Start by marking “The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden # 29)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden # 29)

The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden #29)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  625 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Preparations for the freshman class play become dramatic when Trixie and her friends get involved in a series of mysterious events surrounding the new drama teacher and the disappearance of her father.
Published September 1st 1980 by Golden Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Velvet Gown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Velvet Gown

The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Gatehouse Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Series
25th out of 39 books — 12 voters
The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Mystery in Arizona by Julie CampbellThe Mysterious Code by Kathryn KennyThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Golden Press Paperback
32nd out of 34 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark Baker
Everyone is buzzing about the freshman production of Romeo and Juliette, especially since Trixie’s friend Diana has landed the part of Juliette. However, Trixie’s attention is focused on the new drama teacher, Miss Darcy, who is acting oddly. What is causing her to be so distracted?

This book is a classic example of a plot that seems logical until you set the book down and really think through it. The characters are mostly good, although a couple of the cast are sidelined, which I never like. Thi
Rebekah
Apr 11, 2016 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Not as dramatic as some of the others. Is that good or bad? Not sure. There didn't seem to be as much interaction with Jim, Brian and Mart as some of the other books have, but I still enjoyed it. Perfect read for a day when I was really tired.
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
Naomi
May 24, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that ...more
April Brown
Feb 10, 2013 April Brown rated it really liked it
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer, pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story -
Chris
Jul 30, 2016 Chris rated it liked it
I found this in a free library book stand. It is the 29th in the series. When I was growing up, there were only Books 1 to 15. It is a very quick read, and I did enjoy it, but not one of my favorites. Trixie is now 14 in this 29th book and a freshman at her high school, when she gets involved with this mystery.
Niki
Feb 19, 2014 Niki rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT JUST LIKE ALL THE TRIXIE BELDEN BOOKS which should I read next???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!
Robert B. Miller
This book is part of the Trixie Beldon series I read when I was younger. Trixie Beldon brings back memories of when I was in school. The characters tease and taunt eachother like most adolescents. There was an added bonus for me in the play of William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, was being done by Trixie's high school class. This series is one of my all time favorites! Shelly (Fall 2009)
Trish
Mar 30, 2013 Trish rated it liked it
This is one Trixie book that I had only read once, missing it when I was a young reader. But honestly, I didn't miss much back then. The mystery seems really lame in this one and quite frankly Miss Trask should've solved it! :)

Still it's a Trixie and all the Bob-Whites are present and accounted for.
Joy Gerbode
Mar 13, 2014 Joy Gerbode rated it liked it
While I know I have previously read the entire series, this is one that I absolutely did not remember AT ALL. It was another good and quick read about the friends I've come to love; it is not a well-written classic by any means, but good fun all the same.
Kara
Nov 26, 2013 Kara rated it it was ok
Generally I'm a fan of the Trixie Belden books, but it dithered a bit too much in the beginning. The mystery was also played out more in exposition than in clues, which (for me) is a big no-no. Two and a half stars.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Diana's chance to shine...sort of, though we don't get a lot of her adventure into theatre. Being in high school drama myself, I really liked that aspect of the story.
Telisha
Dec 31, 2013 Telisha rated it it was amazing
This one is fun, Trixie senses a mystery, finds many pieces to a strange puzzle and is investigating LONG before she really knows what it is she is investigating!
Mell
Dec 22, 2013 Mell rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya, mystery
Was obsessed with this series, and this was one if my favorites. The idea of Romeo and Juliet as the school play seemed so dreamy. Wore the cover off of this one.
Hildegart
May 05, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it
Shelves: belden
I slightly remember this book, thus a three star rating instead of four. I have read this book several times since I was a girl and always enjoyed it!!
Tara Calaby
Sep 10, 2015 Tara Calaby rated it really liked it
Trixie Belden was one of my earliest great media obsessions. I absolutely adored all of the books and desperately wanted to be Trixie.
Kristen
Jan 19, 2013 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I enjoyed this one- it's been in a while since one of these was actually good. I'm glad for at least one decent one.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 19, 2010 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Great children's mystery series, read most of these books in school and thoroughly enjoyed them!......
15ErikaH2
Jun 23, 2016 15ErikaH2 rated it it was amazing
Used this book for a cereal box book report in 5th grade.
Erin
Jun 15, 2008 Erin rated it it was ok
Re-read June 2008
Re-read November 2009
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
much better than nancy drew
PWRL
Kim
Dec 26, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
book 29
Christine Krebs
Christine Krebs marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Cindy Loomis-Torvi
Cindy Loomis-Torvi rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds
  • By the Light of the Study Lamp (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Mystery of Monster Mountain (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #20)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Nervous Lion (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #16)
  • The Mystery of the Deadly Double (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #28)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)