Start by marking “The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden # 29)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden # 29)

The Mystery of the Velvet Gown (Trixie Belden #29)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Bob-Whites are excited when Di wins the part of Juliet in the school play which is to be directed by their new drama teacher, Eileen Darcy. The cast are thrilled when she organizes for some rare costumes to be loaned to them for the school play, but Trixie soon suspects that something is not quite right with the young drama teacher and her handsome fiancé. Trixie learn ...more
Published September 1st 1980 by Golden Books (first published April 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Velvet Gown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Velvet Gown

The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Gatehouse Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Series
25th out of 39 books — 12 voters
The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn KennyThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Marshland Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Golden Press Paperback
32nd out of 34 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Naomi
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that ...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer, pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story -
Nic
LOVE IT JUST LIKE ALL THE TRIXIE BELDEN BOOKS which should I read next???!!!???!!!???!!!???!!!
Robert B. Miller
This book is part of the Trixie Beldon series I read when I was younger. Trixie Beldon brings back memories of when I was in school. The characters tease and taunt eachother like most adolescents. There was an added bonus for me in the play of William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, was being done by Trixie's high school class. This series is one of my all time favorites! Shelly (Fall 2009)
Trish
This is one Trixie book that I had only read once, missing it when I was a young reader. But honestly, I didn't miss much back then. The mystery seems really lame in this one and quite frankly Miss Trask should've solved it! :)

Still it's a Trixie and all the Bob-Whites are present and accounted for.
Joy Gerbode
While I know I have previously read the entire series, this is one that I absolutely did not remember AT ALL. It was another good and quick read about the friends I've come to love; it is not a well-written classic by any means, but good fun all the same.
Kara
Generally I'm a fan of the Trixie Belden books, but it dithered a bit too much in the beginning. The mystery was also played out more in exposition than in clues, which (for me) is a big no-no. Two and a half stars.
Bonnie
Diana's chance to shine...sort of, though we don't get a lot of her adventure into theatre. Being in high school drama myself, I really liked that aspect of the story.
Telisha
This one is fun, Trixie senses a mystery, finds many pieces to a strange puzzle and is investigating LONG before she really knows what it is she is investigating!
Mell
Was obsessed with this series, and this was one if my favorites. The idea of Romeo and Juliet as the school play seemed so dreamy. Wore the cover off of this one.
Jill
May 05, 2012 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: belden
I slightly remember this book, thus a three star rating instead of four. I have read this book several times since I was a girl and always enjoyed it!!
Kristen
I enjoyed this one- it's been in a while since one of these was actually good. I'm glad for at least one decent one.
Marts  (Thinker)
Great children's mystery series, read most of these books in school and thoroughly enjoyed them!......
Erin
Re-read June 2008
Re-read November 2009
Amy
much better than nancy drew
PWRL
Mar 08, 2008 Lisa added it
Denise
Denise added it
Nov 13, 2014
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • By the Light of the Study Lamp (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of Death Trap Mine (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #24)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...
The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8) The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9) The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7) The Marshland Mystery The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)