Start by marking “The Mystery of the Castaway Children (Trixie Belden #21)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Castaway Children (Trixie Belden #21)

The Mystery of the Castaway Children (Trixie Belden #21)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  542 ratings  ·  16 reviews
# 21 in the Trixie Belden series. Mystery/Detective novel for young adults.
Published September 1st 1978 by Golden Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Castaway Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Castaway Children

The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn KennyThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Marshland Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Golden Press Paperback
18th out of 34 books — 6 voters
The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Gatehouse Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Series
27th out of 39 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill
May 05, 2012 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: belden
getting rid of the Dodge. Kids interpret words differently than grown ups, especially if their vocabulary is not fully formed yet. This is a book that looks at that difference with the appearance of two kids in Trixie's neighborhood. It's an enjoyable book.
Naomi
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer and pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1978.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story - as the teens are give...more
Kelly
Someone needs to report Peter Belden for ethics violations. The story opens with Mr. Belden telling his wife about the Dodge family, who recently lost their home and possessions. Should he really be talking about the financial affairs of his customers? I think not.

Trixie and Bobby discover an abandoned baby in Reddy's doghouse and Sergeant Molinson aks for the Belden-Wheeler Detective Agency's help in cracking the case. They locate the baby's parents and discover there is still a missing child i...more
Laurel
This story was amazingly well written for a children's series. I enjoy reading children's books to relax, so I was delighted to read about how a neighborhood responded to an abandoned baby. I re-read it immediately.

The only weakness was the element of crime with a teenager, Trixie Belden, outsmarting adults, which was part of most series at the time. [Belden is the correct spelling of the character's name.:] Kathryn Kenny is a fictional author whose name is the closest possible to the equally f...more
Mark Baker
When the Belden family find a baby in their doghouse, it sets Trixie off on another mystery. Who is the baby? And why would someone leave him in the doghouse? This is a great entry in the second half of the series since it gives all the main characters a part to play and develops one of the secondary characters.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Tacey
Possibly my absolute, very favorite Trixie: for the touching story of a desperate family, children's logic, and the solid and sensitive writing of the ghost writer, said to be Gladys Baker Bond. Bond shows us Helen Belsen's emotions when she tears up over her eldest son "growing up so fast.". Rereading this as a mom has stirred emotions I am sure I did not feel at my first go.
Meghan
The Kathryn Kenny Trixies are a bit hit or miss, but this one was really, really miss. The amount of baby-related glurge, put in the mouths of absolutely everyone from Bobby on up, is completely inexplicable.

Oh well; I would have been much more disappointed if I had found this one when I was younger.
Bonnie
Love the setting in this one. Love the Belden's banker father dancing in the rain after being bribed with two cents by his youngest son. The mystery is kind of unbelievable in such a small town but I enjoyed it and the way the Bob-Whites were all prominent.
Elizabeth
This is the first one I ever read! I read it while I was sick one time and my mom got it for me from the library. It isn't my favorite, but it will always be the first! And I LOVE the end!
Hannah
This one was really good. Trixie and her brothers find an abandoned baby in Reddy's dog house. They go on a quest to find out how the baby got there and who's baby it is.
Telisha
A found baby, a missing boy and a ransom note raise more questions and worries than are answered - until Trixie and Honey solve the mystery!
Joy Gerbode
October 2008 ... enjoyable re-read, again fun to see young people helping others. Not as good as the original books in the series, though.
PWRL
Rachel
Rachel added it
Oct 20, 2014
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
Oct 15, 2014
Sasashb
Sasashb marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Oct 06, 2014
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Double Jinx Mystery (Nancy Drew, #50)
  • The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys, #28)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...
The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8) The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9) The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7) The Marshland Mystery The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)