Start by marking “Scientific Progress Goes Boink” as Want to Read:
Scientific Progress Goes Boink

Scientific Progress Goes Boink (Calvin et Hobbes #9)

4.71 of 5 stars 4.71  ·  rating details  ·  9,192 ratings  ·  151 reviews
In just over five years of syndication, Calvin and Hobbes has become an American comic strip sensation - touching the hearts (and funny bones) of the millions who read the award-winning strip. One look at the new Calvin and Hobbes collection and it is immediately evident that Bill Watterson's imagination, wit, and sense of adventure continue to be unmatched. In this collec ...more
Published 1991 by Scholastic Inc

To ask other readers questions about Scientific Progress Goes Boink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scientific Progress Goes Boink

Mont'ster
Oct 01, 2007 Mont'ster rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
Shelves: topshelf, comics, humor
Calvin and Hobbes is always good for a laugh when you're down. But the thing that I love most about Bill Watterson's work is that he has the ability to make you laugh and (in the middle of great big belly laughs) he can "make you go hmmm". Hilarious and thoughtful.
Dana Salman
Calvin is a hypocritical, imaginative, dim-whitted, self-centered, insensitive, brutish and rambunctious six-year-old. Hobbes is a sarcastic, peace-loving, supportive, somewhat phsychotic stuffed tiger. Together, the two make a whacky, noisy, messy, hilarious, unforgettable pair.

That's alot of meaningless adjectives, among many, to describe two of my favorite characters in the comic strip department. This book especially had me gripped because it contained one of my favorite 'card-board box' sto
Mary Catelli
Another of Bill Watterson's works.

The title noise is that of the duplicator producing copies of Calvin -- who didn't think how copies would act. Also appearing are dreams of waking up, snowballs, floating to the ceiling, and growing enormous.
Kathleen
As ever, this is wonderful. The strip where Calvin and Hobbes get a bedtime story about them made me wibble.
Exina
A great book of the series again! The title story is the best of all!

The Christmas poem is really charming, I love moments like this. :)

Deanthony
Hello book fans how y'all doing in y'all's books. We'll if you ask me I'm doing just fine. The book that I'm reading is Calvin and Hobbes Scientific Progress Goes " Boink " . Now this is a great book I think lots of you would like it because if you start this book Calvin and Hobbes are the best of friends. The thing is that Calvin is the only one that can see Hobbes. Hobbes is a stuffed animal that Calvin loves so so much but he wish everyone can see him. They go on adventures everywhere possibl ...more
Keon Claish
The " scientific goes blink " is about Calvin and Hobbes doing the same . Getting in trouble, getting yelled at. But this time Calvin and Hobbes builds something very cool. I recommend this book for elementary to high school. Because it grabs the kids attention. And for teens and my attention we like how the tiger can talk to Calvin but he can't talk to nobody else. There's nothing wrong with this book unless the parents don't like how Calvin talks back.

Hoobins
I remember when my dad gave me this one that was the first time I saw Calvin & hobbes (bisedes some grammar books of the school) this one means a lot to me, evn not being in the odder right it was what started it all for me. Can't lie I love read Calvin & hoobes and always will, it drags you and makes you remember your childhood and kinda makes you see hiw much you've changed, and then you start ti see the things on a diferent way again, for a moment, you're a child again.
João Moura
Para aliviar a mente de leituras grotescas (como Hubert Selby Jr) antes de dormir, nada melhor do que passar os olhos em Calvin, a criança eterna, a mesma que infelizmente deixamos morrer em nós algures pelo caminho. Mais divertido do que ter uma playstation enquanto criança, é ter um amigo como Hobbes, o tigre de peluche mais porreiro que se conhece...
Valerie
Most of the strips in this book are in at least one of the collections. The collections also contain the Sunday strips in COLOR, which is very important. For example, in the strip where Calvin is trapped in a color negative (panting for developer), if you can't see the actual colors things have turned, much of the joke is lost.

Nevertheless, it's worth collecting the original collections, and not only for essential redundancy. The small collections have unique endpages and covers. That alone is w
Randy Hulshizer
What can I say? I love Calvin and Hobbes. I've read all of these books so many times I've lost count, but they never get old. Just now getting around to reading them again.
Sandra
I haven't read Calvin and Hobbes in ages but what should I say?. It is always a great read! So many great ideas. My personal favourites are the babysitter stories :), so funny!.
B
Calvin and Hobbes caught my attention as a small child, and even though I didn’t always get all of the more adult jokes, I still enjoyed them. After a few years of reading, I appreciated more and more and even now, as an adult, I enjoy the creativity and joy Calvin finds in every situation of life.

After reading every book of Calvin and Hobbes, I would recommend them to anyone who wants to find the joys of a simple life and I look forward to sharing them with my own boys when they are a bit olde
Dan
The characters were named for John Calvin (an christian reformist and idealist) and Thomas Hobbes (a philosopher and essentially a sophist).
Calvin's character is the product of abounding curiosity and imagination as applied to his obliviousness to the stark realities staring him down. Hobbes' role as the perpetually unheeded voice of reason in Calvin's head often forces him to forgo all rationality for the sake of the further exploration of his companion's psychosis.
The philosophical debate
Annah
Bicycle terrorism, cardboard box time machines, school bullies, and many a day trip to outer space or the Jurassic era. Delectable.
Noor
Absolutely brilliant. Never fails to bring a smile to my face and warmth to my heart. All-time comfort reading at its best!
Claire
I liked this book because Calvin multiplied himself in a box and I thought it was cool.
Mark
Class as always from the greatest boy-tiger duo the world has ever seen.
Paul
Why is it that whenever I'm feeling a little low, all I have to do is pull one of the Calvin & Hobbes books from the shelf and give it a good re-read to perk me up. I've many other "funny-books", but these are the ones that bring me most joy.
Then, a little after I am done, I start re-realizing that Watterson will probably never do any more, then I get sad again.
I'm very grateful for what I have... and I'll re-read them as many times as I need... I just wish there were more.
OK, now I'm feelin
Keyla Benjamin
I completely loved this collection. Calvin is a funny and smart kid.
Michael
Calvin and Hobbs, not much better!
Amber Harris
Calvin and Hobbes are my go-to best friends. In lieu of the failure of real people to help me out of a slump, lying on the floor and reading about the boy and stuffed tiger bicker about the rules of Calvin Ball or whining about Susie, the Girl-Next-Door always, always brings a smile to my face. Calvin and Hobbes offers so many things - many people enjoy pointing out the serious and political undertones of the strip - but for me, all I need to do is see the childlike innocence that I miss and I'm ...more
George
Calvin and Hobbes is a blast to read as a kid (Mike is reading through them, too), but they take on a whole new meaning when you become a parent. I'm having a blast re-reading all these!
Greg
Yet another among the books published by Bill Watterson from the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that I have enjoyed. My children have literally worn out these collections of C&H comics, and with good reason. C&H is a unique blend of homespun philosophy, side-splitting humor, and insight into the human (child and adult) condition. Watterson's insights into, and sly digs at, various social, familial, and other institutions of modern life are masterful.
Weixin
I know how kids LOVE to read comics, I was one of them. Calvin and Hobbes was, and still is, my FAVORITE comic series. The humor and wit found in these comic strips are so genuine and fresh, they really are enough to make anyone of any age laugh. I recommend these for students because they will learn a lot of vocabulary, ideas, etc. and it's so engaging that they're reading fluency and comprehension is improving without them even knowing it.
Andrew
Where to start - well normally when I read alot of one genre or author (or both) I eventually get bored and feel stale (no disrespect I just love a wide range of books) but when I read Calvin and Hobbes that never happens - ok they are short punchy comic strips sometimes a single pane others cross several pages I never cease to be amazed at the simplicity of the artwork and let the sheer range of subjects, ideas and comments they can convey.
Michelle
What can I say about Calvin and Hobbes that hasn't already been said? Bill Watterson is pure genius. I introduced Calvin and Hobbes to my elementary aged kids when they were in about 1st or 2nd grade. If you have kids who can read, but don't like to, give them Calvin and Hobbes. They will thank you by laughing out loud, and refusing to put the book down to come to dinner, go to bed, bathe,....
Help me find this book 1 21 Jan 01, 2013 10:03AM
  • Wiener Dog Art
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
  • Black Bart Says Draw: A FoxTrot Collection
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...
Calvin and Hobbes The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury The Calvin and Hobbes Tenth Anniversary Book The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World

“You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place.'

'That's why animals are so soft and huggy.”
408 likes
“[Calvin and Hobbes are playing Scrabble.]
Calvin: Ha! I've got a great word and it's on a "Double word score" box!
Hobbes: "ZQFMGB" isn't a word! It doesn't even have a vowel!
Calvin: It is so a word! It's a worm found in New Guinea! Everyone knows that!
Hobbes: I'm looking it up.
Calvin: You do, and I'll look up that 12-letter word you played with all the Xs and Js!
Hobbes: What's your score for ZQFMGB?
Calvin: 957.”