Start by marking “Candles on Bay Street” as Want to Read:
Candles on Bay Street

Candles on Bay Street

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The author of "Dancing at the Harvest Moon" returns to her roots in Maine with this atmospheric, heart wrenching story of love and loss. When the town flirt returns to her home town to start a candlemaking business, the local veterinarian wonders why she looks so pale and what secret she's keeping from everyone who holds her dear. 15 line drawings.
Published April 20th 1999 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Candles on Bay Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Candles on Bay Street

Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Quando peguei nesse livro para ler, a minha intenção era a de lê-lo e depois libertá-lo para uma possível troca ou venda. No entanto, não sou capaz de o tirar para sempre da minha estante...

Uma história que começa no presente/passado e sem nunca se perder as raízes.. Uma história passada em Fort Kent, uma cidadezinha repleta de gente de moral, de gente boa e de gente com um passado histórico...

Sam, um veterinário dessa cidade, casado com Lydia, também veterinária e amante das cidades do interior
Jonna
Probably one of the most depressing books I have ever read. Pass it by, folks; pass it by.
Jenny
An absolutely wonderful story set in Fort Kent, Maine around 1997. It is about friendship and living and dying. Very well written. It is also beautifully illustrated by John Hafford.

The story is about best friends Sam and Dee Dee, who have been friends since they were toddlers. Sam was in love with Dee Dee, but she fled off with another man the night they graduated from high school in 1982. He went off to college and met and married his wife.

Dee Dee comes back to town after 15 years with her y
Donna
I heard of this story originally when Hallmark made a movie of it (which i only got to see the first half hour of) - and then discovered the book was out of print. When I ran across a copy at a used book sale I nabbed it and it sat on my shelf for a while. A couple weeks ago my hubby and i had a long ride across country and I decided that he might enjoy this as a "read aloud" book. He enjoyed it so much that he finished it off himself (unusual for him)and left the rest for me to read on my own. ...more
Joyce
In the book Candles on Bay Street,the author KC McKinnon tells a story of small town veterinarian Sam Thibodeau'ss first love coming back to live where they had grown up together. DeeDee Michaud brings with her a 9 year old son and has come back to find him a home knowing she is dying of cancer. Sam still holds a torch for DeeDee even though he is happily married to another veterinarian. Surprisingly, his wife Lydia and DeeDee become friends and Lydia supports Sam in agreeing in advance to adopt ...more
Mich
Didn't read about the book beforehand- just started to read and the first chapter sucked me in. Makes you think about friends and life. Would compare to a Mitch Albom book

Watching movie. Oh my. Just as good as book!! Watch it with kleenex
Weaverannie
Een intriest verhaal over een ooit populaire high school leerlinge, die, ondanks alle waarschuwingen wegliep met een jongen, die net een iets mooiere auto had dat de anderen, die bovendien in drugs dealde en onbetrouwbaar was.
Haar buurjongen Sam vertelt het verhaal. Hij was verliefd op Dee Dee. Zij woonde naast hem, maar toen hij, na hun eindexamen, wilde vragen, of ze zijn vriendin wilde zijn, liep ze weg.
Nu is hij dierenarts in zijn geboorteplaats, samen met zijn vrouw Lydia.
Dee Dee keert teru
Bobbi
A very moving book about love and friendship and helping people move on. It was set in a small, New England town, that felt very familiar to me. Wonderfully drawn characters that I wished were real and scenes that made me laugh and others that made me cry. It was a quick read....I read the entire book this afternoon. Great way to spend a snowy, cold Sunday.
Cindy S
A poignant story of unrequited first love, returning home and friendship thru the eyes of Sam, the lo ical vet. Dee Dee, his first love, returns to town after 15 years with a young son in tow and a secret reason for returning to her roots. The different facets of love are explored in a heartwarming, bittersweet story.
Jigar Doshi
A wonderful story of romance, love, life and melancholy. The writing is wonderful often making you laugh and sometimes leaving you teary-eyed. You identify with the characters easily and get engrossed in the story very quickly. A nice melancholic read. (I know it sounds like an oxymoron.)
Karen
Short, light and fluffy. Very likable setting and characters in a compelling storyline about a woman who is dying of cancer and returns to the town she grew up in and re-connects with her childhood friend who was always in love with her. Heavily laden with candles, angels and all American sappiness I still wanted to finish the book and found myself getting choked up at the end. Of course, the northern Maine setting made it feel right to me.I found it interesting that the author actually grew up ...more
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

2-1/2 stars. Tragic story with almost everyone doing the absolutely right thing. I know it wouldn't have been so "feel good" but if there would have been a little bit of left turns instead of always "right" to me it would have been a better book.
Krista
This was an AMAZING book. After living in the small town where this book takes place I couldn't help but read it from cover to cover in one setting. This book describes the town exactly as I remember. The author captures the beauty of the town and the attitude of the people. I feel like this book was more that just a piece of literature. I fell in love with Fort Kent when I lived there, missed it when I left, and fell in love with it all over again when I read Candles on Bay Street. I recommend ...more
Caren Nicholas
This was a mostly pleasant read. Predictable, but likable characters.
Jodi
This book was totally not what I was expecting. I found this title on a website in a list of books recommended for people who enjoy novels by Nicholas Sparks. And after reading the summary, I thought it sounded like a cute little love story similar to novels by Nicholas Sparks. I really enjoyed the first half of the book, but the second half just got so sad and depressing. It ended up not just being a little love story, but a much much sadder story. (I won't spoil it for those of you who might w ...more
Melissa
Tear jerker about a woman who owns a candle shop.
Jordin
This book took me so long to read and the writing style was so boring. It read like a Hallmark movie, and then I found out that it IS a Hallmark movie! Boy, oh boy.
Christine
I found this book very predictable. I wouldn't recommend it.
Vicki Mollenauer
A beautiful story beautifully written. First loves never are forgotten, and this is a beautiful story of true first love carried all the way through while Sam also shows how one can retain that first love while also being truly happy in the kind of love that comes in a marriage to someone else. There are so many kinds of love in this world, and this book exemplifies them exquisitely. Reminded me of Richard Paul Evans style of writing.
Amy
This book is NOT a light and fluffy read... This is one of the saddest books I've ever read and to me that means its HEAVY reading.. I cried my eyes out a few times.

The story is a beautiful story though and worth all the tears.. So bittersweet. I really enjoyed learning a little about candle making and the message that Dee Dee teaches her son about candles and angels is inspiring :)
Dundee Library
Fans of the bittersweet ending will like K. C. McKinnon's Candles on Bay Street. McKinnon gives plenty of notice that the ending will be a tearjerker, but she makes it one the reader will look forward to, with welcoming characters, a homey setting and a sweet heartwarming story about childhood friends who come together to help each other through a distressing illness.
Kathy C.
Jan 13, 2008 Kathy C. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gail
When Dee Dee returns to her hometown of Fort Kent with her son, she becomes friends again with her old flame as well as his wife. She teaches candlemaking in her home to her new friends. Life is looking hopeful agian for DeeDee until she is diagnosed with a serious illness. This book was made into a Hallmark Hall Of Fame movie.
Michelle
I figured out early in the book what was going to happen (I don't think it was meant to be a big surprise) and yet it still caused an emotional response in me when I got to the end. The way it is written made me feel like I there with the characters and not just being told how it happened.
Dec 08, 2008 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jedem, der eine gute geschichte zu schaetzen weiss
Recommended to Christine by: Seit "Harvest Moon" halte ich Ausschau nach weiteren McKinnon Ro
Zauberhaftes Buch der "Harvest Moon"-Autorin, diesmal spielt die Handlung im Norden Maines in Fort Kent an der Kanadischen Grenze.
Ein verheirateter Tierarzt geraet aus dem Gleichgewicht als seine fruehere Freundin aus Highschool-Zeiten zueueck nach Hause kommt...
Nightswimming
i read this sappy poorly written tearjerker because i found it in a bin of discarded books. i wonder why ;-)
I just discovered they made a Lifetime tv movie out of this with poor Alicia Silverstone as the freewheeling single mother. Erm.
Nov 14, 2008 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody who enjoyed reading "Harvest Moon"
Recommended to Christine by: after having read "Harvest Moon", I was anxious to read more fro
This story takes place in Fort Kent in Maine at the border to Canada. Very touching, but rewarding.
I wish K. C. McKinnon aka Cathy Pelletier would have written more novels like "Harvest Moon" and "Candles"!
Kristin
I am giving this 4 stars because it has been over a decade since I have read it, but the story has stuck with me over time. I think it would be interesting to re-read 13 some years later.
Mavis
This is a book about courage, a mother's love, making a new start ,finding old & new friends.

An uplifting story, moving & even sad at times, an easy enjoyable read.
Ratforce
The emotion and nostalgia of this book, combined with a heartwarming storyline and details about small-time life, might appeal to you.
The Lau Azure Door
This book comes from my college roomates. They gave it to me before leaving for France. Nice winter atmospheres and friendship.
  • The Gazebo
  • Christmas, Present
  • Frozen Stiff (Claire Watkins, #8)
  • The Lighthouse Keeper
  • The Third Duke's The Charm (Ladies in Waiting, #3)
  • Children of Salem
  • Luisito: Una storia d'amore
  • Cuentos
  • A Montanha da Água Lilás
  • Beach Dreams (The Beach House #3)
  • A Little Bit Country