Start by marking “Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa: A West African Spiritual Tradition” as Want to Read:
Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa: A West African Spiritual Tradition

Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa: A West African Spiritual Tradition

In the realm of African spiritual pathways, no tradition is so widely embraced and practiced as the West African religion Orisa. Awakened by her own spiritual journey, Tobe Melora Correal, an initiated priestess in the Yoruba-Lukumi branch of Orisa, guides us along this blessed road. FINDING THE SOUL ON THE PATH OF ORISA provides a fresh look at these ancient teachings and ...more
Published January 28th 2003 by Crossing Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa

Kevin
Jul 19, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
I just recently got this book back from my mom. I loaned it a year or so ago to her.

It's tough finding a book that is good for someone who is curious about ATR practices, but needs a bit more than just the usual history lesson of where it came from and all of that.

The author does a great job of simplifying things without making it TOO basic...

If you're already involved in the religion, there isn't much you're going to get out of this book, aside from the usual warm-and-fuzzies if experiences men
Cassandra
Jan 07, 2014 Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Correal's easy prose is a great book for non-initiates to Ifa. Correal provides a concise summary of Ifa, the Orisa, the importance of ancestors, and how to set up an ancestral shrine. I've used it as reference guide consistently over the years.
Shanali
Mar 15, 2008 Shanali rated it really liked it
Tobe really captures some of my own practices and views experienced while practicing my religion. She also explains a few of the essential Patakis/Stories that make the base of our spiritual beliefs. A must read for Orisa initiates.
Stephanie Sorensen
Jan 03, 2014 Stephanie Sorensen rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: Barrett D. Brown
As a beginning student, I found this book quite informative and well written. I learned a great deal and will probably re-read soon :)
Antoine Bandele
May 10, 2017 Antoine Bandele rated it it was amazing
Very easy prose to read, especially for someone not familiar with Yoruba and Ifa teachings outside the main Orisha. This book can get repetitive but it has a solid foundation for base knowledge. I read this more for research; but this book would especially benefit those who are looking to get in touch with their personal spirituality.
Dominick
Jul 18, 2011 Dominick rated it it was amazing
A must read for any devotee of an Orisha tradition and a good starter book for anyone who wants to learn about these traditions. The book is a good, in depth look at the theology and ethics of the Orisha traditions.
Donna Alleyne
Jan 05, 2016 Donna Alleyne rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Alejandra
Aug 19, 2009 Alejandra rated it it was amazing
learning!!
Nana Prah
Feb 07, 2015 Nana Prah rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a highly educational book. Helping to clarify some things about the spiritual journey the followers of Orisa undertake.
TW
Jul 14, 2011 TW rated it it was amazing
This is a very refreshing take on the factors that go into making a decision to pursue a spiritual path, Orisa or otherwise. I am grateful to the author and her spirit guides!
Isaac Holloway
Isaac Holloway rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
Dr. Barrett Dylan Brown, Phd rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2008
Beth Peart Weekes
Beth Peart Weekes rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Darla
Darla rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2017
Morrigan Aria
Morrigan Aria rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Julian  Cheek
Julian Cheek rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
AndinoStyles
AndinoStyles rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Dupsie Oriyomi
Dupsie Oriyomi rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
june woods
june woods rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
ndelamiko lord
ndelamiko lord rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2009
James
James rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
JD
JD rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Darasia Alaade Selby-Adebisi
Darasia Alaade Selby-Adebisi rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2010
Temitope Makinde
Temitope Makinde rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2008
CYNTHIA VELA
CYNTHIA VELA rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Bryan
Bryan rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Michael J.
Michael J. rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Shantay Robinson
Shantay Robinson rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2014
La Marr
La Marr rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Creole Religions of the Caribbean: An Introduction from Vodou and Santera to Obeah and Espiritismo
  • Ritual: Power, Healing and Community
  • The Haitian Vodou Handbook: Protocols for Riding with the Lwa
  • Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy
  • Conversations with Ogotemmêli: An Introduction to Dogon Religious Ideas
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • The Altar of My Soul: The Living Traditions of Santeria
  • The Egyptian Book of the Dead : The Book of Coming Forth by Day
  • The Accidental Santera: A Novel
  • The Great Initiates: A Study of the Secret History of Religions
  • The Sacred Ifa Oracle

“The Yoruba religion is the science of allowing God to flow through you, so that each breath becomes a prayer, and as God breathes, you breathe.” 0 likes