Start by marking “Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)” as Want to Read:
Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)

Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A hilarious companion to the "New York Times" bestselling "Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I don't)" about the power of stories and storytelling.
" "
Missy loves her librarian, Miss Brooks. And she loves to go to Miss Brooks' before-school story time. But to get to Story Nook, she has to pass Billy Toomey's house--and she does "not" love Billy Toomey.
Billy always tries to s
Library Binding, 40 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Brooks' Story Nook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Brooks' Story Nook

Amy
Companion to Miss Brooks Loves Books (and I Don't). Miss Brooks decides to engage her Story Nook attendees in storytelling when the lights go out during a storm and it's too dark to read. Missy uses her story to overcome Billy's bullying.
Karin
Missy likes to get to school a little early because the librarian, Miss Brooks, has Story Nook right before class starts. Most of the time Missy takes the long way to school in order to avoid Billy Toomey, the pest that lives down the street. But, unfortunately, on the day of our story, Missy is running late AND it is raining so she decides to take the more direct route, which goes right by Billy's house.

When Missy finally arrives for Story Nook, the lights go out in the school. Miss Brooks sug
Lynn
Please read “Miss Brooks Loves Books” before this one, especially if you’re using this as a bedtime story! My five-year-old granddaughter was a bit unsettled by the snake, even though she’s not afraid of them. I scrambled to find another soothing book before expecting her to sleep peacefully. On the other hand, this would make a great daytime read aloud! Reading this first may send students to the original title to find out more about this energetic librarian.
However, she did say she liked it,
Barbara
This humorous picture book captures real life perfectly while providing a couple of lessons for young readers and teachers alike. Missy enjoys hearing a good story read, but just about every time she heads to story hour, that annoying Billy Toomey bothers her. When the read aloud title being shared by Miss Brooks is interrupted when the lights go out during a storm, she suggests that the students make up their own stories. The only Missy weaves is outlandish in many respects, but she is able to ...more
Dolores
I'm not sure what I loved more, the way Missy dealt with the bully in this story or the instructions on how to write a good story. The power of using your imagination to problem-solve...works for me. I just wish this were coming out sooner so I could put it on this summer's reading list.
Aleece
Miss Brooks is in the middle of a story when the power goes out and since she can no longer see the book she tries to have the kids tell their own stories. She tells them which elements to add to their stories (like plot) and Missy tries her hand at storytelling.

I wish I had liked this book more. I liked the original "Miss Brooks Loves Books (and I Don't)" so much that I wanted to like this one but it just fell flat. It just wasn't as entertaining as the original. The idea of teaching kids how t
babyhippoface
Missy loves that her librarian, Miss Brooks, has started a story time before school begins, but to get there, Missy has to get past Billy Toomey, who teases her by stealing her hat and threatening her with taunts of, “I'm gonna get you!”

When Missy arrives for story time one morning, Miss Brooks has changed storytime to storytelling time, and before long Missy is sharing an imaginative tale of an ogre who torments innocent children. This is a really fun story for sharing when you're talking about
Deitre
Miss Brooks’ Story Nook would be a great picture book to use in the classroom to teach students about the elements in a story. Missy arrives late to Miss Brooks’ Story Nook because of annoying Billy Toomey. During the story time, the power goes out and Miss Brooks tells the class that it will be storytelling time instead. Missy learns how to tell a story by using her experience with Billy as inspiration to invent fictional characters, setting, plot and problem to be solved. This is a fun and ima ...more
Shelli
Miss Brooks’ Story Nook is about a young girl who leaves early for school each morning so she can hear the school librarian read an amazing book to the gathered students. Arriving to school on time is made all the more challenging for the protagonist, due to a nuisance bully-of-a-neighbor. However, as she is learning good writing strategies from the librarian, she creatively comes up with a solution for her tormentor problem.

This book would be perfect to share with young writers when teaching w
Margie
Four years ago author Barbara Bottner and illustrator Michael Emberley introduced readers to a first grade student in Miss Brooks Love Books! (and I don't) who had a tough time finding a book for the Book Week celebration, but she did. When it came to warts, snorting and a particularly dreadful ogre, it was true love. Missy and her school librarian have returned in Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome!)(Alfred A. Knopf).

My full recommendation: http://librariansque
Nancy
I found two books by this author online through our public library. I found the illustrations to be very good and humorous. I loved the way this author brings her love of books to children. She mentions favorite children's books. The story deals with a little girl, who used to hate books, but has now found a love for them. She has a little boy, who attacks her on her way to school, and he steals her hats. She finds away to deal with this little boy, and there is a picture of her with hats all ar ...more
Karen Arendt
I loved this book! The illustrations are so funny- Missy looks like a ragamuffin and not at all girly. She has a problem- well, two problems, The boy next door is a bully and she likes to read but not tell stories. When the lights go out in the library during story hour, Miss Brooks turns the hour into storytelling. Missy can't think of a story: "i've got nothing." But, then she creates an ogre to deal with Billy Toomey and the story grows from there. A great book for writing, creating stories, ...more
Tasha
A sequel to Miss Brooks Loves Books, this picture book celebrates story telling. Missy loves going to Miss Brook’s Story Nook right before school each day. She takes the long way to school, because otherwise she has to go past Billy Toomey’s house and he steals her hat and yells at her. Then one day at Story Nook, the power goes out so they have to tell their own stories. Missy though insists that she’s a reader not a storyteller. But soon she is telling her own story, inspired by Billy Toomey. ...more
Diane
"'Good readers make wonderful storytellers,' said Miss Brooks."

When the lights go out on story time, Miss Brooks encourages her students to tell tales instead. "Let's close our eyes and let our minds wander. Everyone has a tale to tell." So Missy begins "An ogre lives down the street from me ..." And she spins such a tale of terror that she frightens the bully away. "It was a revolting tale with a happy ending. And I made it up myself."

A fun story to encourage young writers.

Read  Ribbet
So where do the ideas from stories come from? Miss Brooks' Story Nook is a great read aloud for teaching and talking about ideas for stories-- getting them started, keeping them going and finding the right ending. In the end, we see the power of stories to change less than desirable circumstances in one's life. Bottner and Emberly did the companion book Miss Brooks Loves Books about the need for choice and good fit books. Both titles have a place in a primary readers/writers workshop.
Christina
I loved Miss Brooks Loves Books! and have read it to the kids at the library for story time, and we just received this new one in from Barbara Bottner. This is a cute little book about reading, libraries, and bullies. Plus, it includes the word Vexing. This is my type of kids book! I highly recommend it. (but not for the super duper little, or kids who might be afraid of ogres and children eating snakes!)
Marion Bibliophile
Barbara Bottner's Missy has trouble on her way to school when Billy Toomey always steals her hat. Miss Brooks' first-thing-in-the-morning storytime helps Missy create a way to deal with Billy the Itch.

A very human character, sprightly and engaging pictures, and a creative way to deal with bullying make this a story that will capture the attention of elementary age children.
Cassaundra Day
I love this book! Miss Brooks' story nook comes to life when the lights go out at school and she challenges her students to make up their own stories. Missy is relunctant at first, but soon has the entire class involved in her tale that ends with her putting a bully in his place! I can't wait to use this book with my reading buddies and have them write their own stories!
Lynn
Very nice second book involving the enthusiastic Miss Brooks and the grumpy but endearing Missy. Emberley's illustrations are funny but also spot-on for any teacher or librarian. There is a nice little storyline about handling bullies with some nice but gentle instruction on story arcs. This will make a fun book for story hours and read alouds.
Sara Grochowski
I loved this fantastic read aloud in which the power of imagination and storytelling defeat a neighborhood bully. Missy is often late for her favorite part of the day - Miss Brooks' Story Nook - because of Billy, who picks on her as she makes her way to school. When a power outage prompts Miss Brooks to encourage the students to make up their own stories, Missy is skeptical... she likes to hear stories, not make them up! But, before she knows it, Missy is creating her very own story with a villa ...more
Kelsey
Age: 1st-2nd grade

Missy finds out a way to battle the neighborhood bully by devising a story that scares his socks off. Teachers will find this book particularly useful because it provides a nice model for proper verbal and written storytelling.
pati
I wasn't expecting much from this book because the cover was not pretty, or cute but the story inside was great! I really enjoyed the story in the story. Overall a very nice surprise!
Brindi
this was decent, a little long so it's best for accelerated readers. while it tells a story, it also broadens vocabulary and explains parts of a book, like plot, action, ending...
Naomi
3.5/5 Stars

A cute read stressing creativity/imagination in storytelling. Loved the idea of write what you know too. Good entry to working with kids on story writing.
Christen
I plan on using this for school age storytime, I love the personalities of the children and the way the story introduces children to making stories of their own.
Melissa Rochelle
Imagination, snakes, defeating a bully, storytelling, a librarian, ogres, OH MY! I think the Miss Brooks books win the night! Great reads for slightly older kiddos.
Mrs. Knott
Follow-up to Miss Brooks Loves Books! This one shares the message that everyone has a story inside of them. Cute, but not as fun as the original.
Sara K.
When the lights go out in the story nook it's time to create your own story. Missy's imagination gets us a very snake and ogre filled story.
Lauren Soucy
great illustrations but a bit too long to do as a read loud. Not the same zip and accessibility as the first.
Marcie
I liked this and think it might be helpful with students who have difficulty finding topics to write about.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Barbara Bottner, New York Times best-selling author, is a screenwriter, TV writer, and writing coach, who began her multi-hyphenate career as an artist and actor. Designing off-Broadway sets in the ’60s led her to performance and following her career in theatre, she began writing and illustrating books for children. In total, she has written over 40 books in all areas of children’s literature incl ...more
More about Barbara Bottner...
Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't) Bootsie Barker Bites An Annoying ABC Wallace's Lists The Scaredy Cats