Start by marking “A Change of Heart (Perfect, Indiana #3)” as Want to Read:
A Change of Heart (Perfect, Indiana #3)

A Change of Heart (Perfect, Indiana #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  693 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Cory Marcel worked tirelessly over eight grueling years to develop a successful military career. After her commanding officer violently assaulted her, she lost everything—especially her trust in people. Despite the emotional damage threatening to sink her, Cory agrees to accept a new job at a furniture store in Perfect—a job that could offer the fragile brunette the chance ...more
Published November 26th 2013 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about A Change of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change of Heart

Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
**** 4 PTSD Stars ****

ARC provided by Montlake Romance via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Publication Date - November 26, 2013

A Change of Heart is # 3 in a stand-alone series about a town named, Perfect, Indiana. This book is Cory and Ted's romantic story. I didn't read the other books and there wasn't a problem at all following the story and getting to know the characters from the prior books. This was a sweet romance with moderate angst.

Cory has just returned from Afghanistan with
Darcy
Oct 17, 2015 Darcy rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2015
Boy this one really got to me. I felt for Cory, no woman should be raped, let alone raped by a superior officer and then have the organization you work for betray you. I think that part is what made me want to rant. First Cory was raped literally, then it was like she was raped again by the Army for how they treated her in the aftermath.

I have to admit that Ted has never been my favorite character, there was something about him that rubbed me the wrong way. However Ted was the perfect person fo
Librarian Judith
Jan 30, 2015 Librarian Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Ms. Longley has taken on a tough subject--Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and has brought us some wonderful characters. I love them all--and can hardly wait to read some of the other books in the series just so I can read more about these characters.

Cory is not only fighting against the PTSD that she suffered, not as a result of enemy action but as a result of actions by someone she should have been able to trust. I hurt for her as she was going through the pain that is part of healing in a cas
Karen
Nov 07, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
A Change of Heart was a emotional but heartwarming story about Ted and Cory. I had been waiting for this book in the series to come out for months and I wasn't disappointed! I love Ms Longleys writing style and I always feel like Im there with the characters. At times, its like you can actually feel what theyre going thru! Awesome read!!!
Jackie
Dec 08, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
4.5, loved it!
Books Mom
Mar 21, 2014 Books Mom rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about getting through the bad stuff with the help of some wonderful friends. Truly, the cast of characters in this book are what made it special. It's not that I didn't enjoy our hero and heroine, because I absolutely did, but this book is really about a group of folks who felt so real, I'd know them if I passed them on the street.

Ms. Longley has a great skill for story-telling and making a reader care. She breathed life into these folks and gave them real problems and
Melissa S Frederick
Feb 16, 2014 Melissa S Frederick rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
A Broken heart.............

I give this book 4 stars.

What does this mean to me? I loved this book, it was a great read!

This book is part of a series called A love from the heartland, however it can be read as a stand alone book. I did not realize this book was part of a series until after I began reading and noticed the tag line under the title. I'm actually thrilled now and can't wait to grab some of the other books in the series to find the stories behind some of the background characters in th
Maria
Dec 21, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for a fair and honest review.

A contemporary romance dealing with serious emotional and mental health issues, A Change of Heart by Barbara Longley, made me reflect on things most of us take for granted. Well developed characters, good dialogue and plenty of angst kept me turning the pages to discover what was going to happen next. While the third book in the Perfect, Indiana series, this book can be read on its own
Katie Fairbanks
Dec 04, 2013 Katie Fairbanks rated it it was amazing
I first came across Barbara Longley when book one from the Perfect, Indiana series was on sale at Amazon. With family members who have been in the military and suffered from PTSD, I decided to give her book a try. I am so glad I did! I loved the first book, Far from Perfect, that I immediately went out and downloaded the second book, The Difference A Day Makes. Again, I wasn't disappointed. As soon as I could I preordered the third book, A Change of Heart, but was lucky enough to win a copy thro ...more
Janga
Dec 18, 2013 Janga rated it really liked it
A Change of Heart is the third book in Barbara Longley’s Perfect, Indiana series, after Far from Perfect (Noah Langford and Ceejay Lovejoy) and The Difference a Day Makes (Paige Langford and Ryan Malloy). I’m a fan of the series because Longley has presented the lingering problems affecting Afghanistan veterans with surprising depth and a refreshing absence of the sentimental clichés to which authors writing about such characters too frequently resort. I found the third book particularly interes ...more
Victoria

Perfect is a special place... All you have to do is be open to what comes your way, and things will change for the better.

A Change of Heart is the poignant story of Cory Marcel, a woman who is battling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after being attacked and raped by her Commanding Officer while serving in the Army. Cory faught to bring her attacker up on charges while the Army faught to discredit her. Eventually she is successful, her attacker does go to jail, but the Army labels Cory as being u
Char (1RadReader59)
Nov 21, 2013 Char (1RadReader59) rated it it was amazing

Cory was in the military and was raped by her C.O. The military tried to brush it under the rug but Cory took it all the way to Congress. So, the Military discharged her without pay after a year of courts in which she proved that this man raped her she was put down as “unfit for serve” and given a “borderline personality” diagnosis instead of PTSD for the rape. So, that meant no service or benefits.
She had used all her own money to fight in court to have this man put behind bars of which he w
Martha
Oct 17, 2014 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another nearly "perfect" story. Here in book # 3, Ted Lovejoy finally gets his well deserved happily-ever-after. He's a great guy and the right partner for Cory. His patience, kindness and sensitivity help her regain her confidence and trust in herself and in them.
Niccisbookblog higginson
This book is a story of self discovery for Cory, she finds out that not all men are like the officer that brutally rape and beat her and that she can trust again. Cory also found out that you dont have to struggle all alone that it is ok to let other people, people that have been in a similar place to where you are now really can help.

Ted is such a lovely guy genuine and really loving, the way he treats Cory after her attack is so very heart warming.

This story is just a lovely feel good read, yo
Bette Hansen
Nov 24, 2013 Bette Hansen rated it it was amazing
I read a LOT of books every year!! Most of those I truly enjoy and share with those I know who also love to read. Every once in a while a book comes along that truly touches my heart. For 2013 this is that book!!

This is a book about a woman's struggle with PTSD. And not your typical wartime issues. This book made me really think about some of the issues women in the military face.

I know that topic can sound dark and depressing but this book isn't either of those things. It is a book filled with
Michael  Starsheen
Another great entry in this series

Another great entry in this series

I gave this book five stars because it was a sweet, romantic read. I enjoyed the series theme of healing veterans through love, and I recommend this book for you.
Mary
Nov 22, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
It was a great third book. Loved that this time the wounded warrior was female. Also loved that Ted finally got his chance at love. This entire series was a pleasure to read. You won't regret starting (and finishing) it....
Melissa Koepke
Aug 10, 2014 Melissa Koepke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartfelt

Heartfelt

I loved this book. it dealt with some serious issues and was written beautifully. hope to read more. please enjoy

Susan Page
Jun 24, 2016 Susan Page rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story. Barbara Longley has written this series about war veterans suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, and how they manage to turn their lives around. This book is about Cory, who had spent eight years as a soldier, then was violently raped by her commanding officer. She fights to get justice, and he is eventually imprisoned, but the army basically throws her out with a dishonourable discharge, and she gets no veterans benefits, no pension. She is in a bad way, has no ...more
Tanya
Aug 07, 2014 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Ted, a character seen since book 1, finally gets his HEA. His heroine, Cory, is a survivor of rape by her commanding officer while in the military. She goes to work for L&L and meets Ted.

I adored the first two books of this series. I have to admit, this one I didn't like as well as the first two. It just fell flat to me a lot of the time. With the first two I felt the love between the main couples, the passion, the intensity. And, the timing and pacing of the first two felt better to me. Th
Tamara Hughes
Dec 10, 2013 Tamara Hughes rated it it was amazing
Loved this third book in the series. The hero in particular was such a nice, sweet guy. I also loved the twist that this military romance had the heroine as the veteran who had to deal with rape by a commanding officer. This issue has been in the news lately, and is something that needs to be addressed. Very well-written and compelling.
Corinne
Jul 23, 2016 Corinne rated it liked it
The Book:*****
The Feels: *****
The Appeal: *
3 2/3 Heartbreaking stars

What this story lacked in heat it more than made up for in heart.

Cory was violated in the worst way while serving her country. The Army turned their back on her, and she had to fight to regain her dignity and honor. The battled hardened her, and she shut herself off from feeling anything at all. Ted has known all his life what he wanted. A small town boy with dreams of owning his own business, meeting a woman to settle down wit
Marie
Dec 04, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-be-read
Great book to make you realize what some of our troops go through away from home qnd the scars both physical and mental they have to work through. This book also highlights the goodness of some companies who help our vetarans. Wish there were more. I received this book free and was not required to give a review.
Sandra C Schulte
Book 3 about Perfect, Indiana is perfect.

This 3rd book in the series is as awesome as the first two. They each are stand-alone books, but it was more enjoyable having read them in order. Knowing the characters and their histories enhanced the story. The characters are AWESOME and easy to care about. Barbara Longley is a great writer. I immediately got drawn in and it's an easy, fast-paced read.
I mostly buy books that also have Whispersync for Voice so I can fall asleep to them. I found myself
MK
Aug 30, 2014 MK rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, arc
This book brims with hope. Periods of hopelessness do not equal giving up. And that is why I will read this book again and again.

I received an advance reader copy through NetGalley. Full review at http://fernweh428.wordpress.com/2013/...
kathyhansen
Jan 17, 2014 kathyhansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faith and romance

the saga continues with a new twist on how the effects of not only war but the things that happened that change your life and how to cope with the situation and begin to get back to the life you deserve.
Cindy
Change of Heart

This was a great book. It had depth in the characters especially the main female. If you like books about service members this is for you, especially with the romance.
Susan
Nov 12, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Sweet contemporary midwestern romance. Mature (not smutty) military issues discussed. Very enjoyable series. Looking forward to Wesley's and Kyle's stories.
Jessica
Awesome

love this story on how females in the military deal with ptsd/sexual assault. I would definitely recommend it for people to read.
Sue
Dec 04, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Quick weekend read. Made the reader think about the victim's of rape in the military and the hurdles they are forced to overcome.
  • More Than a Touch (Snowberry Creek, #2)
  • Redemption (Blood and Honor, #3)
  • All For You (Coming Home, #4)
  • I Gave You My Heart, but You Sold It Online (Domestic Equalizers Book 3)
  • First Class Justice (First Class Novels, #3)
  • Hero Lies Within, A
  • Pillow Talk (Love, New Orleans Style, #2)
  • Have Yourself a Marine Christmas
  • Game of Fear (Montgomery Justice #3)
  • Loving You Is Easy (Loving You, #1)
  • Reflection Point (Eternity Springs, #6)
  • Detained
  • A Man To Hold On To (Tallgrass, #2)
  • A McKaslin Homecoming (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #5)
  • One Day in Apple Grove (Small Town USA, #2)
  • That Summer Night (Callaways, #6)
  • Wild at Heart  (The DeMarco Family, #2)
Barbara grew up in a litter of five, and she and her siblings were each born in a different state. Moving around so frequently, she learned early on how to entertain herself with stories. As an adult, she has lived on a commune in the Appalachians, taught on an Indian reservation, and traveled from coast to coast. When her own children came along, Ms. Longley decided to try something new—staying p ...more
More about Barbara Longley...

Perfect, Indiana (4 books)
  • Far from Perfect (Perfect, Indiana, #1)
  • The Difference a Day Makes (Perfect, Indiana, #2)
  • The Twisted Road to You (Perfect, Indiana, #4)

“we’re-veterans-and-you’re-not” 0 likes