Start by marking “My Humongous Hamster” as Want to Read:
My Humongous Hamster

My Humongous Hamster

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Whethertaking a spin onthe Ferris wheel,stopping a burglary in progress, napping at the foot of a mountain, or gazing longingly off into a sunset, Humongous Hamster is a hero every kid will adore. He eats trees like broccoli, gives kids a ride to the park, and scares the neighbor’s cat. He is so silly that he's completely irresistible. In the end, though, he misses his hum ...more
Published February 11th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about My Humongous Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Humongous Hamster

S.Michelle
While this is a really cute hamster book, I wish that the cage (and it is a cage, not a house) was of an acceptable size for hamsters.

Golden hamsters, such as the one portrayed in My Humongous Hamster grow to be at least 5-6 inches long and need space to move around. The cages sold in stores and advertised as "for hamsters" are actually very cruel to our fuzzy little friends. Just think, how would you like to live in a 8ft by 6ft room, with just your bed and a table for the rest of your life? It
Edward Sullivan
Fans of Dav Pilkey's Dogzilla and Kat Kong will enjoy this one.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool
Animals: Pet hamster

A great representation of the word "humongous" with no hyperbole here. That hamster is BIG. Sure the storyline doesn't make much sense because it is purely based on a "what-if" situation but the photographs make it seem so real! What if your hamster kept eating and eating until he became humongous?!
Barbara
Relying on up close photographs of an adorable hamster, the author of this picture book imagines what might happen if the little creature ate so much and so fast that he no longer fit in his cage. The photos of the hamster having fun on the Ferris wheel, munching on trees, surveying the cityscape, and trying to find a place to sleep are funny. But in the end, despite all those outdoor adventures the hamster would be having, the narrator is sure he will return home since he misses his human compa ...more
Sharyn Craft
The book was not what I was expecting. I thought it would be a story of a humongous hamster. No. It is about a boy who says that if he overfed his hamster, it would get too big to live in his house, too big to play in his wheel, etc. That's the whole book. Not very long and not very entertaining.
Nora
Jul 03, 2014 Nora rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: jp
What would happen if your hamster ate so much that he grew humongous? He could run in a ferris wheel and eat trees like broccolis~! But what if he missed you, so he grew small again? Then he could live in his house and play with you.
Steven Matview
This book is really similar to Dav Pilkey's Kat Kong and Dogzilla. Same use of actual animal photographs blown up and inserted in a background that makes them appear larger than in real life. It's a quick read but has a few cute pages.
Robin
Pulled this one from a box of newly arrived picture books and I think it's really inspired. Using photos for illustrations, the narrator challenges us to think about what would happen if a hamster got really, really big!
Mary
This is a fun book for children who have hamsters as pets or who just like silly things. The imagination of the narrator is contagious as the reader discovers many of the the things that could happen if a hamster were to grow to unbelievable size. The images are large and colorful, which makes it a fun book to read aloud.
Jodie
The narrator wonders what it would be like if the pet hamster ate so much it would not fit in its cage anymore. There would be both good and bad things with a humongous hamster.
Tracy
I want to squeeze this adorable, huge hamster! I think my niece will get a kick out of seeing a giant hamster looming over a city and giving kids a ride on his back. Love it!
Cemeread
A child imagines what would happen if his hamster ate his whole bowl of food in one gulp. Digitally altered photos of a hamster and people are used to illustrate the book.
Rachel
Interesting altered photo illustrations. Some of the text word choices and placement are awkward. But a great connection to using your imagination.
Michelle Neuwirth Gray
Adorable. You just want to hug the Humongous Hamster! This would be fun in a pets storytime.
Sara
Another entry into my GIGANTIC animals story time. I think I'm going to have to actually do it.
Colleen
This is a great story to read with 1st/2nd graders. It just silly and fun.
Heydi Smith
Wonderful pictures and great story. Definitely a fun one for storytime.
Penny Ramirez
Darling photos and a fun storyline. I'll share this with the younger set!
Sharon Lawler
Photo essay on the ramifications of being a humongous hamster.
Josiah
May 19, 2014 Josiah added it
Recommends it for: Never read again
Recommended to Josiah by: The devil
It sucked so bad
Beth
I loved the use of scale in the photographs of the hamster to make him appear humongous. Very clever.
Lynn Christiansen
I was ridiculously amused by this book. So cute!
Mary
Mary added it
Feb 01, 2015
Christine Turner
Christine Turner marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
My Humongous Hamster My Humongous Hamster Goes to School Wild Child The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)