Start by marking “The Weighty Word Book” as Want to Read:
The Weighty Word Book

The Weighty Word Book

"The Weighty Word Book" provides unusual words defined from A to Z. Designed for the precocious child, ages 6 and up, the ridiculous puns will also bring peals of laughter to the young at heart. Perfect for sons and daughters, moms and dads, grandparents--in short everyone who loves the warmth of a good book.
Published November 1st 1999 by Manuscripts Ltd (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Weighty Word Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weighty Word Book

Adam
Jun 07, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! It came to me through my daughter as her H.S. English teacher was reading it to them. I love the way the author has created puns to help understand and increase vocabulary. I started reading it to my own students, and will start the year with it.
Donalyn
Silly imaginative stories help students learn the meanings of 26 multi-syllabic words (one for each letter of the alphabet).
Deborah
Jul 26, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each letter of the alphabet matches a "big" word. The accompanying story is kind of silly but provides a way to remember the meaning of the word by having something about the story end up sounding like the word. For example, in one story, a circus manager (Mr. Sawdust) was looking for a new act. After watching several, here comes Cora, a skater whose skating is dazzling, glittering, sparkling. The story ends in the manner of all of them: "So, whenever someone (or something) glitters and gleams, ...more
Gale
Aug 16, 2012 Gale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
abasement, bifurcate, coruscate, dogmatic, expedient, felicity, geriatrics, heresy, ingratiate, juxtapose, kleptomaniac, laxity, misdemeanor, nonconformity, ostracize, paradox, quixotic, raucous, Scintillate, truculent, ubiquitous, vacillate, winsome, xenophobia, yammer, zealot

Exceptional teaching book for parent or teacher sharing
I will read it again and again and be sure the grandchildren have a copy in their homes

Uses a memory pun to remember the words, one given for 26 different little stori
Suzanne
Jan 04, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it interesting the trend in children's informational books: they are almost textbook like. If I were still teaching an English class, I would probably use this book to teach both reading and vocabulary. I like the text feature techniques the author uses to help students learn words: illustrations, Bold print and and a story to help remember what the word means.

The only change I would make is to include somewhere in the book sentences actually using the word correctly as one or more parts
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 06, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
OMG! I picked this up randomly at the library but it turns out that my seventh grade language arts teacher used this book to teach us our vocabulary. I'm not sure why, but the "dogmatic" story stuck in my memory all these years :).

Levitt, Burger, Guralnick, and Stevens make a great team. The word choice, stories, and illustrations work well together. The stories could use some updating for the current generations but I still find them relevant and helpful for teaching the meaning of these 26 wor
Heather
Apr 14, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
When I was in the sixth grade, one of my teachers read this book aloud to her classes. It uses a one to two page story to tell a story that will define a big word (example--dogmatic means stubborn, so it tells the story of a dog mat tick, who refused to live on the dog with her parents and went to live in the dog's mat instead), making it easy for kids (and adults!) to learn big words. There is one word for every letter of the alphabet. Each story has a beautiful illustration to go with it. Ever ...more
Davelowusa
Mar 09, 2009 Davelowusa rated it it was amazing
One of the most inventive books about words for children.

One example: the story behind the word xenophobia. Four foreigners walked into a bar and tried to order four beers. When they said, in heavily accented voices, "zee need fo bee-uh", they were laughed at and feared by the bar's jingoistic regulars. And that's where we get the word xenophobia.

There are 25 other such stories.
Areeba
Mar 12, 2016 Areeba rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book, my fifth grade teacher read it to us. I still remember some of the stories that went with the words (abasement, coruscate) but as far as spelling goes, I never got that right!
Dorothee
Jul 17, 2016 Dorothee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites-o
read in 6th grade, but I still remember the creative stories of each word and it really helped my vocabulary
Audrey Halversen
Audrey Halversen rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Kristia
Kristia rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
Donna Elliott
Donna Elliott rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Deepa
Deepa rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Felicia
Apr 20, 2012 Felicia rated it liked it
Shelves: own, picture-book
A cute way to help you remember the definition of hard words.
Joy Olsen
Joy Olsen rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
cullen m. stoody
cullen m. stoody rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Mrs. Bailey
Mrs. Bailey rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Justina Lloyd
Justina Lloyd rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Gaylynn
Gaylynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2012
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2011
Carlye Novak
Carlye Novak rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Violet
Violet rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Paul M. Levitt is professor of English at the University of Colorado and the author of several novels, plays, and works of literary criticism. He lives in Boulder, Colorado.
More about Paul M. Levitt...