Start by marking “The Mystery on the Mississippi” as Want to Read:
The Mystery on the Mississippi

The Mystery on the Mississippi (Trixie Belden #15)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,021 ratings  ·  24 reviews
It's anchors away for Trixie as she travels down the Mississippi River. No, it's not on the old-fashioned paddle-wheel steamship she always dreamed of, but the trip is still more exciting than she ever imagined. Someone is shadowing her every move, trying to steal to the mysterious graph papers Trixie found in a trash can in her hotel room in Memphis. Why are the papers so ...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery on the Mississippi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery on the Mississippi

The Secret of the Mansion by Julie CampbellThe Mystery Off Glen Road by Julie CampbellThe Red Trailer Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Gatehouse Mystery by Julie CampbellThe Happy Valley Mystery by Kathryn Kenny
Trixie Belden Series
17th out of 39 books — 12 voters
One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskeyBleeding Kansas by Sara ParetskyLost on a Mountain in Maine by Donn FendlerLife on the Mississippi by Mark TwainCapote in Kansas by Ande Parks
Name of State (USA): K-Mississippi
167th out of 170 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Ten and up.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Real world, pre - computer pre - air conditioning, pre - cell phone.

Written approximately? – 1965.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author (or a more recent publisher) should cover? Yes. A slight mention of the time frame of the story - a
Bonnie
Pierre Lontard is one of the scariest bad guys in the series. I remember he scared me as a kid. Now I love the danger! Trixie foils international gun runners in this one. I always liked the map and the "decrypting" of it by Trixie and Honey.

2012 Review:
And wrapping it up with #15-Mystery on the Mississippi. Another one I like because Dan gets to go, although Di gets left behind this time. I enjoyed this one because it was really scary, big-time mystery with Trixie and Honey (however illogical it
J.L. Day
a HUGE and most dedicated fan of Trixie and her crew. This is odd, of course, because they were MEANT for teen and pre-teen girls, but I was a young boy that read everything he could get his hands on and when I first stumbled on my first TRIXIE BELDON book I was instantly hooked!

I immediately sat about reading them all, as quickly as I could get my greedy little paws on them. Trixie is the star, or "lead" character, followed by Jim and Honey (who quickly became the love of my young life, I had
Naomi
For Christmas one year, my parents grabbed me the entire Trixie Belden set and I couldn't put them down. After I finished with them, they continued to purchase them as quickly as I could read them. Even with a learning disability, I devoured the books. I look back now and I find that Trixie Belden was much more age related to young girls, particularly to me, reading the books than Nancy Drew. There was something in these books that I found to be a greater escape than I did ND, too. I found that ...more
Miri
This was a very good addition to the Trixie Belden series. The Bobwhites are on plain mystery free vacation in St. Louis...yeah right. It started out innocently enough, until Trixie discovers some suspicious papers in the wastebasket of her motel room and soon the Bobwhites are pursued by the owners of those papers. I like the fact that this book is set on the Mississippi and they travel on a boat down the river. They also visit Hannibal, Missouri, the home of Tom Sawyer!

There was only one part
Mark Baker
Trixie and her friends take a trip to Missouri, where Trixie finds some stranger papers in her hotel room's garbage can. Soon, someone is following them. What do the symbols on the paper mean?

I'm torn on this one. It was my introduction to the series, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. The fast moving and suspenseful plot captivated the 7th grade me and introduced me to life long friends. However, reading it as an adult, boy to all the characters do some pretty stupid things.

Rea
Erin
How the heck does this girl get to travel so much?
Dayna
The fifteenth book in the Trixie Belden series. I felt that this particular mystery was “too big” for Trixie. There was a LOT going on in this one, and the ending really had me feeling that Trixie was well and truly out of her depth in this one.

In fact, there was probably too much going on in this one. I did like the travel around the Mississippi area, and some of the historical stuff around it, that was quite interesting. I just didn’t overly enjoy the mystery in this one.
Freyja Vanadis
This is the last of the three Trixie Belden books, and the only one that's written by "Kathryn Kenny". I much prefer the original author, Julie Campbell. Her style is much more pleasant and easy to read. Whoever was writing under the pseudonym "Kathryn Kenny" didn't understand the spirit and the essence of Trixie Belden and the rest of the group at all.
Madeline Henricksen
Trixie Belden and the Mystery on the Mississippi is book number fifteen in the Trixie Belden mystery series. Trixie Belden and Honey Wheeler are best friends, horse lovers, and detectives who always seem to accidentally find a mystery waiting to be solved. In this book, the club is traveling to Saint Louis on a steamboat on the Mississippi River. Trixie finds some important papers in their hotel room before they get on the boat. She takes them with her, even though she thinks they are of no impo ...more
Macjest
This wasn't one of the better written Trixies sad to say. It seemed that there were a few too many instances of things happening conveniently to propel the storyline. But I do love the danger. It was one of the few Trixies to more accurately portray the consequences of your actions.
Sea Shull
This book by Kathryn Kenny, is exciting and has drops of drama added in. *Spoiler* Trixie was correct on who she thought was doing this or that and also on judging people *Spoiler over* Which because of what Trixie Thought of this person of that one, I took a second look at their personality and ask myself, could they have done it? Being book 15 in the series, I've read the other books, and Kathryn does a good job of changing the conflict and how it's solved, Which makes each stories of hers dif ...more
Evan
Oct 01, 2010 Evan added it
That's right. No stars. This book should be retitled "Trixie Belden and the Creepy Cold War Propaganda Mystery." Trixie comes across as a stubborn, dim, kittenish brat. This is an infuriatingly bad book, that is irredeemably racist, sexist, corny and at times just inexplicable. Other books I loved as a child reward adult rereading, but not this one.
Joy Gerbode
Sept 2013 ... not one of my favorites, perhaps because of the way Trixie goes off with someone, knowing full well she should not, and gets into way more trouble than is imaginable. Still, lots of good geography lessons about the Mississippi River and surrounding areas, and lots of fun, and the crew that we've come to love throughout the series.
Joy Gerbode
Good book ... hard to see Trixie get out of one jam just to place herself in peril yet again ... I don't think she's really all that dumb! However the gang has another great adventure, with some nice descriptions of some of the things they saw in the St. Louis area.
Kelly
Trixie foils spies! Or was it counterfeiters? Gun runners? I forget. However, the gang takes a nice trip on the Mississippi River, and as usual, Trixie and Honey end up in MORTAL PERIL.
Alicia
I read most of these as a kid and still have some in storage. I loved them then....a little too young for me now but they are still a good read..
Debra
My schoolmate Peggy owned the whole series of these books, and loaned them to me one or two at a time to read in junior high school. I loved them!
Tacey
Again, go home Bob Whites! However, I am a sucker for graph paper; so I like the drawings the girls find in their hotel room.
Chrisavye
Just another great Trixie Belden book..........is sure to entertain you!!!!
Shelby Pontius
Another one of the many Trixie Belden books in the series that was good.
Lia
I loved this whole series my Mom passed them all down to me.
Lily E
3 estrelas - grande leitura da minha pré-adolescência!
Linda Benner
Linda Benner marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Mollie
Mollie added it
Jul 17, 2015
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • Cherry Ames, Student Nurse (Cherry Ames, #1)
  • By the Light of the Study Lamp (The Dana Girls Mystery Stories, #1)
  • Secret of the Samurai Sword
  • The Mystery of the Singing Serpent (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #17)
The Kathryn Kenny pseudonym was created by Western Publishing House in 1961, three years after Julie Campbell wrote her last book (#6) of the Trixie Belden series. There were several ghost writers who wrote Trixie Belden stories under this pseudonym. Some have been identified and later credited but some are still unknown.
More about Kathryn Kenny...

Trixie Belden (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden #1)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)
  • The Mystery Off Glen Road (Trixie Belden, #5)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)
The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8) The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9) The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7) The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10) The Mystery at Bob-White Cave (Trixie Belden #11)