Start by marking “The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)

The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  6,745 Ratings  ·  374 Reviews
Trixie’s summer is going to be sooo boring with her two older brothers away at camp. But then a millionaire’s daughter moves into the next-door mansion, an old miser hides a fortune in his decrepit house, and a runaway kid starts hiding out in Sleepyside!
Published June 24th 2003 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Mansion

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
247th out of 3,475 books — 6,566 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
80th out of 601 books — 1,141 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Jul 24, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Trixie Belden was not perfect. She got into trouble, she got dirty, she argued and lost, and she got kidnapped! Truly, if you cut her, did she not bleed?! yes!

My Mom bought me two Trixie Belden books to take on a family vacation to Florida the summer after 2nd grade. I think I had finished them before we hit the Florida state line much to my mom's dismay. I immediately re-read them. I spent the next two years buying them as fast as my allowance would allow. Until 1986 when they went out of print
Moonlight Reader
I was first introduced to Trixie Belden in the 1970's. While I was a fan of Nancy Drew - and I'm sure I'll shelve her here down the road a bit - it was for Trixie and the Bob-Whites of the Glen that I reserved my most committed and unconditional adoration.

Trixie reminded me of me. Also a tom-boy, I skied and sledded and was involved in winter sports. My family mirrored hers, with a garden-crazy stay-at-home mom and a dad who worked outside the home (mine was a doctor, not a banker, but still . .
Bethany
Apr 04, 2012 Bethany rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-for-girls
A formulaic series, but what a formula!!! I read probably 95% of the Trixie Belden series growing up and can't wait for Amanda to get into them.

Trixie is a girl detective, much like Nancy Drew, only (I think) much better (and I did like Nancy).

To avoid diluting my goodreads list, I'll spare rating them individually, but know that I recommend them all whole-heartedly.
Annie
Apr 20, 2008 Annie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Girls, my daughter
Recommended to Annie by: My mother
I adored the Trixie Belden series and read all of them for years. I truly credit this series, along with a few others, with fostering my voracious love of reading, and also with sowing the seeds of love of the Adventure/Quest novel. Trixie is a spunky, smart heroine, and I really wanted to be her when I was a girl. Can't wait to share with my daughter one day.
Lisa
Jan 27, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
When I was in elementary school, there were several girls' book series that I avoided because I thought they sounded so . . . insipid. For example, the Betsy-Tacy books. What kind of a dumb name was Betsy-Tacy? Another series that I gave the stink-eye to when I saw it on the shelves was Trixie Belden. What kind of a name was Trixie?! Trixie sounded like the sugar cereal with the rabbit mascot that I knew from TV commercials, not like the name of a girl who solved mysteries.

Two years ago I final
Amanda NEVER MANDY
Jan 26, 2016 Amanda NEVER MANDY rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, prologue
Forget Daphne and Velma, Trixie Belden is the real deal for any young amateur sleuth. Around about the late 80’s after I had read through everything the library had to offer on The Boxcar Children, I found myself needing more. Nancy Drew was too old fashioned for my taste and the Hardy Boys could have went and sucked an egg for all I cared. What I finally did stumble upon was this read and it had so much to offer a little girl looking for some mystery mixed with a whole lot of relatable main cha ...more
Kara
Nov 10, 2009 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-sleuths
The book that started my lifetime obsession with serialized Girl detective books. I had already read Nancy Drew when I discovered Trixie. Trix was far more appealing to me as she was younger and more accessible than Nancy who was elusively glamorous, poised, wore smart suits and drove a car. Trixie was a farm girl in "dungarees" who ride a bike or her horse as her mode of transport.

Trixie, 13, exits in that fleeting period between childhood and teenagerdom, when girls and boys still co exist as
Bonnie
Jun 13, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
June 13, 2013: Re-reading the first three in the series again. A summer tradition! :)

August 9, 2012: Just another summer re-read. Partly because I'm trying to get back on pace with my reading goal (I have three YA books on hold at the library to pick up this weekend) and partly because I just love this series and the first three are awesome books to read in the summer! :)

A great start to a wonderful series that is still making an impact in my life. Even the bad books are good because they're the
Melody
I know many wonderful people who love, love, love Trixie. My earliest memories of this series center around a supermarket in Coldwater Michigan which sold cheap Whitman hardcovers for 69 cents. Every so often, if I'd completely run out of REAL books (which is to say, books about HORSES), my mom would buy me a Whitman book. It's where I first learned about abridged books, to my everlasting shock and chagrin. I remember the odd Trixie Belden, but didn't retain anything more concrete than a dismiss ...more
Pili
Jul 31, 2015 Pili rated it really liked it
This was such a fun sweet book! And it reminded me of one of my fave series as a child, The Happy Hollisters! Oh, how I devoured their adventures!

A perfect summer read and even if it'll be a bit of a different read for younger kids these days, given how old timey it can read at times, it was full of charm and reminded me a lot of both very loved books I read when I was Trixie's age and also of the summers of my childhood, that I also spent under very little supervision, safely roaming and playin
Lisa C
Feb 20, 2009 Lisa C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, kids
Even though the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew TV show was a big hit at the time, like much of my generation, I was hooked on Trixie Belden. These were the first books that I bought on my own -- waiting until the newest were published, scrambling to find the older copies that were slightly cheaper, taking them to the counter all by myself. I'd get so excited when I figured out how it was going to end, that tears would stream from my eyes as I tried to finish the last chapters (not crying, just an odd ...more
Tonya
Sep 14, 2016 Tonya added it
Shelves: childhood-books
When I was a kid, before my dad died, he used to take me to the bookstore when my mom was shopping. He bought me any book I wanted and of course it was a Trixie Beldon book every time! This popped into my head driving home from work tonight. It was no Harry Potter but it was what we loved as kids.
Denise
Jul 11, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: trixie-belden
I was wondering if I would like Trixie as well at 58 as I did at 11 or 12 (or whenever I read it as a child). The answer was yes. I have a different perspective of Trixie than I did when I was a child. (Of course.) Trixie tends to do something before she thinks and is constantly having mishaps because of that. She is also rather careless. I'm sure as a child I was awed by her daring.

I don't remember the story line at all in this book and I'm not sure as a child if I read all of the books or even
Sheryl
Dec 02, 2007 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Over Thanksgiving, we had fun digging through Mom and Dad's closet to find Sheila's old set of Trixie Belden books. She's missing some of them, but I'm going to spend some time re-reading the ones we found. I won't do an entry for each one, so you might not hear from me for awhile. We both LOVED these books growing up!!
Karisa
May 01, 2010 Karisa rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this series when I was a kid. I searched far and wide to collect all 39 titles... I remember noticing the change in authors, and I was more than a little disappointed when I learned that the author whose writing I had enjoyed would not be the one I would be reading for the remaining 30 books, and I was downright disgruntled when I found out that the "new author" was not one person named Kathryn Kenny, but a whole variety of writers. I still read and enjoyed them all, but preferred the st ...more
Fatma_A_145506
This story talk about trixie adventures . The author of this story is Julie campbell .This story has been published at 1948 . Trixie cant believe she's stuck in sleepy side all summer while her lucky brothers are away at camping .Then the millionaire''s daughter moves in next door , a runway kid hides out nearby and rumors heat up that the old mansion on the hill is filled with a fortune . So after this adventures the summer wasn't boring but it was too exciting and interesting . This book has 2 ...more
Susan
Dec 29, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, 2014
I almost stopped reading this book at the beginning as I found Trixie to be outspoken, rude and overbearing. However, the author eventually toned down the character and I was able to enjoy the story.

While this was supposed to be the search for the hidden treasure for a lost heir, much of the story told of day to day fun and activities Trixie and her friends had. Only now and again were snippets of the hunt for the secret revealed.

This book left the reader on a cliffhanger - probably to persuade
Eliza
Nov 12, 2008 Eliza rated it it was amazing
i love trixie belden books! they're soooo exciting!
Jamie Dacyczyn
Aug 24, 2016 Jamie Dacyczyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Fun to relive a book I read so many times as a kid. I had a few random Trixie Belden books that someone gave me, and I loved them much more than Nancy Drew. Trixie is a much more relatable protagonist than the polished Nancy, and even though this one was written in 1948 (and it shows in some of the "Golly!" exclamations that pop up now and again), Trixie could still be well loved by kids today.

One thing I noticed from reading it this time around as an adult now, is just how disaster prone Trixi
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Trixie Belden, like Nancy Drew, Donna Parker, and several others, was a series heroine for girls to emulate. I remember having to read the Donna Parker series behind my older sister's back; there were so many volumes of the cheap-edition hardback Nancy Drew series that we used to pick up in the grocery store (of all places) that there were plenty to share (though I read much faster than my sister, and was always getting yelled at for reading "her book" before she was quite done with it).

Unlike
Lorraine
Sep 18, 2011 Lorraine rated it really liked it
In this first Trixie Belden adventure, Trixie's two older brothers are away at camp and Trixie is excited to meet the girl who's just moved into the Manor House, Honey Wheeler. Honey has horses, and Trixie wants to learn to ride, while Honey wants to learn to ride a bike. They like each other immediately. When Trixie's father tells them that the grumpy old neighbour has been taken to the hospital, the girls go to his falling down house to make sure it's locked up. There they meet Jim Frayne, his ...more
Celeste
Dec 07, 2013 Celeste rated it liked it
There's not actually that much of a mystery, and the majority of the book is just kids accidentally injuring themselves over and over (seriously, at least four different kids, some of them multiple times), but it has some upsides, too. It's kind of quaint and fluffy, as you might expect for a book like this, but it has some more serious stuff too, like Jim's stepdad being abusive and Honey's rich parents being absent (and her feeling unloved because of it). I also very much appreciated that both ...more
Olivia Humphrey
I decided to read this book, because ever since i was younger i had always tried to fully get into reading the whole series, and only recently i got back into completing this aim i set. The adventure and mystery had always intrigued me, and Trixie was always my main role model in life.

On the bingo board, it fits into the category of my own choice. It was an easy choice, with the series being an all time favorite of mine.

My favorite quote from this book is 'Why Honey, i feel as though i can be a
Brona's Books
Mar 21, 2016 Brona's Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Trixie is a very authentic protagonist. She says the wrong things sometimes, she can be impulsive and clumsy. She gets carried away with her own imaginings. She has chores to do, struggles with her homework and argues with her brothers.

The mysteries that Trixie and her friends get caught up in are full of action, drama and human relationships. They have a logic and plausibility that satisfies. The mystery is always solved, but the main relationships are allowed to develop with the series.
http://
Frances Kulovitz
Sep 13, 2016 Frances Kulovitz rated it it was amazing
I am reviewing the first fifteen books. I am 60 years old and I can still remember how much I loved these books. Trixie and Honey were my best friends. I would buy them at k-mart for 89 cents. The only problem was finding all of them. (I later completed my set through e-bay. I had the hardbacks with the portraits of Trixie and Honey on the inside cover. They had the full color illustrations that I just loved. I trace my penchant for twin sweater sets from #8 in which Trixie, Honey and Di wore th ...more
Melissa
Aug 23, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in the day, I was obsessed with Trixie. I know I read all the books multiple times and imagined being a part of the Bob Whites. I recently discovered my 1988 library summer reading log, and I think all the Trixies were on it. From a nostalgia perspective, this is definitely a 5 star series.

As an adult, it doesn't hold up quite as well as some of my other childhood favorites. But here are a few things I noticed on this reread:
the immense medical detail and random accidents--malnourishment,
Lydia Dyslin
Mar 04, 2016 Lydia Dyslin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
This is my favorite mystery series I've ever read - and it's so much better than Nancy Drew, I've realized, after reading so many of her books for The Nancy Drew Project. Definitely read these books, especially the first six! I totally recommend it. :)
Jo
Jun 13, 2015 Jo rated it liked it
I love that everybody seems to be lining up to adopt Jim! I'd like a brother. I'll get my parents to adopt him. He seems like a good kid. I'll adopt him myself! lol.
Much drama, pretty silly. But enjoyable. I love misers/hoarders.
Victoria
May 31, 2015 Victoria rated it it was amazing
I happened upon this book recently and had to re-read it because I was a Trixie Belden addict as a child. I read Trixie Belden instead of Nancy Drew because the books involved horseback riding, a lot of it, and I loved horses. This book came out in 1948 and is definitely a reflection of those times that still rang true in the early 1970s but now seems very dated. I stilll love the innocence, camaraderie and even the simple "mysteries" that Trixie, Honey, Jim, and sometimes Brian, Mart and Bobby ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 13, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Meet Trixie, Honey, and Jim as the trio form a friendship and hunt for the treasure that is supposed to be in Jim's great uncle's old house.

This is a very favorite series from childhood on, and I just love meeting the characters again for the first time. They aren't quite themselves yet, and can be annoying as a result. Just know they grow stronger from their friendships by the next in the series.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Fans of Trixie Be...: The Secret of the Mansion - January 2013 4 5 Jan 12, 2014 05:26PM
This was awesome!! 22 44 Aug 24, 2012 05:36PM
Trixie Belden Group 2 48 Jul 29, 2012 12:33PM
  • The Mystery of the Blinking Eye

Julie Campbell was born on the 1st of June 1908 in Flushing, New York and shares the same birthday as her character, Mart Belden. As the daughter of an Army Officer, she travelled widely during her childhood and, at the age of eight, won her first short story contest while living in Hawaii.

Campbell married Char
More about Julie Campbell...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
  • The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)

“sissy.” 2 likes
“Bobby squealed with delight. “I’ll take a norange one and a labbender one,” he said happily. “Labbender is sometimes almost always my very favrit color.” 1 likes