Start by marking “Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic, #1)

Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic #1)

Aubrey Fitzwilliam is the son of a prominent ex-prime minister. He's also brilliant at magic, but he's stuck at military school. At least he has his best friend, George, there to back him up. George would follow Aubrey anywhere - and with Aubrey's talent for thinking up impulsive and daring schemes that will get them both in trouble, that's no easy thing to do.
At a weeken
Published 2006 by Random House Australia

To ask other readers questions about Blaze of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze of Glory

Finally, I managed to finish this book! I'm quite busy for the pass few weeks and I cannot find a way to balance my reading between 4 books. I need to stop to be a polygamist reader...(~_~;)

So here's the review,

Blaze of Glory is set in a fictional world also the same during the victorian era plus with magic and science thus resulting a steampunk enviroment which I really adore. Add with political problems too!

We had Aubrey, George and Caroline as a main characters. The trio keeps remind me abou
Jun 14, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Here's one of those books that I discover on the occasion that is a little bit of a gem and yet no one I know has read it. Well no one except perhaps my mum as I did lend her the first book to read I believe. So I have come back - not from the grave of course - to write this review so those rare few who read my reviews will know to read it if it at all intrigues them.

This is book one in a YA series which is very well written (by an Australian I might as well mention). It is set in a world at onc
Jan 29, 2013 Soo rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Whoever heard of a hero named Aubrey? Is it terribly American of me to feel that it's a girl's name? Perhaps! I just looked up the origin of the name and Aubrey is a mutation of the name Alberich. The name means Fair Ruler of the Little People. I wonder if the author had that in mind when he picked out the name for the story? Intentional or not, it makes for a good start to an entertaining tale!

Aubrey Fitzwilliam has big shoes to fill. His family is from a titled lineage and both his parents ar
Teena R.
Look, it's totally readable. Plots are ok. Writing not bad, etc.

I'm willing to accept that an ex-prime minister/war hero's son with ambition to outdo his Da is not that unique a creation. But give him a Crown Prince cousin who is grave, thougthful, didn't really like the job but is awesome at it, a handsome best friend who looks dumb but so not, a draconian grandmom who's sooooo crazy about tradition, s head of secret service who's so bland, an explore
Caroline Eising
Feb 19, 2011 Caroline Eising rated it really liked it
I picked up this book on a whim at the Lifeline bookfest, not sure what to expect.

Think alternate history England in the late 1800's, where the sufragette movement is beginning to have impact, industrial technology is developing, and magic is an everyday part of life. Alongside the army and the secret services, the Magisterium serves as a kind of magical government department. Magically enhances machinery works alongside more traditional technology. And a part of the population has the ability t
Clare Cannon
Nov 19, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 13-15yrs
Complex and dense magic so not for younger readers, and has quite a lot of male teenage attitude, a good dose of contemporary rawness (roughness) in letting you know what the boys are thinking - it's not all edifying. Probably readable for older teens who won't take it all too seriously and who already have better things going around in their heads (I'm sure they can do better than the protagonist of this book), but then again there are plenty of books that are better so why waste your time.
Melody Violine
Dec 13, 2010 Melody Violine rated it it was amazing
Di ambang ajalnya, Aubrey berusaha menyingkap pelaku kejahatan yang mengancam kedamaian Kerajaan Albion...

Apa yang akan kau lakukan kalau menjadi Aubrey Fitzwilliam, putra tunggal dari mantan perdana menteri yang disegani? Semua orang menaruh harapan tinggi padanya, sekaligus menantinya jatuh supaya mereka bisa mencemari nama baik ayahnya. Aubrey pun berusaha memenuhi harapan itu dengan mencetak prestasi yang luar biasa di sekolah, tapi sebuah kecelakaan sihir hampir menjungkir segalanya.

Sejak k
Dion Yulianto
May 28, 2013 Dion Yulianto rated it liked it
Di masa Aubrey William, sihir adalah penjabaran dari hukum-hukum Fisika yang diikat oleh mantra-mantra yang sesuai dengan parameter yang telah ditentukan sehingga efek dan batasnya dapat dikendalikan dan diarahkan. Rumitmemang, namun itulah konsekuensi dari diterimanya sihir sebagai sesuatu yang dapat berdamai dengan ilmu pengetahuan, setelah penggunaannya yang kejam dan hitam di abad pertengahan. Inilah sihir versi termutakhir yang ditawarkan dalam novel seri The Law of Magic; Blaze of Glory k ...more
Mar 24, 2011 Vicky rated it it was ok
Blurb: There’s a magical and political storm brewing and Aubrey Fitzwilliam is making sure he’s at the center of it. Aubrey is the son of a prominent ex-prime mininster. He’s also brilliant at magic, but he’s stuck at school. Aubrey is also brilliant at dreaming up schemes to get him and his best friend, George, into trouble. A botched magical experiment kills him, though he manages to come back, but only partially. Throughout all the political intrigue going on in the book, this line keeps crop ...more
Kathryn Wilson
May 05, 2012 Kathryn Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: it-was-good
Loved the style, loved the setting, loved the spunky characters. Unfortunately, this was a little slow.

However, this is a YA Fantasy/Steampunk type novel that is cleverly written, and just works. Even though it got things off to a slow start, I will be reading the next in the series. It features a young magician in an English-esque magic-meets-technology world that feels Victorian. He must uncover the truth about mysterious goings-on that may affect the Crown Prince and his successful father's p
Selina Ryan
Oct 13, 2011 Selina Ryan rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story, however found it a little had to get into at first. Elaborate descriptions and a high level of language makes this book suitable for a higher level reader who would like to improve their vocabulary.
May 10, 2011 Eva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: interesting-much

Satu hal soal novel ini menurut gue... it's hilarious! Percayalah!
Gue memberi acungan jempol pada keputusan si pengarang menjadikan Aubrey sebagai karakter yang rada2 pin-pin bo, agak songong dan suka ngatur2 (mengingat dia seorang bangsawan), serta lebih sering kali... lebayyyy!! Mungkin ada beberapa pembaca yang mendapati Aubrey sangat menyebalkan, tapi hey... he can be freaking funny you know! Kapan lagi lo ngebaca soal penyihir cowok yang ambisius tapi gagal menjalankan ambisinya
Jan 06, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Let me start off by saying that I really didn't think I would like this book. I am quite vocal of my dislike of Steampunk. I just don't really get it. It's pretty yes, but I don't get the concept, and I don't get why it's such a big thing. I mean seriously, if their technology is that good why are they still running off steam etc?? It make no logical sense, but end rant.

This book frustrated me and intrigued me in equal parts. As far as the steampunkiness, I was pretty able to pretend it wasn't t
Dec 20, 2014 Aelvana rated it really liked it
Aubrey Fitzwillilam has ambition, intelligence, and ability in spades, as well as the sort of problem that can only come about through supreme misjudgement: technically, he's dead. Desperate to recover---if recovery is even possible---he's hunting down every faint possibility and slight hint. But he's got more than himself to worry about, as magical assassins, intrigues with Holmland, his father's re-election campaign, and the remarkable Caroline Hepworth are all competing for his attention.

I'm honestly not sure you can top that for an attention-grabbing first line.

This book became a casualty of the stress of the beginning of the year, and then of the 50 Books PoC challenge. So I'm very glad that I got back to it and finished it off over Easter weekend.

Michael Pryor is an Australian fantasy author, with a long shelf of books to his name. I'm not sure all of his books are entirely to my taste, bu
Vampress Bathory
Dec 08, 2015 Vampress Bathory rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Definitely a complex story which is not for young readers ( in my opinion you have to be over 13 years old in order to read it), a story with mild philosphical touches, really good quotes ( i found myself taking notes), extremely original and interesting story and very well developed characters!
In this book we find a new, fresh perspective on magic - here performing magic is not that easy, you don't just wave your wand and say some word and that's it! No. Here, performing Magi
May 10, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aubrey Fitzwilliam hated being dead. It made things much harder than they needed to be. How's that for an opening line?

I picked up this book for $5 from my local bookshop, with no real expectations. I figured that if it was $5, it couldn't be that good. Boy, was I wrong. Blaze of Glory is a terrific beginning to this series, and I can't wait to continue reading the rest of The Laws of Magic books.

Despite the constant mentions of the word on Goodreads, this book doesn't really fit into the catego
Abduraafi Andrian
It's so magic!
Saya suka dengan buku ini. Banyak hal tentang sihir yang saya baru tahu di buku ini. Terutama tentang pembuatan sihir yang meliputi bahasa, pengucapan, hukum-hukum dan masih banyak unsur lainnya dalam pembuatan mantra.
Tidak hanya sihir, buku ini juga menceritakan tentang perselisihan politik dalam negara. Kita diajak untuk mengetahui cara-cara dan trik untuk menggapai sukses dalam berpolitik. Selain itu, kita juga diajak betapa rumit dan liciknya agar suatu keinginan diri sendiri m
May 26, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: treasured, own, signed
This book was another of my ‘purchase on a whim’ books, as even though I had met the author, I had never read any of his previous works. I decided that I might as well give it a go... Two days later I came to the conclusion that I thoroughly loved it. It fascinated me from the very first sentence and fuelled my desire to read the book.

Following the story of Aubrey Fitzwilliam, son to a prominent public figure and wealthy family lineage, the story weaves about his life from when he dabbled in th
Mar 19, 2014 Kairii rated it liked it
First time writing a review. It might not make much sense. Here I go.

First thing first, I haven't finished the series (at book 5), but I feel like I've read it forever . Slow paced might be an underestimate.

There are lots of plots and sub-plots (I suppose that's what the author is going for), but it doesn't feel as cleverly done as it makes itself out to be. In the end, I wound up screaming internally at Aubrey to actually realise something blatantly obvious (though, this happens a lot.)

Full of fun and interest, but just a little bit too glib and easy for my tastes - or perhaps a little too smugly boys-own British. Our hero, Aubrey Fitzwilliam, is a child of privilege - son of a politician and former peer, talented in multiple areas, and enjoying the stalwart support of a best friend with complementary skills. While his life is made slightly troublesome by a small matter of being dead (not a spoiler: that's revealed in the first line of the book) his derring-do adventures are o ...more
Set in Albion (a country inspired by Victorian-era England), Blaze of Glory is a wonderful blend of magic, technology, intrigue and entertainment. Aubrey Fitzwilliam is ambitious, intelligent, determined and a little bit arrogant. Combined with his natural aptitude for magic, these traits always manage to get Aubrey and his best friend George into some interesting and dangerous situations.

After foiling an attempted assassination of the Crown Prince, Aubrey can’t resist investigating further, le
Oct 04, 2016 Graylark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 3-5-stars
This 6-book series was a fun read, though completely not what I expected.

The description makes it sound like some sort of Harry Potter-type YA fantasy. It's actually written as a proper grown up fantasy. Very little time is spent at the school, and Aubrey very quickly graduates and moves on to greater things. The writing style is very British, a bit formal, and has a wickedly dry wit to it.

Aubrey is a treat to read about. He's such a fascinating character--brilliant, manipulative, heroic, slig
Sep 11, 2016 George rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I was entranced by a completely different kind of magic.
Mar 24, 2015 Connie rated it liked it
Aubrey Fitzwilliam's dad was the Prime Minister of Albion, and Aubrey is forever trying to live up to the title of Sir Darius's son. Unfortunately, he has a talent for finding trouble and a gift for getting out of it. Luckily, he has his best friend George along for this crazy magical ride. At a royal hunting party they save the prince from a magical assassin. Of course, Aubrey doesn't stop there, he has to track down who is behind the magical death threat.

Aubrey was an uneven character. He star
Oct 25, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a bit of a twist
Recommended to Tara by: no one
I really enjoyed this book.
It didn't seem a little bit boring to me at all.
Not to mention, it is set in my favourite era.

Another good point is the author didn't make his lead character perfect or even close. In fact he's the opposite, and he's falling to bits. Almost literally.
He has a really loyal friend, who sticks up for him like any decent friend would. His father's the prime minister of Albion (England) and he struggles to live up to his family name.
He meets a charming girl who is far too
Camille Stanford
Oct 05, 2013 Camille Stanford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wizards
Aubrey is a smart, but reckless magician and son of the country's Prime Minister. He nearly loses his life in an experimental spell, and has to be extremely careful with his magic afterwords or risk finishing himself off. Add to that an ambitious and brilliant magician who attempts to kill the prince, and Aubrey and his loyal friend George are drawn in by the danger and intrigue. Aubrey just can't help himself.

Just a few comments: I loved the characters Aubrey and George; I was a little nervous
The book follows Aubrey a character with a talent for sticking his most into things too big for him and getting into trouble. Following him as he goes on a royal shooting party and uncovers an assassination attempt and much more.

As a main character he can be a little pompous and annoying but overall likeable and you find yourself rooting for him and liking the people he surrounds himself with.

The world he lives in seems to be a magical Edwardian steampunk concoction and you never quite know what
Jul 31, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, teenage
Volume 1 of a series about Aubrey, a teen with an ability in magic. Because of an experiment that went wrong, Aubrey hovers on the edge of death and has to marshall his physical, mental and magical abilities to prevent death from claiming him. He is helped in this by his school friend George, who is addicted to reading agony columns in the papers. They become embroiled in a plot to kill the heir to the throne, which they foil with the help of Caroline, a young lady with suffragette sympathies.
Dec 29, 2011 Sally rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, magic
"Aubrey," George said, exasperated, "when do you find the time to do all these things?"

"Hmm? Time?" Aubrey looked back to the newspaper. "I invented the seventy-minute hour, George. I get more done that way."

I loved the dialogue between Aubrey and George :D However, that was pretty much it... I managed to read all the pages here, but by midway I was totally skimming over them. I don't know why, because I did love the writing. I just couldn't wholly get into the story itself, sigh!
Who's Your Author?: March YA BOM: Blaze of Glory 1 11 Feb 28, 2013 09:56PM
is it good? 3 23 Sep 19, 2009 09:39PM
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Skyfall (Darklands, #2)
  • The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #1)
  • Tales from the Half-Continent (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3.5)
  • The House of War and Witness
  • The Emperor of all Things (Daniel Quare #1)
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • The Starthorn Tree
  • Mortal Fire
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • How to Catch a Bogle (City of Orphans, #1)
  • Liberator (Worldshaker, #2)
  • The Battle for Rondo (Rondo, #3)
  • The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
  • Unfamiliar Magic
  • Eliza's Shadow
  • The Book of Lies
  • The Seventh Tower (The Seventh Tower omnibus, #4-6)
Michael Pryor's bio

I was born in Swan Hill, Victoria. I spent my childhood in country Victoria and Melbourne before moving to Geelong at the age of 10. I lived in Geelong until I went to university in Melbourne after secondary school.

I currently live in Melbourne with my wife Wendy and my two daughters Celeste and Ruby. I’ve worked as a drainer’s labourer, a truck driver, a bathroom accessories s
More about Michael Pryor...

The Laws of Magic (6 books)
  • Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic, #2)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Time of Trial (The Laws of Magic, #4)
  • Moment of Truth (The Laws of Magic, #5)
  • Hour of Need (The Laws of Magic, #6)

“Aubrey Fitzwilliam hated being dead. It made things much harder than they needed to be.” 6 likes
“Inilah perbedaan di sebuah kode dan sandi rahasia. Kode adalah komunikasi rahasia di mana sebuah kata atau frase diganti dengan kata lain, simbol, atau angka. Sandi rahasia jauh lebih elegan dan lebih lentur. Sebuah sandi rahasia mengubah huruf-huruf daripada kata-kata.” 2 likes