Start by marking “The Weighty Word Book” as Want to Read:
The Weighty Word Book

The Weighty Word Book

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews

"[The Weighty Word Book] will appeal to kids who want to sound as smart as they are. It offers a clever, funny way to introduce new words into the vocabulary. . . . There's one word for every letter of the alphabet--wait until you see what they do with dogmatic, juxtapose and zealot."--The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

"Each of these twenty-six short stories takes a

Published November 28th 1990 by Manuscripts Ltd (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Weighty Word Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weighty Word Book

Adam
Love this book! It came to me through my daughter as her H.S. English teacher was reading it to them. I love the way the author has created puns to help understand and increase vocabulary. I started reading it to my own students, and will start the year with it.
Donalyn
Silly imaginative stories help students learn the meanings of 26 multi-syllabic words (one for each letter of the alphabet).
Deborah
Each letter of the alphabet matches a "big" word. The accompanying story is kind of silly but provides a way to remember the meaning of the word by having something about the story end up sounding like the word. For example, in one story, a circus manager (Mr. Sawdust) was looking for a new act. After watching several, here comes Cora, a skater whose skating is dazzling, glittering, sparkling. The story ends in the manner of all of them: "So, whenever someone (or something) glitters and gleams, ...more
Gale
abasement, bifurcate, coruscate, dogmatic, expedient, felicity, geriatrics, heresy, ingratiate, juxtapose, kleptomaniac, laxity, misdemeanor, nonconformity, ostracize, paradox, quixotic, raucous, Scintillate, truculent, ubiquitous, vacillate, winsome, xenophobia, yammer, zealot

Exceptional teaching book for parent or teacher sharing
I will read it again and again and be sure the grandchildren have a copy in their homes

Uses a memory pun to remember the words, one given for 26 different little stori
Suzanne
I find it interesting the trend in children's informational books: they are almost textbook like. If I were still teaching an English class, I would probably use this book to teach both reading and vocabulary. I like the text feature techniques the author uses to help students learn words: illustrations, Bold print and and a story to help remember what the word means.

The only change I would make is to include somewhere in the book sentences actually using the word correctly as one or more parts
Shawna
This book provides fresh new ways to introduce vocabulary to students.
Heather
Apr 14, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
When I was in the sixth grade, one of my teachers read this book aloud to her classes. It uses a one to two page story to tell a story that will define a big word (example--dogmatic means stubborn, so it tells the story of a dog mat tick, who refused to live on the dog with her parents and went to live in the dog's mat instead), making it easy for kids (and adults!) to learn big words. There is one word for every letter of the alphabet. Each story has a beautiful illustration to go with it. Ever ...more
Randie
OMG! I picked this up randomly at the library but it turns out that my seventh grade language arts teacher used this book to teach us our vocabulary. I'm not sure why, but the "dogmatic" story stuck in my memory all these years :).

Levitt, Burger, Guralnick, and Stevens make a great team. The word choice, stories, and illustrations work well together. The stories could use some updating for the current generations but I still find them relevant and helpful for teaching the meaning of these 26 wor
Davelowusa
One of the most inventive books about words for children.

One example: the story behind the word xenophobia. Four foreigners walked into a bar and tried to order four beers. When they said, in heavily accented voices, "zee need fo bee-uh", they were laughed at and feared by the bar's jingoistic regulars. And that's where we get the word xenophobia.

There are 25 other such stories.
Felicia
A cute way to help you remember the definition of hard words.
Donalyn
A clever way to teach challenging words. Great for fast read alouds.
Tyler
Tyler added it
May 01, 2015
Jeff
Jeff added it
Apr 20, 2015
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Nasreen
Nasreen marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Ndowningzoll.com
Ndowningzoll.com marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Brittaney Tran
Brittaney Tran marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Heidi Nauss
Heidi Nauss marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Do Thu
Do Thu marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Kenya
Kenya marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Megan Mitchell
Megan Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Paul M. Levitt is professor of English at the University of Colorado and the author of several novels, plays, and works of literary criticism. He lives in Boulder, Colorado.
More about Paul M. Levitt...
Stalin's Barber Come with Me to Babylon Weighty Words, Too Chin Music: A Novel of the Jazz Age The Denouncer