Start by marking “Sleepless (Bird of Stone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sleepless (Bird of Stone, #1)
Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Sleepless (Bird of Stone #1)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  96 reviews
My name is Alex Mills and I have a superpower.

Don't be jealous, it sucks. I can't control it. My mind is a mutinous SOB that takes over when I go to sleep. I'm just a girl trying to get some shut eye while it decides to throw a rager that can land me just about anywhere in the world.

The base of the Eiffel Tower.
The shore on the coast of Ireland.
The third baseline at Wrigle
Published August 13th 2013 (first published August 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sleepless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleepless

Jacquie Bolton

Sleepless
(Bird of Stone #1)
Tracey
Ward
4.0/5.0

Alex has a superpower, but not the kind you'd be excited to have. She
can't control hers and it lands her all over the world
unpredicatably. She falls asleep in her bedroom wakes up in Paris,
Ireland, Wrigley Field, or whatever other desitantion her power
chooses at the moment. However, it's not all bad. Her power is how
she meets Nick.

Nick has a power too. He can't feel fear. It's great for his military
career... sucks for his social skills.

Their relati
Sandra

Pe... pe...pero ¿Y ESE FINAL?

Oh Dios mío, necesito el segundo yaaaaaaa.

Esperaba que este libro me gustase, pero ¿tanto? Para nada. Los personajes me han encantado, tanto Alex como Nick. Y la pareja que hacen Diossssssssssssss. Lo mejor de todo que su amor no es instantáneo, ni se dicen te quiero a los dos días de conocerse o tienen "sentimientos que no sé explicar" o cosas así. Sino que la relación se da en un año. UN AÑO. LENTAMENTE. POR FAVOR, SÍ.

Y Nick, juro que este hombre es aslkfhadihgi
Lorelle
I would love to be able to write with this tone. So restrained but so intense at the same time. Have to admire an author who can make me actually enjoy the romance over the paranormal...
Emmy
**3.5**

I came across this as a kindle freebie and was like 'what the hell, why not? And what a pleasant surprise. The plot felt fresh and original and I enjoyed it for the most part.

I laughed, I cried - and I mean actual tears ran down my face. Let me repeat, tears ran down my face! My contacts almost fell out. This. never. happens. to me. Sure my eyes may water up sometimes, but it is rare that the tears actually fall!

The banter between many of the characters was witty and felt genuine. And it
Mandiann
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is full of romance, surprise and mystery.

I have to admit that I was a bit confused at first about slipping. By the end of the book I felt I understood it much better.

I loved the cast of characters and the romance between Nick and Alex.

I wish the book contained more mundane details about Alex's life. I loved the fact that we got a nice glimpse into Nick's life and felt that it was lacking with
Trisha
So, first thing - the covers. There are two of them.

I understand the first one - the dock and the moon - and I love what it means to the story. But the one of the girl and boy kissing - that one is gorgeous. It made me want to read it and understand. And I think it is just as perfect to the story.

And what a story it is. This book has some of the funniest and real dialogue I've ever read. It was witty and sarcastic and the "male perspective" was, I thought, very true.

At first, I was confused abo
Saoirse
I recieved this book from an author in exchange for honest review.

Frankly, I didn't know what to expect from R4R book. Would it be significantly worse than any other book I've read? I know, how stupid of me to think that. Although if you really want to know, I am stupid, in the social sphere. I maybe that's why am I able to connect with Nick so much. Back to the point though; after few pages I realised how naive I was, how dumb. This book was interesting from the very beginning due to straightf
Helena Pinder
I got given a free copy by the author to read and review. There are some spoilers but none that will fully ruin the book.
This book is full of tension, thrills and excitement. It was unputdownable! It has a fast pace and awesome, brilliantly developed characters. The plot line is so original and a real thrill ride. I like how the book Is told in alternate perspectives and the way the dream world ends abruptly, leaving you hanging. I really enjoyed Alex and Cara's relationship, they were great sis
Leylan
I just finished reading Sleepless by Tracey Ward and wished the second book was out already. I could not put it down. I love how the action flowed from a series of nightmares and Slipping episodes to full action with some form of military involved.
I digress. I was given this book by the author on goodreads for an honest review and if you can't tell, I really loved reading it. I believe that this book has equal parts to the main characters of Alex and Nick. The alternating chapters helps the rea
Gracey

Received a copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, so I decided to read and review this book because come on! The storyline/plot looks great and really original. I indeed like it and enjoyed it in most part.

I just love how real and fun their dialogues has been. Their banter were established in a natural and amusing way. Plus the aspect of the male point of view was just astonishing. I really thought that, 'yeah, guys talk/think like that.' XD

The ama
Ornella (Nyx)
4.5 Stars

Loooved it! :) Review to come.
Shelley
This book took me by surprise. I am not a big fan of supernatural or paranormal books. I have read and enjoyed a few, but they’re not generally my “go-to” genres. I wanted to give this book a try and I am so glad that I did! Well, as it turns out…I do like supernatural books!

This book was not an over-the-top supernatural book. Oh, the characters did possess a special kind of ability or power, but it was nothing that made me huff or roll my eyes. It is essentially a love story between two people
Katie O'Sullivan
In short, I loved this book. Ms. Ward took a fairly unique concept and blended it together with a little of this and a little of that to create a New Adult paranormal romance that kept me spellbound within its pages.

We meet each of the characters in quick succession, but spend most of the book with no idea of the root connection between them. When they start meeting up in the dreamscape, Nick doesn’t even believe Alex is real.

In terms of paranormal, there are no “creatures” – no vampires or ang
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Sleepless was such an incredibly enjoyable book! I was completely swept away by the romance between Alex and Nick and I thought that the concept for the story was really fresh and unique!

The story follows 20-year-old Alex. Alex has a problem. She "Slips" in her sleep. She often falls asleep, safe in her bed, and wakes up somewhere else - it could be anywhere. While she's learned coping mechanisms, Slipping is far fr
Dianne
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Chyna of Lite-Rate-Ture Book Tours and to Tracey Ward for the review copy. This in no way affected my views of the novel.

From the get-go, the unique premise and characters and the engaging writing grabbed me. I immediately felt that I was reading something great, probably a four-star read. We have our heroine Alex who ends up in places when she sleeps. Random forests or in Russia or anywhere. Then we have Nick, training to be a PJ in the Air
Carrie
Copy given for honest review.
Warning: Proceed with caution the following review contains traces of spoilers.

When I first opened up this book I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I knew we had this girl, Alex by the way. I knew she was going to be special. What I never knew was that when she closed her eyes to go to sleep that the chances of her waking up somewhere else other then her own bed was the norm for her.

Alex calls them slipping, she travels in her dreams. She has no c
Amanda Munes
********** Received an ARC in exchange for a HONEST review. *********

So when i started reading this book i was really confused. I had no clue what was going on and i thought about stopping. I however persevered because the thought of not finishing a book bugs the crap out of me. So i kept reading. Once i got the hang of what was going on i really started to enjoy it. I assumed this book would be similar to other love stories or romance books but it is not. We start with Alex in her room looking
Sara
A big thank you to Tracey Ward for giving me a copy of Sleepless to read for an honest review.

I found myself drawn into Sleepless from the beginning. From the first page of the prologue I was drawn in and needed to know where this was headed. The story was amusing, intriguing, mysterious, and sometimes laugh out loud funny.

Alex is a girl with an ability to travel in her sleep. She never knows where she will wake up and if her life will be at risk. Nick is the boy who lives without fear. And when
Toshi
The short version is this: the characters all have depth, their own voice, behave in believable ways and are funny in their own ways. The conversations are hilarious as are some of the author's descriptions of things. The relationship in the book is actually paced in a way that is believable, and nobody goes over the top crazy. The powers are very cool and have a lot of room for filling in, which seems like the plan for the next book.

It is part of a series, though I'm unsure if there will be jus
Heather
I was lucky enough to receive this book from goodreads for an honest review.

This is the second book by Tracy Ward I have read and she is not a fluke. Her ideas are fresh and new. The pacing just pulls you along, but doesn't rush the story line. Her characters are fully developed and clearly described. I loved this book and can't wait for the sequel.
Cassy Le
**I got this book for free in exange for an finest review**

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!
It has the whole package; romance, humour, cute witty comments, everything!
The story kept me on edge the whole way, it simply is really beautiful <3
The characters are really characters that you get to know and feel for them, and they are so thought through!
The concept is something like nothing else, and I really liked it. I really loved how their stories cross, and how their lives turn out from that point
Jess
WOW. This book. This was way better than I was expecting!!! I felt ALL THE FEELS so intensely. I already bout the second book because...cliffhanger!!! Wonderful magical book. Ahh.
Natalija Usk
3,5/5 stars

When I started to read this book it reminded me a lot of The Space in Between, by Jen Minkman. Why? It was a little bit boring, pages and pages of going nowhere..but still addictive. These books are also similar by the dreaming aspect (and the girl meets boy in her dream) and the family/friends relationships.
So,the book starts when the girl meets boy in her dream. Something magical and beautiful. And a little bit boring. The POV's switch is disturbing sometimes, we have Alex for abo
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
What could have been...

I really enjoyed the first third of Sleepless; the writing was enjoyable, the characters were interesting, and the concept was intriguing.
However, about half way into the book, the story fell off drastically for me. Character's reinvented their personality, the plot took a step into the ridiculous direction, and things ceased to make sense.
Jenne
Oh wow what a good book! I AM GOING TO DIE WAITING UNTIL THIS SUMMER FOR THE NEXT ONE! I've read this author's zombie series and I loved it but this was even better! The characters were great, I fell in love with them early on. The romance was perfect, it was real, it wasn't insta love. The plot and concept were fantastic! I highly recommend this book!
Jean
So, so, so good! I think romance lovers will really enjoy this one. It was sort of a contemporary romance with a twist. So many funny quotes. The best part by far was the romance. No instant love! No love triangle! Yay! I loved both Alex and Nick, and the ending was very unpredictable. I can't wait for the second book!
Scott Spotson
I had a hard time deciding whether to give this book three stars or four stars. Definitely out of ten stars I would have given it a seven and it would be easy! But three or four is all I can give... so for the reasons below I decide upon four!

The aspect of this book that tided me over was the romantic angle of the two being able to create their own virtual world. The description of Nick creating mountains, forests, and colourful skies really did it for me, and also tapped into my love of fantas
Olivia ツ
All kinds of awesome. This isn't an action/drama packed story. It's a story that slowly develops and allows you to get to know the main characters Alex and Nick. Funny at times and extremely sweet. A love story with a paranormal twist of sorts. Loved the chemistry between Nick and Alex.
Kelsey
I wasn’t exactly sure where this story was going to lead, but I have to say that I was very pleased to be a part of the journey.

Alex has a secret. At night, instead of dreaming, she is sometimes whisked off to another part of the world. That might sound like a dream come true, but not being able to control when or where you end up as well has having no real way of getting home can make going to sleep a real pain in the butt.

Alex has never looked forward to going to sleep—that is until the boy wh
  • Incorporeal (Soul, #1)
  • When Marrying a Scoundrel (Victorian Soap Opera, #2)
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • Unscathed
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston, #1)
  • How Beauty Met the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #1)
  • Mystic Cowboy (Men of the White Sandy, #1)
  • True Vision (True Trilogy #1)
  • The Fall
  • Euphoria (Duality, #2)
  • Night Moves (Night Songs Collection, #2)
  • Celestial Beginnings (Nephilim, #1)
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Sunder
  • Quicksilver Dreams (Dreamwalkers, #1)
  • The Portrait
  • Bewitched, Bothered, and Bitten (Bitten, #3)
  • Blood in the Stars
I was born in Eugene, Oregon and studied English Literature at the University of Oregon (Go Ducks!) My husband, my son and my 80lbs pitbull are my world.
More about Tracey Ward...

Bird of Stone (2 books)
  • Fearless (Bird of Stone, #2)
Knockout (North Star, #1) Writing on the Wall (Survival, #1) Until the End (Quarantined, #1) Brawler Backs Against the Wall (Survival, #2)