Start by marking “A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2)

A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea #2)

Torie O'Shea investigates the tangled roots of an ancient family tree.

Torie O'Shea-- genealogist and amateur sleuth-- is having a killer of a day. The town gossip spreads the word that her sweet wheelchair-bound mother is having an affair-- with the sheriff! Then quiet Marie Dijon is found dead at the foot of her basement stairs. Did she fall? Was she pushed? All Torie kno
Published May 15th 1998 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Veiled Antiquity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Veiled Antiquity

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark TwainThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainThe Glass Menagerie by Tennessee WilliamsEnemy Women by Paulette JilesGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Set in Missouri
61st out of 98 books — 50 voters
In the Blood by Steve  RobinsonThe Last Queen of England by Steve  RobinsonTo the Grave by Steve  RobinsonHiding the Past by Nathan Dylan GoodwinWhere's Merrill? a genealogical thriller by Gearoid O'Neary
Stories for Genealogists/Family Historians
51st out of 59 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Allison
Feb 17, 2015 Allison rated it liked it
The historical aspect was somewhat hard for me to follow, I got confused over who was related to who but overall enjoyed the book. Tory is a wonderful sleuth and her Mom is also great.
Dawn
Jul 18, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
A light and easy genealogical mystery. Although sometimes the language, especially in the beginning, is silly (Torie having long conversations with herself about nothing; her daughter running into a house in one sentence and the next she's suddenly back holding hands with Torie at the door, etc.), the characters are lovable and grow on you. The mystery is OK. Marie, a woman who had lived in New Kassel for 2 years, is found dead at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Was it an accident, or murder? ...more
Peg
Nov 14, 2011 Peg rated it liked it
Continuing on my path to try out books that include a genealogical theme. This is my second read in the Victoria O'Shea series written by Rett MacPherson.

I'm either getting more used to the concept of a genealogist running around chasing murderers, or this author put together a group of characters and venues that actually work. The stories are set in a charming little tourist town in Missouri, with characters requisite to a good small town and oddly similar to the one in which I grew up--the loc
Kristen
Nov 18, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
In the second installment of the Torie O'Shea Genealogical Mystery series by Rett MacPherson, Torie returned in A Veiled Antiquity. As an amateur sleuth and a genealogist, her dad couldn't get much worse. Gossip have been spread about her wheelchair-bound mother was having an affair with the local sheriff. In order to hush the local rumors, newly pregnant Torie ended up discovering the dead body of Marie Dijon in her own basement. Now it was up to Torie to discover the roots of Marie's family tr ...more
Mary
Oct 24, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
The last one of my grown-up Nancy Drew books. Maybe I will read more at some other time. Torie O'Shea, (Victory) genealogist and amateur sleuth, is having a killer of a day. The town gossip spreads the word that her sweet wheelchair-bound mother is having an affair--with the sheriff? Then quiet Marie Dijon is found dead at the foot of her basement stairs. Did she fall? Was she pushed. Torie sets out to answer all of the questions and of course finds the solutions to all of the town's problems. I ...more
Kathryn
Jan 03, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was ok
MacPherson writes chatty mysteries set in a quaint Missouri town overlooking the Mississippi River. Amateur sleuth Victory "Torie" O'Shea works for the local history society as a researcher and tour guide.

Amazon recommended this series to me several years ago. The first book, Family Skeletons, wasn't all that great but when I found a cheap used copy of the second book I decided to give MacPherson another look. I won't make that mistake again but, if you enjoyed Nancy Drew as a child, you might e
Heather
Jun 24, 2013 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookclub
I did not read the first installment of this series. This was a library book club chosen book. I like to think that it expands my boarders. I will read something that I would of not picked up on my own.

This reminded me of a cross between Joann Fluke and Debbie Macomber novel.

I have a hard time with Genealogy in the first place. I was quite bored reading this book. Not much really happens at all. It was mostly a lot of small town drama. Although Camille was a surprise. But she was acting so wei
Kristin
Jun 24, 2015 Kristin rated it it was amazing
For me, this series is a personal favorite for a lot of biased reasons. The setting is a fictionalized version of a small town in Missouri that isn't far from where I live. The humor suits me. The fierce town-historian turned sleuth wears things like, "my bright orange sweatshirt with the white ghosts and black cats on it" while going to confront a potential killer. Our heroine is pretty much everything my 10-year-old self would have loved to be. If I'm being technical, then yes, I felt there we ...more
Michelle
Jan 21, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I really enjoy the Tori O'Shea mysteries. Ms MacPherson always includes a lot of history and geneology with the mystery usually rooted in the history. Fans of the Da Vinci code would enjoy this book.
Leslie
Dec 03, 2008 Leslie rated it liked it
This outing in the Tori O'Shea mystery series was a little too complicated for my taste. I thought of Davinci Code as I read it, though it wasn't nearly That convoluted. This is the second in the series, and it wasn't the best, in my opinion. Still, it was a fun read and didn't involve too much concentration. I love the relationships in these books. All the townspeople and her family are people you'd want around you. I can always visualize people we've known.
Charley J
Jul 16, 2016 Charley J rated it liked it
Shelves: genealogy
I'm not sure why, but this is the second genealogy-thriller author who places their story in or around New Orleans and along the Mississippi. But I do like the descriptions of the people and area in addition to the history that is involved, so maybe it is that history which draws the authors to use this backdrop.
I enjoyed the book, with its twists and turns, not to mention the colorful characters.
Susan
Jan 18, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-missouri
Despite a rather unsatisfactory ending, this historical/genealogical mystery, second in a series, is delightful. Torie O'Shea helps at the New Kassel historical society and does genealogical and historical research, when she's not dealing with her rambunctious family. When a local woman dies in a fall, Torie finds herself in the woman's house and raises questions about how accidental it was.
Patty
Jan 24, 2010 Patty rated it really liked it
I like Torie and her family and friends and I really like the combining of genealogy with a mystery so yes, I enjoyed this book.

It was a bit far-fetched, bringing in The Man in the Iron Mask, French royalty and long lost treasure but it was a lot of fun to read. Oh, and Torie is starting to come to terms with her Mom's new beau, the Sheriff!

I'll keep going with this series.
Mary
Nov 27, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I found this Torie O'Shea entry very entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and all the shenanigans that revolved around it. I love Torie, her family and all the New Kassel denizens. The mystery was well thought out and complex enough to keep me guessing. I read this entry out of order but it didn't seem to matter one bit. Recommended.
Martha Valasek
Jul 22, 2013 Martha Valasek rated it really liked it
This is a sequel with many of the same characters from the town of New Kassel, MO. This is a new book in the series of a historian who helps the police in town solve murders. In spite of the one who is found dead, there is humor among the incidences and characters. A pleasant summer read!
Diane Heath
Oct 11, 2013 Diane Heath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is the second book in the Tory O'Shea series. I am enjoying getting these backstories on the town of New Kassel. The first Tory O'Shea book I read was book #5 (Killing Cousins). This particular story is about the death of a neighbor of Tory's and the discovery of some mysterious documents.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Average little cozy mystery featuring Torie O'Shea. As usual, nosy Torie involves herself in what appears to be an accidental death of Marie Djion. However, Marie's family tree and old French documents lead Torie to believe Marie was murdered.
Susan
Dec 04, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
Although Torie neglects her children a little too much for my taste, I liked her and the other characters in the story. The mystery was good and the action was well-paced. I'll look for more in this series.
Patti Sandberg
Jan 02, 2016 Patti Sandberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful Mystery

Rett Macpherson is a talented story teller. Her characters are unique and well developed. The mystery kept me entertained and puzzling to the very end.
Kay
May 19, 2011 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another reviewer called it her grownup Nancy Drew series and I love the comparison. I love mysteries and I love genealogy and I really enjoy the combination in these books.
Nora
Aug 27, 2013 Nora rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
So far pretty much like the first one... A nice little mystery that is a quick read. Definitely great if you want to read something but are short on time.
Charliece
Feb 17, 2008 Charliece rated it really liked it
How many books are there about genealogists? This series combines mystery and family history in stories that don't always have a murder to solve.
Debra
Sep 13, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, genealogy
Another genealogical mystery, this one involving French aristocracy and a hidden treasure believed to be hidden right there in New Kassel, Missouri!
Linda
Jun 27, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
This was a good story that kept me guessing. The one thing I had some trouble with was keeping all the characters straight.
Carolyn Tassie
Sep 23, 2012 Carolyn Tassie rated it liked it
Another good read in the Torie O'Shea series. My third and I'll keep reading about the characters and mysteries in New Kassel.
Susan Kelley
Another fun book from MacPherson. As a fellow genealogist, I find her little family mysteries fascinating!
Carolyn
Oct 02, 2008 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Goodreads description is way chessier than the book actually is. It's a fun little mystery.
Rebecca
Mar 05, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Rebecca by: my mother
Shelves: rmr-project
Nicole
Feb 25, 2009 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I still find the main character annoying otherwise the story is well told.
J
Jan 13, 2012 J rated it really liked it
Fun mystery. Planning on reading more by this author.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 - A Veiled Antiquity 1 3 Jan 21, 2014 11:38AM
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • Bad Medicine
  • The Alpine Traitor (Emma Lord, #20)
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #2)
  • Plagued By Quilt (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #4)
  • An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Bloodline (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #2)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Death is in the Air (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Dealing in Murder (A Molly Doyle Mystery #1)
  • Maiden Rock (Claire Watkins, #6)
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri. She is the author of the popular Torie O'Shea mysteries and helped to pioneer the sub-genre of genealogical mysteries. She is also a bead and fabric artist and loves wineries, cemeteries, genealogy, history and of course, books.
More about Rett MacPherson...

Torie O'Shea (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)
  • A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4)
  • Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5)
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)
  • Dead Man Running (Torie O'Shea, #9)
  • Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)