The Mystery of the Blinking Eye (Trixie Belden # 12)

The Mystery of the Blinking Eye (Trixie Belden #12)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  867 ratings  ·  24 reviews
�Trixie Cuidadito!� After a Mexican fortune-teller slips a strange Spanish poem into her purse, Trixie and the Bob-Whites find themselves in the middle of a New York City mystery. Villains and thieves and danger are all foreseen by the fortune-teller, but what do thieves want with Trixie?
Published May 24th 2005 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1963)

The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Gatehouse Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Series
11th out of 39 books — 12 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Books That Everyone Should've Read
63rd out of 72 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonnie
June 2005: One of my favorites. Is it because Dan gets to go? Maybe. :) I love the NYC setting and how even the "locals" get a kick out of all the tourist sites. The Spanish poem that miraculously rhymes when translated to English is actually more amusing than annoying to me. I love the night of entertainment and food at the apartment and I think I even like that this is the first time Trixie gets in REAL danger with REAL criminals and that the boys come to save the day in a smart way that kind...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1964?.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story -...more
Kelly
Another favorite Trixie. The Bob-Whites go to New York City with some friends from Iowa. Trixie helps a Mexican fortune teller at JFK and the woman writes her some mysterious poem in Spanish. Honey's housekeeper translates it -- amazingly enough, the poem RHYMES when translated to English. And then there is danger and stuff. My dad took me to New York with him when I was about 12, and all the tourist places I wanted to visit came from this book.
Lisa
Book 12 and the Bob Whites travel to New York which seemed so grownup and sophisticated to me at the time. Loved this book (Dan is also included in the story).
Mark Baker
On a whim, Trixie picks up an idol so ugly it's cute. However, when people start following the Bob-Whites and their friends around New York City, she begins to wonder what she's stumbled into. I like the mystery in this book, and the characters are wonderful. However, there is a prophecy that forms a backbone to the plot, and that has always bugged me.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Dawn Michelle
This is one of my favorites because I have been to NYC and have seen many of the places that they go when they are there.
I also find it ironic that I lived in Westchester County, right in the heart of Sleepy Hollow land after being such a HUGE fan of these books. It is so cool!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of this series, I have two books that I practically know by heart. This book and "The Mystery of the Emeralds". I am not sure what the draw was [wi...more
Madeline Henricksen
Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Blinking Eye is book number twelve in the Trixie Belden mystery series. Trixie Belden and Honey Wheeler are best friends, horse lovers, and detectives who always seem to accidentally find a mystery waiting to be solved. In this book, the pair travel to New York with their friends Ned, Barbara, and Bob. Trixie gets a prophecy from a Mexican fortune teller and tries to figure it out, but all to no avail. She buys an old Spanish idol, and immediately thieves sta...more
Bobbi Rightmyer
While on vacation, theBob-Whites are staying at the Wheelers' deluxe apartment in New York City, where they will meet their friends from Iowa - Ned, Barbara and Bob. When the gang goes to the Kennedy Airport to pick up their friends, Trixie helps out a mysterious traveler who hands her a strange written fortune. Leave it to Trixie to stumble into a mystery!

Later, while window shopping with Honey, Trixie finds an ugly wooden statue she just has to have. Soon after buying the curious little statue...more
Joy Gerbode
This didn't use to be one of my favorites ... but having visited New York City since I last read it, I found it much more fun this time, as I knew where the kids were most of the time, and could follow them on a map in my head. I enjoyed that!

Sept 2013 ... enjoyed the book again, but I wondered about kids going to the theater to see a "movie" rather than attending a Broadway play? Anyway, enjoyed the book yet again, and all the references to places in NYC that I got to visit a few years ago.
Susann
Mar 03, 2009 Susann rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Susann by: everyone, apparently
The NYC setting was lots of fun, especially in seeing how the tourist sites have changed over the past 40+ years. But I am VERY disappointed in Trixie for going off on her own like that. Really, Trixie. Haven't you listened to a thing Dan has said?
jessica wilson
I love Trixie and the gang. especially with their good old fashioned wholesomeness. They are smart, funny and concerned for others.I may sound like a fuddy-duddy but I'd take The Bob-Whites over any Gossip Girl any day!
Debra
My schoolmate Peggy owned the whole series of these books, and loaned them to me one or two at a time to read in junior high school. I loved them!
Tara Calaby
This would have been more enjoyable if it didn't read like a travelogue for New York city for about 25% of the book...
Laura Wright
I remember these books from when I was younger and regret they have fallen out of favor with libraries.
Erin
Was this the one where Trixie and Jim hooked up? Probably not...but I still loved it when I was a kid!
Chloe
I love all Trixie Belden books there my favorite but this is got to be the best one I've read.
Molly's Sister
I liked this one alot even though it is one of the ghost writer books.
Lia
I loved this whole series my Mom passed them all down to me.
Anna
So exciting and I loved the characters as usual.
Ubalstecha
Fun Trixie mystery with 1950s style badguys.
Elizabeth
This one is awesome! I really like the ending!
Kolan
read when I was eleven through 13
Marina04
Marina04 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Irish
Irish marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • Mystery of the Glowing Eye (Nancy Drew, #51)
  • Mystery of the Whale Tattoo (Hardy Boys, #47)
  • The Bobbsey Twins on a Houseboat (Bobbsey Twins, #6)
  • Five Little Peppers Midway
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...
The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8) The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9) The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7) The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden #10) The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)