Start by marking “The Theory of Almost Everything: The Standard Model, the Unsung Triumph of Modern Physics” as Want to Read:

There are two scientific theories that, taken together, explain the entire universe. The first, which describes the force of gravity, is widely known: Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity. But the theory that explains everything else—the Standard Model of Elementary Particles—is virtually unknown among the general public.In The Theory of Almost Everything, Robert Oerter ...more
Published September 26th 2006 by Plume (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Theory of Almost Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Theory of Almost Everything

Lotz
Aug 19, 2015 Lotz rated it really liked it
This book is really a rare treat. How often can you find a lucid and compelling explanation of perhaps the greatest scientific achievement in history packed into less than 300 pages? Oerter has done a fine thing. In fact, I find it rather remarkable, really, when I reflect that he includes the history of the major discoveries and theoretical advances, as well as surprisingly nuanced discussions of QED, QCD, and Feynman diagrams (among much else), ultimately managing to take the reader from Newto ...more
Manny
Dec 30, 2014 Manny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to understand particle physics and isn't already an expert
description

Casting around for a good way to explain what an excellent book this is, I realize that I can say it very concisely: in an approachable but still quite responsible manner, it tells you everything you need to know about the Standard Model of Particle Physics to be able to understand the equation on the famous CERN T-shirt.

Well, that was my best shot. If you aren't convinced now, you never will be.
David
Apr 25, 2009 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very nice overview of the "Standard Model" of physics, namely the current theory encompassing all the known particles of physics -- electrons, protons, neutrons, positrons, muons, neutrinos, gluons, the hypotheticized Higgs bosons, etc -- plus all the known interactions and forces, save only gravitation. Oerter argues (and I am inclined to agree with him) that the Standard Model is, perhaps, "the pinnacle of human intellectual achievement to date."

Unlike many semi-popular works on scie
Scott
Jun 07, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
Robert Oerter's ambitious book leads the reader conceptually through the modern physics of the Standard Model, from its historical antecedents in Newton and Maxwell to the current state of knowledge. As expected in any brief account of this nature, depending upon the background the reader brings to this book, he or she might find some areas provide enough information, while other areas leave the reader wanting more detail. For me, the sections up through and including quantum electrodynamics (QE ...more
Ann
Apr 16, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-medicine
There are dozens of books out there about dark holes, string theory, chaos theory and what have you. But it's hard to find a book about the Standard Model, even though it is probably the most comprehensive theory at the universe available right now. This book takes the reader from the beginning of Einstein's thinking about spacetime through the 20th century up to the experiments that were ongoing at the time the book was written (2006). That means, for instance, that the Higgs boson was not yet ...more
James
Jan 25, 2011 James rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Good for what it is. I read so many of these general audience science texts, I wish there was a third category, somewhere between "I've never heard of relativity" and "Yes, I do have a PhD in physics."
Jesse
May 04, 2013 Jesse rated it really liked it
Score: 3.5/5

Mixed feelings on this book. I picked it up for obvious reasons---who wouldn't want a casual introduction to the standard model?

Author Robert Oerter tries to write this book in an accessible way, but as you might expect, managing the line between accessibility and rigor in a book on particle physics is tricky, and some parts of the book are better than others.

Early on, when building up some early historical context, Oerter shows you Schrödinger's wave equation ("Just to show you what
Balhau
Mar 14, 2014 Balhau rated it really liked it
Well.. This is a very well written book. I decided begin to read this work of Oerter because I was very much interested in a very unkown (to me) part of the physics. It was a mixed surprise. Mr Oerter is a very lucid man, he write in a very straightforward and clear way. It is assertive and imaginative explaining the not so intuitive results. Writting style aside I must confess that the content was not so pleasant at all. The modern theories are very difficult to prove by recurring to evidence a ...more
Greg Meyer
Sep 06, 2009 Greg Meyer rated it really liked it
Great book, it really is brilliant. He shows that the standard model is actually a brilliant accomplishment of dial turning. However, it is still flawed, as he even admits himself.
Vicky Chijwani
Sep 25, 2016 Vicky Chijwani rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Recommended for: people who love abstract things and would like to get up to speed on the latest (well, almost) physics.

Reading this book raises interesting philosophical questions in my mind: is the layman of the future doomed to encounter increasingly dry, mathematical theories about the nature of reality, with the march of science? It certainly seems so. Is reality, at bottom, just math? I sure hope not.

Turns out modern particle physics is just not at all captivating, unlike 20th century phys
Dr M
Sep 22, 2007 Dr M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Physicists, those with an interest in science
Shelves: popular-science
The Theory of Almost Everything is the story of the Standard Model of elementary particle physics. The title is a pun on the expression "Theory of Everything", the theoretical physicist's wet dream of a unified theory of all the fundamental constituents and interactions of matter, and Oerter seeks to explain how the elementary particle physics of the 20th century has almost achieved this, except "only" for questions concerning gravity. Oerter does this very well indeed. In fact, I must say that ...more
Lee Belbin
Dec 10, 2015 Lee Belbin rated it liked it
Pretty well written introduction to the quantum view of small things. While I studied this many years ago, this was a good introduction to the weird world of quantum mechanics. I think it could have been a lot more concise however - I reckon the guts of it could have been done in 50%. I liked the historical perspectives the most. If you don't know about the non intuitive (non Newtonian) quirks of very small things (atoms and below), this is a fair place to start. Fact is stranger than fiction he ...more
Michal
Feb 17, 2016 Michal rated it it was amazing
Oerter takes upon himself a grand task of making the Standard Model more understandable for general public. I think he is successful in this undertaking.

The book is written in a clear language with an avoidance of jargon, which makes it accessible. Even though I was familiar with majority of ideas presented, the amount of information contained in this book, particularly regarding particle decays, is sometimes overwhelming.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in modern physics. There is m
Tassos
Apr 14, 2013 Tassos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
I am not an expert on the field, my knowledge about relativity and quantum theory was limited before this book. Thus, when I wanted to get a little more deep into understanding what is happening 'down' there, I started looking for a good book to read. Now, after reading this book, I feel lucky with the choice I've made.

A very easy to read book that takes things from the very beginning and explaining how physicists ended up with what we have now. More over, enough details are given on each step,
Tom Ritman-Meer
Aug 11, 2016 Tom Ritman-Meer rated it it was amazing
Excellent and quirky introduction to particle physics. I feel far better acquainted with the Standard Model now and it was at the right level to be challenging to a person with technical knowledge without alienating them. It has sufficiently stimulated my interest in elementary particles to explore further.
Paperclippe
Once again, another book that was an amazing read right up to the part about string theory. Though this particular book was twenty years old, which was right around the time of the rebirth of interest in string theory, so I guess I can't really get too upset.

All of that having been said, it was an excellent primer to the intricacies of the Standard Model, which is so often skimmed over in popular science and physics books. Definitely give it a read; just keep in mind that we 1) have official dis
Erik
Apr 30, 2013 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physics
This is a very good book that aims to give an overview on the standard model of particle physics. A somewhat charming thing is that Oerter shows concern that the Higgs boson had not yet been discovered which would make or break the theory and since the book was written the Higgs boson particle has indeed been discovered. I would have liked to see more references supporting the books claims, mostly it relies on a few book for the whole chapter but few are specific or are first hand sources. It al ...more
Catherine
Sep 06, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
I'm giving it three stars because I understood 3 things about this book.
Devero
Feb 24, 2013 Devero rated it liked it
Un buon libro divulgativo sullo stato della Teoria del Modello Standard com'era nel 2005.
Viene descritta come la teoria che da le migliori previsioni verificabili sperimentalmente e il lavoro fatto al CERN di Ginevra, culminato l'anno scorso con la probabile produzione del bosone di Higgs è una ulteriore conferma di questo fatto.
Per tutti coloro che ne vogliono sapere di più sulla fisica delle particelle.
Ad ogni modo, se siete digiuni dell'argomento, vi risulterà abbastanza ostico; le nozioni di
Zahwa
Jun 27, 2016 Zahwa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Chunyang Ding
Aug 17, 2012 Chunyang Ding rated it it was amazing
An amazing book for beginners in modern physics. I read this book at a summer camp for the frontiers of physics, and the book was able to clarify confusing topics we covered in lecture. It is, of course, rather simplistic, and isn't particularly deep in the math or technical details of the standard model. Instead, it gives the reader a taste of what is currently known and how much is left for us to discover!
Mpr
Dec 16, 2014 Mpr rated it really liked it
Excellent introduction to the terrifyingly big world of particle physics. The only prerequisite is curiosity- everything is explained in a straightforward way, and a lot of tricky concepts are explained in an intuitive and visual way. Recommended to anyone interested, but if you have even an undergraduate level understanding of the math and physics required there might be better texts.
Karan Tyagi
Apr 01, 2012 Karan Tyagi rated it really liked it
At first I was really confused with this book , because I thought it was gonna be about Philosophy, but it turns out its about Physics. I was recommended to read this book by a senior named Will Lynch. Over all I really liked reading this book. It was kind of hard to keep up with it cause i knew nothing about physics, but now i kind if have a little knowledge about this subject.
Bill Jackman
Sep 07, 2012 Bill Jackman rated it liked it
Someone asked me what the Higgs Boson is, and I didn't know. (Hide head in shame.) The standard model has supposedly been around for 40 years, (After I got out of college. I still had physics professors who had not studied quantum mechanics.) and I don't remember running into it. As is normal I will have to read more, before I will begin to really understand it.
Kathy
Jul 16, 2008 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This is another Physics book for the non-physicist. Very interesting and not heavy on math. Of course, physics can't be completely grasped without the math so someone with a good math background would probably prefer something more technical. This was at my level, though.
Amit Srivastava
This is a good book overall, to understand the standard model. Does get a little technical at time, but if you stay with it, not very difficult to understand. Not meant for passive reading. Could have been a little lighter for popular science readers.
Sean Grealis
Mar 16, 2013 Sean Grealis rated it really liked it
a really well done explanation of the history of quantum physics over the last century or so. the explanations are done in a way that you don't need a PhD in physics to understand them but not so dumbed down to lose their meaning.
Ryan Cutter
Aug 07, 2014 Ryan Cutter rated it really liked it
Shelves: sciencey-stuff
A very good insight into the standard model. This book is a little outdated now, but I would recommend it as a lot of ideas are conveyed in an easy and insightful way
Earl
Jun 05, 2014 Earl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Physics! For beginners! Still can't comprehend completely!
Scott
May 23, 2009 Scott rated it really liked it
Lots and lots of physics, mostly particle and quantum stuff that I remember. When I was reading it, so very much of it made sense.
Just started reading this excellent book 1 2 Apr 09, 2015 08:02PM
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • The Pleasure Instinct: Why We Crave Adventure, Chocolate, Pheromones, and Music
  • The Weather of the Future
  • Darwin's Island: The Galapagos in the Garden of England
  • Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • Absolutely Small: How Quantum Theory Explains Our Everyday World
  • Alice in Quantumland: An Allegory of Quantum Physics
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • A World Without Ice
  • Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • The Book of Nothing: Vacuums, Voids, and the Latest Ideas about the Origins of the Universe
  • The Shape of Inner Space: String Theory and the Geometry of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • The Fallen Sky: An Intimate History of Shooting Stars