Start by marking “The Mystery of the Blinking Eye” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Blinking Eye

The Mystery of the Blinking Eye (Trixie Belden #12)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  1,317 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
After a Mexican fortune-teller slips a strange Spanish poem into her purse, Trixie and the Bob-Whites find themselves in the middle of a New York City mystery. Villains, thieves, and danger are all foreseen by the fortune-teller, but what do thieves want with Trixie?
Published May 24th 2005 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Blinking Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Blinking Eye

Bailey Marissa
There's an actual mystery to solve! There's actual consequences to this mystery! All the BWotG are there (my bby Dan finally gets to participate) in NYC, along with the new friends from The Happy Valley Mystery!

This book is in my top 5 of favorite TB books.

Recommended 11/12+ for a fortune teller and scary situations.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
June 2005: One of my favorites. Is it because Dan gets to go? Maybe. :) I love the NYC setting and how even the "locals" get a kick out of all the tourist sites. The Spanish poem that miraculously rhymes when translated to English is actually more amusing than annoying to me. I love the night of entertainment and food at the apartment and I think I even like that this is the first time Trixie gets in REAL danger with REAL criminals and that the boys come to save the day in a smart way that kind ...more
April Brown
Dec 04, 2012 April Brown rated it really liked it
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1964?.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story -
Kelly
Sep 02, 2007 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit, mystery
Another favorite Trixie. The Bob-Whites go to New York City with some friends from Iowa. Trixie helps a Mexican fortune teller at JFK and the woman writes her some mysterious poem in Spanish. Honey's housekeeper translates it -- amazingly enough, the poem RHYMES when translated to English. And then there is danger and stuff. My dad took me to New York with him when I was about 12, and all the tourist places I wanted to visit came from this book.
Lisa
Mar 08, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 12 and the Bob Whites travel to New York which seemed so grownup and sophisticated to me at the time. Loved this book (Dan is also included in the story).
J.L. Day
May 03, 2015 J.L. Day rated it it was amazing
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
Constance
This week while my friends are in New York and I'm at home, I found I enjoyed a little trip to the East Coast of yesteryear via the medium of Trixie Belden. I'm not going to argue this is great literature, but it's fun for what it is: cozily wholesome mysteries for the younger set. I owned the first 16 Trixie Belden books growing up, and I've always remembered this one for its travelogue of New York City 1960s-style - although I couldn't have guess the era at the time. Even in my youth, I did no ...more
Lydia Dyslin
Jun 25, 2015 Lydia Dyslin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads, mysteries
This book was really, really good! I think that the setting was really cool, and I liked reading all about the different places in New York City that the Bob-Whites visited.

The whole thing with the prophecy from the Mexican woman was a little weird, and very unnecessary to the plot. I thought the poem was clever, though. It must have taken a long time to make all of that up.

I would like to bring up this yet again - Trixie makes mistakes. When Trixie rode in a cab to that part of town I was thi
Dawn Michelle
This is one of my favorites because I have been to NYC and have seen many of the places that they go when they are there.
I also find it ironic that I lived in Westchester County, right in the heart of Sleepy Hollow land after being such a HUGE fan of these books. It is so cool!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of this series, I have two books that I practically know by heart. This book and "The Mystery of the Emeralds". I am not sure what the draw was [wi
Madeline Henricksen
Aug 05, 2012 Madeline Henricksen rated it really liked it
Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Blinking Eye is book number twelve in the Trixie Belden mystery series. Trixie Belden and Honey Wheeler are best friends, horse lovers, and detectives who always seem to accidentally find a mystery waiting to be solved. In this book, the pair travel to New York with their friends Ned, Barbara, and Bob. Trixie gets a prophecy from a Mexican fortune teller and tries to figure it out, but all to no avail. She buys an old Spanish idol, and immediately thieves sta ...more
Bobbi Rightmyer
Apr 16, 2010 Bobbi Rightmyer rated it it was amazing
While on vacation, theBob-Whites are staying at the Wheelers' deluxe apartment in New York City, where they will meet their friends from Iowa - Ned, Barbara and Bob. When the gang goes to the Kennedy Airport to pick up their friends, Trixie helps out a mysterious traveler who hands her a strange written fortune. Leave it to Trixie to stumble into a mystery!

Later, while window shopping with Honey, Trixie finds an ugly wooden statue she just has to have. Soon after buying the curious little statue
Naomi Blackburn
May 11, 2014 Naomi Blackburn rated it it was amazing
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 16, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
On a whim, Trixie picks up an idol so ugly it's cute. However, when people start following the Bob-Whites and their friends around New York City, she begins to wonder what she's stumbled into. I like the mystery in this book, and the characters are wonderful. However, there is a prophecy that forms a backbone to the plot, and that has always bugged me.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Joy Gerbode
Feb 07, 2012 Joy Gerbode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This didn't use to be one of my favorites ... but having visited New York City since I last read it, I found it much more fun this time, as I knew where the kids were most of the time, and could follow them on a map in my head. I enjoyed that!

Sept 2013 ... enjoyed the book again, but I wondered about kids going to the theater to see a "movie" rather than attending a Broadway play? Anyway, enjoyed the book yet again, and all the references to places in NYC that I got to visit a few years ago.
Miri
Jul 03, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
The Bob-White's are in New York City, sightseeing with their friends. After helping a woman at the airport, Trixie is given a little purse with a strange poem inside, surprisingly the poem seems to predict strange events that surround the Bob-Whites after Trixie buys a statue of a head at an antique store. They are followed by thugs intent on stealing the little statue, but why?
Susann
Jan 30, 2009 Susann rated it liked it
Recommended to Susann by: everyone, apparently
The NYC setting was lots of fun, especially in seeing how the tourist sites have changed over the past 40+ years. But I am VERY disappointed in Trixie for going off on her own like that. Really, Trixie. Haven't you listened to a thing Dan has said?
jessica wilson
I love Trixie and the gang. especially with their good old fashioned wholesomeness. They are smart, funny and concerned for others.I may sound like a fuddy-duddy but I'd take The Bob-Whites over any Gossip Girl any day!
Tara Calaby
This would have been more enjoyable if it didn't read like a travelogue for New York city for about 25% of the book...
Claire
Nov 27, 2014 Claire rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I appreciate Dan getting a better chance to actually be a character rather than just the "oh he couldn't make it on this trip" guy in this book.
Lia
Nov 01, 2008 Lia rated it it was amazing
I loved this whole series my Mom passed them all down to me.
Molly's Sister
May 05, 2008 Molly's Sister rated it it was amazing
I liked this one alot even though it is one of the ghost writer books.
Laura Wright
Oct 06, 2010 Laura Wright rated it liked it
I remember these books from when I was younger and regret they have fallen out of favor with libraries.
Debra
My schoolmate Peggy owned the whole series of these books, and loaned them to me one or two at a time to read in junior high school. I loved them!
Kolan
May 22, 2012 Kolan rated it really liked it
read when I was eleven through 13
Karsyn
Sep 07, 2016 Karsyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbrc-wobble
3.5 stars. I like the prophecy part of this story, that was neat. The songs were tedious and dull but that's just my opinion. Good one about NYC without too much of a history lesson.
Erin
Sep 18, 2008 Erin rated it liked it
Was this the one where Trixie and Jim hooked up? Probably not...but I still loved it when I was a kid!
Anna
Sep 29, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So exciting and I loved the characters as usual.
Courtney
Being older with a teenager of my own, I realize that if Trixie showed up at my house, I would lock the door.
Kim
Jul 11, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
book 12
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #51)
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds (A Meg Mystery, #1)
  • Secret of the Samurai Sword
  • The Secret Agent on Flight 101 (Hardy Boys, #46)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)