Start by marking “So You Want to Be an Interpreter: An Introduction to Sign Language Interpreting” as Want to Read:
So You Want to Be an Interpreter: An Introduction to Sign Language Interpreting

So You Want to Be an Interpreter: An Introduction to Sign Language Interpreting

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
If you're interested in becoming a sign language interpreter, this is the most popular interpreting textbook in the US and Canada. Enhance your knowledge of American Sign Language and interpreting with this reader-friendly resource. Explains the interpreting process, ethics, the job market, and much more. For beginners to seasoned interpreters, for in-class use or independ ...more
Published May 1st 1995 by H & H Publishing Company (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about So You Want to Be an Interpreter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You Want to Be an Interpreter

TerpTopics TerpTopics
May 31, 2009 TerpTopics TerpTopics rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Interpreting Students
Recommended to TerpTopics by: Florida Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf
Shelves: interpreting
This is *THE* overview and introduction to sign language interpreting. Start with this book!

You might also enjoy browsing this site.

After you read this book the first time, put it down for about six months, and then pick it up again. We think you will be amazed at how much information you somehow missed the first time. (Of course, everyone has experienced that we can't see what we are not prepared to see; yet, it's still a bit startling what a few months' time can prepare a person to see.)
Jessica
I did not read this with the possibility of becoming an interpreter. I skimmed it looking for insight into what is required for an interpreter (a fine line, I know).
Heidi Johnson
Good basic overview for the field and what it is that interpreters actually do. Good beginning place but there is a lot more to know than just this.
Paige
This is a pretty good book for those interested in becoming a Sign Language Interpreter. A lot of good information.
Gen
Very informative if you want to get into the field of interpreting. Has very accurate and up to date info on the field.
LARRY
As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

*So You Want to be an Interpreter?* is a recommended book for those wanting to be an interpreter or CDI (certified Deaf interpreter). (Although, 2nd edition is recommended for RID certification.)

The first half of the book can be boring or redundant for those who are already familiar with cultural and language differences among races, genders, generations and the like. If you know all about L1 and L2, then you'll be reading about them again here.

The other ha
Tamra
Mar 26, 2012 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone studying to be a sign language interpreter
Recommended to Tamra by: Cincinnati State ITP curriculum
Great book! I think I expected that there would be some sort of check list for What To Do if You Want to Become an Interpreter, or Do You Have What it Takes (like a Cosmo quiz). But that's not what this book is at all. Instead, it's a good overview of Sign Language interpreting - philosophies, different areas of interpretation, deaf history and culture, etc.

The graphics were laughable, the formatting should be DRASTICALLY improved, and the book isn't going to hold up over time, but those are the
Jerilyn
Rated only 3 because I bought this book before I knew anything about how to be an interpreter and it was not super helpful or what I expected. It is super helpful for interpreters who are going though or who have been through ITPs and are looking to pass the NIC. I think the title just threw me off as a "noob" who was looking for a step by step guide and overview of the profession.
Nora
This is literally the first book any person considering becoming an interpreter should read. It gives a great foundation.
Becca
Becca is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Lea Pind
Lea Pind marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Çağrı Sevgi
Çağrı Sevgi marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Gina
Gina added it
Sep 24, 2014
James
James is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Ale
Ale marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Crystal Cornejo
Crystal Cornejo marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Solenne
Solenne is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Happypatrol
Happypatrol marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Blair Rasmus
Blair Rasmus marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Decisions? Decisions! A Practical Guide for Sign Language Professionals A hands-on guided study for So You Want To Be An Interpreter?: An introduction to sign language interpreting An Audio Book Dramatization of So You Want to Be An Interpreter? An Introduction to Sign Language Interpreting