Sleepless (Bird of Stone, #1)
read excerpt* *Different edition

Sleepless (Bird of Stone #1)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  78 reviews
My name is Alex Mills and I have a superpower.

Don't be jealous, it sucks. I can't control it. My mind is a mutinous SOB that takes over when I go to sleep. I'm just a girl trying to get some shut eye while it decides to throw a rager that can land me just about anywhere in the world.

The base of the Eiffel Tower.
The shore on the coast of Ireland.
The third baseline at Wrigle...more
Published August 13th 2013 (first published August 12th 2013)

Navdha
Pure awesomeness!
Jacquie Bolton

Sleepless
(Bird of Stone #1)
Tracey
Ward
4.0/5.0

Alex has a superpower, but not the kind you'd be excited to have. She
can't control hers and it lands her all over the world
unpredicatably. She falls asleep in her bedroom wakes up in Paris,
Ireland, Wrigley Field, or whatever other desitantion her power
chooses at the moment. However, it's not all bad. Her power is how
she meets Nick.

Nick has a power too. He can't feel fear. It's great for his military
career... sucks for his social skills.

Their relatio...more
Mandiann
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is full of romance, surprise and mystery.

I have to admit that I was a bit confused at first about slipping. By the end of the book I felt I understood it much better.

I loved the cast of characters and the romance between Nick and Alex.

I wish the book contained more mundane details about Alex's life. I loved the fact that we got a nice glimpse into Nick's life and felt that it was lacking with...more
Trisha
So, first thing - the covers. There are two of them.

I understand the first one - the dock and the moon - and I love what it means to the story. But the one of the girl and boy kissing - that one is gorgeous. It made me want to read it and understand. And I think it is just as perfect to the story.

And what a story it is. This book has some of the funniest and real dialogue I've ever read. It was witty and sarcastic and the "male perspective" was, I thought, very true.

At first, I was confused abo...more
Saoirse
I recieved this book from an author in exchange for honest review.

Frankly, I didn't know what to expect from R4R book. Would it be significantly worse than any other book I've read? I know, how stupid of me to think that. Although if you really want to know, I am stupid, in the social sphere. I maybe that's why am I able to connect with Nick so much. Back to the point though; after few pages I realised how naive I was, how dumb. This book was interesting from the very beginning due to straightf...more
Helena Pinder
I got given a free copy by the author to read and review. There are some spoilers but none that will fully ruin the book.
This book is full of tension, thrills and excitement. It was unputdownable! It has a fast pace and awesome, brilliantly developed characters. The plot line is so original and a real thrill ride. I like how the book Is told in alternate perspectives and the way the dream world ends abruptly, leaving you hanging. I really enjoyed Alex and Cara's relationship, they were great sis...more
Leylan
I just finished reading Sleepless by Tracey Ward and wished the second book was out already. I could not put it down. I love how the action flowed from a series of nightmares and Slipping episodes to full action with some form of military involved.
I digress. I was given this book by the author on goodreads for an honest review and if you can't tell, I really loved reading it. I believe that this book has equal parts to the main characters of Alex and Nick. The alternating chapters helps the rea...more
Gracey

Received a copy of this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, so I decided to read and review this book because come on! The storyline/plot looks great and really original. I indeed like it and enjoyed it in most part.

I just love how real and fun their dialogues has been. Their banter were established in a natural and amusing way. Plus the aspect of the male point of view was just astonishing. I really thought that, 'yeah, guys talk/think like that.' XD

The ama...more
Ornella (Nyx)
4.5 Stars

Loooved it! :) Review to come.
Shelley
This book took me by surprise. I am not a big fan of supernatural or paranormal books. I have read and enjoyed a few, but they’re not generally my “go-to” genres. I wanted to give this book a try and I am so glad that I did! Well, as it turns out…I do like supernatural books!

This book was not an over-the-top supernatural book. Oh, the characters did possess a special kind of ability or power, but it was nothing that made me huff or roll my eyes. It is essentially a love story between two people...more
Cassy Le
**I got this book for free in exange for an finest review**

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!
It has the whole package; romance, humour, cute witty comments, everything!
The story kept me on edge the whole way, it simply is really beautiful <3
The characters are really characters that you get to know and feel for them, and they are so thought through!
The concept is something like nothing else, and I really liked it. I really loved how their stories cross, and how their lives turn out from that point...more
Katie O'Sullivan
In short, I loved this book. Ms. Ward took a fairly unique concept and blended it together with a little of this and a little of that to create a New Adult paranormal romance that kept me spellbound within its pages.

We meet each of the characters in quick succession, but spend most of the book with no idea of the root connection between them. When they start meeting up in the dreamscape, Nick doesn’t even believe Alex is real.

In terms of paranormal, there are no “creatures” – no vampires or ang...more
Emmy
**3.5**

I came across this as a kindle freebie and was like 'what the hell, why not? And what a pleasant surprise. The plot felt fresh and original and I enjoyed it for the most part.

I laughed, I cried - and I mean actual tears ran down my face. Let me repeat, tears ran down my face! My contacts almost fell out. This. never. happens. to me. Sure my eyes may water up sometimes, but it is rare that the tears actually fall!

The banter between many of the characters was witty and felt genuine. And it...more
Carrie (ICanHasBooks?)
Copy given for honest review.
Warning: Proceed with caution the following review contains traces of spoilers.

When I first opened up this book I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I knew we had this girl, Alex by the way. I knew she was going to be special. What I never knew was that when she closed her eyes to go to sleep that the chances of her waking up somewhere else other then her own bed was the norm for her.

Alex calls them slipping, she travels in her dreams. She has no c...more
Amanda Munes
********** Received an ARC in exchange for a HONEST review. *********

So when i started reading this book i was really confused. I had no clue what was going on and i thought about stopping. I however persevered because the thought of not finishing a book bugs the crap out of me. So i kept reading. Once i got the hang of what was going on i really started to enjoy it. I assumed this book would be similar to other love stories or romance books but it is not. We start with Alex in her room looking...more
Sara
A big thank you to Tracey Ward for giving me a copy of Sleepless to read for an honest review.

I found myself drawn into Sleepless from the beginning. From the first page of the prologue I was drawn in and needed to know where this was headed. The story was amusing, intriguing, mysterious, and sometimes laugh out loud funny.

Alex is a girl with an ability to travel in her sleep. She never knows where she will wake up and if her life will be at risk. Nick is the boy who lives without fear. And when...more
Toshi
The short version is this: the characters all have depth, their own voice, behave in believable ways and are funny in their own ways. The conversations are hilarious as are some of the author's descriptions of things. The relationship in the book is actually paced in a way that is believable, and nobody goes over the top crazy. The powers are very cool and have a lot of room for filling in, which seems like the plan for the next book.

It is part of a series, though I'm unsure if there will be jus...more
Heather
I was lucky enough to receive this book from goodreads for an honest review.

This is the second book by Tracy Ward I have read and she is not a fluke. Her ideas are fresh and new. The pacing just pulls you along, but doesn't rush the story line. Her characters are fully developed and clearly described. I loved this book and can't wait for the sequel.
Chiara
May 10, 2014 Chiara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E.
Recommended to Chiara by: Saoirse Foster
Shelves: favorites
I received this book from the author for an honest review.

Wow. I don't even know what to say. This book is such an extraordinary one, an outstanding one. I didn't even consider considering my rating of this book. It's five stars and I would give it more if I could.

The plot is amazing. Really amazing. The whole Slipping thing, the Fearless thing... I just... How can somebody be so original and write so beautiful romantic scenes and... I just. How?! Tracey is an amazing writer, I dare to say as am...more
★ʜɑʋɘɳ★
What could have been...

I really enjoyed the first third of Sleepless; the writing was enjoyable, the characters were interesting, and the concept was intriguing.
However, about half way into the book, the story fell off drastically for me. Character's reinvented their personality, the plot took a step into the ridiculous direction, and things ceased to make sense.
Scott Spotson
I had a hard time deciding whether to give this book three stars or four stars. Definitely out of ten stars I would have given it a seven and it would be easy! But three or four is all I can give... so for the reasons below I decide upon four!

The aspect of this book that tided me over was the romantic angle of the two being able to create their own virtual world. The description of Nick creating mountains, forests, and colourful skies really did it for me, and also tapped into my love of fantas...more
Kelsey
I wasn’t exactly sure where this story was going to lead, but I have to say that I was very pleased to be a part of the journey.

Alex has a secret. At night, instead of dreaming, she is sometimes whisked off to another part of the world. That might sound like a dream come true, but not being able to control when or where you end up as well has having no real way of getting home can make going to sleep a real pain in the butt.

Alex has never looked forward to going to sleep—that is until the boy wh...more
Alexandra
This is my first review. That being said, I am not writing it to be eloquent. I am writing this because for once, I feel the need to write about the book I read. To be honest, there were times in the book that I grew impatient for things to move along, but that is not uncommon for me. Thinking back though, I feel things moved at a perfect pace. I am not usually one for paranormal romance but I feel this was a story of perfect blending and proportions. That being said, the ending is was got me. I...more
Maliha Khan
4.5 stars, it's .5 stars short because the hero (view spoiler) after meeting the heroine (yes they had just met) and realistic or not, I didn't like it. I don't dislike or hate it, but I don't like it.

otherwise, the book was perfect! loved the alice in wonderland parts, the contemp/paranormal theme and the idea!

When I started sleepless I didn't know what to expect. Even from the blurb I couldn't determine whether it was about superheroes more or the relati...more
Sandee (The Whimsical Reader)
Oh wow!
That was very refreshing and unique.

I don't think I've read anything like it before. It kind of reminded me a bit of Jumper but still.. It was very unique and the romance. So sweet!! :)

Review to follow.
Athena
The first sentence immediately grabbed my attention, still I had no idea what to expect, some great novel romance or a paranormal struggle.

After reading a couple of chapters I was honestly believing it was the start of a romance like only star-crossed lovers can do. I don't fully understand how Nick and Alex are exactly connected on to that dream-plane, but what I do know is that the two of them complement each other very well.

Nick is focused, driven, always giving it 200%, never doubting himsel...more
Dianne
*Also posted at Oops! I Read A Book Again*

Thank you to Chyna of Lite-Rate-Ture Book Tours and to Tracey Ward for the review copy. This in no way affected my views of the novel.

From the get-go, the unique premise and characters and the engaging writing grabbed me. I immediately felt that I was reading something great, probably a four-star read. We have our heroine Alex who ends up in places when she sleeps. Random forests or in Russia or anywhere. Then we have Nick, training to be a PJ in the Air...more
Reviews from a Bookworm
This book begins in such an amazing way that it gripped me from the very beginning. There aren't many ways to start a book that are better than 'The first time I saw her, I was dead.'. I really didn't know what to expect from this book, and if it wasn't for the fact that I received a copy for free, I might not have read it at all. I am so unbelievably glad that I did; this was my surprise read of the year. But I will say that it is much more adult than young adult.

At twenty, Alex is still trying...more
Nicole Ronzheimer
Such a unique story line.
Kristen Noel
After reading this book, I can safely say that I take sleeping for granted. Every night whenever Alex Mills falls asleep, she doesn't know if she'll wake up in her bed or "slip" to some other place. Alex takes this with more ease than I could. Fast forward to her twentieth birthday celebration, and this story takes a crazy turn. Alex stumbles upon Nick who up and disappears into thin air. This sets up an undeniably epic romance that teases you with it's tension the entire length of the book.

description

One...more
  • Sweet Disorder (Lively St. Lemeston, #1)
  • True Vision (True Trilogy #1)
  • When Marrying a Scoundrel (Victorian Soap Opera, #2)
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
  • Mystic Cowboy
  • Maybe Fate
  • Reforming the Viscount
  • The Portrait
  • How Beauty Met the Beast (Tales of the Underlight, #1)
  • It Stings So Sweet
  • Darkness Within (Lords of Avalon, #3)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • Miss Goldsleigh's Secret
  • An Heiress at Heart (Love's Grace, #1)
  • What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
I was born in Eugene, Oregon and studied English Literature at the University of Oregon (Go Ducks!) It was there that I discovered why Latin is a dead language and that being an English teacher was not actually what I wanted to do with my life.

My husband, my son and my 80lbs pitbull who thinks he's a lapdog are my world.
More about Tracey Ward...
Knockout (North Star, #1) Writing on the Wall (Survival, #1) Until the End (Quarantined, #1) Backs Against the Wall (Survival, #2) In the End (Quarantined, #2)