Start by marking “Drift” as Want to Read:
Drift

Drift (Detective Doyle Carrick and Nola Watkins #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  50 reviews
When Philadelphia narcotics detective Doyle Carrick loses his mother and step-father within weeks of each other, he gains a twenty-day suspension for unprofessional behavior and instructions to lay low at the unfamiliar house he’s inherited in rural Pennsylvania.

Feeling restless and out of place, Doyle is surprised to find himself falling for his new neighbor, Nola Watkins
Published April 29th 2014 by Tor Books (first published July 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Drift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drift

Patrice Hoffman
Drift is my introduction to the author Jon McGoran and I must say that I enjoyed reading this novel. Drift is narrated by Doyle Carrick, a narcotics detective from Philadelphia. After the death of his mother, and then his father(step), he is issued a twenty-day suspension after behaving badly on the job. He decides that the best thing for him is to go away to his parents' home located in Philadelphia's rural countryside.

As if things aren't bad enough for Doyle with the death of his parents, as
Christopher Irvin
DRIFT had been on my ‘to read’ list since it was released and received praise from several of my friends. In another case of “wish I had read it before I met the author” (of which I appear to have a chronic condition), I had the great pleasure of hearing McGoran read at the “Noir at the Bar” panel (a great back and forth between the main character, Doyle Carrick, and his partner) and chatting with him again, later that night.

I found DRIFT (an excellent and very appropriate title, by the way…) to
Chuck
Jon McGoran was up for some harsh scrutiny when I cracked open this book. He co-taught a fiction writing class that I attended and I wanted to see if the man practiced what he preached. With his background running the marketing of an organic food co-op, I expected his book to be preachy about the evils of GMOs and Monsanto and all the other stuff I already know about. And I know that fellow writers tend to fluff up their buddies, so after reading some of the advanced copy reviews I didn't know w ...more
Angela Wilson
This timely thrill ride will make you think twice before biting into fresh fruit.

When a Philly narcotics detective moves to the country, he never expects big city crime to follow him.

But suspended Detective Doyle Carrick has a gut for bad things - and he knows something is deadly wrong in the rural Pennsylvania town.

Farmers have sold their land to shell companies that immediately resold the property. No one knows who owns their old acres now. Carrick's lovely next door neighbor, organic farmer N
Pattie Crider
Exciting and scary, page after page, I could't set the book down. I said it would probably take be a few days to read, but I did it in one.

A realistic story set in rural Philly with references that make the setting and characters come to life. Knowing Pennsylvania as well as I do, made all the references relevant. Harrisburg, Erie, Centralia...

The main character,Doyle, is a smart ass cop, on suspension. He flees the city to take his "break" and finds himself neck-deep in genetically altered food
Marie
Just finished reading DRIFT, and wow, loved the ride. McGoran creates a character with depth and a hilarious attitude, too. I laughed out loud at many spots, but I have to say I also felt deeply moved by this character when he dealt with some heavy stuff. Excellent action, a really fresh plot and spot on writing kept me flipping the pages and left me satisfied at the end - and eager to recommend this great thriller to my friends. And the issue of messing with our food supply, and the scary belie ...more
Benoit Lelievre
I enjoyed DRIFT more than I thought I would. For a novel with a theoretical point to make (the inherent danger of GMOs), it manages to remain fun and not sanctimonious. I can't say it's the deepest novel I've ever read, and I don't mean that in a pricklish way, but it takes the right decision to be an entertaining novel rather than a moving one. I've had the same kind of pleasure reading DRIFT than I usually have watching a good episode of CSI, LAW & ORDER or another network TV show of that ...more
Ed
Suspended Philadelphia Detective Doyle Carrick heads west into rural Pennsylvania to bury his step father, falls in love and uncovers a diabolic plot to re-engineer crops. An original plot highlights this fast paced thriller with very memorable characters. Hopefully this is the start of a long running series featuring Doyle Carrick. I liked it and recommend it to my GR friends..........Ed
Maggi Hesseling
fast paced and really interesting, it has the feeling of Jack Reacher. The crime is also really complex and at the same time incredibly relevant to our time. The twists and turns make the novel even more compelling. However, it is the main character that really sells it. Doyle Carrick is a really intriguing character as well- funny, brisk, hard-ass with a softer side- he makes for an A-typical cop but a wonderful hero.
Camilla
Grim concept delivered with some humor and at a fast clip. McGoran writes about the dangers of GMOs without hammering you over the head. The main character is a likable guy/a bit of a mess (the same thing, right?) who stumbles on some criminal activity in the farmlands outside Philadelphia. Activity that should belong in a science fiction novel but, alas, is becoming alarmingly possible. Fun read!
Colleen Dambrosio
Having precious time in between classes to sneak in some selfish reading, I grabbed my copy of Drift and eagerly dug in. I was well rewarded by my choice. Doyle and Nola are intriguing and complex characters and you can't turn the pages quickly enough to learn more about them. The story is continually twisting and growing, building anticipation and excitement and genuine fear when one realizes the potential realities of something as scary as the GMO industry. It is educational, yet not overwhelm ...more
Gloria Feit
Three years after Philadelphia narcotics detective Doyle Carrick’s mother and stepfather move to what he’d always thought of as the sleepy countryside of Dunston, Pennsylvania, he finds himself driving there for the second time in several days, the first time to attend his mother’s funeral, the second to attend that of his step-father. The second time, though, he can stay somewhat longer, since he’s under suspension after an incident that also mandated he undergo mandatory Anger Management sessi ...more
Mark Mitchell
For thriller fans, Jon McGoran's DRIFT was quite satisfying on a number of levels. The plot itself offers the desired levels of twists and turns and tension, but the people and the -- let us say agencies -- creating the problems against which the novel's main character is responding, are unexpected and fresh (at least to my eyes). In other words, not the usual bad guys, which made the book all the more enjoyable to me.

Then there are the characters, the main one of whom we are concerned is Doyle
Patty
Drift is a very current suspense/thriller with all of the talk of GMOs in the news lately. Doyle Carrick is a Philadelphia cop who has a knack for finding both trouble and the bad guy. His mother and step father die within a relatively short period of time and he finds himself serving a 20 day suspension so he heads to their rural Pennsylvania home to try and settle their estates. What he finds is not the sleepy little town he expected.

I must admit that since I live on a small farm and my husban
Susan
What a great read! I love that it's got a modern twist and theme to the typical crime books. This is an ecological thriller about genetically modified foods and pharmaceuticals. When Philadelphia narcotics detective Doyle Carrick loses his mother and step-father within weeks of each other, he gains a twenty-day suspension for unprofessional behavior and instructions to lay low at the unfamiliar house he's inherited in rural Pennsylvania. Feeling restless and out of place, Doyle is surprised to f ...more
David
Drift is an incredibly fun read with thriller, mystery, and suspense elements with a large dose of eco-terrorism. The protagonists are sharp, witty, and realistically flawed. What's to not love when you have characters with names like Doyle, Nora AND Moose & Squirrel I had the great privilege to meet Jon McGoran in person recently. An excellent writer, and a really neat guy! I am looking forward to book two in the series, Deadout, releasing in August. Highly recommended!
Bella
This was the first book I read by McGoran and I really enjoyed it! Overall, it was a great read, action packed and really got me thinking. I didn't see the ending coming and how we got there was a bit convoluted. In the end it all made sense. My only complaint is the book was slow to start. Once I got about half way through I couldn't put it down. The topic is very timely and definitely sheds light on the dangers of GMOs.
Brian Tracey
Doyle Carrick has a nose for trouble and the bruises to prove it. This is an exquisitely plotted novel continually raises the states and has you on the edge of your seat wondering how Doyle is going to out of one mess after another. Read it from cover to cover in a day.
Heather
I really enjoyed reading Drift. It’s certainly a page-turner (I read the entire book in one day), and it’s well-written. It made me want to learn more about GMOs and the debate surrounding them. The character development was lacking a tiny bit, but I think sometimes character development is less important in thrillers. For me, the point of suspense/thrillers is the story itself, and Drift provides a good story. I recommend it to people who enjoy reading the suspense/thriller genre, and I’ll be k ...more
Lynda Coker
I'm not usually a big 'thriller' fan because of the overuse of violence. But this premise intrigued me, genetically engineered food chain, and of course, corrupt government schemes. Really fits the labeling laws and issues before today's state and national lawmakers.

The characters are realistic to our society and the plot is believable and relentless. The suspense and mystery are really well done. I promise, you won't see a lot of those twists coming before they hit you in the face. Nice job!
Jane
I bet Jon McGoran has seen a lot of Hollywood cop movies. A LOT of Hollywood cop movies. And I bet he was imagining his book Drift as a movie as he wrote it.

The hero, Doyle Carrick, is a likable guy. A Philadelphia narcotics detective on suspension for unprofessional behavior. Bit of a hot head, but with a good heart. If he’s not shooting at something or someone, he is being shot at. He loves his gun. He takes it with him everywhere – even into the shower at one point! And he’s even able to take
Kevin Egan
Excellent and interesting mix of cutting edge science and edge-of-your seat thrills.
Kent Lester
Jon McGoran has successfully spanned the mystery-thriller genre with his book Drift. One-part police procedural and one-part science based eco-thriller, Drift has something for everyone. With this flexibility, Jon will have the opportunity to take his main character, Doyle Carrick, in many different directions in the future. I'm eager to read the sequel, Deadout: A Thriller to see what happens next.

The pace starts out a bit slow, but it pays dividends later, as the reader has plenty of time to g
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

A high energy ride that from beginning to end had me flipping pages so quickly! Doyle is a detective that from an incident is put on suspension and he heads home to his parents' former home as they have both recently passed away. Upon arriving in the farmland of Pennsylvania, he is immediately swept into some drama that wouldn't normally be seen in this rural, small town.
Bryan
Pretty dynamic plot, couldn't put the book down.
Larry James
Jon McGoran successfully combines mystery with reality, crafting an entertaining, action packed read.
Glenn Ross
This book is a welcome addition to the Thriller genre. It was a quick enjoyable read that (only slightly) educated readers about GMO's and similar topics. No preachiness or politics to ruin my experience.

I recommend this to anyone who enjoys thrillers.
John Langan
Enjoyed the hell out of "Drift". After I attended the book launch I wondered if this book would be a little too preachy about GMOs, for my taste. I was glad to find that it was a balanced thriller... The right amount of suspense and tech. Great read!
Jim
A better than average story about a very interesting concept regarding GMO's. I liked it!
  • The Samson Effect
  • Shadows of Doubt (A Series of Shadows #1)
  • Blood and Bone
  • Beluga (Nick Reid, #2)
  • Children of the Plantation
  • Death's Last Run: A Clare Vengel Undercover Novel
  • The Alligator Man
  • Rendezvous
  • The Leveling
  • Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)
  • Going Dark (Thorn, #13)
  • Ghosts of Bungo Suido
  • Massacre Pond (Mike Bowditch, #4)
  • Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
  • Blackbriar
  • Sandstorm
  • Laughter Is Sacred Space: The Not-So-Typical Journey of a Mennonite Actor
  • The Doomsday Key and The Last Oracle with Bonus Excerpts: A Sigma Force Novel

Detective Doyle Carrick and Nola Watkins (2 books)
  • Deadout: A Thriller
Deadout: A Thriller After Effects Appetite: A Short Story Body Trace Tales from the Cobra Wars: A G.I. Joe Anthology