The Weighty Word Book

The Weighty Word Book

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  8 reviews

"[The Weighty Word Book] will appeal to kids who want to sound as smart as they are. It offers a clever, funny way to introduce new words into the vocabulary. . . . There's one word for every letter of the alphabet--wait until you see what they do with dogmatic, juxtapose and zealot."--The Gazette (Colorado Springs, Colorado)

"Each of these twenty-six short stories takes a

Published November 28th 1990 by Manuscripts Ltd (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Weighty Word Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weighty Word Book

Adam
Love this book! It came to me through my daughter as her H.S. English teacher was reading it to them. I love the way the author has created puns to help understand and increase vocabulary. I started reading it to my own students, and will start the year with it.
Gale
abasement, bifurcate, coruscate, dogmatic, expedient, felicity, geriatrics, heresy, ingratiate, juxtapose, kleptomaniac, laxity, misdemeanor, nonconformity, ostracize, paradox, quixotic, raucous, Scintillate, truculent, ubiquitous, vacillate, winsome, xenophobia, yammer, zealot

Exceptional teaching book for parent or teacher sharing
I will read it again and again and be sure the grandchildren have a copy in their homes

Uses a memory pun to remember the words, one given for 26 different little stori...more
Suzanne
I find it interesting the trend in children's informational books: they are almost textbook like. If I were still teaching an English class, I would probably use this book to teach both reading and vocabulary. I like the text feature techniques the author uses to help students learn words: illustrations, Bold print and and a story to help remember what the word means.

The only change I would make is to include somewhere in the book sentences actually using the word correctly as one or more parts...more
Heather
Apr 14, 2008 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
When I was in the sixth grade, one of my teachers read this book aloud to her classes. It uses a one to two page story to tell a story that will define a big word (example--dogmatic means stubborn, so it tells the story of a dog mat tick, who refused to live on the dog with her parents and went to live in the dog's mat instead), making it easy for kids (and adults!) to learn big words. There is one word for every letter of the alphabet. Each story has a beautiful illustration to go with it. Ever...more
Randie
OMG! I picked this up randomly at the library but it turns out that my seventh grade language arts teacher used this book to teach us our vocabulary. I'm not sure why, but the "dogmatic" story stuck in my memory all these years :).

Levitt, Burger, Guralnick, and Stevens make a great team. The word choice, stories, and illustrations work well together. The stories could use some updating for the current generations but I still find them relevant and helpful for teaching the meaning of these 26 wor...more
Davelowusa
One of the most inventive books about words for children.

One example: the story behind the word xenophobia. Four foreigners walked into a bar and tried to order four beers. When they said, in heavily accented voices, "zee need fo bee-uh", they were laughed at and feared by the bar's jingoistic regulars. And that's where we get the word xenophobia.

There are 25 other such stories.
Felicia
A cute way to help you remember the definition of hard words.
Donalyn
A clever way to teach challenging words. Great for fast read alouds.
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Megan Mitchell
Megan Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jennifer Berry
Jennifer Berry marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Elicia
Elicia marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Kgats
Kgats marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Deondra
Deondra marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2013
Surya
Surya marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul M. Levitt is professor of English at the University of Colorado and the author of several novels, plays, and works of literary criticism. He lives in Boulder, Colorado.
More about Paul M. Levitt...
Stalin's Barber Come with Me to Babylon The Weighty Word Book Chin Music: A Novel of the Jazz Age Weighty Words, Too