
When she looked at the mirror, the saw a glimpse of Jackson behind her and sh
Heather
Oct 04, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2010
According to traditional belief, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person, thought to be capable of appearing in visible form or otherwise manifesting itself to the living. Ava is of the living. At the age of 15, she has loved and lost the love of her life, Jackson Montgomery and therefore must find her place in this world without him, sort of.

Jackson is of the dead, but some unknown force tethers him to Ava. Like Ava, he isn’t ready to say goodbye, yet. As Ava struggles to meander thr
Michael
Jun 06, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
It took me about forty-five minutes to read this book. That's the fastest I've ever read anything.

This novel follows a teenager named Ava, a girl mourning the death of her boyfriend, Jackson. About thirty pages in, we find out that Jackson can (somehow) communicate with Ava, by opening/closing cupboards, turning on the CD player, lighting candles, writing on bouncy balls (?), etc. But, of course, he can't materialize himself to where Ava can see him.

And that's basically what goes on throughout t
Janie
Aug 01, 2008 Janie rated it it was ok
This book was ok, it was a fast read & story line not that incredible. A one time read.
Mayra
Apr 05, 2015 Mayra rated it it was ok
Shelves: what-a-letdown
This just seems like a fifteen-year-old girl's journal. It's not special. It has nothing new.
I honestly thought her idea about writing a book, which is usually in prose, using verses was amazing! I thought it was going to be tricky to write a whole story like that. But really, it seemed like she wrote that in a day.
It's just phrases clipped at some point and joined together in what I think are supposed to be stanzas. What's the amazing idea in that?
There is simple writing, but this is just too
Fiona
THAT'S IT??! THAT'S EFFIN' IT????!!!!

What a crappy book.
So I just wasted my time & effort reading this.

Okay. Still, it was a toleratably sweet story, but there was nothing really special. Also, it wasn't sentimental as I thought it would be. Plus, near the end, it feels like something REALLY BIG will happen, but nothing did. It's just the climax, then end. Just like that. No falling action, what so ever.

It was scathingly dry and it didn't really grab my attention. 1 star rating because most
Yona
description

I just can't have words to describe this book. I've never thought verses can have such a power in expressing all this feelings with so little words.

The love in this book is one great love, the love in which the happiness of you beloved means everything it is more powerful than life or death.

Jackson and Ava loved each other so strongly, they were like two soul mates, happy when trey are together until one day all of this just ends. But Jackson returns, his love for Ava is so strong, he wants her
Kat
Aug 27, 2009 Kat rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fiction, poetry
A "verse novel", meaning that the author took some bad unoriginal prose and arranged it in choppy verse format to make it look like poetry. I am usually generous with my stars since I try to read YA stuff with teen interests in mind as well as my own, and this would indeed be a half-decent "quick pick" for teen girls, but personally I thought it was pretty awful. It does read quick, though...I read this during my lunch break with time leftover to eat a sandwich, which is good because I wouldn't ...more
Madeleine
Nov 07, 2010 Madeleine rated it it was ok
While i wasn't expecting to be blown away by this book, i definately wasn't very swayed. I knew picking it up that it would maybe kill an hour or two and that's really all it did. There were some cute moments but mostly i was confused, bored, or quite frankly, annoyed. i was never a fan of the main character and even jackson got irratating by the fact that he is SO FREAKING PERSISTANT. This is another book that treats teen years like the be-all and end-all, that their budding love excuses him no ...more
Annalisa
I've always wondered if I would like a novel in verse or if the poetry would be distracting to the story. I still don't know the answer to that. While Schroeder wrote this novel in verse, it doesn't read that way. There is no rhythm to the lines (I'm not talking about rhyming but iambic pentameter or something to make it read like poetry). It just reads like sentences cut in the middle and about halfway through I got tired of pausing so many times in a sentence when there is no reason for the pa ...more
Kristina Čechová
Jedinečný styl psaní Lisy mě několikrát během čtení rozplakal. Hlavní hrdinkou je Ava a její zesnulý přítel Jackson, který se - jak je vidno už z coveru knihy - objevuje po boku své přítelkyně jako duch. Zprvu je Ava šťastná, že ji její Jackson neopustil ani po smrti, ale jak dlouho se tohle dá snášet? Jak dlouho se dá snášet vídat a dotýkat se svého přítele jen ve snech, jak dlouho se dá vydržet poslouchat jeho hlas jen ve své mysli? Jak dlouho tohle ŽIVÝ člověk dokáže snášet, když sám postupem ...more
Arlene
I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder is a quick read written in verse that packs a powerful punch with just a few words. The story is about love, loss, grief and recovery. I never thought such a complete story could be developed with so little writing. The book contains all the right elements of a great read including a dramatic plot, vivid setting and well developed characters that carry you through the story seemingly quickly and dramatically.

The book is about a girl named Ava that lose
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Nov 21, 2015 Brianna (The Book Vixen) rated it really liked it
Ava is grieving the loss of her boyfriend, Jackson, who died in a freak accident. She is carrying around a huge weight of guilt on her shoulders. She feels completely responsible for his death and cannot move on. She doesn’t eat, doesn’t sleep, and doesn’t function in normal everyday rituals. Her family and friends are worried about her but she just can’t let go of Jackson. Everything she does, sees, hears reminds her of him. Then Ava sees Jackson’s ghost and starts to feel his presence on a day ...more
Karin
Feb 03, 2008 Karin rated it really liked it
Ava loves Jackson and Jackson loves Ava. Her life has improved greatly since she met him and they started dating. So when Jackson dies unexpectedly at a school party she is devastated. Even the simplest things like getting out of bed and eating seem beyond her abilities. Her feeling of guilt over his death weigh heavily on her and prevent her from beginning the healing process.

During one of her darkest moments she feels a brush of coldness against her skin. Hope fills her up as she thinks it co
Doug Beatty
Apr 23, 2009 Doug Beatty rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
This was a horrible novel, written in verse about Ava Bender and her boyfriend Jackson. Apparently, when going out to a secluded teen hotspot, Ava dared Jackson to jump into a pool from a ledge and he ended up hitting his head on a rock and drowning. The ghost of Jackson begins to haunt Ava by turning on the CD player at random times, showing up in the mirror, haunting her dreams and sometimes slamming cupboard doors. Ava cannot tell anybody about this and feels guilty and starts spending her ti ...more
Brooke
Not a great deal to say about this one. It wasn't at all what I expected, the story or the feel, and I'm assuming that has a lot to do with the fact that it was written in verse.

The characters were very simple, and there wasn't really any complexity to the plot. It was a quick read, but I didn't really feel anything major about it. Towards the end my heart strings were tugged a little, but it was really too little too late.

That being said, it was a cute read, and there were some strong emotions
Amelia. . .♥
Apr 03, 2009 Amelia. . .♥ rated it it was amazing
0MG!!! This is the best romantic book EVER! It's so sweet, and so sad, and so wonderful! You HAVE to read it!!!
Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts)
Jun 22, 2012 Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Joy, not sorrow.
Laughter not tears.
Life, not death.
Love, not blame.

Ava can’t see him or touch him, unless she’s dreaming. She can’t hear his voice, except for the faint whispers in her mind. Most would think she’s crazy, but she knows he’s here.
Jackson. The boy Ava thought she’d spend the rest of her life with. He’s back from the dead, as proof that love truly knows no bounds.

From Amazon Book Summary

---

This is not my first verse novel and I could say with the first verse novels I've read, I be
Katie - The Literary Files
Jan 02, 2012 Katie - The Literary Files rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
The first thing I noticed about I Heart You, You Haunt Me was the amazing cover. I love the simplicity of a boy and girl holding hands, yet when you look closer you notice that the boy is slightly transparent. Also the tagline... Some bonds just can't be broken definitely peaked my interest.

Lisa's writing was amazing. It was raw and emotional which made it easy for me to place myself into Ava's shoes and feel her pain from loosing Jackson. Anyone who has grieved sometime in their life will be ab
RainbowGirl RainbowGirl
Such a sweet and heartfelt story,,

description

Review 11/06/2011

The Plot - It's a sad one. Ava is a teenager, only fifteen years old. She falls in love with Jackson, a boy that is her total opposite. He is, in one word, alive and she feels more alive when she is with him. He makes her do things that she never would have the courage to do otherwise. He dares her and that is their little 'thing', their especial 'thing'. But now Ava is alone and sad and feeling terribly guilty.

The Characters - We learn a little
Greta is Erikasbuddy
May 31, 2011 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sunny-says
I loved the idea of this book. Boy meets girl, Girl looses boy, Boy comes back and then things get all "Sixth Sense" like... meaning... it gets mondo cold.

Ava is in love with a ghost! Well, he wasn't a ghost when they first met. They were human teenagers that scarfed down McDoubles and french fries (i thought that maybe Jackson died of a heart attack. They don't ever tell you until the very end... and its nothing as exotic as say Death by Big Mac attack)

So, boos and hoos my boyfriend is dead. Oh
Misty
Apr 15, 2010 Misty rated it it was ok
meh...
will revisit

[later:]
still meh.
Review to come.

Review:
When Ava loses her boyfriend Jackson in a horrible accident, she feels like her world is going to end. She blames herself for his death, she shuts herself off from her friends and her life, and spends her time wishing she had Jackson back. And then, suddenly she does. Whenever she's alone, Jackson comes to her. He haunts her, speaking to her in her mind, touching her with cold ghostly caresses. Ava is so happy to have him back, but she kn
Becky
Aug 14, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Schroeder, Lisa. 2008. I Heart You, You Haunt Me.

Ava's boyfriend Jackson Montgomery has tragically died when the novel, I Heart You, You Haunt Me, opens. Our first glimpse of Ava is at his funeral. We see her grieving; we see her distraught. We feel the rawness and vulnerability of her aloneness, her grief.

The novel is written in verse. And it spans the summer--he died at an end-of-school party in May--when she is most lost. What Ava realizes soon after Jackson's been buried is that he's never r
  • Kissing Annabel: Love, Ghosts, and Facial Hair; A Place Like This
  • Exposed
  • Walking on Glass
  • Because I Am Furniture
  • Love You Hate You Miss You
  • Shakespeare Makes the Playoffs (Shakespeare Bats Cleanup, #2)
  • One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies
  • The Trial
  • Everything Is Fine.
  • The Secret Year
  • Uninvited
  • Taken by Storm (Taken by Storm, #1)
  • Wherever You Go
  • Pure
Lisa Schroeder is the author of more than a dozen books for kids and teens. Her latest young adult novel is ALL WE HAVE IS NOW, and the latest novel for 8-12 year olds is THE GIRL IN THE TOWER. She lives in Oregon where she spends her time reading, writing, baking yummy treats, and hiking with her family.

twitter: www.twitter.com/lisa_schroeder
facebook: www.facebook.com/lisaschroederbooks
tumblr: ww
More about Lisa Schroeder...

“When you meet someone so different from yourself, in a good way, you don't even have to kiss to have fireworks go off. It's like fireworks in your heart all the time. I always wondered, do opposites really attract? Now I know for sure they do. I'd grown up going to the library as often as most people go to the grocery store. Jackson didn't need to read about exciting people or places. He went out and found them, or created excitement himself if there wasn't any to be found. The things I like are pretty simple. Burning CDs around themes, like Songs to Get You Groove On and Tunes to Fix a Broken Heart; watching movies; baking cookies; and swimming. It's like I was a salad with a light vinaigrette, and Jackson was a platter of seafood Cajun pasta. Alone, we were good. Together, we were fantastic.” 229 likes
“Come with me,' Mom says.
To the library.