Start by marking “Drinker Class X” as Want to Read:
Drinker Class X

Drinker Class X (Proud to be a Vampire)

Bitten on the job, Laurence is left to readjust to living as one of the drinkers he has always hunted. In order to be declared a stable citizen—and get back to work—he must attend a series of court-mandated sessions with a psychiatrist specializing in newly-turned drinkers.

The worst part of being a drinker, besides adjusting to life without sunlight, is that it's mostly do
Published October 30th 2013 by Less Than Three Press LLC (first published October 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Drinker Class X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drinker Class X

Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
193rd out of 435 books — 631 voters
Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxNot So Innocent by Dani AlexanderLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Boy with the Painful Tattoo by Josh LanyonWinter Kill by Josh Lanyon
Can't Wait M/M Romance of 2013
157th out of 191 books — 641 voters

More lists with this book...

ttg
Nov 02, 2013 ttg rated it really liked it
This was a fun take on vampires—mixing both fantasy with its AU setting and also reality, as our newly-bitten MC plods through the bureaucratic requirements he has to go through to “prove” that he can handle his new “orientation” enough to return to his job in law enforcement. Along the way, he meets a sympathetic psychiatrist who draws more of him than he was expecting.

What I liked: This is a fantasy AU world, one were “drinkers” (aka vampires) exist, and are a minority that are monitored by th
Lady*M
Nov 22, 2013 Lady*M rated it really liked it
This is the first Miller's book I have read and it was a pleasant surprise, though it suffers from some minor editing errors. The writing is clean, easy to read and it worked perfectly with the world in which it's normal to have 'drinkers' (vampires) in the society. Vampirism is a condition, more than anything else and it's treated with pills, blood and therapy.

I think ttg perfectly described setting as a mix of Victorian-like society and modern technology, though Victorian traits are mostly ext
Oct 14, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book, and thought the classification system of drinkers was interesting. It was an interesting world, but I'm not quite sure how to explain what I liked about it. Instead of the universe having paranormal elements that are very much in-your-face, or aware of their own newness (e.g. the introduction of a supernatural race into an established society), mentions of drinkers vs. regular humans was simple and loosely explained. We got the impression as readers, that their world had been ...more
Pépin Pomme
Sep 23, 2016 Pépin Pomme rated it really liked it
It was a very interesting book! With a very original approach to this whole vampire thing I never read before. The characters were very lovable, so were the side characters, and the plot was very interesting and thrilling!
Cynthia
Nov 12, 2013 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
To read my full review, please visit http://onsilverwingz.blogspot.com/201...

3.5 stars rounded up to 4

I love the set up of the story. Vampires are now called drinkers and they are highly regulated through hospitals, blood centers, and a police force specialized in handling rogue drinkers, or Class X drinkers. Laurence is part of this police force and is bitten by a Class X on the job. In order to readjust and get his job back, he needs the psychiatrist, Ira, to give him a Class A rating, meaning
Curtis
Laurence works in law enforcement, tracking vampires who've gone rogue by bucking the rules of drinking. But when he's bitten on the job, everything changes. Now he's a drinker. He needs to adjust to a whole new lifestyle. He also needs to learn self-control to follow the rules. It's only if he can prove he can follow the rules that he can return to work.

To do this, Laurence must meet with a court-appointed psychiatrist. Dr. Ira Ashwood specializes in newly-turned drinkers. And while Laurence is
Julesmarie
Feb 17, 2014 Julesmarie rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, vampires
My very first vampire steampunk story I've read. :)

I love how the setting is revealed slowly. We have no hints that the setting is anything other than modern at first, as we follow Laurence down the hall to his first court-ordered appointment with the psychiatrist who will evaluate him and decide if he's ready to re-enter society after being bitten and turned into a "drinker."

Only as Laurence starts talking about the way people are dressed or riding around in carriages do we begin to understand
Ami

I loved the whole different take on vampires -- with term like drinkers, as well as the classification of them in the society. This story is written into two parts; first half from Laurence's POV and the second half from Ira's.

I enjoyed Laurence's POV better, maybe because as a reader, I seemed to be with him from the beginning, as he dealt with being a drinker, meeting with Ira, talking in his sessions about what he felt and what he expected to happen.

Ira's part, however, was dramati
H.V. Corbin
Laurence, a vampire hunter cop gets turned into a vampire and is ordered by the courts to sessions with Ira, a plucky psychiatrist for newly-turned vampires, with a secret past!

The pacing was a bit off for me, personally. It started very slow-burn scandalous doctor/patient romance and abruptly changed to a quick pace thriller romance halfway through. Which I suppose is why the book is labeled in two sections - "Acclimation" and "Captivation". The quick switch still left me reeling a little bit.
Seregil
May 29, 2014 Seregil rated it liked it
Shelves: detective, vampires
A simple and cute story set in an alternate universe set in an undefined past (with carriages, corsets, but also telephones and electricity) where part of the population has been "infected" by vampirism.
The main character is a sort of policeman specialized in dealing with rogue vampires that was bitten during a rutine operation and now has to deal with becoming a vampire. He is a pretty level headed character, so it's not really an angsty story.
The second main character is the psychiatrist he
Shelbie
Feb 28, 2014 Shelbie rated it liked it
The only reason why this didn't get 4 stars from me is because it was going along at a good, prospective clip, then we had a slight bit of action that didn't actually get anywhere. Like a slight bump in the road followed by, "Oh, well, never mind things will be fine!" Overall: straight forward, solid, but would have loved some sort of build up to something.
Antonella
Mar 11, 2016 Antonella rated it really liked it
Original take on the vampire thing in a fantasy Victorian society, good writing, romance but no sex (which is starting to be an added bonus in my eyes ;-).
See also the excellent review by ttg.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lexi
Genre: M/M Vampire
4.5 Hearts

See Review Here: Hearts On Fire Reviews
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hearts...
Kasha
Jan 07, 2016 Kasha rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten that I'd even read this but I remember it being a different view on vampires, I really enjoyed that.
Nijin
Nijin rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2013
Clear
Clear rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2015
M.J. Willow
M.J. Willow rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Ebosu
Ebosu rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Morgana_lefay
Morgana_lefay rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
Adrianamae, Marco's fan rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Alex Powell
Alex Powell rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
M
M rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2013
Kendappa
Kendappa rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
jules0623
jules0623 rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Chris, the Dalek King
Chris, the Dalek King rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Isabella Carter
Isabella Carter rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Sasha L. Miller spends most of her time writing, reading, or playing with all things website design. She loves telling stories, especially romance, because there’s nothing better than giving people their happily ever afters. When not writing, she spends time cooking, harassing her roommates, and playing with her cats.
More about Sasha L. Miller...

Proud to be a Vampire (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Bloody Kiss