Start by marking “No Longer and Not Yet: Stories” as Want to Read:
No Longer and Not Yet: Stories

No Longer and Not Yet: Stories

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  7 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The stories in No Longer and Not Yet look at the ways our lives are lived in the split seconds between what is no longer but is still not yet. Most take place on Manhattan s iconic Upper West Side, in the shops, hallways, and parks that reveal this well-known big city neighborhood for the tiny, even backwater village it more often resembles. An Upper West Sider herself, Jo ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Excelsior Editions/State University of New York Press (first published January 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about No Longer and Not Yet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Longer and Not Yet

Maria Lisella
Oct 12, 2014 Maria Lisella is currently reading it
I revisit the characters in Joanna Clapps Herman's No Longer and Not Yet, a series of short stories that take place in Italy and mostly on the Upper West Side of New York.
When Tess' husband Max thinks to himself, ..."he has come to understand in his life with Tess that ordinary women write their stories on the breezes of backyard fences, on the currents of telephones, in murmurs in dimly lit bedrooms, daring only to tell public stories with incisive subtlety in private but rarely the opposite..
Becky
Feb 05, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
In this interconnected series of stories, Joanna Clapps Herman illustrates the everyday. The pieces of life one might take for granted. The relationships all around us. Tess travels Italy with a new lover, Max. Back home, her friend Naomi makes a big life change. Olivia faces the loss of her brother. Upon their return, Max faces the reality of new love. Clapps Herman offers up a look at these characters and more, giving readers a glimpse into the stories that surround us.

All of the stories prog
Diane Coto
Jul 21, 2014 Diane Coto rated it liked it
Get your microscope; we’re about to look at the detail of various people in the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The primary characters are Max and Tess. The other characters are related or linked to them in various means. Some live in the same or adjacent building; some are friends and/or acquaintances. The stories take us on a journey spanning many years from the time Max and Tess meet to the point at which their son, Paul, is a teenager with ambitions of his own.

The title itself intrigues me. No
Vicki
Aug 07, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it
I’ve recently become a huge fan of short story collections, and this book is a great example of how good they can be.

This book is full of characters whose stories will transport you to the Upper West Side of Manhattan, and into their lives as if you were actually there. The author made sure of that with a writing style that brings the characters to life.

The stories are about friends and neighbors, mothers and sons, brothers and sisters. It’s about the people closest to us, people that you don’t
Amy
Apr 03, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Well I loved these stories and not just because Joanna is a former professor or a writing "whisperer". The stories plunge the reader into the world of the upper West Side of NYC, of Tess and Max, Olivia, David and Sage, Naomi, and Esther and the secondary characters that fill their lives. The neighborhood comes alive as well from the subways to the schools with the Hudson River flowing nearby. The writing is sublime; spare yet deliciously descriptive. My favorite lines are the first sentences ...more
Donna Miele
Sep 13, 2014 Donna Miele rated it it was amazing
A really lovely read, stories woven into a unified novel that I revisit frequently. This is a quiet, wise book that elevates everyday concerns to the pearls they are, gems sewn into the tapestry of memory. See my full review here: http://bit.ly/1peVc32
Sophia
Feb 04, 2015 Sophia rated it liked it
Didn't particularly like any of these characters to care about their travails. Author beautifully captures private everyday moments and the complexity of the emotions behind those moments.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Rita Ciresi
Rita Ciresi marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Erika Kimberly
Erika Kimberly marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Jenny Chou
Jenny Chou marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Rachel Berger
Rachel Berger marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Lorraine Coleman
Lorraine Coleman marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Cynthia Carr-Johnson
Cynthia Carr-Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016