Start by marking “Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic, #1)

Blaze of Glory (The Laws of Magic #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  669 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Aubrey Fitzwilliam is the son of a prominent ex-prime minister. He's also brilliant at magic, but he's stuck at military school. At least he has his best friend, George, there to back him up. George would follow Aubrey anywhere - and with Aubrey's talent for thinking up impulsive and daring schemes that will get them both in trouble, that's no easy thing to do.
At a weeken
Published (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blaze of Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blaze of Glory

Jonathan
Here's one of those books that I discover on the occasion that is a little bit of a gem and yet no one I know has read it. Well no one except perhaps my mum as I did lend her the first book to read I believe. So I have come back - not from the grave of course - to write this review so those rare few who read my reviews will know to read it if it at all intrigues them.

This is book one in a YA series which is very well written (by an Australian I might as well mention). It is set in a world at onc
Soo
Whoever heard of a hero named Aubrey? Is it terribly American of me to feel that it's a girl's name? Perhaps! I just looked up the origin of the name and Aubrey is a mutation of the name Alberich. The name means Fair Ruler of the Little People. I wonder if the author had that in mind when he picked out the name for the story? Intentional or not, it makes for a good start to an entertaining tale!

Aubrey Fitzwilliam has big shoes to fill. His family is from a titled lineage and both his parents ar
Clare Cannon
Complex and dense magic so not for younger readers, and has quite a lot of male teenage attitude, a good dose of contemporary rawness (roughness) in letting you know what the boys are thinking - it's not all edifying. Probably readable for older teens who won't take it all too seriously and who already have better things going around in their heads (I'm sure they can do better than the protagonist of this book), but then again there are plenty of books that are better so why waste your time.
Vicky
Blurb: There’s a magical and political storm brewing and Aubrey Fitzwilliam is making sure he’s at the center of it. Aubrey is the son of a prominent ex-prime mininster. He’s also brilliant at magic, but he’s stuck at school. Aubrey is also brilliant at dreaming up schemes to get him and his best friend, George, into trouble. A botched magical experiment kills him, though he manages to come back, but only partially. Throughout all the political intrigue going on in the book, this line keeps crop ...more
Melody Violine
Di ambang ajalnya, Aubrey berusaha menyingkap pelaku kejahatan yang mengancam kedamaian Kerajaan Albion...

Apa yang akan kau lakukan kalau menjadi Aubrey Fitzwilliam, putra tunggal dari mantan perdana menteri yang disegani? Semua orang menaruh harapan tinggi padanya, sekaligus menantinya jatuh supaya mereka bisa mencemari nama baik ayahnya. Aubrey pun berusaha memenuhi harapan itu dengan mencetak prestasi yang luar biasa di sekolah, tapi sebuah kecelakaan sihir hampir menjungkir segalanya.

Sejak k
Trowzers
I picked up this book on a whim at the Lifeline bookfest, not sure what to expect.

Think alternate history England in the late 1800's, where the sufragette movement is beginning to have impact, industrial technology is developing, and magic is an everyday part of life. Alongside the army and the secret services, the Magisterium serves as a kind of magical government department. Magically enhances machinery works alongside more traditional technology. And a part of the population has the ability t
Teena R.
Look, it's totally readable. Plots are ok. Writing not bad, etc.

BUT THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MILES VORKOSIGAN.

I'm willing to accept that an ex-prime minister/war hero's son with ambition to outdo his Da is not that unique a creation. But give him a Crown Prince cousin who is grave, thougthful, didn't really like the job but is awesome at it, a handsome best friend who looks dumb but so not, a draconian grandmom who's sooooo crazy about tradition, s head of secret service who's so bland, an explore
Kathryn Wilson
Loved the style, loved the setting, loved the spunky characters. Unfortunately, this was a little slow.

However, this is a YA Fantasy/Steampunk type novel that is cleverly written, and just works. Even though it got things off to a slow start, I will be reading the next in the series. It features a young magician in an English-esque magic-meets-technology world that feels Victorian. He must uncover the truth about mysterious goings-on that may affect the Crown Prince and his successful father's p
Aelvana
Aubrey Fitzwillilam has ambition, intelligence, and ability in spades, as well as the sort of problem that can only come about through supreme misjudgement: technically, he's dead. Desperate to recover---if recovery is even possible---he's hunting down every faint possibility and slight hint. But he's got more than himself to worry about, as magical assassins, intrigues with Holmland, his father's re-election campaign, and the remarkable Caroline Hepworth are all competing for his attention.

Aubr
Vampress Bathory
I love this book! Definitely a complex story which is not for young readers ( in my opinion you have to be over 13 years old in order to read it), a story with mild philosphical touches, really good quotes ( i found myself taking notes), extremely original and interesting story and very well developed characters!
In this book we find a new, fresh perspective on magic - here performing magic is not that easy, you don't just wave your wand and say some word and that's it! No. Here, performing Magi
Kairii
First time writing a review. It might not make much sense. Here I go.

First thing first, I haven't finished the series (at book 5), but I feel like I've read it forever . Slow paced might be an underestimate.

There are lots of plots and sub-plots (I suppose that's what the author is going for), but it doesn't feel as cleverly done as it makes itself out to be. In the end, I wound up screaming internally at Aubrey to actually realise something blatantly obvious (though, this happens a lot.)

Contrary
Selina Ryan
I really enjoyed this story, however found it a little had to get into at first. Elaborate descriptions and a high level of language makes this book suitable for a higher level reader who would like to improve their vocabulary.
Angela
Really love this book. I find that I love this book more than Harry Potter because it was mature and childish at the same time. I always have soft spot for fantasy book who can make the wonderful story and full of imagination at the same time.

Unfortunately, my local publisher only sold the first serie. But, I think I will buy the next series via Book Depository or Better World Book. I can easily buy it cheaper via ebook. But, I love it so much that I'm willing to buy the printed book. Cannot wa
Emma
The book follows Aubrey a character with a talent for sticking his most into things too big for him and getting into trouble. Following him as he goes on a royal shooting party and uncovers an assassination attempt and much more.

As a main character he can be a little pompous and annoying but overall likeable and you find yourself rooting for him and liking the people he surrounds himself with.

The world he lives in seems to be a magical Edwardian steampunk concoction and you never quite know what
Aubrey Fitzwilliam hated being dead. It made things much harder than they needed to be. How's that for an opening line?

I picked up this book for $5 from my local bookshop, with no real expectations. I figured that if it was $5, it couldn't be that good. Boy, was I wrong. Blaze of Glory is a terrific beginning to this series, and I can't wait to continue reading the rest of The Laws of Magic books.

Despite the constant mentions of the word on Goodreads, this book doesn't really fit into the catego
Eva
Awesomeeee!!

Satu hal soal novel ini menurut gue... it's hilarious! Percayalah!
Gue memberi acungan jempol pada keputusan si pengarang menjadikan Aubrey sebagai karakter yang rada2 pin-pin bo, agak songong dan suka ngatur2 (mengingat dia seorang bangsawan), serta lebih sering kali... lebayyyy!! Mungkin ada beberapa pembaca yang mendapati Aubrey sangat menyebalkan, tapi hey... he can be freaking funny you know! Kapan lagi lo ngebaca soal penyihir cowok yang ambisius tapi gagal menjalankan ambisinya
Shannon
Let me start off by saying that I really didn't think I would like this book. I am quite vocal of my dislike of Steampunk. I just don't really get it. It's pretty yes, but I don't get the concept, and I don't get why it's such a big thing. I mean seriously, if their technology is that good why are they still running off steam etc?? It make no logical sense, but end rant.

This book frustrated me and intrigued me in equal parts. As far as the steampunkiness, I was pretty able to pretend it wasn't t
Dion Yulianto
Di masa Aubrey William, sihir adalah penjabaran dari hukum-hukum Fisika yang diikat oleh mantra-mantra yang sesuai dengan parameter yang telah ditentukan sehingga efek dan batasnya dapat dikendalikan dan diarahkan. Rumitmemang, namun itulah konsekuensi dari diterimanya sihir sebagai sesuatu yang dapat berdamai dengan ilmu pengetahuan, setelah penggunaannya yang kejam dan hitam di abad pertengahan. Inilah sihir versi termutakhir yang ditawarkan dalam novel seri The Law of Magic; Blaze of Glory k ...more
Abduraafi Andrian
It's so magic!
Saya suka dengan buku ini. Banyak hal tentang sihir yang saya baru tahu di buku ini. Terutama tentang pembuatan sihir yang meliputi bahasa, pengucapan, hukum-hukum dan masih banyak unsur lainnya dalam pembuatan mantra.
Tidak hanya sihir, buku ini juga menceritakan tentang perselisihan politik dalam negara. Kita diajak untuk mengetahui cara-cara dan trik untuk menggapai sukses dalam berpolitik. Selain itu, kita juga diajak betapa rumit dan liciknya agar suatu keinginan diri sendiri m
Charlie
Set in Albion (a country inspired by Victorian-era England), Blaze of Glory is a wonderful blend of magic, technology, intrigue and entertainment. Aubrey Fitzwilliam is ambitious, intelligent, determined and a little bit arrogant. Combined with his natural aptitude for magic, these traits always manage to get Aubrey and his best friend George into some interesting and dangerous situations.

After foiling an attempted assassination of the Crown Prince, Aubrey can’t resist investigating further, le
Kate
This book was another of my ‘purchase on a whim’ books, as even though I had met the author, I had never read any of his previous works. I decided that I might as well give it a go... Two days later I came to the conclusion that I thoroughly loved it. It fascinated me from the very first sentence and fuelled my desire to read the book.

Following the story of Aubrey Fitzwilliam, son to a prominent public figure and wealthy family lineage, the story weaves about his life from when he dabbled in th
Heidi

I'm honestly not sure you can top that for an attention-grabbing first line.

This book became a casualty of the stress of the beginning of the year, and then of the 50 Books PoC challenge. So I'm very glad that I got back to it and finished it off over Easter weekend.

Michael Pryor is an Australian fantasy author, with a long shelf of books to his name. I'm not sure all of his books are entirely to my taste, bu
Octochutney
I recently met the author of this book (he came to my school). He has really great ideas and an amazing way to inspire kids to want to write/read books. I now want to write a steampunk novel myself (but I know that probably won't happen). I haven't actually read any of his books (including this one) but I just wanted to give Michael Pryor a quick shout out because he is a really funny and interesting man. :) :) :) :)
Tara
Oct 25, 2008 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a bit of a twist
Recommended to Tara by: no one
I really enjoyed this book.
It didn't seem a little bit boring to me at all.
Not to mention, it is set in my favourite era.

Another good point is the author didn't make his lead character perfect or even close. In fact he's the opposite, and he's falling to bits. Almost literally.
He has a really loyal friend, who sticks up for him like any decent friend would. His father's the prime minister of Albion (England) and he struggles to live up to his family name.
He meets a charming girl who is far too
Ellie

A really interesting and well-written book. The Laws of Magic were fascinating and had obviously been well thought out. The setting was well portrayed and I loved the main characters. Interestingly enough, I thought the book had quite a few similarities to Sherlock Holmes (which I enjoyed).
I would recommend this to people interested in fantasy, mystery, historical fiction or mystery.
Camille
Aubrey is a smart, but reckless magician and son of the country's Prime Minister. He nearly loses his life in an experimental spell, and has to be extremely careful with his magic afterwords or risk finishing himself off. Add to that an ambitious and brilliant magician who attempts to kill the prince, and Aubrey and his loyal friend George are drawn in by the danger and intrigue. Aubrey just can't help himself.

Just a few comments: I loved the characters Aubrey and George; I was a little nervous
Bethany
An entertaining read that was much better than I thought it would be. Writing's not anything to special but it doesn't seriously detract from the story. A funny book.
Lisa Kizer
The last 100 pages were very contrite. As if the author was forcing a way to end the book without ending the story. Lots of convenient plot twists. Though I wonder why the main character Aubrey did not use the magic Law of Sympathy to locate his father? Not going the read the rest of the series.
Paul Torres
This series is completely awesome. It is entirely clean and full of Victorian hijinks. The world is a slightly Castle Falkenstein one, but more Steampunk with a touch of magic thrown in. The author uses slightly less common or made up names for the countries to delineate it from our world. Albion for England, Gallita for France, and Holmland for Germany/Prussia. I find the character interactions to be well written, and not confusing or frustrating. There is a touch of frustrated romance that is ...more
Jen
Volume 1 of a series about Aubrey, a teen with an ability in magic. Because of an experiment that went wrong, Aubrey hovers on the edge of death and has to marshall his physical, mental and magical abilities to prevent death from claiming him. He is helped in this by his school friend George, who is addicted to reading agony columns in the papers. They become embroiled in a plot to kill the heir to the throne, which they foil with the help of Caroline, a young lady with suffragette sympathies.
Who's Your Author?: March YA BOM: Blaze of Glory 1 11 Feb 28, 2013 09:56PM
is it good? 3 20 Sep 19, 2009 09:39PM
  • Nightpeople (Darklands, #1)
  • Song of the Slums
  • The Museum of Mary Child
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • The Battle for Rondo (Rondo, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Alyzon Whitestarr
  • Master of the Books
  • The Life of a Teenage Body-Snatcher
  • Factotum (Monster Blood Tattoo, #3)
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • How to Catch a Bogle (Bogle #1)
  • Razorhurst
  • Chasing Odysseus (Hero Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ropemaker (The Ropemaker, #1)
Michael Pryor's bio

I was born in Swan Hill, Victoria. I spent my childhood in country Victoria and Melbourne before moving to Geelong at the age of 10. I lived in Geelong until I went to university in Melbourne after secondary school.

I currently live in Melbourne with my wife Wendy and my two daughters Celeste and Ruby. I’ve worked as a drainer’s labourer, a truck driver, a bathroom accessories s
More about Michael Pryor...
Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic, #2) Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3) Time of Trial (The Laws of Magic, #4) Moment of Truth (The Laws of Magic, #5) Hour of Need (The Laws of Magic, #6)

“Aubrey Fitzwilliam hated being dead. It made things much harder than they needed to be.” 6 likes
“Inilah perbedaan di sebuah kode dan sandi rahasia. Kode adalah komunikasi rahasia di mana sebuah kata atau frase diganti dengan kata lain, simbol, atau angka. Sandi rahasia jauh lebih elegan dan lebih lentur. Sebuah sandi rahasia mengubah huruf-huruf daripada kata-kata.” 2 likes