Start by marking “Gridlock” as Want to Read:
Gridlock

Gridlock (Nate Osborne and Ashley Borden #2)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  108 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Two Iranian agents hand over one million dollars to a Russian engineer for a thumbdrive. The drive contains a deadly computer virus that could shut down all electrical power in the United States at a keystroke.

In rural North Dakota, a lineman is electrocuted, and the local cop sent to investigate is shot to death. As rolling electrical blackouts begin to shut down major US
Published April 29th 2014 by Forge Books (first published July 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gridlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gridlock

Ed
Oct 07, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accepting the premise that the objective of a "thriller" is to entertain and tangentially, to educate, "Gridlock", an enhanced sequel to 2012's "Blowout", is entertaining, educational and more. The complex issues in the plot revolve around an energy war fought against the US by Venezuela and Iran using a secret Russian computer program as a delivery system to destroy the American energy grid, sending the US into darkness and chaos. The main character is a small town sheriff in North Dakota who a ...more
Lou
Feb 02, 2014 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, moving books about two foreign agents who hand over a thumb drive with a computer program/virus which would wreak havoc with the US electric grid. The Two agents are from Iran's VEVAK intelligence service. The man given the drive is a Russian Spetnaz agent. This agent then turns the thumb drive over to a hacker in the Netherlands.
After that, a power problem develops and the local power company sends a lineman out to investigate. The lineman discovers that the cause of the outage seems to
Hilary
Jul 19, 2014 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Obviously a sequel (the affected characters virtually call it that) and influenced by Arthur Hailey himself as well as Overload, this aims to be a political terrorism-thriller but it missed the mark for me. Too much coincidence, (view spoiler) and too many people who just happen to have essential and very rare skills and knowledge talking too freely about classified info continually forced me out of the story.
John
May 23, 2014 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper
With a few major exceptions (detailed below), this was a fast read that had its good points and bad points. It may have been a sequel (there are a ton of references to a previous attack) but this isn't listed anywhere in the book. Overall it's hard to recommend for the reasons below.

Sometimes the author(s) slip into "we" mode when talking about the US, breaking the voice of the book and making it seem preachy and jingoistic at the same time.

A lot of standoffs (particularly between Nate and Marak
Matt
Jun 02, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the plot and the characters. The storyline, depicting a massive terrorist attack, is probable.

What I do not find credible is local sheriff, Nate Osborne, comes sweeping in to save the day, while federal agencies, piss and moan, as though they are impotent. Maybe a good storyline in fantasizes, and fairy tales. Both writers, I am sure, knows the difference. Maybe, the truth is too much strong to stomach, so the story is watered down. And the all lived happily together. Amen.
Mike Gabor
Jul 22, 2013 Mike Gabor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This book is set in rural North dakota. A joint Iranian and Venezuelan effort to cripple the electric power grid of the United States is underway. A local power lineman is electrocuted while trying to fix a sabatoged power line. The local sheriff and a couple just passing by are also murdered. The sheriff from the nearby county, Nate Osborne, suspects that this is not some random event and begins to investigate. he is helped by a local newspaper woman, Ashley Borden.

The premise of the book, atte
Lurch
May 10, 2014 Lurch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. There were a couple of "cringe-worthy" parts of the book that made me shake my head in disbelief, but the book did serve the purpose that I'd bought it for - to occupy my mind while I was forced to kill too many hours in a hospital with a family member. You could do a lot worse.
Rusty
Jul 23, 2014 Rusty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...because chapter 48 is that bad. Overall it's a good read, though.
Mike
Dec 29, 2014 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just could not get into this one, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to it. What really killed it for me was the investigation that was taking place after the initial incident. We as the reader already knew all we needed to know about both parties involved. The result was just boring, boring, boring. Not to mention the jarring writing, I found myself reading things over twice because of how it read. Again this was such a bummer because it really sounded interesting but j ...more
Beth
Nov 26, 2013 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay...not great. Lots of "ooh, this could happen - we'd better watch out" kind of stuff. Yeah, we know it could happen and if it does there's nothing we can do about it. I like to read about what people might do if something like this actually does occur. Ordinary people in extraordinary situations are things I like to read about. This was just another action/adventure novel without the flair of Clive Cussler or Brad Thor.
Stephen
May 16, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good novelization of how a blackout of America's electrical grid could take place via terrorist attack. The author obviously had to fictionalize much of it for security purposes, and that is perfectly fine. The fact that you start to enjoy and root for the contractor is a little disturbing. This is a great political thriller with some very good thoughts.
Mike
Sep 02, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Gives an insight on some of the issues with our power grid. Could have been edited better. Good read just for the insight and for those that read a lot of spy novels.
Jonathan Bacon
Dec 21, 2013 Jonathan Bacon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously part of a series (I missed the first book) but it stands well on its own. Intriguing, disconcerting and action packed. A good choice for light reading with a message.
Amy
Aug 09, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
These vaguely remind me of something, a couple of phrases are familiar, but I can't place them.

The Stand!
Phil
Aug 18, 2013 Phil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great idea...clunky writing...not sure I will finish. Tom Clancy or Dan Brown does this kind of stuff better
Judith
Sep 08, 2013 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast pace thriller. Gives one thought as to if this could be a scenario that could happen to the U.S.
Ryan Hillis
Jul 09, 2013 Ryan Hillis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good thriller about Iran shutting down the whole U.S. Electrical grid. A small town sheriff saves the day!!
Meakin
Sep 24, 2013 Meakin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moves right along easy-to-follow fun to read.
Mari
Oct 23, 2013 Mari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced read about Energy terrorism.
Ernest
Oct 27, 2013 Ernest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Book anyone would like
PWRL
Dec 11, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Carlos
Carlos rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
George Dewar
George Dewar rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Brock
Brock rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Stephen Conway
Stephen Conway rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Bethany Grove
Bethany Grove marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Southpawstitcher
Southpawstitcher marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Flooded Earth: Our Future In a World Without Ice Caps
  • Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
  • Snowball Earth: The Story of the Great Global Catastrophe That Spawned Life as We Know It
  • Death Notice (Kat Campbell #1)
  • Drone (Troy Pearce, #1)
  • The Alligator Man
  • Plenitude: The New Economics of True Wealth
  • The Last Line: A Novel
  • Blood Pact (Kirk McGarvey, #17)
  • Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence
  • Top Ten
  • The Collapse of Western Civilization: A View from the Future
  • The Phoenix Ascent (The Fifth Column, #3.5)
  • Still Coming
  • Trial by Fury (A Righteous Novella)
  • Code Black
  • Terminal Justice

Nate Osborne and Ashley Borden (2 books)
  • Blowout