Start by marking “Gridlock” as Want to Read:
Gridlock

Gridlock (Nate Osborne and Ashley Borden #2)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Two Iranian agents hand over one million dollars to a Russian engineer for a thumbdrive. The drive contains a deadly computer virus that could shut down all electrical power in theUnited Statesat a keystroke.

In rural North Dakota, a lineman is electrocuted,andthe local cop sent to investigate is shot to death.As rolling electrical blackouts begin to shut down major US citi
Published April 29th 2014 by Forge Books (first published July 2nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gridlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gridlock

Ed
Accepting the premise that the objective of a "thriller" is to entertain and tangentially, to educate, "Gridlock", an enhanced sequel to 2012's "Blowout", is entertaining, educational and more. The complex issues in the plot revolve around an energy war fought against the US by Venezuela and Iran using a secret Russian computer program as a delivery system to destroy the American energy grid, sending the US into darkness and chaos. The main character is a small town sheriff in North Dakota who a ...more
Lou
A good, moving books about two foreign agents who hand over a thumb drive with a computer program/virus which would wreak havoc with the US electric grid. The Two agents are from Iran's VEVAK intelligence service. The man given the drive is a Russian Spetnaz agent. This agent then turns the thumb drive over to a hacker in the Netherlands.
After that, a power problem develops and the local power company sends a lineman out to investigate. The lineman discovers that the cause of the outage seems to
Hilary
Obviously a sequel (the affected characters virtually call it that) and influenced by Arthur Hailey himself as well as Overload, this aims to be a political terrorism-thriller but it missed the mark for me. Too much coincidence, (view spoiler) and too many people who just happen to have essential and very rare skills and knowledge talking too freely about classified info continually forced me out of the story.
John
With a few major exceptions (detailed below), this was a fast read that had its good points and bad points. It may have been a sequel (there are a ton of references to a previous attack) but this isn't listed anywhere in the book. Overall it's hard to recommend for the reasons below.

Sometimes the author(s) slip into "we" mode when talking about the US, breaking the voice of the book and making it seem preachy and jingoistic at the same time.

A lot of standoffs (particularly between Nate and Marak
Matt
I like the plot and the characters. The storyline, depicting a massive terrorist attack, is probable.

What I do not find credible is local sheriff, Nate Osborne, comes sweeping in to save the day, while federal agencies, piss and moan, as though they are impotent. Maybe a good storyline in fantasizes, and fairy tales. Both writers, I am sure, knows the difference. Maybe, the truth is too much strong to stomach, so the story is watered down. And the all lived happily together. Amen.
Mike Gabor
This book is set in rural North dakota. A joint Iranian and Venezuelan effort to cripple the electric power grid of the United States is underway. A local power lineman is electrocuted while trying to fix a sabatoged power line. The local sheriff and a couple just passing by are also murdered. The sheriff from the nearby county, Nate Osborne, suspects that this is not some random event and begins to investigate. he is helped by a local newspaper woman, Ashley Borden.

The premise of the book, atte
Lurch
3.5 stars. There were a couple of "cringe-worthy" parts of the book that made me shake my head in disbelief, but the book did serve the purpose that I'd bought it for - to occupy my mind while I was forced to kill too many hours in a hospital with a family member. You could do a lot worse.
Rusty
...because chapter 48 is that bad. Overall it's a good read, though.
Mike
Just could not get into this one, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to it. What really killed it for me was the investigation that was taking place after the initial incident. We as the reader already knew all we needed to know about both parties involved. The result was just boring, boring, boring. Not to mention the jarring writing, I found myself reading things over twice because of how it read. Again this was such a bummer because it really sounded interesting but j ...more
Beth Mainord
It was okay...not great. Lots of "ooh, this could happen - we'd better watch out" kind of stuff. Yeah, we know it could happen and if it does there's nothing we can do about it. I like to read about what people might do if something like this actually does occur. Ordinary people in extraordinary situations are things I like to read about. This was just another action/adventure novel without the flair of Clive Cussler or Brad Thor.
Mike
Good book. Gives an insight on some of the issues with our power grid. Could have been edited better. Good read just for the insight and for those that read a lot of spy novels.
Jonathan Bacon
Obviously part of a series (I missed the first book) but it stands well on its own. Intriguing, disconcerting and action packed. A good choice for light reading with a message.
Amy
These vaguely remind me of something, a couple of phrases are familiar, but I can't place them.

The Stand!
Phil
Great idea...clunky writing...not sure I will finish. Tom Clancy or Dan Brown does this kind of stuff better
Judith
Fast pace thriller. Gives one thought as to if this could be a scenario that could happen to the U.S.
Ryan Hillis
Good thriller about Iran shutting down the whole U.S. Electrical grid. A small town sheriff saves the day!!
Meakin
Moves right along easy-to-follow fun to read.
Mari John
Fast paced read about Energy terrorism.
Ernest Radley
Good Book anyone would like
PWRL
Dec 11, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Chuck Wood
Chuck Wood marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Darrin
Darrin added it
Nov 14, 2014
Noreen Ackerman
Noreen Ackerman marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Al
Al added it
Sep 01, 2014
James Love
James Love marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Blowout Take This Job and Ship It: How Corporate Greed and Brain-Dead Politics Are Selling Out America Reckless!: How Debt, Deregulation, and Dark Money Nearly Bankrupted America (And How We Can Fix It!) Reckless!: How Debt, Deregulation and Dark Money Nearly Bankrupted America Electric Transmission Infrastructure and Investment Needs: Hearing Before the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, U.S. Senate