Start by marking “A Stranger in the Family” as Want to Read:
A Stranger in the Family

A Stranger in the Family (Bardville, Wyoming #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  631 ratings  ·  64 reviews
For many years, Bodie Smith hadn’t known he had a son. So young Pete had grown up on the Weston Ranch with another family, and Bodie was a stranger to him. When Bodie came to Montana to learn about Pete, he also discovered his son’s adopted sister, Cambria—so beautiful and spirited—and so distrustful of Bodie.
Published April 1st 1995 by Harlequin Books (Mm)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stranger in the Family

Tina
Okay, I've just gotta say… that cover is bad. I had seen this book a couple times on Amazon, but each time, I just said 'no way' because of the cover. I wasn't familiar with the author, and the book was free, so I assumed the story would be equally as bad as the cover… or worse. I was way off base!

I'm not exactly sure why I did get it though, or why—out of so many TBR's—I chose to read it now instead of putting it off. But I am so glad I read this book. It literally blew me away. This novel took
Anne OK
Book One in McLinn's "Bardville, Wyoming Trilogy" and a wonderful debut to what I'm counting on to be a positive reading experience. When a man suddenly finds out he's the father of a sixteen-year old boy, it's a shocker. As a young man of 18, Bodie Smith broke up with his girlfriend, joined the military and left town. The girlfriend didn't bother telling him she was pregnant, nor later advise him that he was a father. She put the baby up for adoption, never mentioned him again, and life went on ...more
Victor
This was a hard read for me. Some might like that drama and angst of a father seeking his son "undercover". I tend to dislike any interference between a family who has raised a child as their own only to have to face a biological parent who wants to reunite (regardless of wether or not he knew he fathered a child in the past).

Aside from this the book drags on with this hidden premise far too long and thus the love story falters and lacks the emotional satisfied ending. The characters lack feeli
Goddess Of Blah
The plot is really good and the male protagonist is an interesting character, however, I did get bored so only read a few chapters.
description

The problem was that the story (for me) wasn't well paced, it deviates from the plot and the heroine was really annoying.

The Heroine is a 30-ish, former Washing DC dwelling, hospitality trained singleton. However, she resembles an angst-y teen and despite her hospitality experience doesn't seem to be able to use any of those skills when dealing with the hero (a house
Cathleen
"A Stranger In The Family" by Patricia McLinn is a not a bad read it just didn't involve my attention enough.

The story is about a man, Brodie Dorsey" who discovers he has a son. He has a friend of his do some investigating to find out where he is and who adopted him.

With the information he gets from his friend, he travels to Wyoming and stays at the Guest Ranch where his son and his adoptive family live, own and operate. He meets Cambria, the younger sister of Ted, the adoptive father. In all t
Diane Bleyer
Boring

Boring

I hate to be critical, but this book dragged. I finally started skipping whole sections--something I rarely do. the premise
Terric853
Boone Smith (also known as Bodie) finds out that he and his high school girlfriend had a son 16 years ago, so he hires a friend to find the boy so he can see for himself whether the boy is happy and well-cared-for. His son, Pete Weston, lives with his adoptive parents and sister on a working ranch in Wyoming that doubles as a bed-and-breakfast in the summer. Boone rents a cabin at the B&B for a month to get to know his son. Pete's older (adoptive) sister, Cambria, was badly hurt by her ex-fi ...more
Jo-Anne
A Stranger In The Family starts out with Bodie Smith finding out that many years earlier he had fathered a child. This news came to him accidentally when he ran into an old high school acquaintance who let it slip that Bodie's girlfriend at the time had given birth. After Bodie had a friend locate his son, he became friendly with the family without telling them who he was. Now that Bodie was a wealthy business man he planned on taking his son and giving him everything he didn't have as a child. ...more
Jean
The two main characters, Bodie Smith and Cambria Weston, have a on/off romance throughout the book. Bodie comes to the Weston Ranch to meet and acknowledge his son after just finding out about him. Cambria doesn't trust him and her instincts tell her he is hiding something. A true romance and easy read.
Jacqueline
3-1/2 stars. A nice story of a man who finds out he has a son 16 years after his high school sweetheart gave him up for adoption. When he goes to find out if the son is doing okay, he falls in love with his son's adopted sister. Well written and well plotted.
Tonileg
This was painfully realistic for me. I usually like my guilty pleasure reading (romance novels) as exactly that, i.e. fantasy. I get enough grief, sorrow and sacrifice in my everyday life that I don't need to add to it. This was a story about redemption and love.
Cindy
I am halfway through and it is getting boring. I would like to read the ending so will continue. Finally, succeeded in finishing it and deleted off Kindle right away.
Barbara
Boone Dorsey Smith just found out he's a father...to a 16 yr. old son. Boone, being Boone, wants to see his son, Pete, and wants to make up for not being there for him. He does realize he needs to tread lightly. But that is a difficult task for Boone. And then his son has a smoking-hot older sister, Cambria. Boone has always been a take-charge kind of guy and it is taking all his will power to not take over and be the boss. He realizes Pete has had a good life so he cannot swoop in and rescue hi ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
A stranger in the family is about Bodie Smith he finds out by accident that he fathered a child many years ago when he run,s into an old high school acquaintance who let,s it slip that Bodie's girlfriend at the time had a baby. Bodie has a friend locate his son and he becomes friendly with the family who adopted his son without telling them who he is. Bodie is a wealthy business man now he plans to take his son and give him everything he never had as a child. But Bodie didn't expect to fall for ...more
Ddkmc95
Agree with several reviewers, book was ok but did not grab my attention. Took forever to complete.
Lorie Varner
I really enjoyed this book. I got it as a freebie. It was what I called a vanilla book because there wasn't hardcore sec scenes. It does not have a cliffhanger but does continue with books 2 and 3. While I would like to read more to see where the story goes, I don't want to pay 4.99 for the next book. I'd. still recommend this book.
Marcy Collins
I am happy to say that I enjoyed this first book in this trilogy. The setting was in Wyoming and centers on a hardworking family who operates a B & B, that opens their home to a visitor from North Carolina, who has an underlying reason for being with them. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this trilogy.
S. E Nelson
Overall this was a good story. I liked Bodie but I still don't know what he saw in Cambria. There was nothing appearing about her personality. She was my least favorite off all the characters in the story. Can Bodie redeem her? This does not affect my review but it makes me wonder if I missed something.
Dorel
This is the 1st book I read by Patricia McLinn. This book started off good as it continued it became very slow & boring. If this book wasn't so slow moving, if there was more of a romantic feel between the characters I think I could have got more interested in this one.
Michelle
Wonderful

This is a wonderful book. Right from the beginning, the characters draw you in and wind you around their fingers. The writing is smooth, flawless, and there is absolutely no grammatical or editing errors. I do recommend this book.
Judy
Great book

This is one of the best books that I have read in a while. It has everything to keep you interested with a great plot and great characters. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a good story.
Diana
Good story, loved the hero, but really had trouble liking the heroine. Took till the end of the book to see her as the hero does. She treats her parents like they're idiots and spent more time being mean to the hero.
Joan
I enjoyed A Stranger in the Family. It is a well-written story-line with believable and likable characters. I read so many mysteries that it is a nice change when I find a good romance to read.
Stanjay Daniels
A short story about a successful business man seeking to find his son who was put up for adoption. He then finds him with his new family and falls in love with his son's adoptive sister. He then becomes very close with the entire family. Not a terrible read, but it had its slow parts. 3 stars!
Anna
This was a really sweet read. I actually liked the hero's journey even more than the heroine's --- I don't want to ruin the plot with any specifics, but his internal dilemmas felt very real.
Saicel
Apr 04, 2014 Saicel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 17+
Boone Dorsey Smith a.ka. Bodie Smith has just found out he had a son 17 years earlier. He sets out to find his son, only the son has been adopted & is living in Wyoming. Pete Weston has an older sister Cambria who has her heartbreak of mistrust. So when Boone appears suspicion as to what this guy wants. A good interested read.
Linda
Great book

Loved how the story progressed. The characters were well written and fleshed out. Really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading more from this author.
NV
Good storyline

Good storyline and good characters
looking forward to more in the series
I enjoyed this author this is the first book I have read by Patricia McLinn
Leslie B H Antley
Don't be a stranger . . .

to this book. Good story. Well written. Easy read. Not too much sex but interesting enough psychologically to keep your interest.
Syvannah Tewes
I loved every word of this sweet story. The characters were real, the story wasn't terribly overused in modern fiction, and the romance was hot and spicy- just the way I like it!
  • Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538)
  • Safe Harbor
  • Finding Grace
  • Homefires
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • A Deeper Dimension
  • Seeing Stars
  • Someone to Believe In (O'Neil Family, #1)
  • If We Dare to Dream (Evans Family, #1)
  • Cool Shade
  • Bridleton
  • Tame A Wild Heart (Wild, #1)
  • Bootscootin' Blahniks (The Bootscootin' Books #1)
  • The Way They Were (That Second Chance, #2)
  • Accidentally Yours
  • Romancing Lady Stone (School of Gallantry, # 6)
  • Colby's Child
  • Fireblossom

Bardville, Wyoming (3 books)
  • A Stranger to Love
  • The Rancher Meets His Match
Almost a Bride (Wyoming Wildflowers, #1) Lost and Found Groom (A Place Called Home, #1) Wyoming Wildflowers: The Beginning (Wyoming Wildflowers, #0.5) Prelude to a Wedding (Wedding, #1) My Heart Remembers (Wyoming Wildflowers, #3)

“thousand details aligned in his head—things he’d see to, people he’d call, decisions he’d make—to” 0 likes
“Smith’s eyes traced” 0 likes