Making Peace with the Things in Your Life: Why Your Papers, Books, Clothes, and Other Possessions Keep Overwhelming You and What to Do About It

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Do you spend much of your time struggling against the growing ranks of papers, books, clothes, housewares, mementos, and other possessions that seem to multiply when you're not looking? Do these inanimate objects, the hallmarks of busy modern life, conspire to fill up every inch of your space, no matter how hard you try to get rid of some of them and organize the rest? Do...more
Published May 3rd 2002 by St. Martin's Griffin

Diane
I enjoy reading books about organization...and part of my former clutter was a collection of these books. I've read serious psychology, books about hoarding, how-to's that tell you what to keep and how to keep it. But this book is just terrific, even while it doesn't order you to keep or toss any particular item, and doesn't advocate a line of products (or "junk bunkers", as one writer calls them) to store your Stuff. Instead, it helps you understand why you have your stuff to begin with; what p...more
Naomi
My friend Laurie gave me this book, presumably after she helped me move and subsequently helped me get rid of large quantities of crap I don't need. I read half of it in 2006 when I was supposed to be packing to move to California. I stopped reading it because my partner was going to leave without me if I didn't stop reading and start working.

Fast forward to 2009, and we are moving again. This time we have a bit more time / leeway, so I thought I'd finish the second half of the book and re-skim...more
Judy
I read this after a friend asked if I wanted to check it out, not because I was trying to get control of clutter. I think I'm doing okay in that area and I don't think that's denial talking. I thought it was an interesting take on clutter. This book delves into your brain and inner workings that make you the clutter bug that you. I think even people without clutter problems (or Thing issues as the author would put it) can see themselves in various aspects of this book. I know I could relate to s...more
Lisbethlevine
Since the author is both a therapist and an organizer (what every great organizer should be in a perfect world!), she writes from an interesting perspective. I especially appreciated her insights on chronically disorganized people.
But while the book is a good read and full of helpful information about the inner workings of our brains, it's not -- dare I say it? -- well organized. I found it daunting to attempt to use it as a workbook. As others have pointed out in their reviews, Glovinsky overw...more
Bethany Lockhart
I'll definitely reference this book again and again. Flip through my copy and you will see underlined passages, stars, notes in the margins, circles and arrows.
Although tedious at times, I am so glad I didn't skip through any part because I found gems in every chapter,
I was initially distracted by the names she chooses for character examples: Griselda Backglance, Professor Tightstring, Freddie Whizbang... but in the end it wasn't too big of a deal and I ultimately found a few of them endearing.

T...more
Lia
This is an unusual book about the psychology of our stuff--how we feel about our Things and what we do with our Things, etc. And how was it? A mixed bag. For sure.

You see, I thought I liked lists. Making lists, checking things off lists, stuff like that. But, wow, this book really pushed my list limit. It seems like a very large percentage of the book is lists. And lists and lists and lists. And most of them are lists of questions. Sometimes the questions are very leading, which made them much...more
Gayle
Since the author is a licensed psychotherapist and personal organizer, this book takes a different twist on clutterbugs. Ms. Glovinsky posits that it is not enough to just put things where they go; we must also figure out where our head is, and work with it. Since our brains are hard-wired individually, there is no one-size-fits-all solution to managing things. I was relieved to know that I'm pretty functional after all when it comes to clutter, and interested in the challenges that others face....more
Tom
A pretty good book that focuses on defining one's relationships with their Things (capital "T"). A little bit clinical, and emphasizes the analysis of emotions that we feel with our Things. A little bit short on the practical methods of clearing out Things, since it really focuses on feeling OK with the Things you have, no matter how many there are. This book is very supportive and talks about changing our habits with regard to our Things, getting at the root cause of clutter. This book is more...more
Tanya
This really is about making peace with your things and understanding the psychology behind why these things are cluttering up your life (at least by your perception). I found it helpful because it wasn't a cookie-cutter solution of how to organize, but looked at the root of the problem which is more important for me to understand so that the organizational system that is put in place can be MAINTAINED. That's why it's critical to understand one's own personal reasons behind the clutter so those...more
Cindy
I read this book to understand a close relative's hoarding habits but this information on cluttering definitely applies to me, a clutterer all my life! This book analyzes the psychology of cluttering in great detail. There's so much detail, in fact, I just skimmed most of the text. However, I found many of her insights about our feelings about "things" real helpful. If you are interested in decluttering and simplifying your life, this would be a good resource and motivational book!
Erin
This book has been really interesting... It approaches the reasons behind different activities and relationships with things. We all know different people who deal with some of these issues. It's nice to read a book that demonstrates a healthy approach to dealing with these issues and relating and encouraging people that may struggle with them in a manner that avoids shame, blame, or temporary, superficial fixes.
Rebecca Huston
Or, how to cope with all of that clutter. For me, it's books and art supplies -- everything else I can cope with and discard when useless. But books -- well, I'm here on Goodreads, aren't I? This is one of the better books out there, nonjudgmental and easy to get through without too much guilt. I really do recommend this one.

For the longer review, please go here:
Shannon
I enjoyed that the writer took a psychological approach to clutter. There are a gazillion books on the how of organizing and cataloging things. Unfortunately those books don't address the why of the clutter, nor how to tackle it from the source, rather than just treating the symptoms.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who's lived a packrat/clutter way of life, and wants to find a way to change.
Jane
Sep 23, 2008 Jane marked it as triedtoread
Recommends it for: John Green!!
This looks like a good book, a blend of the "why" we keep stuff and the "how" to get it sorted out and seriously "make peace" with it.
I don't have stuff of my own, I am just married to someone with lots of Things who comes from a family that hold on to stuff.
For instance, when our son was born, his parents sent all the old blocks that they had. Who keeps wooden blocks for 40+ years?
Anna
May 20, 2014 Anna marked it as home-reference
Have read maybe a third of this and have liked it so far. Anything to get to a state of ease, flow, and routine with only what I love, need, and use.

And currently I am in a huge purge mode tackling areas all around that is great and long overdue. The organization will follow. Actually a thorough scrubbing will be first.
Liz
Dec 28, 2013 Liz marked it as home-design

Jana
There were some good points, but overall a very confusing and overly complicated book. If a person is having trouble organizing their physical space, it stands to reason that they might need some help organizing their mental space. This book, unfortunately does the opposite of that.
Sally
June 2010 - re-reading.

Why you're cluttery, and (with all gentleness, we're hard enough on ourselves for being cluttery, we don't need to also be hard on ourselves for *why* we're cluttery), HOW TO GET ON with your life and address the clutter!
Ginger
Read this on the basis of a recommendation on Health Month because I think the spring is going to involve a lot of tao of delete for me. It's got some interesting points, but I'm not sure it beats the Julie Morgenstern approach for me personally.
Inggita
Aug 16, 2007 Inggita rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pack rats
Shelves: living
this is more a psychology treatment on paper - i'm way past that! hooray! pack rats on self-therapy might need this - but those who simply need a road map to take action should look for a certified space organizer (ask Oprah or get a PA)
Monica
I've been told I over analyze, but this author takes the cake! The over analyzing goes beyond helpful and is nauseating. Reading this book feels like an unpleasant chore with no point to it.
Jeannen
The capitalization of the word 'Thing' throughout the book was a bit irritating, but I learned a lot about the issues underlying my problems with an over-abundance of stuff.
Linda
Oct 11, 2010 Linda is currently reading it
Interesting premise--it's not the stuff as much as how you think about it. Why do you dread cleaning out the garage, closet, spare room?
Tammy
I am learning that I probably should be more mindful about what I bring into my environment . . . um, was that me shopping last night, ha
ROSALIE
This is totally different from any other book I've read in this genre. You begin by cleaning up your brain and emotions.
Great book.
Kate
Deals with the "Why" behind why we have trouble staying organized and differnt ways of looking at the clutter and chaos.
Li
Didn't really strike a chord with me. Didn't find it very useful.
Meredith
Yeah, right. That's gonna happen.
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
One Thing At a Time: 100 Simple Ways to Live Clutter-Free Every Day Making Peace with Your Office Life: End the Battles, Shake the Blues, Get Organized, and Be Happier at Work Making Peace with the Things in Your Life Children and Babies with Mood Swings: New Insights for Parents and Professionals

“YOU WILL SUCCEED AT YOUR GOALS TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU ADDRESS YOUR SABOTAGE FACTORS.” 0 likes