Start by marking “Reading the Ceiling” as Want to Read:
Reading the Ceiling

Reading the Ceiling

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  20 reviews
'Reading the Ceiling' takes us from Gambia to London, Boston and Mali as Ayodele confronts dilemmas universal to women across the globe, what do we settle for, how long do we wait for love, and what are the consequences of our actions?
Published May 8th 2007 by Simon & Schuster Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Reading the Ceiling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading the Ceiling

Kinga
This is a good book if you are doing one of those Around the World challenges and you are struggling to find a book from the Gambia (did you know it was THE Gambia?).

It's a perfect book for this sort of thing - a perfect mix of the exotic and the familiar, not too challenging, giving you just enough of insight into the culture without making you uncomfortable. It meshes the European with the African, the traditional with the modern and shows African women dancing on the fine line between the two
Friederike Knabe
On her eighteenth birthday, Ayodele decides, she will not only have a great party at the best disco in town, she will also choose a one-off mate to take her from childhood to womanhood. It is an empowering feeling and the choice is hers, not common in her society at that time. First-time Gambian novelist Dayo Forster has written a lively, fast paced and delightful novel built around an intriguing concept: three different scenarios unfold for her life, depending on the man she chooses for that fa ...more
Abdelrahman
It is very interesting yet not deep enough. Dele's reactions in the second story are very overrated comparing to Dele of the first story, as if it were a different person. The third story is the best, I enjoyed it so much. As she said; the moral of the story is: If you want something don't half-want it, want it properly and get it.
Julia
Interesting concept - we all know that the whole life can take a really different take based on one spur-of-the-moment decision and thus the author evolves this novel from three different parting points in the life of 18-year-old Ayodele. I really liked the end of the book and the legend of the mermaid which might have been the author's parting point to start writing this book. I also enjoyed the details on Gambian life, food, dress, etc. very much. Unfortunately I never really cared for any of ...more
V C Willow
I thought the idea for the book outshone the execution. The retelling of the story and the blandness of a lot of the narrative made one story mingle pretty much into the next retelling. Clearly Dayo Forster is a talented writer and a capable story teller but I simply found the style not to my personal taste. Lots of subjects were touched upon but I felt we never really got to explore the depths of any of the characters or the stories, which was a shame as it felt we were forever only skimming th ...more
Jessica
This lovely book elaborates on the theory that a single choice can impact the rest of your life. Within "Reading the Ceiling" we are taken through three possible life stories of the narrator, Ayodele. She not only shifts and changes, but also her community, social life, and the relationships with those dear to her. I found myself getting more attached to certain storylines and characters than others, but not a particular version of the story. I enjoyed the everchanging perspectives on life Ayode ...more
Carbonelle
Interesting device however, not a very sophisticated development of potential story lines.
Tiah
Mar 09, 2014 Tiah added it
The story is an interesting concept - very "Sliding Doors." The main character is a strong woman - which I adored. But the formula also prevented me, as a reader, from becoming involved with any of her various "paths." Thus, I didn't find myself caring deeply when emotional events occurred that should have wrenched my heart. Very detached the whole way through - which is a shame.
Mike/
I read it at a point in my life when I had to make life-changing decisions without the benefit of foresight....very influential....I like the books-in-book format.........took me back to Jeffrey Archer, RL Stine and the rest.
Should be made a recommended book for high school girls.....tackles scenarios with great sensitivity and grace.....a magnificent book.
Andrea
Set in Gambia, this novel traces a young woman's choices through three alternative lives. The author catches the tone and attitudes of Ayodele as a teenager and then young and middle aged woman well. All of our choices determine both create and limit the subsequent paths of our lives. Forster explores this idea with rich characters and vivid writing.
Suzi
I really enjoyed this book, OK so the concept is not very original but it did make me wonder about the choices I made at 18 and where I would be now if things had worked out differently. If only the 3 stories of Ayodele were applicable to life!!! It frustrated me that I didn't know enough about each section, but well worth a read.
Valerie
Each part of this triptych imagines a young woman choosing a different first lover, and how her life's path changes based on that choice. The stories give a glimpse into the dreams of this young woman, and in none of those dreams is she entirely her own person.
Tolu
A really good read about how one decision can change the course of the future. The book looks at three possible parallel universes following Ayodele making a decision at the age of 18. Would recommend it!
Nina Chachu
Liked it, though at times I got slightly confused about the Gambian locales which sounded slightly Nigerian - but probably that was my mis-reading rather than anything else?
Nancy
This is a really interesting perspective on what isn't such an important decision for most women in the US... definitely worth reading, VERY good book club read
Helen
A thoroughly enjoyable, well-written book. I will definitely recommend this to friends and family.
TheFountainPenDiva
Aug 07, 2013 TheFountainPenDiva marked it as to-read
Hmm, great book but loathed the whitewashed cover. Why are publishers still doing this shit?
Rosa Jacob
I didn't get why we had to have three endings. Made me so aware that am reading a FICTION
Marla Dondasse
Marla Dondasse marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Arika Tolle
Arika Tolle marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Libraryshelf
Libraryshelf marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Mimimau
Mimimau marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Khouloud
Khouloud marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Andreia Marques
Andreia Marques marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Great African Reads: "Reading the Ceiling" by Dayo Forster 5 43 Mar 16, 2013 07:11PM
Great African Reads: July/Aug: Gambia | "Reading the Ceiling" 36 35 Aug 14, 2011 05:41PM
  • AMA
  • The Prophet of Zongo Street: Stories
  • The Last Will & Testament of Senhor da Silva Araújo
  • Tropical Gangsters: One Man's Experience with Development and Decadence in Deepest Africa
  • Travels in West Africa
  • Houseboy
  • On Black Sisters Street: A Novel
  • Harare North
  • In the United States of Africa
  • The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River
  • Johnny Mad Dog
Dayo Forster was born in Gambia and now lives in Kenya. She has published a short story in Kwani? and was one of 12 African writers selected as a participant at the 2006 Caine Prize Writer’s Workshop. The story produced as a result of the workshop was published in a Caine Prize anthology in July 2006. Her short story in Kwani? led her to write her first novel, which will be published early 2008.

my
More about Dayo Forster...
Expert Systems In Health For Developing Countries: Practice, Problems, And Potential

“A man walks fast along the forecourt of the station towards a gate, moving towards a train that's about to leave. I get shivery all over as I watch the back of his head, which is about Yuan's height, with hair and a neckline just like his. My eyes tell me what my mind knows cannot be true. I follow him along seeking the one thing that would confirm him as someone else. The man turns his head slightly to talk to a train official. I can see his nose in profile. My eyes sting.” 1 likes