Start by marking “I'll Tell You a Secret: a Memory of Seven Summers” as Want to Read:
I'll Tell You a Secret: a Memory of Seven Summers

I'll Tell You a Secret: a Memory of Seven Summers

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
“Memory opens for me through my body. I slip back because I catch a smell, hear a sound, or hold an evocative flavour on my tongue. But these single-sense glimpses of or gusts from the past are often fleeting. More compelling for me, more total, is when my whole body, the entire surface of my skin, and my muscles’ movements connect me to my old self. Especially it is the m ...more
Published September 7th 2004 by McClelland & Stewart (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Tell You a Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Tell You a Secret

Katie
Apr 06, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2004, women-writers
I read this in a pre-publication copy, passed on to me by my daughter, who got it from a panelist for the Governor-General's award. A memoir of the author's friendship with Hugh MacLennan, himself a winner of the G-G's award for The Precipice and The Watch That Ends the Night.

Estrellada's comment: "It's sort of early twenties-ish navel gazing, but well done navel gazing. While there are rose-coloured glasses involved, I'm sure, they don't completely obscure the view."

And mine: As a former reside
Margreet Heer
Sep 05, 2014 Margreet Heer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Formidable, is the word that sprang to mind after reading this book.
The young girl (the author herself) enters into a friendship with a formidable man, full of unspoken, fierce emotions.
The girl is formidable herself, often commenting on adult exasperation regarding her "famous unbendable will".
The author is formidable, subtly present in the book as a thoughtful narrator, picking apart fragile shreds of memory and psychology.

And the book itself is formidable, a tremendous feat, transcending my c
Barbara
Feb 17, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-reads
I read this book several years ago and could not put it down. I have kept the book as I know I will read it again. I have lent it out over the years but always with the request that the book comes back to me.
It is Anne Coleman's coming of age book. A memoir that doesn't leave you. Turning the last page you don't want it to end...you want to know what happens to Anne in her later years but I think that is the magic of this book....maybe you are not supposed to know...maybe just leaving the story
Liz
Aug 18, 2010 Liz rated it it was amazing
I stayed up late last night to read this book in one go. It's wonderfully written and just the kind of story I was looking for at the time, I really enjoyed it.
Alliereads
Jan 16, 2012 Alliereads rated it it was amazing
Fabulous writing. Loved this book. So well written, spare, precise, insightful. Wonderfl book.
Penrose
Penrose marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Dianne T
Dianne T rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Tracey
Tracey added it
Jul 02, 2015
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Haley
Haley rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Mallee Stanley
Mallee Stanley rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2014
Maral
Maral rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Carolyne
Carolyne rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Linnea
Linnea rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Biblionorth
Biblionorth rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Saleema Nawaz
Saleema Nawaz rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Debraconner
Debraconner rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
May 13, 2012
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Rayne Rache Rache
Rayne Rache Rache marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2012
Robert Pearson
Robert Pearson rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011